News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Chaos Eldar - Your help is needed !  (Read 1794 times)

Offline -Φ Ulfhedinn Φ- Servant of the Lord of Dark Delights

• Juggernaught of Fornication
Chaos Eldar - Your help is needed !
« on: June 8, 2009, 07:34:29 AM »
Greetings all  ;D

So, I've been tossing around an idea in my head regarding making an painting Chaos/Slaanesh Eldar. Please understand at this point they are a chaos influenced Eldar Army. They will not be using Dark Eldar rules or be associated in anyway with them. I will be creating a WWP DE airforce variant after i complete this army.

Basic theme is that they were an Eldar force that slowly became corrupted over time by the great enemy. They are Eldar influenced by Slaanesh post fall. They are not DARK ELDAR they are CHAOS ELDAR, whom are now in the service of slaanesh to do his bidding for some reason or another, or over time have slowly been corrupted by the influence.

Now, i have a few questions in regards to fluff behind my idea. I'm sure it has been done before ( almost everything has ) and if not, at least thought about.

I am looking to create a solid reasoning/validity behind fielding an army such as this. I was trying to justify the units i wanted to take and all i could really come up with was that, it couldn't be a crone world due to no Eldar paths hence aspects ect existing pre-fall.

Due to the fact it will be a themed army, the inclusion of Slaaneshi units such as the Forge World KoS ( to represent the Avatar ) and Daemonettes ( for Banshees or more useful – perhaps harlequins due to the similar rending nature ) need to be fluffy as to why those units are allowed to be an acceptable substitute for other models.

Furthermore, i need to look at making a solid 1500-2000 pts list variants for tournament level play. This army will be heavily themed, converted and painted lovingly in the next month and a half ( Hooray for Uni semester holidays). I have a basic colour scheme set out already.

Troop limitations:
I'm guessing no harlies due to fluffwise but to be honest i love harlies so much in gameplay. They really perform miracle for me and i use them to great effect. Perhaps i could count them as a unit of Solitaires? Any thoughts on that? Even though Solitaires are typically loners, perhaps i can find a way to fit them in with the same rules are harlies.

Some wiki-fluff ( i know it's not the greatest resource ): Solitaires

One of the most important and most feared positions within the troupe is that of the Solitaire. The Solitaires act as a sort of scout for the troupe, seeking out potential members from the populations of the various other Eldar factions. They are greatly feared and yet pitied by the other Harlequins. A Solitaire lives apart from the rest of the troupe at all times and this isolationist nature is also evident on the battlefield, as a Solitaire always fights alone and never joins with a unit of other Harlequins. The reason for this is that during the much rarer version of their already rare performances about the Fall, it is only the Solitaire who is able to play the role of the Great Enemy of the Eldar, Slaanesh.
Some have been foolish to take on the role and been driven insane. This also means that when the Solitaire dies, his soul is damned to eternal torment by the Great Enemy. The Laughing God sometimes emerges from the Webway to trick Slaanesh, thereby saving the soul of the departed Solitaire from eternal damnation; however, the Laughing God is rarely able to successfully do so, and most Solitaires must endure eternal torment. Sometimes, if a Solitare is saved, his soul will be transferred to one of the  machines as mentioned above.
The role of Solitaire is thus difficult for an Eldar to bear. Only the strongest are able to endure the position and the knowledge that they will surely be consumed by Slaanesh upon death -- those who are not strong enough either die or are driven insane. Since his soul is already claimed, the Solitaire has absolutely no fear, and he is one of the most skilled warriors found on the battlefield of the 41st millennium.

Any thoughts/suggestions or comments regarding this line? It is possible like a suggested earlier to use Daemonettes for Harlie substitutes. If i allow that, what would Slaanesh's reasoning be as to why he/she would allow such a unit to be a part of a Chaos Eldar force. Same reasoning applies for the KOS to represent the Avatar.

I currently have pretty much 1 of every unit available to Eldar, so i have quite a selection to choose from. Now, i was wondering what sort of influence would a Slaanesh themed Chaos Eldar army have on my unit choices?

I tend to stay away from Vypers, Guardian Jetbikes, Hawks, Rangers, Shining Spears and very occasionally use Scorpions.

Here is the part where i am torn between a competitive army list and a completely themed for fun army. Personally I'd like them both.

I typically run an  Iyanden-esque army ( although i despise yellow ) however, that to me would seem too slow and out of place in a fast moving hard hitting Slaaneshi Eldar.

Then a thought just came to me. I could do 2 army variants. First one being my  true Eldar” army incorporating the models that i don't think 'fit the bill' for the Chaos Eldar.

It would comprise of something like :

Wraithcastle Eldar:

HQ: FW Avatar with spear ( i actually have this model already )
HQ: Eldrad variant with WG or.... Fortune Seer who rides in the falcon with DA's.

T: 10 WG + WL w/ SS + singing spear ( conceal )
T: 5 DA in serpent

E: 6x Quins 5 w/ kisses + Troupe master ( PW ) + Shadow Seer ( kiss )

HS: WL- BL/EML 2x flamers
HS: WL- Wraithsword 2x flamers ( With Eldrad ) or BL/EML 2x flamers ( with fortune seer )
HS: Serpent, EML, Star Engines, HF, stones ect.

Total: 1492

Chaos Eldar:

Definitely themed options:
HQ: Avvy – FW KoS
E: Daemonettes as Quins' or Banshees

Somewhat themed options:

HQ: Phoenix Lord – Maugan Ra variant with Quins AND Death Jester
HQ: 'Fallen phoenix army' Ahra ( based of Karandas – uses same stats ) with Scorpions
HQ: Autarch
T: Dire Avengers
T: Guardians
E: Scorpions with Ahra
HS: Dark Reapers
HS: Warwalkers ( considering trying these out, especially if i have a Autarch in the list )
HS: Fire Prisms

Left field themed options:
HQ: Seer council? - Not sure how i can manage to throw a spin on these guys to make them believeable in such a themed army. Needs an Autarch + Farseer combo to work imho.
HQ: Farseers? ( Somehow this doesn't sit right with me. Perhaps it's because i believe them to be infallible 99% of the time.)
E: Quins – not sure if i can use them as Solitare variants or not fluff wise.
T/E: Wraithguard too slow ( unless i field them as corrupted wraithbone )
HS: Wraithlords too slow ( unless i field them as corrupted wraithbone )
T: Pathfinders/Rangers ( too static )

That pretty much allows me to use a different style of army for my “Chaos Eldar” although using the Avvy 2x might get a bit boring.

As you can see I'm in a right pickle of a position. I know what i would like to theme my army around. I would like to make use of perhaps a mech army with flanking WW's if i include an Autarch as my 2nd choice. But at the same time, what sort of successful Eldar army doesn't have a seer of some kind? If you have such a list as avvy + tarch, dual tarch, or even with a Phoenix Lord send it forward :)

Okay, so to wrap it all up:

1) Looking for a competitive themed list that i can take to tourneys as Chaos Eldar, great theme – want to take out best army/theme and comp score.
2) Looking for some guidance on fluff or theme
3) Harlies: Yay or nay?
4) Ideal units and suggestions?
5) Your suggested lists for 1500/1850/2k ( not sure what standard tourney pts are )
So any thoughts/suggestions/ideas/comments/critique is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

-Ulfhedinn-

« Last Edit: June 8, 2009, 07:43:06 AM by -Ulfhedinn- »
"The very touch of our god's breath overwhelms mortal senses with the scent of delight... the slightest purr of our god's voice is enough to stimulate the senses into eternal and blissful oblivion. To the followers of Slaanesh the mortal world is grey and insipid compared to the sensual paradise that is the master's affection."

Offline Iram

Re: Chaos Eldar - Your help is needed !
« Reply #1 on: June 8, 2009, 08:05:09 AM »
Fluff wise its definitely doable, Kaelor could probably pass as your force, if not just about any corsair prince can be susceptible to the influence of she-who-thirsts. Definitely NAY on harlequins. It's a pity you don't like the saim-hann stuff as they are already quite obsessed with their jobs.

Now all that army list jazz confused me, do you want us to make you a list?
... New Codex.

Offline Reikai

• What 'bout my star?~*
« Reply #2 on: June 8, 2009, 08:09:12 AM »
Hmm...
Perhaps a force that was defeated, about to be consumed by Slaanesh, but the commander bartered their souls for a "second chance" at life in the service at Slaanesh.

I think daemonettes as Harlequins would work.  Working on the above theme, Banshees should stay banshees... But with conversion... perhaps changing an arm or something for a daemonettes (still holding Shuriken Pistol,) etc.

2x Avatar is NOT legal IIRC...  Although it is Chaos Eldar... and not strictly Slaanesh.  You could have Tzneetch in there somewhere, for your Farseers.  Khorne for your Autarchs...

« Last Edit: June 8, 2009, 08:15:07 AM by Reikai »

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
« Reply #3 on: June 8, 2009, 08:17:22 AM »
Unit of Solitaires? That just makes my head hurt. I think you can do a lot better.
I think that you can make a perverted chaos cultist group infused with daemonic glee and use the Harlequin rules to field them with great success, but Harlequins would never play nice with Chaos Eldar. Like ever.

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

« Reply #4 on: June 8, 2009, 08:27:22 AM »
Fluff wise its definitely doable, Kaelor could probably pass as your force, if not just about any corsair prince can be susceptible to the influence of she-who-thirsts. Definitely NAY on harlequins. I

Yeah, i thought the harlies would be a no-go. I would really like to use the KoS as the Avatar. Reckon i could get away with using daemonettes as stand in harlies? Or would be better used for banshees?

Now all that army list jazz confused me, do you want us to make you a list?

Yes, i was wrote the 'Wraithbone Castle' to show what i generally run with. I wish to pretty much not use such a slow army for a tourney. It will be my 2nd Eldar army effectively.

Looking for something i guess Slaaneshi, subtle, devious. So, if anyone has a list somewhat along the line of what I'm talking about then please suggest one.

Hmm...
Perhaps a force that was defeated, about to be consumed by Slaanesh, but the commander bartered their souls for a "second chance" at life in the service at Slaanesh.

I like the sound of this. It was what i was originally going for. An army that has lost its craftworld and all it has known. Hence no Avvy, (ie: not having a craftworld ) but perhaps used the KoS as the Avvy. I just want it mainly as a huge focus point of the army and to really put the theme across.

I won't be using 2x avvys btw. Just one hahah. Subbing the Forgeworld KoS model as the avvy. Not using two  :D

Prodominantly, i wanted just a pure Slaanesh strain without influence of the other chaos gods  ;D

I do like the simple arm subbing idea though  ;)

Unit of Solitaires? That just makes my head hurt. I think you can do a lot better.
I think that you can make a perverted chaos cultist group infused with daemonic glee and use the Harlequin rules to field them with great success, but Harlequins would never play nice with Chaos Eldar. Like ever.

I agree, i was pretty much 100% that they wouldn't, but wanted to find a substitute that could go
with the theme. I am not much of a lore guy and only hear scraps of info here and there. Hence asking the general populace for their input.

I like the chaos cultist idea, but I'm not sure if people would get upset with me having to explain every unit choice i have and then them turning around and saying " oh i didn't know that was them " and using such an excuse against me in a tourney. I love converting and such, I'm just not sure as to what the consensus is on such things.  :-\

I think that you can make a perverted chaos cultist group infused with daemonic glee and use the Harlequin rules to field them with great success....

Perhaps converted up DE Wyches? hmmm...
« Last Edit: June 8, 2009, 08:33:50 AM by -Ulfhedinn- »
"The very touch of our god's breath overwhelms mortal senses with the scent of delight... the slightest purr of our god's voice is enough to stimulate the senses into eternal and blissful oblivion. To the followers of Slaanesh the mortal world is grey and insipid compared to the sensual paradise that is the master's affection."

Offline Iram

« Reply #5 on: June 8, 2009, 09:12:47 AM »
Kher-Ys was a craftworld completely destroyed by slaanesh, during the invasion a keeper of secrets possessed the dormant avatar, So you can substitute away all you like.

erm, i just pulled this list from an undisclosed location. It's not the best but it will give the rest of us an idea about what you think of it and what you prefer to be changed, it's not the most mobile, got some foot slogger's but i had to work around the avatar somehow, without adding wraithlords i don't know how to make the list work.

here it is

(155) Avatar.
(187) 9 Howling banshees w/ exarch w/ executioner and acrobatic.
(145) Waveserpent w/ T-L brightlance & spirit stones.
(138) 11 Storm guardians w/ 2 fusion guns, warlock w/ destructor & spear.
(135) Wave serpent w/ T-L starcannons & spirit stones.
(162) 9 Dire avengers w/ exarch w/ power weapon, shimmershield and defend.
(85) 10 Guardian defenders w/ shuriken cannon.
(85) 10 Guardian defenders w/ shuriken cannon.
(60) 5 Dire avengers.
(180) Falcon w/ EML, holo-fields & spirit stones.
(160) Fire prism w/ holo-fields & spirit stones.
(1492)

... New Codex.

Offline Raktra (So long, I guess)

• Skarboy | Ripper | Princess of Baal
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Armies: Grey Knights
« Reply #6 on: June 8, 2009, 09:22:37 AM »
Hoorah, another Chaos eldar player!

Just so you can see my perspective on things, here's how my army goes:

Avatar - Greater Daemon/ Idol of War thing

Eldrad/ Farseers & councils - A choir of Slaanesh, with the Farseers being the conductors and the Warlocks being essentially Daemonhosts

Striking Scorpions - Essentially the Eldar Khorne Berzerkers. Actual scorpion's tails and their weapons growing out of their wrists

Howling Banshees - These are what I use Daemonettes for. They're not too different rules wise, and it makes sense in a way. I think of them as handmaidens pf Slaanesh.

Wraithguard - Chaos Idols bound to the will of the Daemonhost/ Warlock leading them.

Jetbikes - Used to spread the word of Slaanesh. Covered in loud hailers and such to amplify the psychic screams

Rangers - Eldar who have left the Craftworld and basically gone evil.

Storm Guardians - Basic Eldar cultists.

Warp Spiders - "Warped" Spiders. Spiders who have become corrupted during their warp jumps and left to join their other corrupt brethren. Their backpacks have large spider legs growing out of them to lift them off the ground.

Wraithlords - Again, giant avatars and idols of Chaos on the move.

Phoenix Lords - The dreaded Chaos Champions of the Chaos Eldar.

Hope this can give you some ideas.

« Reply #7 on: June 8, 2009, 10:34:57 AM »
Hooray indeed Raktra ^.^

Here is where i will put some lists.

I know i have a very solid core here with units i was kind of not hoping to use. But i'm trying to distance myself away from the sheer awesomness that is the WL + WG + Avvy + Quin combo, this is along the lines, but this is to show what style i typically go for.  :-\

List number 1:

HQ: Avatar @ 155 Pts

HQ: Farseer @ 150 Pts w/Fortune ;  Mind War ; Spirit Stones

Elite: 7 Harlequin Troupe @ 250 Pts Kisses (x6); SSeer w/ Kiss ;  Troupe Master w/ Power Weapon ; Fusion Gun ( using daemonette models )

Troops: 10 Wraithguard @ 399 Pts Warlock w/ Sspr ; SSeer; conceal

Troops: 10 G Storm Squad @ 230 Pts Flamer (x2) ; Warlock w/ Destructor ; Sspr
Wave Serpent w/ TL S-Cans

Troops: 5 Dire Avengers @ 60 pts ( no upgrades ) - Ride in Serpent

Heavy Support: 1 Wraithlord @ 155 Pts w/ Flamer (x2); Bright Lance ; Missile Launcher

Heavy Support: 1 Wraithlord @ 155 Pts w/ Flamer (x2); Bright Lance ; Missile Launcher

Heavy Support: 1 Falcon @ 195 Pts   Holo-Field ; Spirit Stone; Star Engines ; Missile Launcher

Total Roster Cost: 1749

Notes: This list has done me quite well. Fortune seer can run with upgraded Falcon or with WG.

List Number 2

HQ: Autarch @ 155 Pts w/ Mandiblaster; Laser Lance; Reaper Launcher; Jetbike

HQ: Farseer @ 438 Pts w/ Stones, Fortune, Mindwar ; Jetbike
       Warlocks (x5);  1 w/ Embolden + Sspr, Enhance, Destructor (x2), 1 naked ( all on jetbikes )

Troops:  9 Dire Avengers @ 272 Pts + Exarch w/ a-cats (x2) ; Bladestorm

1 Wave Serpent ; TL Missile Launchers (TL-ML)

Troops: 10 Storm Guardian Squad @ 235 Pts ; 1 Warlock w/ Destructor

1 Wave Serpent ; TL Missile Launchers

Troops: 5 Dire Avengers @ 60 Pts ( naked )

Elite: 9 Howling Banshees @ 307 Pts + Exarch w/ Executioner; Warshout

1 Wave Serpent ;  TL Missile Launchers

Heavy Support: 1 Fire Prism @ 115 Pts

Heavy Support: 1 Fire Prism @ 115 Pts

Heavy Support: 1 Falcon @ 145 Pts;  Bright Lance

Total Roster Cost: 1842

Notes: Mech style army. Banshees can assist Council if needed or strike other targets. Trialing EML combos on all serpents to make up for anti -tank. Seems to have a fair amount of anti-horde capability. As usual, 5 DA's hoon around in the Falcon. - Could ditch these for upgrade shuricans ( underslung ) on WS'.

List Number 3

HQ: Avatar @ 155 Pts

HQ: Maugan Ra @ 195 Pts ( joins harlie squad )

Elite:  7 Harlequin Troupe @ 288 Pts Harlequins Kiss (Hkiss) (x7); Fusion Pistol (Fp) +
          DJ ; SSeer; Troupe Master w/ Power Weapon; Fusion Pistol

Troops: 14 G Defender Squad @ 178 Pts + Warlock w/ Conceal; Spiritseer ; EML Platform

Troops: 10 Wraithguard @ 396 Pts; 1 Spiritseer (Warlock);  Enhance; Sspr

Troops: 5 Pathfinders (Rangers) @ 120 Pts

Heavy Support: Wraithlord @ 155 Pts w/ Flamer (x2); Bright Lance ; Missile Launcher

Heavy Support: Wraithlord @ 155 Pts w/ Flamer (x2); Bright Lance ; Missile Launcher

Heavy Support: Wraithlord @ 100pts w/  Flamer (x2); Wraithsword

Total Roster Cost: 1745

Notes: Footslogging army. Everything advances as one ( except infiltrating scouts ). WG have enhance due to 4+ cover from guardian screen/harlie screen. Maugan Ra joins Harlie group.
Guardians should take a while to die: Influenced by Avvy aura.

Only real ranged are the 2x ranged WL. Which probably won't be enough.

List Number 4

HQ: Yriel, Prince @ 155 Pts ( rides with WG )

HQ: Eldrad Ulthran @ 210 Pts ( rides with DA squad )

Elite: 5 Wraithguard @ 341 Pts + Warlock w/ Enhance; SSeer
         1 Wave Serpent  TL Missile Launchers

Elite: 5 Fire Dragons @ 123 Pts + Exarch w/ DBF ; Tank Hunters

Troops: 9 Dire Avengers @ 272 Pts + Exarch w/ A-cats (x2) BS

Troops: 9 Dire Avengers @ 272 Pts + Exarch w/ A-cats (x2) BS

Heavy Support: War Walker Squadron @ 120 Pts ; 2x Shuricans (x3)

Heavy Support: War Walker Squadron @ 120 Pts ; 2x Shuricans (x3)

Heavy Support: 1 Falcon @ 135 Pts;  Missile Launcher

Total Roster Cost: 1748

Notes: Some sort of mech/reserve combo. *shrug* it is 2:30am.
« Last Edit: June 8, 2009, 12:21:07 PM by -Ulfhedinn- »

Offline Iram

« Reply #8 on: June 8, 2009, 08:29:57 PM »
I don't see how those lists are different from your normal list, unless they are the lists you currently use? Did you want to go more mobile? Full mech is the most mobile but you can't include the avatar, if you go hybrid you might need to include wraithlords to accompany the avatar. Demonettes as harlies sounds fine, i'd have no trouble with that, just do a little converting so some are holding pistols and kisses to avoid confusion.

So, were those lists your current style lists or possible lists for your chaos eldar?
... New Codex.

« Reply #9 on: June 9, 2009, 04:54:19 AM »
They were indeed possible lists for the Chaos Eldar.

I am looking to come up with something themed. Of course, i would prefer to use the Avatar to really have the Slaanesh KoS centrepiece for my army. So they are really build around that. I find it difficult to make a hybrid mech with footslogging component that DOESNT have WG, WL or quins to accompany the Avatar. ( Iyanden habits - *shakes fist @ Starky * )

I'm looking for competitive footslogging ( is this even competitive anymore? ) or a hybrid resilient foot w/ mech council or something( hammer and anvil style ).

Above anything i would like the overall list to be themed out the a-hole. Competitiveness is 2nd place.

Offline Iram

« Reply #10 on: June 9, 2009, 04:59:49 AM »
you could try the above list with harlies instead of the two defender squads?
... New Codex.

« Reply #11 on: June 9, 2009, 05:20:14 AM »
Yeah, unfortunately, thats a mech army then ( if you were referring to the one you wrote ) with the Avvy all cold and alone while the quins run through buildings :(

I like your train of thought though. I'd only be looking at say, 1-2 transports with either stormies and banshees in them for counter attacking certain points. Rest would be footlogging. I also prefer to use Prisms in pairs. So i'll tweak it a bit and hit me up with what you think  ;D

Offline Iram

« Reply #12 on: June 9, 2009, 12:23:14 PM »
Something like..?

(155) Avatar.
(187) 9 Howling banshees w/ exarch w/ executioner and acrobatic.
(145) Waveserpent w/ T-L brightlance and spirit stones.
(130) 10 Storm guardians w/ 2 fusion guns, warlock w/ destructor & spear.
(145) Wave serpent w/ T-L brightlance and spirit stones.
(162) 9 Dire avengers w/ exarch w/ power weapon, shimmershield and defend.
(115) 10 Guardian defenders w/ shuriken cannon, warlock w/ embolden.
(140) Wraithlord w/ wraithsword and brightlance.
(160) Fire prism w/ holo-fields and spirit stones.
(160) Fire prism w/ holo-fields and spirit stones.
(1499)

Has a wraithlord to keep the avatar company, a warlock to hold the wraithlords hand, CC avengers to support the MC's and defenders to support the DA's. Also has a pair of prisms as overwatch and bansheers + stormies embarked in serpents for assault. I tried to sort of mimic you're lists while staying away from wraith guard, Also there is a pair of prisms on account of i made the list... May i tempt you to ditch the lord and the lock and just get a third prism :D
... New Codex.

Offline CelestialDragonKing

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2009, 02:48:47 AM »
Are you stuck on them worshiping slaanesh? I dunno it just seems a little cliche. I think you could be different, by say having them ally themselves with a different god to keep them away from Slaanesh. Either Khorne or Tzeentch I'd say. They could have been manipulated by TZ to go to his side by making promises of protection from SL. Either way the Avatar could be replaced by a greater demon. Swooping hawk rules could be used for horrors. They can deep strike and they have an assault weapon.

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2009, 03:59:17 AM »
Yeah, i am pretty stuck on them being Slaaneshi. Mainly because i have a colour palette already chosen with some ideas for sigils/runes/daemon branding for the painting.

I did see an amazing paintjob for a LoC though, so it is slightly tempting believe me  ;D