News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Why Do You Write?  (Read 17959 times)

Offline Swan or Goose?

• The bird found its beak too sharp for that.
Re: Why Do You Write?
« Reply #20 on: May 8, 2006, 06:57:05 PM »
I also find a lot of what is said in such books as the Bible to be fundamentally flawed, while other things said are right on the money. The rational part of me can not believe in God, but regardless I feel there is something out there that I do not know, perhaps it is some form of 'God', but I have yet to find any religion that satisfactoryly (sp?) explains a God or justifies any of their beliefs.

In short, there may be a religion out there for me, but I have not found it, and until then, I will continue to follow the late great Douglas Adams .

To reply to Makenshi, though i risk getting chased off the forums.

I find all religions flawed. Religion is a mockery of God. As soon as you start imposing rules on how it should be done you're going down the wrong path (in my most humble opinon). Im a science freak (all sciences at A level, science in Uni etc) but i find there is 'something else' which is convinient for me to call 'God'. Dunno wht it is, dunno how it is but i reckon its there and all religions are, are rough (very rough) interpretations of the one same thing with loads of fancy decoration on the edges. So i reckon everyone should believe in their own way and not follow wht other people thought thousands of years ago.

Moving on, back on topic. As i said before, im a science geek so i write to organize my ideas. I have a story in my head or a fluff idea and I have to get it on paper. Apart from that, i love the 40k fluff and love writing my army fluffs based on the 40k universe. This normally follows with me buying an army which remains unpainted but the idea of the army actually taking part in the fluff is such an awesome concept that it has to be done! I will post some of the stuff i have written but its, to put it bluntly, crap. Its easiest to write about things you ahve experience about....and ive never fought a war so my exp is limited. Wont stop me trying tho  ;D.

SwoG
**'The Blitzkopf' 1st and 7th Sturm Mechanized Infantry** - "The problem that cannot be solved with tanks cannot be solved at all."

**Lt Cletus and Cpt Jefferery's 'Clementine Dogs'** -
'Gawd dang Jeffer's u bastard, your rocket sqd hit one of my troops again!'
'It was an unfortunate accident i assure you'

Offline Ukos Sa'cea Rienn

• It's good to be back...
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2006, 06:48:40 AM »
Why Write?

Why NOT write!

I write because I like writing, because it lets me express my imagination in a tangiable form, because I like doing something that others can (hopefully) be affected by, and I write because being told that something you've created entirely or mostly by yourself is well done, or that it made someone truly interested, is a fantastic feeling.

Writing short stories has always been a favourite pass-time of mine, since I was in grade school. True, those stories were not particulariyl good, but they did give me a solid base of writing from which I gained some of the basic skills.

I also read like a mad-person. I have read books of all sorts from libraries, friends, and from collections of my own. It is a good feeling to be able to add to this mass of eternally continued information, and to think that I may live on through my writings, although they will probably never be published like true books.

Another reason I write is to help other people. I don't mind taking an hour or two to read through something someone has written, to try and help them with their revisions, or taking the time to type up an article about how to improve a particular facet of writing, when I can think of something that needs saying.

Finally, I like being able to add something to the game which has occupied me for so long.

That's why I write.

Next time you ask yourselves "Why should I write something..." ask yourselves this instead:

"Why shouldn't I write something!"

-Ukos
« Last Edit: December 7, 2006, 08:22:59 PM by Ukos Sa'cea Rienn »
Congratulations to everyone who took part in the 40kOnline Fiction Contest, and thanks to everyone who voted!

To see the results, visit the Contest Page!

Offline The Canadian Dude

• A swift kick in the nuts $2.00. My face, priceless
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2006, 02:26:05 PM »
I write cause I love to make up stories. Infact I think I love it too much seeing as I am constantly comming up with new stories, plots, characters, and other nick and nacks and always want to change what I wrote. I am currently trying very hard to stay on one story (which I recently posted the first chapter of on this board) but alas, my mind wants to go off and write ten other one.

Ah well. Writings fun, so stay in school kidies  ;D ;)
And I went up there, I said, "Shrink, I want to kill.  I mean, I wanna, I wanna kill.  Kill.  I wanna, I wanna see, I wanna see blood and gore and guts and veins in my teeth.  Eat dead burnt bodies. I mean kill, Kill, KILL, KILL."  And I started jumpin up and down yelling, "KILL, KILL," and he started jumpin up and down with me and we was both jumping up and down yelling, "KILL, KILL."  And the sargent came over, pinned a medal on me, sent me down the hall, said, "You're our boy."

Offline Da Moose

• Everyone Is "Da Moose"-sexual...Everyone
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2006, 05:17:30 PM »
I write to show people what i see in the world. I write a storny about every one of my armies because i want people to see the same thing i see when i look at my models, I want them to see my Chaplains faith, and my Warboss' Pride.

It is also the story telling, I love to write because i can't wait to get to the end, to get my idea on paper as fast as i can just so i can read it.
Da Moose is Loose.

There are no mooses in Japan...Yet

{-^-^-@@-^-^-}        
           (..)-----;   
               ||---||   
              ^^ ^^
*Add Da Moose to your sig and sexy women will have sex in your back yard.*

Offline celestial.dragon

• Incubus to the Supreme Archon of Commorragh
  • Tea & Comfits!
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2006, 06:55:35 PM »
I've chosen to write fluff now and again for personal reasons.

I spend a lot of time converting my armies, and I've even named most of my figures. Because of this I like to give them a bit of personality, and a bit of history.

I have just written one of the only two complete stories that I've made for any fluff I've done. Most of the time I will write down a basic history of my army, and I'll occasionally write a paragraph or two explaining my units.

I really wouldn't even call the two things I've written short stories. They are just things that I need to jot down for my models, so that they are not forgotten.
                                         W/L/D  (as of 3/10/06)
Lia-Isha Exodite World:    0/8/0
Harlequin Troupe:            3/38/0
Tau:                                 0/1/0
Pirate Fleet Isha:            0/0/1
Dark Eldar Kabal:            (Coming soon)
Wych Cult:                     (Coming Soon)

"Feeling lonely and content at the same time,
I believe, is a rare kind of happiness"

Offline AnalButt

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2007, 07:05:30 AM »
Makenshi... dude that is really profound. I think i feel more inclined to write after reading your first post.

Why i write? I write because i come from a fairly violent family (Screaming yelling everyday swearing demeaning comments and sometimes violence)  and i seem to use writing as a vent in order to sheild my rage rather then release it on others around me. When i write i leave this worlds reality and enter my own one. Ive tried to tell some friends its a certain state i enter when i wirte and when i fight some one like fist fight i enter a state like i do writing ive tried to tell some people about it but they completly blow me off and cridisise me and it hurts. So i vent my rage and frustrating by writing. Once i told one friend about it then 1 day i come home and i sit down then about 4 other people of my brothers friend around 16 years old each tell me what happens to me when i go into that state and that really gets to me when someone else tells me how i feel when they have no idea. Everyone in the room was staring me down cridisisiing me. Then after all that i go to my room and wright my self to sleep.

Thats why i write.   
Take some time and take a read of 101st Harbingers

Offline Ginger

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2007, 06:23:34 AM »
to recieve praise  :)

Same. The hard part is getting it first.

Offline Mr.Peanut (Turtleproof)

• Ride Like Lightning, Crash Like Thunder | Infinity Circuit | Pork Sword of Mod-Justice | Took the basket, nuts and lol | Good grief, ye hennie pennies
  • Ancient
  • Turtleposting At The Speed Of SHift
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Sigmarines, Chaos, Demons
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2007, 12:02:49 PM »
If a thread has been dead for a few months and there's nothing earth-moving to add to it, let the dead rest.
You are
What you do
When it counts
     -The Masao
"Getting what you want can be dangerous.

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2007, 12:55:17 PM »
Uh...Peanut...it's a sticky so people can still read/post in it ;).

~MTWC
Quote from: IainC
Because spamming the hotkey for a Deathknight's weapon in WoW is precisely the same as learning to use a sword in real life. That's why when Kendo grandmasters fight, they just stand there shouting keystroke combos at each other.

Offline Wertyork

• Yeah I can do that.
« Reply #29 on: August 7, 2007, 11:16:31 PM »
So far I've only written one story, but I plan to write more because of what a few people said (good things), and also cause it's cool to have something that started as a small idea and see it turn into an entire movie-like thing in your head! Even I like to see where my characters end up.

Offline Camo

• Scribe to Scars
  • Pray they don't take you alive
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2007, 11:02:43 AM »
I write because I enjoy it. I used to write lots of silly little stories when I was very young and have rather recently got back into it.

I have such a buzz after I finish a chapter it's unbelievable, i'm happy for the rest of the day. I write for me, not for the reader. If they like it it's just a nice bonus.

The buzz I got from finishing my novel (non-40k) was like no drug could ever give you, I wondered around in a daze, unbelieving that I had actually done it.

And now i'm writing a 40k novel, and enjoying it just as much.

--Camo
If I had but a thousand men who were crazy enough to want to conquer hell then we would do it - Warmaster Solon

Offline Onanon

• I Killed O'Rum!
  • Greased and good to go.
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2007, 10:58:32 AM »
I write because I am a man who reads dictionaries like poetry.

I'm in love with language and I always have been.
Writing is a way to consumate that love affair, and spray little bits of culture all over the interwebs. I'm passing on ideas I've picked up on through the ether, pass them on to anyone who reads them. I love the fertilisation of ideas, that you can go back to the source and trace an author's inspirations. Things are only getting more and more refined, an ever greater body of human achievement divides and multiplies.

I have no reason to do it, other than I simply must.
I like what you're doing, but none the less... It's pretty freakin' messed up. Which is cool. Great ideas and concepts, but again, pretty freakin' messed up.
Lol.

Offline bluewpc

• Ne Cede Malis
« Reply #32 on: November 3, 2007, 10:35:22 PM »
Hi i'm new to the forum. And as my second post figured this was a good topic to write on.  I started to write in an effort to perfect my grammar (haven't had too much luck there) among other things mostly to impress girls, but that's another story.  These days I write to share my experiences, noble or not, brave or cowardly. Deep down I'd be lying if I said that vanity had nothing to with it, I am human and I have always (I suppose it's in my nature) wanted to be judged against my peers.  Hmmm. I write to tell the other guy's story.  I write for the men and women (in my own amateurish way) who are either too humble or too ashamed to put down their stories, myself included.
War. War is your trade is it not?

And it ain't yours?

Mine too. Very much so.

Offline ALshroth

• Autoarch of Althan
    • My WIP website
« Reply #33 on: November 4, 2007, 04:00:57 AM »
I have all theses thoughts filling up my head and as I can't download them I need to write them down.
Also to prove that at 27 I'm much better at English then when i took my exam in 1996
When the Biel-tan fled there home worlds they left behind many living people on many worlds, however unknown to them a world survived unharmed and unchanged there name was forever changed to Althan.
My Home - www.ajb2k3.co.uk 2008.

Offline ChIlliFlaMeR

• Spammer: Forum Blathermouth | |3a|\|z0r3])
  • Oh, I spammed too much, and got BANNED
« Reply #34 on: December 9, 2007, 01:18:56 AM »
Why do i right.for the further discoveries i have yet to unlock./for the human mind is a complicated thing,and i wish to know the potential i hold in my mind and writng and creating...that is why i write.
-aaargh
« Last Edit: December 9, 2007, 01:22:05 AM by chilliflamer »
l1573n , 1m n07 4 b4d p3rson 0r an rather unsavoury chap, what-ho old bean? 50 m0d3r470r5 c4n beslubber off 4nd l34v3 me 410n3 4b0ut 5pamm1ng, 1 w45 1gn0r3nt b4ck th3n g1v3 m3 4 cl34n 51473 4 g0dz 54k3                Warlord Gorsnikskraga       -p.s ZOg 0fF (XXX[:::;:;:;:;>
-Chiliflamer, flaming and spamming.
Now BANNED

Offline Night Lord

« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2007, 07:02:04 PM »
I always feel better when I write. It always amazes me that I can create my own universe and laws. Wait a minute, 40k doesn't let me do either of those things....  :-\  well at least I get to create a few characters and a general plot.

Offline Red Harvest

• RRRRRAAAAGGGGE!!!!!!
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2008, 03:43:18 PM »
I write because it is fun, gives me a sense of satisfaction, and helps me remember my own overcomplicated fluff. I usually write from multiple perspectives such as in "The Lord of Hatred"(part one is now on the forums) so everyone can try to enjoy it.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2008, 09:38:48 PM »
Lol, I know this is a bit late, but oh well...
I write cause its fun for me, I love creating characters, worlds, and all that.

I only really started writing in the eighth grade(story-wise,people :P), about four years when I was bored in class to pass the time away. Somehow my friends end up reading it in the next class and they said it was good, and that I should keep going...and I did.

It was epic fail at the time, but over the years, reading books, advancing in english class, and reading alot of 40k, I expanded my vocabulary, discovered what a good plot is/is not, creating awesome characters with a real sense of emotion, all that. Got better in general to the point where I am today(Super special awesome I would think,lol 8) :P). Now I'm writing with confidence and not afraid to put my stories out there(most). So yeah...to all ye lurkers who...lurk, round the boards with stories of there own(may have heard that somewhere...), join and post!

Remember: A deep-strike of a thousand miles begins with a teleport of a single step.:P
        -40k styled chinese saying...I think ;D)

Offline Shaviv

• Mad Science Project of the Week, and musings
« Reply #38 on: August 2, 2008, 11:01:16 PM »
I think I write because I am an egotist. I have ideas, and then I feel it is important for those ideas to be more than just... fleeting sparks in my brain. I had one, derived from a dream, that I forgot this morning, and it made me sad. That's just the way I think about ideas.

Writing is striving against entropy. Brain-storms are gone in an instant, and people in a few decades. Words written down can last much longer.

(The Tau may or may not like writing for related reasons.)
Festering Socks and Unwashed Hair: A Guardsman's Memoir, by Gunner Ferik Jurgen, IG (ret.). Available at your local scriptorium - buy it today!

Looking for players' groups in central NJ. Drop me a line? :3

Offline thegoodfish

« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2008, 06:17:30 AM »
Hi,

I'm a noob to all this and this is my first post. I write because I have a similar problem to Mel Gibson. This is a quote from 2007 - "I just have a lot of creative energy, and if it doesn't eke out somewhere, it forms some kind of disorder. It's going to be this chaotic ping-pong ball that flies around until you challenge it and it ekes itself out in art."

I can get into a downward spiral as well if I don't do something creative daily. I haven't blamed the jews for the world's problems though, or called anyone "sugartits".

I got into the 40K world by playing the Dawn of War games and I've fallen for it hard. I'm reading the Gaunt's Ghosts series at the moment and have just started a short-story.

Cheers!