News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: [How many Kroot should I have in a 2000 point army?]  (Read 701 times)

Offline 4 the greater food

• Walk softly.........and carry a big gun
[How many Kroot should I have in a 2000 point army?]
« on: July 17, 2007, 10:44:48 PM »
As of now I have one kroot squad in my army, only upgrade is a shaper.How many kroot squads would be best to have in a 2000pt tau army?( the army has varity ) and how should they be used effectively? cause mine never do much of anything???

Changed title to something more descriptive and useful.  -Mr.Peanut
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 11:08:03 PM by Mr.Peanut »
JUST DO IT ( with the help of 27 drones)

You'll be back again? GOOD, more things 2 shoot

Chuck Norris is the emperor

Offline Mr.Peanut (Turtleproof)

• Ride Like Lightning, Crash Like Thunder | Infinity Circuit | Pork Sword of Mod-Justice | Took the basket, nuts and lol | Good grief, ye hennie pennies
  • Ancient
  • Turtleposting At The Speed Of SHift
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Sigmarines, Chaos, Demons
Re: [How many Kroot should I have in a 2000 point army?]
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 11:11:00 PM »
If you find that they aren't useful in your army, you may want to ask yourself if you want any more at all.  I like Kroot, but if they don't suit your style then you don't need them.  Not doing something can be useful it itself- if the Kroot caught an incoming assault unit, freeing your Firewarriors to shoot, then it did something very useful (and probably caused at least one or two casualties in the process). 
You are
What you do
When it counts
     -The Masao
"Getting what you want can be dangerous.

Offline Siege_TF

• Lazerous Penguin
  • *Slurp* I mean... *Sip*
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 03:11:51 AM »
I have 17; 14 Carnivores, 2 Hounds, 1 Shaper (though I never upgrade the rest of the Kindred's armor - it's an option, not a nessessity).

In Combat Patrol the Shaper cheers from off the board, but 700+ all the way to 2000 point games has this Kindred, and they've never let me down. Lemme recant some highlights of their carrer so far.

The Emperor's Champion charges the Kroot, issues a challenge, lops off the Shaper's head, and gets shucked like a crayfish by the rest of them.

Warboss in Mega Armor is the only surviving Ork in his unit to reach me. He promptly kills the Crisis Suit he charged (just as planned) and get Rapid Fired by the Kroot he assumed would counter-charge.

Guard took a heavy support platoon of 3 mortar teams, and spent the game making the Kroot in the woods wonder when the horrible noise was going to stop, instead of lobbing shells at my suits.

SMurf player took some sort of doctorine that let his entire force Infiltrate. I won the roll to see who infiltrates first, so I placed the Kroot in a loooong line which left the SMurf player part of one corner to try and fit his force.

Conscripts, it's what's for dinner. And probably every other meal for the next few days too...

Eldar player takes the bait of shooting at my Crisis suit huffed up on Stimms with his Rangers or Pathfinders (I forget which one they were), all the while the Kroot are running across no-man's-land chanting 'fresh meat, fresh meat, fresh meat'.
Onager 
/ˈänəjər
/Noun
An animal of a race of the Asian wild ass (Equus hemionus onager) native to northern Iran.

In other words GW are calling Tau players wild asses for wanting a melee suit option.

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 08:20:47 AM »
Kroot are cheap, versatile firepower you can infiltrate into your opponent's flanks and bother him until he has to do something about them. Stick them in cover, and make them annoying as possible, but keep them cheap! If you are spending more than around 100 points on Kroot, you are spending too much in my opinion (or should split the crowd into two groups). Stay away from Shapers, never take Krootoxen (losing infiltrate is a terrible idea for a crappy autocannon), and only take Kroot hounds against armies you plan to assault (i.e. Guard).

As for how many you need in 2000 points, I'd say one team of 12 would be enough. You *can* take more, of course, and they can peform very well, but they aren't a necessary part of every army. The only place I take a lot of them is in Cityfight, as there is plenty of cover for them to hide in. Remember--a Kroot out of cover is a dead Kroot, and a Kroot in the forest is a nasty creature.