News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: I have a CWE assault army and want help...  (Read 666 times)

Offline Abraxas

• You do not speak for the rest...
I have a CWE assault army and want help...
« on: August 22, 2003, 04:18:51 PM »
Ok... i am coming right off the bat and saying i am not a Harlie savvy or anything. I downloaded the codex a couple of months ago in case they might come in handy. I am not one to play a cheesy "i will destroy everything from 4 feet away" kind of person. to tell you the truth, i am more of a "kiss my power sword you tin can" kind of person, and believing that asssault is the coolest thing to do (range can't do anything if you are fending off scorps or bansees) thought the harlies would be an interesting addition to my army.

I originally dowloaded the codex for one reason... jet bikes. For 45 points they are a steal over the pieces of crap they even dared to print in our codex, but i realized a realitively good squad could run me past 250 points... quite easily in fact. So i settled on a solotaire.

In my 1500 point army (2 waveserpents 8 scorps/bansees, exarch and a farseer with fortune [kicks major behind], 3 Vypers with b lances/s cannons, 6 spiders and exarch and a falcon with 6 dragons [good for armour pircing]) getting up close and personal comes natrual. They all require close qaurters to be sucesful, and all can do that pretty quickly, the slowest unit being the spiders which can move an average of 18" any way.

The reason i am posting this really long question is because i am over literate. I always say more then i really need to, but i thought you might want to know my reasoning before i start asking. Ok... this is what i want to do...

In the rare occasion that the scorpians can infiltrate, i figured i would take out the waveserpent (subtracting 20 points from it for stealth) and then spending the 140 points on something else. The only problem was that everything i wanted was too slow. A wraith lord would be nice, but 6" is really sad compared to verything else, then i thought maybe some range, but that was stearing away from the point of the army in the first place. I finally realized how stupid i was and started thumbing through the harlie codex and decided on the solitaire to add a serious "boo yaa" kinda gusto. I added wargear and came up with this pretty number.

141 Solotaire: power weapon, harlies kiss, phase field, pistol, tanglefoot grenade, bio explosive amunition, plasma grenades, halucegeni grenades, haywire grenades

for just above 140 points i can get a mean, lean fighting machine that can pop space marines like cans of pepsi... i hope. That is where you come in. Tell me if this is a worthy investment and if i should take/add things. Keep i just around 140 points please... thanx.

The second order of buisness  (oh yess... there is moer) is what to take it in. Yeah... the phase field makes it pretty fast, but i need it really fast, not so unpredictible. The idea is then to take out a Vyper (something i would need to do anyway to make a slot for the solitaire) and replace it with a venom. Give the venom a holofield and it fits perfectly. Now... with that done, comes the real question.

Does the venom count as an elite or transport on the force orginazation chart?

If it counts as an elite, i could probably combine the two vyper squads, but i have never done that before... is that a good idea.

If it counts as a transport then i am one lucky person... and happy.

Any answer to my questions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time and patience in reading my overly long question...
« Last Edit: August 22, 2003, 04:22:29 PM by abbraxis »
The avalanche has started, it is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Ambassador Kosh

The universe is driven by the complex interaction between three ingredients: matter, energy, and enlightened self-interest.
Ambassador G'Kar

Offline Von Lazuli

• What happened to my hat?!
Re:I have a CWE assault army and want help...
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2003, 07:07:17 PM »
Jeez, that took a bit of reading!  :D

Anyway onto your questions:

Your Solitare looks good but could do with a bit of tweaking.

Try taking away the following stuff: 141 Solotaire:power weapon, harlies kiss, phase field, pistol, tanglefoot grenade, bio explosive amunition, plasma grenades, halucegeni grenades, haywire grenades.

That will leave you with 17 points free. Give him a set of Powerblades instead. You also need to free up 18 more points so you can get a D-Feild. It is practically essential. Try dropping one spider or something.
If you notice this notice you will notice that this notice is not worth noticing.

Offline Alex of Xen

• I've Got That Arcade Feel!
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2003, 09:28:49 PM »
Alright, I play DE and Strike Force Ulthwe and ALWAYS take a Soliaire.  With Powerblades and Harlie Kiss he gets 12 attacks on charge.  Rive blades are good for the charge (power weapon instant kill on to wound roll of 6) and then for the following 6 attacks (with Rive Blades and Kiss you get +2 attacks) use the more reliable (but saveable) harlie kiss.  A D-Field means he will only be hit on a 6, never leave the Webway without it.  I personally use the 3d6 movement thingie, but if you want reliability you can give him a Jetbike, increased toughness and a base save of 3+.  Now, why would you have to drop a Vyper?  Vypers are Fast Attack, Solitaire is an Elite choice.  Unless its cause of point cost of course.  A Venom isnt the best Idea, since that would make him a bigger target (but he could be backed up by Harlies) and it takes up an Elite Choice, meaning that with Harlie support that would be all three of your Elite choices right there.  Hope that helps.

Archangel Xen

blah blah blah...

Offline Abraxas

• You do not speak for the rest...
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2003, 02:23:51 PM »
Oh yeah... I forgot to mention... i am using a Biel-tann army, that means that Vypers count as elites.

Von Lazuli: Yeah... that seems like a good idea... I'll take out the power weapon, grenades and bio ammo and just replace it with river blades. Then i will take out a spider and use the points for a d field. that should bring him to 142 or 143 but... who cares... i sure don't.  ;)

ArchangelXen: Yeah... for got to mention that... i play biel tann... that would explain the 4 squads of aspect warriors. The river blades seem like the more worthy investment, so i think i am going to take that. you aren't able to give a solotaire a bike... only a great harliquin and shadow seers can take bikes.

So back to my question... does a venom count as a transport or an Elite?
The avalanche has started, it is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Ambassador Kosh

The universe is driven by the complex interaction between three ingredients: matter, energy, and enlightened self-interest.
Ambassador G'Kar

Offline Luckyshot13

• Fūjin like beans!
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2003, 05:34:40 PM »
Ok, well this is going to be my only reply this week so I'll try and make it a good one. :)

First off the answer to your question is that the Venom will be an Elites choice.

As for ideas on your solitaire, the combination that seems to be most used on this board comes to 141 points. It's a solitaire with harlequins kiss, powerblades, shuriken pistol and domino field. The advantages of this combination is that you can either ignore armour or wound on a 2+ so you can take on any opponent and the fact that your opponent can only hit you on 6's is an excellent advantage to have. This is probably the best combination you could get for about 140 points but as I personally don't use a solitaire you might like to experiment with some different wargear.

As the Venom is going to replace the vyper I guess it's going to be 65 points (i.e a venom with a holofield). If you find a combination for the solitaire that comes out a bit cheaper than 140 points I would put the extra points into the venom. If you use the 141 point solitaire you wont need to take away a warp spider but I still would. Under the TVR having a strength 6 weapon is very useful (if you don't believe me just look at the new glancing hits table) and the extra points saved on either removing a warp spider or making savings in the solitaire's wargear would be enough to get one. Now obviously as I don't use a solitaire I don't use a venom to transport one but just as when transporting troupes I assume you would get into a position to snipe at your opponent's vehicle's rear armour. I seem to find that as my priority is transporting a fusion gun just doesn't have the range and at BS3 just doesn't hit often enough. So I would advise you to go for a shuriken cannon as your going to be shooting at rear armour and with 3 shots you should hit. Anyway I think that's about it so I'll stop writing now - few :o
Fear not the death brothers, for she is old and slow, and will never catch the wildrider host

Translator's note: Saim-Hann is pronounced Sam Hine (not Same Han)
Inquisitor's Note: Translators should learn more respect for their masters.