News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Recon cadre list for review  (Read 1537 times)

Offline Col. Dash

• We're the Imperium, we're here to help
Recon cadre list for review
« on: January 22, 2009, 02:10:25 PM »
I am in a long term fun campaign(unless the store volunteers a prize, it will just be for cool points). Comp, fluffiness, painting, and overall coolness of the army count for way more than actual win/loss. In that theme i have decided to go with what looks like a fun Recon themed cadre. I havent figured out the points yet but i am guessing they will be around 2000 points.(i am at work and do not have the books in front of me. Its an all comers list, competitors currently consist of a mech tau and vanilla marine. FW is allowed.
Shas'O Rym myr (FW guy) 2xshield drones
- crisis suits x 2 PR, MP with a multitracker
(they are my TEQ hunters)**

Shas'el MP, CIB, multi-tracker, controller with shield drones x2
 - crisis x2 MP, BC, multitracker
(My general firepower command squad, also early force leader)

Stealth Marker Team x3
 Leader- Marker light
 Drone Controllers on suits and 4 markerlight drones (might add 2 for the team leader too)

Stealth Team x6 with 2 shield drones

FWx12
FWx12
Devilfish x2 with FD, SMS, seeker missiles x2

Kroot x10 (I want 1 squad maybe 2 depending on available points)

Tetra x2
Piranha x2 FB, FD, each has a seeker missile
Piranha x2 FB, FD, each has a seeker missile

Skyray FD
Skyray FD
Hammerhead w/RC if i have points

** My other option was to run three of them as a separate crisis team and run the cool FW suits with built in markerlights. Again RoC is more important than outright effectiveness.
I am trying to go the whole synergy route with lots of markerlights and seekers. How does this look given that theme? Any glaring issues?
 -
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 04:41:03 PM by Col. Dash »

Offline Sayt

• The Devil you think you know.
Re: Recon cadre list for review
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 09:48:01 PM »
only thing that looks off to me is the fact that you've included tetras.  Are youplsying apocalypse? Are they counting as piranhas? What rules are you using for them? What points value are being used for them?

Offline Daedalus_Mk_V

• God from a machine.
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 11:02:47 PM »
I imagine he's using the IAV3 rules for them, Sayt. There's lots of Tau stuff in that book, even if everything except the flyers is overpriced and/or useless...

Offline Col. Dash

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 07:06:29 AM »
Tetras are great little markerlight carriers. The campaign we are playing allows FW non-superheavies and flyers. I actually did finish writing up my list and will post it later. Here is a question though, which would be more effective.
a crisis squad with BCs, and MPs or...
FW guys bodyguard. Equip them with the XV-81 suits with integral SMS systems, add MPs, TA, and MT. The cost the same as a bodyguard in fireknife configuration when you add in the extras and now you have a moving unit which can fire 20 shots at at least BS4. Expensive, but is it worth it compared to the other squad. I will post my actual pointed list when I get to work, which I need to go to now.....

Offline Col. Dash

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 08:11:03 AM »
OK here is my list as written right now. The above question is still under question.
Shas'O FW-guy w/ 2 shield drones                  190
Shas'El XV-81(SMS) MT, TA, CIB                     100
 BG - MP, BC, MT, HWDC 2x gundrones            80
 BG - MP, BC, MT, HWDC 2x gundrones            80

Crisis Team
Shas'vre FB, PR, TA, HWMT                             196
    Crisis x2 FB, PR, MT

Stealth marker Team x3                                   225
  TL- Marker light, drone controllers with 4xmarker Drones

Piranha x2 FB, 1 seeker each, DP                      160
Piranha x2 FB, 1 seeker each, FD, DP                180
Tetras x2 TA                                                  110

Sky Ray x2 TA, FD, SMS, DP                     (165)330

FW x12 DF, seeker x1, DP                                215
FW x12 DF, seeker x1, DP                                215

I have 20 points to spend so I could add another pair of gundrones to the 'El team for a little more firepower.
Or I could do the before mentioned removal of the dakka team and attatch the el to the other HQ adding in a fW bodyguard to the mix for an uber dakka team. With the 'el there, and downgrading the MPs to BCs, and still adding 2 gundrones, thats alot of shots at 4 less points. But is it viable on the field or just a cool looking unit of battlesuits thats fearless against Imperial troops?
Also considering I have the models on hand, replacing the dakka squad with a full on stealth team. Just idle musings.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 09:24:22 AM by Col. Dash »

Offline Daedalus_Mk_V

• God from a machine.
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 11:49:09 AM »
FW guys bodyguard. Equip them with the XV-81 suits with integral SMS systems, add MPs, TA, and MT. The cost the same as a bodyguard in fireknife configuration when you add in the extras and now you have a moving unit which can fire 20 shots at at least BS4. Expensive, but is it worth it compared to the other squad. I will post my actual pointed list when I get to work, which I need to go to now.....
Despite having Relentless as of the new rules, I'd like to point out that the Codex specifically states that they must be stationary to fire heavy weapons... Therefore, none of the FW suits are ever usefull, because you can never use their guns. Not to mention that the SMS is a minor upgrade over the BC anyways and the Suit isn't nearly worth that price... Go BC/MP if you want anti-GEq.

The list... You have 11 markerlights in your army. You have 18 Seeker Missile to fire with them. With average hit rates through your army, doing nothing but firing Seeker Missiles will take you 3 turns to get them all off. I think you could easily drop one of the Sky Rays for something else and not miss it too much.
You're really short on bodies for a game this size. Since you've got so many points in expensive Marker Drones and huge bodyguard units, not to mention about 200 points worth of Seekers, you seem to be really missing out on numbers and real firepower, especially in a 2k point list. With only those two Fire Warrior teams on the board, the enemy can easily wipe out your Troops and guarantee himself a draw at worst. I know you have a themed list going on here, but I'd really reccomend dropping one of those Sky Rays for more Fire Warrirs, and maybe finding some more points after that for either more FWs or some Kroot.

Offline Col. Dash

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 01:11:33 PM »
Thats a good point. OK, guess I will ditch the ideas for my XV81s in favor of a normal dakka squad of crisis. Hmm I suppose I can ditch a skyray for some kroot and figure somethign else out for the extra points. Was also considering skipping the dakka team and replacing it with a standard stealth team.

Offline Col. Dash

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 08:15:24 AM »
Ok, had some clarification on the FW suits. They can  fire their heavy weapons because relentless says that the model counts as stationary. I have revised my list a bit though. Its turning into more of a Force Recon list as opposed to a sneak out and laser point people list.
FORCE RECON CADRE 2K
Shas'O R'Myr            (his job is to distract and draw fire, plus pop a termy or marine every now and then, expensive but I want to use the model dangit lol)                 160

Shas'el (Deathmark team, they replace the SMT with some longer hitting firepower +markers)
  XV 84 w/ TLMP, HWDC +2xmarker drones                                              118
  BG x2 w/ TLMP, TL                                                                               116

Crisis Team Room Sweeper (cheap high rate of fire)                                  150
    guys x3 MP, BC, MT

Crisis Team Play Dough ("1000 year old ceramite terminator armor? ...Play dough")
  3 guys PR, FB, MT                                                                               162

Stealth team x6                                                                                     180

Total suits 16     Points: 838
Most suits I ever fielded. Just seems kind of fun. They each have a job to play.

Tetras x2                                                                         100
Piranhas x2 FB, 1 seeker each                                            140
Skyray DP, SMS, FD                                                          160

Kroot x10                                                                         70
FW x12                                                                           120
FW x12                                                                           120     
FW x6 w/ carbines                                                             60

OK, now how does this list sound? Look feasible on the battlefield? I have 4 scoring units now. Whats redundant in this list? Note that I have  not added any drones besides the Deathmark team drones. According to MS calculator I have 344 points to spend. What else should I add? I am thinking a railhead, and some scattered sheild and gun drones.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 08:39:07 AM by Col. Dash »

Offline Sayt

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 11:14:05 AM »
My immediate reaction is that your FWs are gonna be leftbehind by the battlesuits ifthey don't have Devilfish. Other that that, bond and team leader the steaths, so 90 points of stealthsuits don't run off the table after a nasty hit. Other than that it looks good.good, I'd be tempted to give the roomsweeper team plasma rifles instead of missile pods, to be t tiny bit more fluffy and pack a little more punch.

My two cents.

Offline Col. Dash

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 12:48:19 PM »
I was actually thinking off adding that combo of weapons to a bodyguard of the Shas'O, plasma rifle and burst cannon + MT. That I get a little more AP and some general use firepower without being too too expensive.
Also considering adding another 2 piranha squadron with a seeker each and fusion blasters. I might possibly add 2x DFs with a seeker on them for the FW units, which would run 180 points and I think I would still have enough for the BG.
Which would be more efficiant pointwise, the Bodyguard or a Railhead?
BTW: My 'el in the above list is very underpointed for some reason for some reason in my math. He should be 148. Not drastic but reduces my available points a bit.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 02:25:52 PM by Col. Dash »

Offline Sayt

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 02:47:04 PM »
Get the Fish and railhead. I'm fairly serious about the furewarriors getting left behind. Give them flechette dischargers and d-pods, and they should be golden. And then you'd have a fairly strong mechanised force. After that, personally, I'd make your command squad cib+plasma for the el and plasma burst for the bodyguard and use them as 'room sweepers', and then give the team you had as room sweepers the twinlinked missile pods.

After that, if tlyou have spare points, drones and bsun filters are ok fillers

Offline Col. Dash

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 04:00:05 PM »
That wouldnt work with the 'el since they are effectively a marker team. All of their weapons plus the marker drones and the 'el's markerlight are the same range. Their job is to bounce around in the backfield popping light armor at range. What i could do since the 'el has a TL, would be give them a BC or flamers for close in work when the enemy closes faster than they can hop.

Offline Col. Dash

« Reply #12 on: February 9, 2009, 10:19:32 AM »
OK, reworked this list again for a more general comers list. I dont have the exact points at work but should end up around 2k
Shas'o Rymr  shield drones x2
Shas'el command team
  shas'el (xv-84 suit) TLMP, DC 2xmarker drones, positional relay, HW target lock, HWMT
    BG x2     TLMP, DC shield drone
                  TLMP, TL

Crisis team Helios x3 (PR, FB, MT)
Crisis Team  Room Sweeper Shas'O runs with this unit
   Vre with CIB, plasma rifle, MT
      2x guys Plasma rifle, burst cannon, MT

Stealth team x6

FW x12 w DF, +DP, seeker, FD, MT
FW x 12
Kroot x10
FW x 6 or 8 with photon and EMP grenades

Tetras x 2
Pathfinders x 8 w/ DF +DP, seeker missile, FD, MT
Piranha x2 with FB, DP, seeker missile 1 each

Skyray DP, SMS, MT, FD
Hammerhead w/railcannon if i get points.

Same idea as before. Deathmark team stays in backfield markering and popping transports
R'Myr goes with room sweeper and they use plasma for marines at a distance or go in for horde clearing.
The FW without a DF catch a ride with pathfinders DF
Helios is pretty obvious TEQ, MEQ and vehicles

How does this version look?

Offline Sayt

« Reply #13 on: February 9, 2009, 06:43:36 PM »
Lose the photon grenades.  if the squad gets into CC, it's ganked, with or without the opponent getting  charge attacks, EMP nades.....well, I dunno about them

Offline Col. Dash

« Reply #14 on: February 9, 2009, 09:15:29 PM »
I am pretty sure the reading is that I cant take one without the other. A rather annoying way of wording it. Their job is to basically sneak and avoid notice and try to get an attack on a vehicle or prehaps sneak onto an objective. Basically an attempt to try out EMP commandos in 5th. I plan on painting them as camo as I can with perhaps a lichen ghili cloak so hopefully my opponent will forget they are present.

Offline Locke

• Bring the Rain
« Reply #15 on: February 9, 2009, 09:37:21 PM »
Haha. No offense, but you're wrong. The options are seperate, otherwise there's reason to name different points costs. As is, I'de drop them all. You'll be sweeping advanced to death as it is. If you want to try EMP commandos, at least save yourself points off the Photon grenades.

Lol @ the camo idea though.
Locke's Record (2010):
 Shas'el'Sa'cea'Kanvah'Kais: 3-1-1
 Simulation (Vassal) Record: 31-4-9
            Tau: 21-3-6
     Necrons: 3-1-1
 Dark Eldar: 7-0-2

Offline Col. Dash

« Reply #16 on: February 9, 2009, 11:12:07 PM »
I think thats the way it was meant to be written. My Only issue with it is it says photon +x points "and" EMP + x points not "and/or". Since 5th ed kinda messed up the idea of spirit of the rules, it turns people into wording lawyers. However that seems like a perfectly legit reading to me and I will definately add the points in there that way lol. Its also why there are only 6-8 guys so it is small enough to escape notice.
I actually had a marine scout sniper squad camo'd up in ghili suits with lichen. I placed them in some trees which used similar lichen, and both myself and the other player forgot about them until we were packing up terrain. He even had his swarms move past the terrain on both sides. I rate it at 50% successful lol.

Offline Sayt

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2009, 05:30:20 AM »
They're listed in spererate entries in the Codex, and and have different point costs.  Nowhere does it say you have to take one oi you take the other.

Offline Col. Dash

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2009, 02:14:49 PM »
Hmm I believe you but I still think its a bad translation. Maybe you have a later printing than me and they made a change. Its all on one line of mine. May take photon grenades for +x points and EMP grenades for +x points per member.  What it should say for clarity is may take photon and/or EMP grenades. Anyway, we digress.
Read a very interesting review of the Piranha gunships. i have turned the page and moved on but this post made me rethink them. TL fusion guns plus an integral tragetting array with the option of TLing rail rifles and still being able to add seekers? Plus an extra armor point on the side? this thing sounds pretty awesome.