News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Forgeworld Avatar : Sword or Spear?  (Read 7212 times)

Offline -Φ Ulfhedinn Φ- Servant of the Lord of Dark Delights

• Juggernaught of Fornication
Forgeworld Avatar : Sword or Spear?
« on: November 18, 2008, 05:21:59 AM »
Hey guys ~ looking to order an Avatar this week and I'll be doing a painting blog when i get him.

Just wondering what peoples personal preferences are to the two models.

Spear:

Sword:

To me i think i prefer the spear. It looks like he is going to throw it. But i don't know, it might look strange in CC as if he is ignoring the models attacking him ( due to his height ) i suppose i could do a small amount of conversion to heat and bend the spear so it faces down a bit more.

The sword upper torso is awesome, a really... I'm going to obliterate you pose. But i don't really like the look of the odd gait the model portrays.  :-[

I'd like to hear your thoughts and suggestions !  :)

-Ulfhedinn-
"The very touch of our god's breath overwhelms mortal senses with the scent of delight... the slightest purr of our god's voice is enough to stimulate the senses into eternal and blissful oblivion. To the followers of Slaanesh the mortal world is grey and insipid compared to the sensual paradise that is the master's affection."

Offline BubbaMack

• Adamantium Beer Gut!!
Re: Forgeworld Avatar : Sword or Spear?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 07:01:41 AM »
I have been holding off buying an avatar, saving up for a large FW order.  I was strongly considering the spear model but now seeing how far back the spear comes off the back......there is no way to store that in a case and I see my self being very mad when it breaks off. I do still think it is the better looking of the two but I buy my models to play not to sit on a shelf and radiate awesomeness!

I look forward to reading your blog though.  I have been worried buying on of these due to comments on this board about the quality of FW models and would like to hear your experience.

I do see that the sword model would be perfect to convert holding your favorite enemy in his right hand preparing for a massive pimp smack from the Wailing Doom!!
...but I could be wrong.

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 07:23:11 AM »
Haha i was thinking the same thing !!!  ;D
"The very touch of our god's breath overwhelms mortal senses with the scent of delight... the slightest purr of our god's voice is enough to stimulate the senses into eternal and blissful oblivion. To the followers of Slaanesh the mortal world is grey and insipid compared to the sensual paradise that is the master's affection."

Offline scottdsp748

• My Coolminiornot.com Gallery
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 08:39:12 AM »
The spear is brass rod with resin ends, if the length is an issue, shortening it before assembly would be very easy.

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 09:03:59 AM »
Yeah, thats what i've heard. I'm curious if its easy to heat the plastic in boiling water so i can rotate the arm a little to give the spear a different angle.

Anyone have experience of doing this with resin?

-Ulfhedinn-

Offline KernMist

• Courage and Honour!
    • ultramarines.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 09:30:23 AM »
Yeah, thats what i've heard. I'm curious if its easy to heat the plastic in boiling water so i can rotate the arm a little to give the spear a different angle.
-Ulfhedinn-

Plastic and resin are different and have different properties. You should be able to heat the resin in warm water and bend it a little. It's what forgeworld recommend if you have warped or slightly deformed pieces. Don't know how much you could do it to adjust the spear position though. You wouldn't want to use boiling water though. Warm or hot(ish) from the tap should be good enough.

Offline Hammer of Vaul

• Forth the Eldar !!! death to the monkeh!!!
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 11:00:32 AM »
Im a sword man myself, my good lady wife got me one for my birthday and its a lovely model, however i recognise the spear throwing choice is equally excellent. What I want is a FEMALE avatar model, now that would be something special. ( yes i know khaine is male, but there is no reason the shell he inhabits cant be feminine).
Now I am become Death, the destroyer of Pie !!!

Offline The_Outcast

• Infinity Circuit
  • I am the only one who left willingly.
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 11:05:28 AM »

-Ulfhedinn-

Don't try that. Resin will bend a little not very much. If you bend it to far it snap and resin breaks are very hard to fix.  What ever you do be careful.

I kind of like the spear one myself. I'm not sure I like the throwing pose though. Think i would lower it or move it to the other hand.

The_Outcast

Offline Hammer of Vaul

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 11:09:45 AM »
another way to work resin if you need too is to use a hairdryer, you can focus a beam of heat onto the area you want to work with some precision, and its less messy. I used one on a forgeworld hierophant  to re-pose the legs and its very effective.

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 11:20:28 AM »
Thanks for the feedback !  ;D

I was looking just to adjust the wrist a bit to have a bit less of 'aim for the sky' not too much more then that. I can't really imagine the avatar not intent on skewering foes at his feet with the spear pose then aiming for something in the distance instead hehe.

The sword does look cool in fact. Hence the hard decision  ;)

-Ulfhedinn-

Edit: Was thinking that i could attach some sort of shield on the other arm to make it look less weird. Nice looking eldarish kite shield or something similar to that old orion conversion they did with that shield - thoughts?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 11:44:57 AM by -Ulfhedinn- »

Offline Radium

• Just another guy.
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008, 12:29:31 PM »
They are both great! In fact, they're so great I have them both ;).
Knowledge is power; guard it well.

Offline Deathklok

• Bad Trader, scam artist, not to be trusted. BANNED
  • Finally, I got BANNED
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2008, 12:32:55 PM »
Spear definitely! The sword one looks a bit to "stroll in the park" for me.
And so, after much wait, BANNED

Offline Starrakatt

• Infinity Circuit
  • Bitter Vet
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2008, 02:05:11 PM »
   I bought the Sword armed one for the same reasons that was listed by some: How do you carry the Spear armed one? While I slightly prefer the spear, the sword is much better in term of storing and transporting issues.
   If you don't mind having a double sized box to carry Him, then you may want to take the spear, if not you are better off with the sword armed one. Or make a custom space for the Avatar of your choice in a standard carrying case.

Starky

Join the POC: Craftworld Iyanden - The Ghost Warriors

Quote from: Farceseer Siranaul
Yes you are being dense.

Offline Happy-Cake!

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2008, 02:37:25 PM »
I know this is slightly off topic, but don't you think that the GW avatar is better looking than both the spear/sword avatar?

I mean, do you have the GW avatar already? And are just looking to expand your collection? Because I think the GW avatar looks more elegant (more eldarish in my opinion) than the FW avatar.

Just an opinion. It definitely looks cool, but I have a slight preference for the GW version.

Offline Starrakatt

• Infinity Circuit
  • Bitter Vet
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2008, 02:47:44 PM »
I agree that the GW avatar is a nice model, no problem with it... except it's size: Doesn't it look a bit... small for the representation of Khaine?

So there it is:I want a friggin' monster to lead my armies, the beslubbering Incarnation of War, the unavoidable impersonation of Kaela Mensha Khaine's Inescapable, Righteous and Divine Flaming Wrathtm!!

That's why I prefer the FW one. Thanks for reading.

Starky

Join the POC: Craftworld Iyanden - The Ghost Warriors

Quote from: Farceseer Siranaul
Yes you are being dense.

Offline Hammer of Vaul

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2008, 03:20:09 PM »
The metal avatar is perfectly nice, however, I much prefer by far the forgeworld one, it has nicer proportions, a more striking, commanding pose and the size is more commensurate with my idea of what the avatar should look like.

Offline SlaveOne

• He's no good to me dead
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2008, 03:41:36 PM »
Sword ftw. Simply because its easier to transport and the spear seems likely to break in an unfortunate event.

Both however, are awesome models and one would be considered lucky to have either.
Dear Developers,

Please nerf rock, it is too powerful. Paper is just fine.

Thx,
Scissors

Offline MajorMcNicol

• My blog: projects and pictures
  • Armies: Imperial Guard, Planetary Defense Force
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2008, 07:05:42 PM »
Spear!
40k Blog:  Andy G. and Ian C. | Warhammer 40,000, Battlefleet Gothic and more
40k, WFB, DW, FS:A, Necromunda, BFG, FOW

Kislev is land and land is Kislev.

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2008, 10:36:55 PM »
I know this is slightly off topic, but don't you think that the GW avatar is better looking than both the spear/sword avatar?

I mean, do you have the GW avatar already? And are just looking to expand your collection? Because I think the GW avatar looks more elegant (more eldarish in my opinion) than the FW avatar.

Indeed i do. I have the metal one on my desk and unassembled at the moment. I just don't personally like the model. He is small and not exactly awe inspiring ( to me ). I think the below quote sums it up for me  ;D

I agree that the GW avatar is a nice model, no problem with it... except it's size: Doesn't it look a bit... small for the representation of Khaine?

So there it is:I want a friggin' monster to lead my armies, the beslubbering Incarnation of War, the unavoidable impersonation of Kaela Mensha Khaine's Inescapable, Righteous and Divine Flaming Wrathtm!!

That's why I prefer the FW one. Thanks for reading.

Starky

Amen.

Also, the Avatar with the spear is currently in the mail. I will take a look at him, and work out some way to easily carry the spear/disassemble it for easy transport  should this topic arise again  :D

-Ulfhedinn-

Offline BubbaMack

• Adamantium Beer Gut!!
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2008, 12:54:11 PM »

Also, the Avatar with the spear is currently in the mail. I will take a look at him, and work out some way to easily carry the spear/disassemble it for easy transport  should this topic arise again  :D

Please be sure to let us know what, if anything, can be done with the spear model, and of the overall quality of the model when you get it.
...but I could be wrong.