News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Preliminary Lists (1000, 1250, 1500)  (Read 2609 times)

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Preliminary Lists (1000, 1250, 1500)
« on: October 24, 2016, 11:00:42 AM »
Okay, so here is what I've got so far. Lemme know what you think:

Realspace Raiders Detachment

(was thinking of just going CAD, but the extra Fast Attack may be handy, and ObSec seems mostly pointless for such tiny troops)

Archon w/Agonizer, Shadowfield, Haywires (Warlord)
3 Grotesques
--in Raider, Dark Lance, Night Shields
Not convinced on the Night Shields, but they seem handy

5 Kabalites w/Blaster
--in Venom w/2x Splinter Cannons
5 Kabalites w/Blaster
--in Venom w/ 2x Splinter Cannons
Your basic troops--anti-horde, harassment, etc.

6 Reavers w/ 2x Blasters, 2x Cluster Caltrops
6 Reavers w/ 2x Blasters, 2x Cluster Caltrops
Nice assault troops, good antitank--what's not to like? Considering taking them as 4 groups of 3 instead to go full MSU, but then I'm concerned they'll lack punch.

Ravager w/3x Dark Lance, Night Shields
Long range fire-support, transport popper, etc.

Total: 983 points
I've got 17 more points to spend in there somewhere. No idea where. Could buy another bike, I guess.

For 1250, Add:

5 Scourges w/4 x Haywire Blasters
You can never have enough anti-tank...

Ravager w/ 3x Disintegrators, Night Shields
Have bad experiences getting Marines to fail saves, soooo...

For 1500, Add:

5 Kabalites w/Blaster
--in Venom w/2x Splinter Cannons
Upgrade the troops department

Razorwing Fighter w/Disintegrators and standard missles
Upgrading the anti-infantry, anti-TEQ capabilities

Thoughts? Any idea what to do with about 15 extra points? Should I get Dark Lances on the Razorwing, or forget it? Night Shields, yay or nay?

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Re: Preliminary Lists (1000, 1250, 1500)
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 01:10:11 PM »
Hey Wydrr, yeah VERY nice approach with these lists. I really wouldn't change anything. I really like the Real Space Raider detachment and you've got a great spread of units that should do well in casual or competitive. The value of Night Shields has always been hotly debated, but I personally like them. Wish I could still get the equivalent for my Serpents.

You can experiment with breaking up the Reavers into 4x3 with a single blaster, single cluster caltrop too. I've seen Lawrence run them both ways and shred people with both variations. It can be easier to hide them out of LOS, divide your opponents fire etc.

I also like the addition of Ravagers as you went up and saving the Razorwing for last (with disintegrators is the way to go IMO). The Ravager with Disintegrators is interesting... I know some people who really like them (especially dealing with battle company) but others swear by cramming as much dark light into your army as possible. That one is a bit up in the air. If you like it, I'd rock it. I've found its always best to tailor to your needs, instead of holding to the consensus.

Anyway I think this is a great approach and should be fun to model, paint and especially play. All good choices and I like the way it scales. 
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 01:36:48 PM »
Thanks!

The last game I played against DE (early 6th Edition) featured a Dissie-only Ravager that put some mean, mean dents in my Marines. Given that it's actually cheaper these days, I may give it a try.

Or I might spend the points I've got hanging around and just upgrade it to DLs. A lot of it depends on metagame. My typical opponents are Orks, Eldar, and CSMs these days, so what they decide to take will dictate later purchases.

I figure me building this army is a ways out (I've got a Khornate Daemon force to upgrade, a Tzeentchian Chariot to paint, a Vostroyan IG force to expand, etc.), but I've always dug the DE and I'd love to get a force together soon. Perhaps by next year it will hit the table, depending. 

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 02:15:29 PM »
Wow sounds like some awesome projects you've got slated. Lucky!

Yeah DE are a great army. Super fun and easy to paint as you primarily work with only about 3 main colors. Give your typical range of opponents; Marines, Orks and Eldar will make for a great variety of games that'll bring out all the strengths of the army (maneuverability, combat and shooting).

Anyway if you do embark on the journey, make sure to keep us posted. I'll be fascinated to see how the whole journey goes! Good luck with your other projects until then!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/