News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Campaign Ideas For Orktober  (Read 1500 times)

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
Campaign Ideas For Orktober
« on: September 12, 2013, 11:24:58 AM »
OK, in case you hadn't noticed Orktober is rapidly approaching. And it was discussed before of running a campaign with old codex and again with new codex when it is released (rumored to be Febuwaaaghry 2014).

So I am putting it all to you. Shall we run some bog standard missions from the rule book, so we can run them again when the new codex comes out, and then compare the two to see if the orks have gotten better or worse?

Or, shall we run some special scenarios?

Let me know and I will get it ready for the 1st of Orktober launch.
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline Baron Wastelands

• Loota
  • Orks/Necrons in 6th
Re: Campaign Ideas For Orktober
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 01:54:52 PM »
I'll try and participate in this one; I suggest we run the regular scenarios, but with strictly themed lists, ranging from the standard (bike lists, trukks full of shootas, kan wall, green tide, etc.), to the more outlandish or fluff themed lists (air force, deffwing, or even and in particular lists using stuff we have learned not to take this ed), and then we try and run the same lists after to establish what themes are viable in the new dex?
Just a thought;, I for example would be interested in trying a dredd mob from the basic codex, and also returning to my biker only list.

Yellow is the new Green . . .

Offline Ork E Nuff

• Ork Boy
  • 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go!!!!!
  • Armies: Orks, SM (occassionally)
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 06:48:35 PM »
I support what Baron W has already posted.  Let's run the standard missions in the rulebook; that way there is no way anyone can claim they didn't get it or understand what they were supposed to do.  I'm for a cap limit:  1750 pts.  Large enough to be interesting, small enough to be manageable.  I would stick strictly with what the codex states you can run; fluff is great and all, but if we collectively don't have a way to validate it, then it's really just an experiment with units we'd never really run as a whole.  In order for this to really work, guidelines need to be black and white, no grey allowed.  Once we start "what if"-ing or "why not"-ing all over the place, we've lost what we are trying to do in the first place.   If we want to experiment with the outrageous or out-dated, let's do that as a completely different event...just my two teef!
Blood n Guts is nuffin more dan bio-d-gradible axle grease.....Remember, that which does not kill you, will only try harder the next time...I've named me attack squig "Skippy"....is that wrong?

Offline CheesyRobMan

• Burna Mek
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 04:15:59 AM »
Not sure about mandating certain lists - after all not all of us have the models for a biker army, dread mob, green tide etc in our collection. Standard missions sound like the best idea IMHO.
"Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" - Marvin the Martian

Offline Baron Wastelands

• Loota
  • Orks/Necrons in 6th
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 01:39:41 PM »
Sorry, I didnt mean that we should stipulate what lists had to be used, I only meant to suggest that if those who felt inclined played a fairly rigid themed list before and after, it might help us get to grips with which themes will work with the new codex, and which themes we have generally abandoned since 6th will be viable. I didnt mean we should do anything the codex didnt permit, quite the opposite -I would want to run lists that are likely to still be possible in the updated codex.

For example, I know that a biker list is strong, particularly with biker nobz, if a little unforgiving if not played carefully - be nice to compare with a similar game after the new dex to see if the same is true. Similarly, not many people use stormboyz right now, but I'd be happy to run a list with them in so that I can run the same thing after and see what has changed. Examples go on, and it may be that many people don't need reminding what's good or bad about the current options; for me personally the contrast would be interesting.

Most people favour one or two lists, be it kan wall, speed freaks, green tide, etc. And they tend to favour them even if they aren't very playable in the current incarnation, and want to know if they're any good again when something changes. But of course it doesn't need to be set by the campaign; I just thought it mightigive an additional purpose to the exercise to run the same lists (as much as possible) before and after, and compare - whether that's for individual units or army themes.

Yellow is the new Green . . .

Offline CheesyRobMan

• Burna Mek
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 03:17:11 AM »
Ah right, I see what you mean. Sounds like a good idea to explore certain themes and see how they fare between codices  :)   
"Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" - Marvin the Martian

Offline Ork E Nuff

• Ork Boy
  • 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go!!!!!
  • Armies: Orks, SM (occassionally)
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 06:38:47 PM »
Makes more sense...would it be acceptable to run a rigid, codex themed list, and then run a more, let's say, esoteric list based on your current game play (Dredd/Kanz, bikers, stormboyz, green tide-ish, etc)?  As long as both lists could be compared from codex to codex, I believe the overall intent is validated...Or maybe it's just the voices in my head telling to do things again...one never knows...Anyway, I think as long as you the player have the models to run a list, then you can probably consider your efforts valid as long as both lists fit in the codex your dealing with.  Like one of my esteemed collegues pointed out, not everyone can run a biker list; but, that shouldn't eliminate them from running what they have (within parameters) and letting us know how it worked out.  AS LONG AS WE RUN STANDARD 40K MISSIONS FROM THE 6TH ed RULEBOOK!!!  No need to re-invent the wheel when it's already on the cart...
Again, my two teef...
Blood n Guts is nuffin more dan bio-d-gradible axle grease.....Remember, that which does not kill you, will only try harder the next time...I've named me attack squig "Skippy"....is that wrong?

Offline adamscurr

• Mega Armored Biker Boss
  • Armies: Evil Sunz, Crimson Fists
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2013, 01:28:49 PM »
I like the idea of battle using themed ork lists.  We could do a battle report posting of our results!  Could be fun!

I think everyone has their own style of play, but I don't know any ork players (aside from Skeet perhaps) who typically run a single style of list.  For instance, I run Evil Sunz, but no bikes...  Just Battle Wagons, trukks, and trakks... 

Adam

Cause We's Da Orks, and You's Not!!!

Offline commissar_bob

• blarg
  • Armies: space wolfs.  IG armored company
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 08:36:30 AM »
Thia thread idea is why i love orks ..

I have a kan army small point bit good for skirmishes or allies to show my guard how its done so i can post from that angle

I vote we do standard senario maby 1 'insound our favor' skewed scenario play to use as a controll of somekind