News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Custom IG - Warlord Titan (6-23)  (Read 54909 times)

Offline Fugitive

• Major, Best Painted Sentinel
  • Tuseday is soylent green day.
    • my portfolio
Re: Completly custom IG infantry. (Starting runs) - 8/29
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2009, 10:31:31 AM »
Wow! These are turning out very well. I think the catachan legs look best. The guy with the bionic arm is awesome! I am really looking forward to seeing more of these.

I survived the "CoC Crackdown".

Offline Lt_PliskinAJ

• Captain
  • Thousands of troops one goal.
  • Armies: IG, DKOK, TAU, SM
Re: Completly custom IG infantry. (Starting runs) - 8/29
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2009, 12:56:02 AM »
Thanks, I really like the SGT too. I don't want all these guys looking like they are perfectly static.

We I have made some progress in a different front, I got 2 feet done.

Yeah I bet it wasn't the feet you were expecting. Consider this the 304th's command vehicle. The fiancee and I decided its about time we make a Titan. We built the legs, body and feet today. We just need to detail them out before putting them together. Then its going to be the cockpit and weaponry. We are keeping it mixed up for right now.

*** There was real infantry progress also. There is a new flamer unit on the right of the last picture.

Offline burgers4me

• Burgers, The Delicious Graduate
    • Story of The Gods (SotG)
Re: Completly custom IG infantry. (Feet in development) - 8/29
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2009, 04:26:36 AM »
Looks good! Have you thought about some different lasguns? Like, um... Foldings stockes? Less cowling, more piping, underslung torches. You know, the awesome stuff...
What, Wait?

Why do I even have this thing...

"There is no such thing as a bad story. Just one that can be improved."

Offline Cakes on a plane

• I'm Lucy!
  • I'm velvety and red. YAY!
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2009, 11:54:15 AM »
I dont tinhk the infantry are different enough formnormal guard yet, they still look awesome though. I agree with burgers,the lasguns coudl dowith something special if you have the time.

I love the flamer, its AMAZING! can we see a closeup?
Losing to Raktra consistently since 2007...still

"I love the smell of promethium in the morning"

Offline SMVaughn

• "I am and always shall be your friend." - LN
  • Armies: Space Marines, Dark Angels, Eldar, Chaos Marines
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2009, 05:50:00 PM »
The dedication you are putting into this and with the support of the other half let alone help is amazing.

Good work.

Keep at it. Only time will finish it with fantastic results, and I am sure everyone agrees, the painted set will be most delightfull.

Cheers

Offline Lt_PliskinAJ

• Captain
Re: Completly custom IG infantry. (Arm building) - 8/30
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2009, 12:11:47 AM »
@ Cake Slice
Sure I can get you more pictures of the flamer. I just put a catachan flamer on him and used the mortar hand to hold the flamer tank.

As you can see its a simple conversion. I figured if these guys are going to be mechanized they don't want to have a huge fuel tank on there backs to get in the way but could go back the APC for more ammo.

@ burgers
I have been thinking about some new version of the lasgun but I just like it too much. If anything I might make a sight rail on some of them but that is a HUGE maybe.

@ SMVaaughn
I am going to start painting them once I get a squad or two of them done. Right now I have casted enough to make a squad but I have only 7 of them built yet.

++++ Progress report ++++ 8/30

So anyway on the Titan front I we have made the legs, and torso fully assembled we just have to finish the cotpit and make the weapons. We are going to make two of each weapon so we can have them set up anyway we need to in the game. I do not have any pictures of that as the titan is downstairs and I am all the way upstairs right now. .... Lazy but oh well some times it feels good to be.

Now for the infantry aspect. I have 7 troopers fully assembled and ready to be painted. I have a 5 torsos and 3 heads in the line up ready to go. One head was a bad cast so I am going to save it by making the helmet collapsed on his belt and he is going to be bare headed.

Production is going to be going up as I made a second set of molds.

The main thing about the new guards men is that I am making them a bit taller. For some reason I didn't notice this before but the standard IG can almost be nuckel dragers, there arms seem to be a bit disproportionate to there torsos so I made the body's a bit different. I can also make them different heights be just trimming a bit more off the torso, the ammo packs seem to cover it up well.

Showing the hight difference.

The left guy I trimmed a bit off the front to make him ducking. I just make the cut from the back and stop it once it reaches the back of the webbing.

I finally had some sculpting time. I started on the arm tonight.

My first try failed horribly. I attempted the sausage approach, making a tube of greenstuff and shaping it to an arm. It would have made a great gumby solider....

I then tried for another approach. Actually making the arm from the bones up. The paperclip was the arm bones and I made a very thin tube of green stuff to make in to muscle.

I just then piled them into the approximate positions. It doesn't have to be exact as I am going to be putting on some sleeves.

Thanks Col.Gravis on the hand help. I just now got to palms/wrist in the next day or so I might get to the fingers itself.

As for more customization I am going to make a few more arms and I am going to try for at least one per squad to have some sort of bionics in them to represent that they have been in combat for a long time and have accumulated plenty of causualties  and purple harts. The Bionics tho will not be cast just some one off things. (Not everyone gets hurt the same way.)

Offline burgers4me

• Burgers, The Delicious Graduate
    • Story of The Gods (SotG)
Re: Completly custom IG infantry. (Arms in development) - 8/30
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2009, 12:44:26 AM »
Nom nom nom....

Delicious Project, I eat it up....

It is actually looking quite good. So this is going to ge a fully mechanised army?
What, Wait?

Why do I even have this thing...

"There is no such thing as a bad story. Just one that can be improved."

Offline Lt_PliskinAJ

• Captain
Re: Completly custom IG infantry. (Arms in development) - 8/30
« Reply #27 on: September 1, 2009, 12:23:04 AM »
Yeah its going to be a fully mechanized army. As of right now I have 7 Chimeras ready to go, 2 Russes, a vanquisher, 2 basilisks and a crap load of sentinels. I am at the point where I have just about all I need to play almost any list so anymore Chimeras I am going to make modular so in smaller games they can be support vehicles.

++++ Update 8/31 ++++

Today no progress on the arm. For far for the past 2 weeks I have been occupied by changing up what I do.

I did work on the Titan. Here is what we had done last night.

Today I worked some on the exhaust/intake for what ever huge engines have to run this thing. This is the picture of the forge world version.

This is my rendition, I went for a combination grate intake and dual exhausts. It wouldn't make sense in a real machine as you would be intaking the exhaust but it looks really cool so I'm keeping it. If this was a practical game tanks wouldn't have WWI treads that wrap around the whole tank and there wouldn't be huge walking monsters.

I did make another infantryman. It is the 8th one so the next two will be the missile launcher or lascannon team. I'm still up in the air on that one. I would do a standard missile launcher with a loader or have a lascannon robot with an operator. The robot would be similar to this.

Offline Cakes on a plane

• I'm Lucy!
  • I'm velvety and red. YAY!
Re: Custom IG infantry. (Keeping it steady) - 8/31
« Reply #28 on: September 1, 2009, 04:49:44 AM »
Don't go for the robot, it wouldnt make much sense for mech infantry i think.

Just have a jazzy RL and team imo. That flamer is delicious btw.
Losing to Raktra consistently since 2007...still

"I love the smell of promethium in the morning"

Offline Ghostofman

« Reply #29 on: September 1, 2009, 11:06:47 PM »
Counterpoint: Note the guy going through the door.

Go for the bot. I admit I'm a little bias as my guard (if I ever get around to working on them) will have similar influences.

Offline Archon_Yggdrisil

• That....was METAL!
« Reply #30 on: September 1, 2009, 11:30:55 PM »
The new space hulk set comes with a little bot almost exactly like that.

Life is not measured by the moments in which we breath. Life is measured by the moments that take our breath away. -Carlin

Offline Lt_PliskinAJ

• Captain
« Reply #31 on: September 2, 2009, 12:27:26 AM »
Well... I decided to go for both. I will run missile launchers in my line squads and lascannons in my command squads. But I will get to that later.

++++ Progress report 9/1 ++++

I now have my first full line squad. Sgt, flamer, missile launcher and 6 more infantry.

Full squad

Loader

Missile launcher

The team put together. I will put them on a 60mm base in the next few days. It will be magnetized for wound counting and packability.

This is how I still manage to use miscast heads. Just make them a helmet on there belt and put on a Sgt head.

I decided on an appropriate company commander.

It is the old tank commander on the new commander legs. I wanted him to look like an armor commander that has dismounted. Most of the time he will be spending his time in the tank anyway.

And finally the gun drone. I decided to put the drone in my company command squad for 2 reasons. 1 it can benefit from there BS4 and fluff wise the drone is quite big and I do not think it would fit in a chimera with 9 other infantrymen.

And that is how I made the drone. It is still a work in progress so there will be some more details. I will add a control box and a wired remote to an operator. This will also go on a 60mm base also.

Offline legionnaire

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Custom IG infantry. (1 squad down 7 more to go) - 9-1
« Reply #32 on: September 2, 2009, 12:33:58 AM »
i'd be careful on independent bots in the guard for you know the whole hate new tech the imperium has. Plus the whole use to have robots but not any more stance coming into play try for a more of a controller deal like with the cyclops.

Plus it does help with the 2 wounds for HW teams.
There is a saying: yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the "present".

Offline Markay

• Lieutenant Colonel | Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Hardcore card whore.
    • My Portfolio Website
« Reply #33 on: September 2, 2009, 09:07:15 AM »
Really awesome project and coming on at a great pace! I'm really tempted to follow your lead and make myself a titan at some point  ;D

Nice work with the use of miscast heads and the bot. Looking great.

I decided on an appropriate company commander.
(Image removed from quote.)
It is the old tank commander on the new commander legs. I wanted him to look like an armor commander that has dismounted. Most of the time he will be spending his time in the tank anyway.

Theres something about that that doesn't seem quite right. Perhaps its just perspective but his top half looks out of proportion possibly due to his small waistline. I'd hazard a guess that its not his belt matching up to his legs but a bit underneath his belt. I've had similar problems with the *exterminator* tank commander.

edit..
« Last Edit: September 2, 2009, 10:34:28 AM by Markay »

Offline Reikai

• What 'bout my star?~*
« Reply #34 on: September 2, 2009, 10:00:05 AM »
[quote author=Markay link=topic=187948.msg2321970#msg2321970

Theres something about that that doesn't seem quite right. Perhaps its just perspective but his top half looks out of proportion possibly due to his small waistline. I'd hazard a guess that its not his belt matching up to his legs but a bit underneath his belt. I've had similar problems with the demolisher tank commander.
[/quote]

I'm gonna have to agree with this.  Perhaps try to file off a bit off the top?  his torso area just looks too... "long."  If you will.

Offline SMVaughn

• "I am and always shall be your friend." - LN
  • Armies: Space Marines, Dark Angels, Eldar, Chaos Marines
Re: Custom IG infantry. (1 squad down 7 more to go) - 9/1
« Reply #35 on: September 2, 2009, 11:04:46 AM »
The part that jumps at me is not the length of the torso but rather the bottom half of a "trech Coat". Does not in proportion with the top half of the commander fit. It appears out of place. Almost like the Tank Commander should be wearing just the pants, no coat.

IMO

Nice work though. Comming along great and the bot thing is cood too.

Offline Lt_PliskinAJ

• Captain
« Reply #36 on: September 2, 2009, 01:47:15 PM »
Yeah I know what you mean by how it looks a bit out of place. I think what would help it is if I put some greenstuff or equipment to cover up the mating line between the legs and the body. If you look that the torso on the commander the flap lines up almost perfectly with the trench coat. The problem is how the commander was made, it was not made to be put on some legs it has a small flat spacer area where it is meant to be glued into a match metal receiver that would go in a turret. If this part was coverd your eye wouldn't gravitate to what the heck is wrong with the center of that guy's body.

Offline NewHeretic

• Same Heretic, New God | Ork Boy
« Reply #37 on: September 2, 2009, 10:17:40 PM »
Love the Lasbot :), but the Flamer's left hand should be supporting the front end of the weapon rather than holding the fuel cannister.  Simply cutting the wrist and rotating it palm up should suffice.

NewHeretic
Good advice from Joshua:

Choose you this day
Whom you will serve...
As for me and my house,
We will serve the Lord.

NewHeretic, forum policeman.

Offline Only Slightly Crazy

• Those Damm commies! Impurifing our bodily fluids!
« Reply #38 on: September 2, 2009, 11:36:42 PM »
I also love the lasbot.  :)
One suggestion, the bots you have pictured all have some sort of optic piece on them. The binocs from the HW teams should fit the bill nicely.
DISCLAMER! Any thing offensive can be considered a joke in bad taste. Thank you!

Offline Lt_PliskinAJ

• Captain
« Reply #39 on: September 3, 2009, 12:54:39 AM »
The main reason why I left the hand stock is that is the maximum reach of the arm. I actually flattened out the hand some to make it grip the tank a bit more. I will try a different approach for the next line squad tho.

About the lasbot.... that has a nice ring to it.... it will have more stuff on it. Mainly it will have a some optics on it, a junction box and a land line to the operator and I will have it carring some equipment. Basically it will just be a remote controlled heavy weapon carrier.

++++ Progress Report 9/2 ++++

No infantry progress today. I was busy with other family stuff and it takes priority. I had about an hour or so on and off so I managed to construct some more details on the titan.

A DOOR!

Every vehicle needs a cargo rack. I will actually put some equipment up there and an observation area as this will act like a command vehicle.