News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1,500pt Troupe of New Worlds  (Read 1357 times)

Offline Wargamer

• Codex King, Field Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Guess what I've been doing!
1,500pt Troupe of New Worlds
« on: August 22, 2005, 09:27:08 AM »
Can't remember if I've posted this up before... sorry if I have.

HQ:
Great Harlequin Rasmus.
Shuriken Pistol, Harlequin's Kiss, Powerblades, Domino Field, Plasma & Haywire Grenades.

ELITES:
Master Mime N'Kai.
Shuriken Pistol, Riveblades, Domino Field, Plasma & Haywire Grenades.

The Solitaire.
Shuriken Pistol, Riveblades, Domino Field, Plasma & Haywire Grenades.

The Aspirant Kin.
10 Dark Eldar Warriors, consisting of the following:
9 Dark Eldar Warriors with Splinter-Rifles.
1 Dark Eldar Warrior with Splinter-Cannon.
Raider with Dark Lance.

TROUPES:
Troupe of the Great Dance.
10 Harlequins, consisting of the following:
Troupe Leader with Shuriken Pistol, Powerblades and Harlequin's Kiss.
2 Harlequins with Shuriken Pistol and Harlequin's Kiss.
7 Harlequins with Shuriken Pistol and close-combat weapon.

Troupe of the Bloody Dance.
10 Harlequins, consisting of the following:
Troupe Leader with Shuriken Pistol, Powerblades and Harlequin's Kiss.
2 Harlequins with Shuriken Pistol and Power Weapons.
7 Harlequins with Shuriken Pistol and close-combat weapon.

Troupe of Joy.
5 Mimes, consisting of the following:
Mimic with Shuriken Pistol, Powerblades and Harlequin's Kiss.
4 Mimes with Shuriken Pistol and close-combat weapon.

Troupe of Sorrow.
5 Mimes, consisting of the following:
2 Mimes with Shuriken Pistol and Harlequin's Kiss.
3 Mimes with Shuriken Pistol and close-combat weapon.

HEAVY SUPPORT:
They who Dance the Reaper's Part:
Two Death Jesters. One with Bright Lance, one with Shrieker Cannon.

Mockingbird:
Shuriken Cannon, Vibrocannon, Holofield.

1500pts.

Was a General of the Imperial Guard, now more of a freelance Captain sort of thing. Ish. Keeping the rank pins though, they look nice.

EOdex Harlequin Player, now and always.
Death to the fake Harlequins!

"Let's make some mischief!"
-175th Galetonian.

Offline InfinityCircuit

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Useless, useless."--JWB
Re: 1,500pt Troupe of New Worlds
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 10:24:27 AM »
Overall this list looks very good, Wargamer!

I like your characters, but I have a couple questions.

1.) Why no Blaster on the DE Warriors?  I'm no expert, but it seems like Blasters and Splinter Cannons always go hand in hand.

2.) I don't like all your troupe leaders/Mimics with the Powerblades and Harlequin's Kiss.  A couple years ago I always tried to do that, and for me it never turned out to be needed.  My Harlequins were always up to the snuff against all but the most specialized, rare enemy units.

3.) Why don't you use Power Weapons?  They are slightly more effective against Marines and great against Sisters/Tau compared to the Harlequin's Kiss.

4.) I've never used the Mockingbird, but I think you definetly need at least one more Death Jester.  I'd also consider dropping the Shrieker Cannon.  Although I love it's fluff, I have not found it be very useful--I can rarely catch anyone in the blast if I kill someone, and with low AP I won't kill too many points with it anyway.

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005, 10:38:48 AM »
This looks really nasty, and look! I'm in it!
Do you know who you will be facing with this thing, as some things might need modifications.
I ama bit worried that none of your trpoupes have haywire-greandes, so if they get stuck in combat with a dreadnought they are all dead. That would be a shame.

And InfinityCircuit; it has been shown a few times that the kiss is actually a few fractions of a percept better against marines than the powerweapon was (as long as you are not fighting termies).

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline Wargamer

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005, 03:22:28 PM »
The list really needs to be able to face anyone. Usual opponents can be anyone out of:

Five Marine armies.
Three Guard armies.
Two Ork armies.
A Dark Eldar army.
An Eldar armies.
A Necron army.
A Tyranid army.
Two Chaos armies.
Two Tau armies.
Plus whatever else shows up.

So I kind of need to be able to face anything with this list...

Overall this list looks very good, Wargamer!
1.) Why no Blaster on the DE Warriors?  I'm no expert, but it seems like Blasters and Splinter Cannons always go hand in hand.
Simply didn't have the points... besides, I only want the squad for massed firepower (it's really an anti-hoard unit).

2.) I don't like all your troupe leaders/Mimics with the Powerblades and Harlequin's Kiss.  A couple years ago I always tried to do that, and for me it never turned out to be needed.  My Harlequins were always up to the snuff against all but the most specialized, rare enemy units.
They've done me proud so far...

3.) Why don't you use Power Weapons?  They are slightly more effective against Marines and great against Sisters/Tau compared to the Harlequin's Kiss.
Harlequin's Kiss works really well... as does sheer weight of attacks. Riveblades/Powerblades can normally do enough to ensure most Marines aren't a problem (I've got an amazing track record vs Marines).

4.) I've never used the Mockingbird, but I think you definetly need at least one more Death Jester.  I'd also consider dropping the Shrieker Cannon.  Although I love it's fluff, I have not found it be very useful--I can rarely catch anyone in the blast if I kill someone, and with low AP I won't kill too many points with it anyway.
I really like the Mockingbird. The Shrieker Cannon isn't that useful against Marines, but considering I've killed a Hive Tyrant with one, it's done too much to ever be left behind. Plus it's awesome when it hits a tightly packed unit (so that's three hits and four partials...). God bless Close Order Drill. ;D

Was a General of the Imperial Guard, now more of a freelance Captain sort of thing. Ish. Keeping the rank pins though, they look nice.

-175th Galetonian.

Offline InfinityCircuit

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2005, 03:58:23 PM »
This looks really nasty, and look! I'm in it!
Do you know who you will be facing with this thing, as some things might need modifications.
I ama bit worried that none of your trpoupes have haywire-greandes, so if they get stuck in combat with a dreadnought they are all dead. That would be a shame.

And InfinityCircuit; it has been shown a few times that the kiss is actually a few fractions of a percept better against marines than the powerweapon was (as long as you are not fighting termies).

Huh?  You are right and wrong.  Point-for-point, the Kiss is better.  As a purely abstract weapon, the Power Weapon is superior.  The probability of killing a Space Marine with a Power Weapon is:

2/3 (to hit) * 1/3 (to wound) = 2/9 = 12/54

And with a Harlequin's Kiss:

2/3 (to hit) * 5/6 (to wound) * 1/3 (to fail armor save) = 10/54

Thus the probability of a kill with a Power Weapon is 1/27 more than with a Harlequin's Kiss.

I like the Kiss as well--don't get me wrong.

Of course, the Power Weapon is slightly less efficient because of the the point cost.  In the long run therefore Harlequin's Kisses are superior--but against Sisters of Battle.  But the fact of the matter is that 3-4 points isn't going to make a difference, and there are only a limited number of special weapons you can take.  In an ideal world, 100% Kisses might be best.  But you can still only take 8 special weapons--and those 4 extra points aren't going anywhere!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 04:02:23 PM by InfinityCircuit »

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2005, 02:03:36 AM »
The problem with not including the powerweapons in your baggage is that the necrons will keep getting up, even if you kill the lord with the orb. Have yo uhad any luck with the kiss against them?

Offline Wargamer

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2005, 06:04:53 AM »
Not fought the Necrons yet... but I believe that if I wipe the entire squad out, then they can't get back up, Res. Orb or otherwise.

-175th Galetonian.

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2005, 08:33:41 AM »
True, but a group of ten warriors or immortals will be hard to bring down at one time without the aid of powerweapons, or at least one character as support.

Offline InfinityCircuit

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2005, 09:36:21 AM »
Another issue against Necrons is that the Veil of Darkness can make even small squads of Immortals or Warriors difficult to catch and therefore difficult to focus firepower on.  Therefore I also like the Power Weapon.

Offline Wargamer

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2005, 09:46:24 AM »
Well if needs be I can always swap the Great Harlequin and Dark Eldar for a Spirit Seer (same equip as Great Harlequin, Misdirection and Viel of Tears) and Spirit Walker, with 5 points to spare.

-175th Galetonian.