News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: League Game Advice  (Read 1084 times)

Offline bca11

League Game Advice
« on: April 14, 2018, 11:03:36 PM »
Hello all.

My LGS started a league on Thursday, and I'm happy to say that I scored max points on the mission in game 1, getting all 9 possible in the resupply drop mission, as well as 5 bonus points available in-house. Only 1 other person scored the same, so I will be matching with him next week. We are allowed to change up to half our points each battle, and I am weighing my options. My opponent runs an Iyanden wraith army, and will likely have a couple large squads of wraithguard supported by wraithlords, spiritseers, and most likely a wraithknight.

My current list is as follows:

Batallion 1 (Alaitoc)
Farseer
Spiritseer

Rangers x5
Rangers x5
Dire Avengers x4 + Exarch with 2 guns

5 wraithguard with wraithcannons

9 dark reapers + exarch with tempest launcher

Batallion 2 (Alaitoc)

Spiritseer
Spiritseer

Dire Avengers x7 +exarch with 2 guns

Fire Prism with spirit stones
Fire Prism with spirit stones

The upcoming mission is ascension, and I am debating my options. I can drop a large chunk of my troops (costing a batallion and 3CP), as well as the reaper exarch, 2 spiritseers, and both fire prisms, and trade out for a cobra, which I believe should more than easily handle the wraithknight and then pop any wraithlords left over, while I concentrate on killing the wraithguard with dark reapers.

Would this be wise (the goal being to table him rather than play to the mission) or should I stick with a larger footprint and just do my best to take down the wraithknight with the fire prisms and reapers before it does too much damage while concentrating on scoring points?

Thanks.

Offline Iluvhir Strafermeyer

• Ambassador of Craftworld Beaujl'blef
  • Armies: Eldar
Re: League Game Advice
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 02:09:57 PM »
To deal with the wraithknight, I would use dragons instead of wraithguard. You also need a serpent for them, unless you plan to webway them in (in which case you won't get within melta range). Yeah, I recommend the serpent.
"Consider the battlefield: it is essentially a dawn in grim guise. It is a scenario in which darkness meets light and is annihilated by it.
Imagine that the enemy are the shadows lurking in the night - The arrival of our warhost is like the sun's light breaking the horizon. Let the Bladestorm expel the darkness."

Beaujl'blef Philosophy

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
Re: League Game Advice
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 05:17:55 AM »
You've got lots of smite, which is good against the high toughness you'll be up against. Rangers may be nice for picking off Warlocks and such as well, and Dark Reapers are in a good spot.

Against wraith units, you want to bring high-strength mult-damage weaponry to the table. I'd also consider cutting yourself down to 4x5 Dire Avengers, since you won't need much dakka against him.

An important question will be whether or not he's running screening units, and whether or not he uses Wave Serpents for his Wraithguard. If he doesn't use Wave Serpents, you can screen out any Webway Strike action using your troops, then shoot his guys down as they come in.

Runnin Wraithguard yourself seems like it might not even be that amazing of an idea against a bunch of S10 weaponry, though their guns will certainly be useful.

Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.