News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Max Von Sydow  (Read 1007 times)

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
Max Von Sydow
« on: March 10, 2020, 05:39:00 PM »
I meant to post this yesterday, but I got sidetracked.  Amidst all the other 'news', Max Von Sydow died yesterday.  I will always remember him as Ming the Merciless, but he had so many other roles and was a fantastic actor both on screen, and he also voiced Esbern in Skyrim.  He was also the last of the actors who played the leading villains in Flash Gordon still standing (Peter Wyngarde died in 2018 and Mariangela Melato in 2013).  A very sad loss.

The BBC tribute is rather fitting, I think: Max Von Sydow: The Exorcist and The Seventh Seal actor dies aged 90 - BBC News
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
Re: Max Von Sydow
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2020, 09:49:25 PM »
Saw that on the plane back. He was in so many movies and in everyone he commanded them by emoting. Ming and Judge Fargo. We're at a loss once again.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2020, 09:58:49 PM »
I feel like I should have seen more of his movies, but I've always been to frightened to watch the exorcist all the way through! A true loss for cinematography after seeing all the work he's done. Even Esbern in Skyrim, which I definitely still remember him from. Rest-In-Peace, sir.
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2020, 10:09:30 PM »
I feel like I should have seen more of his movies, but I've always been to frightened to watch the exorcist all the way through! A true loss for cinematography after seeing all the work he's done. Even Esbern in Skyrim, which I definitely still remember him from. Rest-In-Peace, sir.
Even his lesser roles were fantastic.

Like Irisado said... Judge Dredd, Minority Report... Hell, even Star Wars!
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2020, 12:06:43 PM »
Ah, I knew I recognized him from some of these other roles.

He shall be missed.
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2020, 05:25:05 PM »
As a proper tribute, here is the opening from Flash Gordon: Flash Gordon Opening Credits - YouTube.  I actually use this in one of my lectures every year.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2020, 08:13:17 PM »
People mentioned Esbern, which is arguably one of his less significant, but quite famous, roles, and it made me think of this great teaser trailer from 10 years ago which got me so stoked I'm not sure I've been since.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Teaser Trailer (HD 720p) - YouTube

One of the best Swedes around.

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2020, 08:09:15 AM »
I had never previously watched that trailer.  The actual on screen action is nothing to write home about at all, but the narration is.  Max Von Sydow was an outstanding voice actor.

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2020, 08:36:56 AM »
I had never previously watched that trailer.  The actual on screen action is nothing to write home about at all, but the narration is.  Max Von Sydow was an outstanding voice actor.
Some actors just have such great voices.  Like how Morgan Freeman is always joked about having the perfect narrator voice.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...