News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 2000 Pts TAC list for a returning player  (Read 1588 times)

Offline Slim

• Armies: Eldar
2000 Pts TAC list for a returning player
« on: June 25, 2019, 01:24:50 AM »
I've been away from the hobby for many years and I'm excited to jump back into the game this edition. The Eldar have always held a place in my heart so I understandably can't stay away from them. I'm going to start a fresh army from scratch and I'm hoping to build a list that can be pretty flexible since from what I've gathered, the meta in my area is pretty mixed.

Here's what I'm leaning towards. Any input would be greatly appreciated :)

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Aeldari - Craftworlds) [82 PL, 1,409pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Craftworld Attribute: Alaitoc: Fieldcraft

+ HQ +

Farseer [6 PL, 110pts]: Shuriken Pistol, Witchblade

Spiritseer [3 PL, 65pts]: 4. Protect/Jinx, Shuriken Pistol
. Shiftshroud of Alanssair

Spiritseer [3 PL, 65pts]: 6. Empower/Enervate, Shuriken Pistol

+ Troops +

Dire Avengers [6 PL, 113pts]
. 9x Dire Avenger: 9x Avenger Shuriken Catapult
. Dire Avenger Exarch: Two Avenger Shuriken Catapults

Dire Avengers [6 PL, 113pts]
. 9x Dire Avenger: 9x Avenger Shuriken Catapult

Dire Avengers [6 PL, 69pts]
. 5x Dire Avenger: 5x Avenger Shuriken Catapult

Rangers [3 PL, 60pts]: 5x Ranger

+ Elites +

Fire Dragons [12 PL, 144pts]
. 5x Fire Dragon: 5x Fusion Gun
. Fire Dragon Exarch: Fusion Gun

Howling Banshees [6 PL, 133pts]
. 9x Howling Banshee: 9x Power Sword
. Howling Banshee Exarch: Shuriken Pistol & Executioner

Striking Scorpions [7 PL, 119pts]
. 9x Striking Scorpion: 9x Scorpion Chainsword
. Striking Scorpion Exarch: Scorpion Chainsword, Scorpion's Claw

+ Fast Attack +

Swooping Hawks [6 PL, 104pts]
. 7x Swooping Hawk: 7x Lasblaster
. Swooping Hawk Exarch: Lasblaster

+ Dedicated Transport +

Wave Serpent [9 PL, 157pts]: Shuriken Cannon, Spirit Stones, Twin Shuriken Cannon

Wave Serpent [9 PL, 157pts]: Shuriken Cannon, Spirit Stones, Twin Shuriken Cannon

++ Spearhead Detachment +1CP (Aeldari - Craftworlds) [29 PL, 591pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Craftworld Attribute: Alaitoc: Fieldcraft

+ HQ +

Autarch [4 PL, 99pts]: 5: Mark of the Incomparable Hunter, Craftworlds Warlord, Forceshield, Reaper Launcher, Shuriken Pistol, Star Glaive

+ Heavy Support +

Dark Reapers [7 PL, 168pts]
. 4x Dark Reaper: 4x Reaper Launcher
. Dark Reaper Exarch: Aeldari Missile Launcher

Fire Prism [9 PL, 162pts]: Crystal Targeting Matrix, Twin Shuriken Catapult

Fire Prism [9 PL, 162pts]: Crystal Targeting Matrix, Twin Shuriken Catapult

++ Total: [111 PL, 2,000pts] ++

The basic strategy  in a nutshell is as follows:

-Keep the Autarch in the rear with reapers as he snipes characters and gives rerolls to the reapers. Fire prisms stay back and fire depending on what is the biggest threat.

-The first serpent has the banshees and the spiritseer for empower-type hitting, while the second one has the small squad of dire avengers and the fire dragons.

-The scorpions and the spiritseer with the relic will deploy in cover near any squishy stuff.

-Swooping hawks buzz around just out of range while the farseer and the 2 full avenger squads advance. Rangers will deploy near objective or by autarch for rerolls.

I haven't looked over any of the FAQs so if something isn't right, let me know. Thanks!

« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 06:53:00 AM by Irisado »

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: 2000 Pts TAC list for a returning player
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 12:36:48 PM »
Can't say there is really anything wrong with the list from a mixed meta perspective.

I would suggest a second squad of rangers over the small Avenger squad but I do see the appeal of the Dragon/Avenger serpent combo. However I find you really need at least two squads of rangers to get enough sniping damage out as well as the better ability to use them to block enemy deep striking.

Offline faitherun (Fay-ith-er-run)

• Armies: Pointy Ears and bugs
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2019, 08:43:14 PM »
Not a bad starting point. Only thing I would critique is the Spearhead. I find my Prisms get targeted pretty early on, as do my Reapers. As such, I would say to do 3 or no squads of prisms, as losing even one stops you from being able to link fire (which is amazing and why my opponents target them. Likewise, reapers get targeted early, and with reapers and prisms being different targets for guns (AI vs AT), both will get lit up simultaneously.

Otherwise, play it and see what you like
So, what your saying is it's not your fault you look stupid by using words you don't get?
Flawless logic.

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Aeldari
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2019, 08:48:32 PM »
Looks fine, here is a suggestion though, loose 5 Avengers for another ranger unit, then stick the remaining avengers along with the reapers inside the serpent intended for banshees, use quicken from the spiritseer to give the banshees a first turn charge.
Ego in propria persona, non compos mentis.

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2019, 05:19:06 AM »
HQ section - looks reasonable, though I'd consider Quicken on the second Spiritseer. I can see the use case for Empower on the Banshees, though. Maybe see how reliably they can hit melee first. Make sure to give your Farseer some spells. Doom is an absolute must-take this edition, and with your multiple substantial shooting units, Guide could be a good choice as well. Though, Fortune could make a difference in the right place, and Executioner is great for just more mortal wound output.

Troop section: I find that Dire Avengers work best this edition in 5-elf squads. Why? Because you get more Exarchs, and Two-Avenger-Catapult Exarchs are amazing. A single large unit for things like Guide can be fine too. Rangers look fine

Fire Dragons: looks good to me. Make sure you have spare shooting to target whatever they shot at, because in this edition of many invulnerable saves and high wound counts on vehicles, 6 dragons is often not enough to pop a tank.

Howling Banshees: Personally, I like the Mirrorswords instead if you can reliably get off an Empower or Doom. The extra attacks are worth it. Another thing to consider: is this unit aiming to kill, or to disrupt? I often run small-ish units that can take advantage of their high speed, Acrobatic rule, and Banshee masks to quickly get enemy shooting units into assault. While it is difficult (and often impossible) to "lock" an enemy in assault, slingshotting a banshee unit up the board to get into melee with a couple enemy artillery or shooting units can be worth it just to make them sacrifice a turn of shooting falling back, and works well even with small units. Running them as a heavy assault unit can work vs the right armies though, as you describe.

Striking Scorpions: This edition, I always run these guys in 5-elf squads. Why? Because I view the 8e Striking Scoprion as a pure disruption unit. They lack the attack count or melee output to take down most things they'd want to take down. I bring them in using Masters of Stealth and have them come into the enemy's backlines to disrupt them as much as possible. Claw is fine on the exarch though.

Hawks: I love them. The Hawk Talon upgrade on the exarch is worth it if you have thep points and mini. The power sword is not worth it, as this unit should be avoiding melee anyway and the Exarch isn't good at it.

Serpents: seem solid to me.

Autarch: looks good
Dark Reapers: look good

Fire Prism: I find the CTMs on these are not useful as often as I might think, since they rarely want to shoot at the closest target, but it's not a terrible use of points.

Overall, looks like a solid list to me, perfectly respectable, though it won't win any tourneys of course.
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #5 on: July 9, 2019, 10:52:16 PM »
I agree with all points brought up. My only real add would be to not forget the fire prisms special rule, I did until turn 3 in my last game which could have made a big difference in the out come, I lost. Also try not to use rangers as a tax, they're really good in this edition 6 or more to a unit and at least 2 units. They work really good for me.

Keep us informed on how your army worked for you.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword