News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1500pt ULTHWE  (Read 1381 times)

Offline #1# ork killa

• I told you before I AM the lizard queen...err king
1500pt ULTHWE
« on: March 3, 2003, 02:37:49 AM »
hello this is my 1500pt ulthwe army list please post comments advice (and critisisem if you HAVE to)
thanks

HQ seer council
farseer w/cc weapon,pistol+mind war
farseer w/cc weapon,pistol+fortune
farseer w/cc weapon,pistol+guide
warlock w/cc weapon,pistol+destructor
warlock w/cc weapon,pistol+enhance
warlock w/cc weapon,pistol+embolden
=249pts

ELITES
8 banshees+exarch w/ executioer
wave serpant w/ tl brightlances+spirit stone
=300pts

TROOPS
12 storm guardians w/x2 flamers+warlock w/cc weapon,pistol+destructor
=130pts
12 storm guardians w/x2 flamers+warlock w/cc weapon,pistol+conceal
=130pts
10 defender guardians w/ star cannon
=130pts
=130pts

FAST ATTACK
1 vyper w/ star cannon+spirit stone
=75pts

HEAVY SUPPORT
wraithlord w/ star cannon or brightlance
=120pts
4 dark reapers+exarch w/ EML+fast shot
=233pts

=1452pts
i don't know wahat to get with the  extra 48 points

Offline Eldar Badger

• I am the Cream Cheese Master!
Re:1500pt ULTHWE
« Reply #1 on: March 3, 2003, 05:10:13 AM »
Okay, I'm going to start off by saying that I don't know much about ulthwe armies.  

I think you are allowed to upgrade 2 squads of guardians to black guardians at no additional cost and they get +1 BS or WS and +1 Toughness if I remember correctly.... definitely do that, heh.  Also, I would change the warlock power destructor to either enhance or conceal.

For the wraithlord, I would probably suggest a brightlance for a little extra tank killing power.  Or maybe equip one (or both) storm squads with haywire grenades or the warlocks with witchblades.

Other than that, it looks like you have a pretty solid army for 1500 pts.  I really prefer 2000 pt. armies with Eldar... its hard to fit all the stuff I really want into less than that, heh.

Anyways, I hope that helps a little boss.

Take Care,
-Cream Cheese Master

Offline #1# ork killa

« Reply #2 on: March 3, 2003, 10:27:08 AM »
thanks for your help badger ;D 8)

Offline Wind of Fate

• I'm a llama, hear me roar!
« Reply #3 on: March 3, 2003, 04:10:04 PM »
Firstly, as your seer council seems fairly combatty, I would suggest that you tried to afford some witch blades for them. I agree with the storm squads as these should be good for supporting or countercharging with the banshees. I might switch the Vyper for something a little more durable e.g. another squad of defenders with a brightlance. Otherwise this list seems great.

Offline Farseer Lael

• Infinity Circuit
« Reply #4 on: March 3, 2003, 04:54:38 PM »
I agree with Wind of Fate. You really need to give the farseers in your counil at least a witchblade. Espically if you do want to go a little offensive with them, wounding on 5's vs marines will get a little annoying espically when they have a 3+ save anyway.

Black guardians either get a +1 BS for defender or + WS for storm thats all.

One vyper on its own sometimes is a little lacking. I found 2 are good as you can flank down both sides with both.
Lael Treventhius.
Farseer of the Craftworld Treventhius Psychic Warhost.

Offline Purple Area

• Ancient
« Reply #5 on: March 3, 2003, 06:31:23 PM »
Yes, to get an additional Vyper, drop the spirit stones (don't need them) on the first one, and then 1 guardian..
That should leave you enough points for a 65 point Vyper with a starcannon.
http://rangerofalaitoc.proboards25.com/index.cgi

Highschool:  Too many characters and not enough plot.

If she can't take a joke, f*** her.
~ Tucker Max

When reason fails, go for volume
~ Calvin

Offline Jos

« Reply #6 on: March 3, 2003, 08:04:35 PM »
Your seer council could get really doubtful about what it wxactly is you wish from them - are they to beat something up or to stay away and have their minions do the fighting, with their support of course? I the first case, get some witch blades, at least for the farseers. Besides making them an above medium close combat unit against anything but terminators, they are then able to transform any enemy dreadnought into so much scrapped metal (I've had a bad run-in with a close combat chaos dread, and kinda missed these old geezers).

Another vyper doesn't sound half bad either.

IMHO dark reapers shouldn't have an exarch. He is rather expensive, all indirect fire will be directed at him and worst of all: If he is shooting vehicles with his EML, the squad just stands around in a useless fashion. If his shooting marines, he certainly isn't using his EML to it's full effect, but could do as well with a reaper launcher.

Offline Savaughn

• Ancient
  • Afluffistic Fluff Heretic
« Reply #7 on: March 3, 2003, 09:19:49 PM »
Hi Killa,

I think you need to think about your strategy a little bit.  Think about how you plan on moving your forces around the board, who are there as vehicle killers, who are there are as close combat squads, who are there as shock troops, etc.  I see a lot of indicision in this list, which tells me you aren't sure how to use it yet.

farseer w/cc weapon,pistol+mind war
farseer w/cc weapon,pistol+fortune
farseer w/cc weapon,pistol+guide
warlock w/cc weapon,pistol+destructor
warlock w/cc weapon,pistol+enhance
warlock w/cc weapon,pistol+embolden
=249pts
Indecision.  Is this a combat squad that is FoF'ing its way towards the enemy to tear into it?  Is this a distance squad?  Why do you have embolden on a squad with a leadership of 10?  What exactly are you going to guide in this list?  How would do you plan on using Mind War?

Make a choice here.  If you're going to go CC, then kill the guide, swap out Embolden for destructor, and get Witchblades.  If not, put augment on all three warlocks and swap out guide with a second fortune or mind war.
ELITES
8 banshees+exarch w/ executioer
wave serpant w/ tl brightlances+spirit stone
=300pts
Why only 8 banshees?  Numbers mean everything in CC....
TROOPS
12 storm guardians w/x2 flamers+warlock w/cc weapon,pistol+destructor
=130pts
12 storm guardians w/x2 flamers+warlock w/cc weapon,pistol+conceal
=130pts
=130pts
=130pts
These guys I like.  Get more guardians if you can.
FAST ATTACK
1 vyper w/ star cannon+spirit stone
=75pts
Spirit stone?  A bolter can take this thing out.  Don't waste your points.
HEAVY SUPPORT
wraithlord w/ star cannon or brightlance
=120pts
4 dark reapers+exarch w/ EML+fast shot
=233pts
My favorite part of the list.

Overall I like the list.  I think you need more teeth, though.  Good choices would include another Reaper, Banshee, or Scorpion squad, a second Vyper, and/or a Falcon.  I think I'd recommend the Banshee Squad (sans Serpent) and Vyper.
They say all is fair in love and war, but the love is better because then the Geneva Convention doesn't prevent you from using nerve gas.

Offline goldenangel

• was up <_>
« Reply #8 on: March 3, 2003, 10:44:04 PM »
i think the army looks good but i would add a squad of 5 more banshees personally i can't go with out these ladys :o

Offline #1# ork killa

« Reply #9 on: March 4, 2003, 12:55:48 PM »
thanks everyone you've been a great help! ;D
i'll post my new one soon. thanks again 8)

Offline Farseer Ulthrion

• Hello All,
  • Ancient
    • In case anyone is wondering what I do at university
« Reply #10 on: March 4, 2003, 01:29:55 PM »
Hallo all,

Overall the list looks good enough. However there are a few things I wanted to say:

1) black guardians. I would switch the destructor power to enhance, and make them black guardian storm. This gives you WS5 I5 guardians, which are a very nasty surprise, even for marines. For the other black guardian squad, it depends on what you want with your army as a whole.

2) I would drop the farseer with fortune, or give the squad some more combat power by adding a witchblade here and there.

3) Just a question: If your opponent rhino-rushes you, what are you going to do to stop that??

Maybe it's because I play too much against marines which makes all my tactics marine-based, but I would personally drop the farseer with fortune, and use the raminaing points to get you a war walker squadron with shuriken cannons and scatter lasers. The squad comes at 140-160 points, and is very capable of laying waste to any AV10/11 vehicle in sight. They are great against rhino's and don't cost all that much. Don't bother giving them starcannons, as they are too fragile to pay 200 points over (IMHO).

Hope this helps a bit :).

Farseer Ulthrion
"Computer Science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes."
-Edsger W. Dijkstra

Read about my  Daughters of the Martyred Lady (Sisters of Battle).
Check out my collection of Manga and Anime.