News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: warp spiders?  (Read 1130 times)

Offline Farseer Oddjob

• 'Feel the power of the warp!' , Farseer Oddjob.
warp spiders?
« on: March 8, 2002, 12:48:18 PM »
i'm new to the world of the mighty eldar , and never having fought any i don't know alot bout warp spiders , they look like they would be fun to convert ect , but how do they prform in battle?

Offline f.desrochers

• Wraithlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re:warp spiders?
« Reply #1 on: March 8, 2002, 02:36:55 PM »
  unfortuntaely the warp spiders have lost much of their appeal and effectiveness. last edition the spinners used the flame templates which made them extremely effective :o. the spinners are comparatively useless at rapidfire. with their jump packs they always move, or should.

i've always thought that the jump packs they use should never count for moving and this could justify the rapid fire, or make them assault 1 or some such thing. hopefully the new eldar codex will get them going again. most people don't use them because of the points cost and the lack of overall/general effectiveness they have. personally i've used them a good number of times to varying degrees of success. they either wipe out lots of things and steal the objective at the last minute, or get wiped out. ho-hum :-[.

i'm of the opinion that unless you deck a full squad out, there's no sense in taking them. even after you field a unit for 302 points and maxed 'em out, they need a certain amount of practice before you realize how to use them effectively. of course, that goes for nearly every aspect for the eldar ;).

;f.desrochers
;f.desrochers

Offline Halberd-Blue

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Long Live C'Nesha
    • Lord of the Universe's Website
« Reply #2 on: March 8, 2002, 02:57:43 PM »
unfortuntaely the warp spiders have lost much of their appeal and effectiveness. last edition the spinners used the flame templates which made them extremely effective . the spinners are comparatively useless at rapidfire. with their jump packs they always move, or should.

i've always thought that the jump packs they use should never count for moving and this could justify the rapid fire, or make them assault 1 or some such thing. hopefully the new eldar codex will get them going again. most people don't use them because of the points cost and the lack of overall/general effectiveness they have. personally i've used them a good number of times to varying degrees of success. they either wipe out lots of things and steal the objective at the last minute, or get wiped out. ho-hum .

We of the Council of C'Nesha would like to correct you.  First of all, Warp Spiders use Warp Jump generators, which are much better than the mon-keigh's jump packs for 2 reasons.  One, they ignore terrain in their move, and they can make an additional jump around the time that hand to hand combat starts springing up.  Secondly, it wouldn't make a difference if the weapon of the Warp Spider was changed to assault 1, besides the fact that they would become less effective.  With Rapid Fire guns they can shoot twice if they do not want to assault and if they didn't move, and they would still be able to only shoot 60 feet (/ooc cause the game is 1 inch=5 feet) which their weapons can do at the moment.
"The rewards of tolerance are treachery and betrayal."

Offline odinblade

• Alaitoc Rangers. Nuff sed.
    • Eldar Online
« Reply #3 on: March 8, 2002, 06:07:29 PM »
I personally like the models but the stats of the weapons (rapid fire for an ever-moving unit and no AP) are so terrible that I would not use them ever, as a matter of principle and prcticality.  To convert, they are cool.  To play, crap.

Offline Scars

• Warning: He bites
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Spooky! Shocking!
    • Progressive Labour Party
« Reply #4 on: March 8, 2002, 06:16:41 PM »
they are very good at causing crossfires as they can move through enemy troops.
'The genius of you Americans is that you never make clear-cut stupid moves, only complicated stupid
moves'
- Abd al-Nasir
Progressive Labour Party

Offline Achron of the scorpion king

• um...hold on.....no....no...that wont do.....um...
« Reply #5 on: March 9, 2002, 06:44:40 AM »

i think you should do that phnoix lord ;D
go  to  -  cummunity  -  suggestions  -  campian thred  

and post about your gaming group for a MASSIVE EO CAMPAIN

come on ppl we need your help!

Offline f.desrochers

• Wraithlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #6 on: March 9, 2002, 10:05:53 AM »
>>First of all, Warp Spiders use Warp Jump generators, which are much better than the mon-keigh's jump packs for 2 reasons.  One, they ignore terrain in their move, and they can make an additional jump around the time that hand to hand combat starts springing up. <<

i'd be the last person to argue about the effectiveness of the warp-jump packs. i just think that since there's very little "movement" involved, they might make it so they never count as moving, kind of like thousand sons except with jump packs.

>>Secondly, it wouldn't make a difference if the weapon of the Warp Spider was changed to assault 1, besides the fact that they would become less effective.  With Rapid Fire guns they can shoot twice if they do not want to assault and if they didn't move<<

if you don't move spiders, they become a great target for charging. they have a a low toughness and few attacks. sure, they have a good save and higher initiative, but that's it. in the long run, if they get charged by *anything* they're toast. withdraw is of little use when you've lost six members of the squad and fail a leadership test. :-[

i just think that for 22 points a model, they get a shaft in weapons. if they get the charge, you'll hold your own against a tac squad for the first turn. at the end of their turn, withdraw (as long as no crossfire is in place) and repeat. this tactic has worked for me before. i'd rather see the weapons either return to the flamer template or assault 1/never count as moving.

;f.desrochers
;f.desrochers

Offline Lanorel

• My jetpack is custard powered
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #7 on: March 9, 2002, 11:27:49 AM »
You show me another unit capable of moving up to 24"/turn, wipe away anything in sight with an armour value less than twelve (Rhinos, anyone? Trukks, Raiders, and a load of rear armours) and then charge in with at least 17 attacks, 5 ignoring armour saves...?
All at a cost, of course. :)
One thing they're great at is removing those pesky 5-man squads of marines with a heavy weapon. An Exarch with powerblades is all you need. (Don't even need Surprise Assault for that...)
And then again, they're probably least effective against Marines... Ah yes.