News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Tyranid hunting...  (Read 3045 times)

Offline The Reborn

• I'm being out-gunned by a darn Carnifex....
  • Armies: Eldar, Harlequins.
Tyranid hunting...
« on: January 31, 2018, 10:56:10 AM »
Hi guys,

I have a few Harlies that I haven't used for a little while.  When I've taken them in 7th ed against my mate's Nids, they've been killed pretty quickly, and though I love them to bits, they've been gathering dust for a while now.

This is what I have:

12 players, 2 Troupmasters, Solitaire, Shadowseer and Death Jester.  I also have 2 starweaver transports.

Any ideas please how I can make this collection of minis into a mean multi-coloured Nid-Killing wave of awesomeness?

Cheers for your help, Reborn. :)

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Re: Tyranid hunting...
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 11:33:31 AM »
What sort of list is your opponent running?

What are the Harlequins armed with?

There is not a whole lot of choice in what you have, if anything the death jesters are pretty terrible and not worth running. But, they could have a good sacrificial role.

I find that Tyranids try to hit you with t1 charges by Deep striking units on you. Deploying in a corner and sticking the death jester in front to make an additional 9" buffer zone can be helpful.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline The Reborn

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 11:56:53 AM »
Hi Killersquid :)

My opponent chantes his lists, but units which are pretty constant are mutiple gunfexes, large gaunt broods, some of which pop out of nid-pods...mutiple Exocrines, and tunnelling monsters with genestealers.
With the new codex, it seems like he outguns me...

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 12:31:34 PM »
Everyone out guns Harlequins. They are really bad at shooting lol. They are super elite, and you have to attack first. If you don't charge, you're dead.

The deepstrike units you can mitigate, by throwing a sacrificial unit in front of your lines.  The chapter approved strategems can help too.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline The Reborn

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 01:49:43 PM »
Hi :)

No, I meant he outguns my Eldar, sorry. Lol.
Obviously I only have a few clowns and want to try to use them as a sort of assault strike team. With this in mind, how would you equip them please?

• Ancient
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 01:58:46 PM »
In my opinion there are two ways to equipe them.

1) with caress and kisses and murder in melee (kisses help against multiple wound models)

2)3-4 fusion pistols and stay in the starweavers and drive by folks.

It's too expensive to do both.

As you want a counter assault crew, I'd run two five man squads in starweavers with a troupe master, all equiped with caresses and a free kisses thrown in.

Solitaire bounces on foot, and the death jester and shadowseer are not needed.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline The Reborn

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 02:43:42 PM »
Killersquid, that's awesome, thanks so much. Now I'm torn cos I have TWO solutions. :)

Cheers for your help.
Reborn.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2018, 02:50:03 PM »
Make the exocrines move, so deploy a full unit of reapers just out of range, just in case they seize.

Prepare for the deep strike, Farseer+reapers+Forwarned = dead or gravely wounded DS unit. Have a screening unit ready to absorb the DS charge just in case.

A concealseer is also nice to drop on to the reapers, minus 2 to hit will mean you only have to seriously wound the exocrines instead of out right killing them.

Basically castle up, only give him the ability to hit the things you want him to, and account for consolidation when deploying.

Harlies with a Troupe Master are fantastic in close combat, screw the fusion pistol, you've got CWE to bring in the high Strength weapons, save the points and use the harlies as counter assault units, you know your going to get charged from DS anyway. Just be sure to focus on a single unit, morale generally isn't an issue for a well built Nid list.

Part of me thinks you might be better off running them as Ynnari, you want reapers to be raining down as much as possible and triggering extra fighting for Harlies is also a nice option.