News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Necron Walker  (Read 5098 times)

Offline SeerBrun

• Illustrator
    • Immortal Enemies
Necron Walker
« on: May 14, 2011, 11:31:34 PM »
Presently not looking to model this but the collision of the realization that the Necrons one of the most quintessential 40k armies ever created has not received a codex in a decade last night and the arrival of photoshop 5.1 in the mail this morning leads me to some practice, and something I would probably add to the line-up if I had any say in it...

...which I don't.

Enjoy!

Digital start to finish. I know I have not spoken highly of Photoshop in previous editions as a digital painting program, but it is getting better. About an hour or two into this. I would appreciate comments regarding the walker and whatever else.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 11:34:00 PM by SeerBrun »

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
Re: Necron Walker
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 10:55:30 AM »
Wow, that's quite amazing, good work on the lighting and mood. :)

I've got a few peeves though; there's the upside-down skull which holds the gauss cannon (or whatever weapon it is), that looks a bit weird. And then there's the open cables and servos which makes them seem apart from the main Necrons aesthetics.

Offline tryanotherone - smurfernating

• SPAMMER: I swear I am not an ad-bot!
  • Pray hard - life is short!
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 11:38:55 AM »
That is really good work and catches the necron feel quite well.

Don't let GW see this pic.

They will steal your idea for a new mini. ;D
Taking a very long break.

The Rumour Mill - bending the fabric of time and space

Remember Brimstone - legends live forever

Offline SeerBrun

• Illustrator
    • Immortal Enemies
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 10:58:55 PM »
Wow, that's quite amazing, good work on the lighting and mood. :)

I've got a few peeves though; there's the upside-down skull which holds the gauss cannon (or whatever weapon it is), that looks a bit weird. And then there's the open cables and servos which makes them seem apart from the main Necrons aesthetics.

Thanks. I was kind of going for weird or unsettling. You have to ask why would you do that, and then there's no good answer.

Regarding the aesthetic, I kind of see what you're saying. There's a very different look/feel between the Necrons in illustrations and the ones on the table. The models are pretty clean, and they're usually painted up very shiny. The ones you see in the book look much more like creatures of horror, sketchy death robots stalking the earth like a mob of death-ray armed cyber-zombies. They have a patina, a gritty feeling, and lots of bits and wires and random stuff sticking out of them. I think the logical conclusions are that either the artist took some liberty and the images were published with that look anyway or the models had to be simplified because all that microscopic detail wasn't feasible and all the extra wires would have ruined a multi-part, poseable plastic miniature.

That is really good work and catches the necron feel quite well.

Don't let GW see this pic.

They will steal your idea for a new mini. ;D

I don't have a big problem with that. I'd rather get paid for it, but all in all, I think I could categorize it as 'giving back' if they took something from me once or twice... (though I'd prefer it was my grey ghosts)

Offline argos5

• Stuff
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 11:53:59 PM »
I actually admire the translation of the upside-down head spider thingy. When I saw this in Doom 3, it freaked me out.
As seen here by Penny Arcade:
http://www.penny-arcade.com/spider.jpg

Now the thing about Necrons is that although they are horror based in terms of walking skeletons, they aren't horrifying like Chaos. Necrons are cold, correct, and have a severe relationship with life-forms. Chaos on the other hand, deals with perversion of all life and symbolism.

However, for the sake of originality and concept design... I applaud this rendition!

Offline xrayman

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 06:58:30 PM »
Well done, sir!

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 11:19:09 PM »
[gmod]Your appreciation is noted, however, this thread is over a year and a half past its best by date. Just say no to digging up the dead.[/gmod]
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.