News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: USF Farseers: Thoughts and questions for you on my first USF battle.  (Read 219 times)

Offline GorthraxtheBeast

I just played my first Ulthwe Strike Force game and thought I would give a battle report and then give my first impressions of USF.  This is fairly long, so if you can’t read it all, please skip to the bottom and give feedback on a couple of questions.  Thanks!

Mission:  Alpha level Cleanse
Opponent:  Blood Angels

Army Summaries:
USF:
On the table:
Seer Council with 2 Farseers (2x Fortune, 2x Witchblades), 6 Warlocks (4x Augment, Embolden, Enhance, 6x CCW/Shuriken Pistol, Wraithgate)

9 Defender Guardians, Warlock with Wraithgate/Embolden

D-Cannon
D-Cannon

Vyper with Starcannon, CTM
Vyper with Starcannon, CTM

In Reserve:
Spear of Khaine: Avatar, 2x Warlock (Destructor, Withblade)
19 Defender Guardians, Warlock with Embolden
5 Storm Guardians with Haywire grenades
11 Storm Guardians (2 Flamers), Warlock with Enhance
9 Storm Guardians (2 Flamers), Warlock with Enhance/Waystone
9 Howling Banshees, Exarch with Executioner
2x Warwalker (2x Starcannons)

Blood Angels (rough list):
Chaplain and Death Company (Jump Packs)
Force Commander, Power weapon/Jump Pack
2x 9 Tac marines, (Lascannon, Plasma Gun)
2x 6 Tac marines, (Heavy Bolter, Plasma Gun)
6 Scouts ( Missle Launcher, 5 Snipers, Vet. Sgt.)
Baal Predator (H. Bolter sponsons)
3x 8 Assault Jump Packs (5 BP, Flamer, Plasma Pistol, Vet. Sgt. W/ Power Weapon)

My plan:
Deploy each WG in turn 2 near the back edge of where my deployment quarter touches each of the neutral board quarters.  By staying deep, this would hopefully keep my army out of assault until turn 3 when my Reserves arrive and also set me up to hold or dispute three board quarters (ignoring the Blood Angels’ deployment quarter).

Overview of game:

USF had the first turn.

Things went fairly closely to plan as I deployed both WGs in turn 2 with one on my right board quarter edge and one in the middle of my board quarter.  Early in the game I softened up the closest Death Company and Assault squads as the BA advanced.

My Reserves arrived on turn 3.  I really wanted to try out the Warwalkers, but they didn’t come in yet.  The good news was that I was able to destroy two Assault squads upon arrival, one which included the BA Force Commander.  The bad news was that my right WG was too far away and therefore my large Defender squad was out of range for shooting. 

My Banshees were quickly killed in turn 3 and the remaining four Death Company and Chaplain went on to slaughter and break my large Defender squad and then consolidate into my WG Defender squad. 

In turn 4 My Seer Council headed straight into danger and into the BA board quarter as they charged and destroyed the Baal.  I was still waiting for those shooty Warwalkers to show up!  Many precious Eldar were slaughtered by the rampaging DC and Chaplain.  (I think they accounted for about 30 dead Guardians!-Ouch!!!)

In turn 6 my Warwalkers FINALLY decided to show up and they finished off a squad that could contest a board quarter. ;D  By this time, the rest of the USF had killed three assault squads, the Baal, and dropped a couple of Tac squads to below 50%.  My Storm Guardians and Vypers raced to either neutral board quarter.

End of Game:
I was able to hold two board quarters and contest one which gave the USF the victory.  I ended better than I thought since in about turn 4 my Guardians were getting slaughtered in droves.  :'(

Thoughts on my first USF game:
I definitely liked having two WG squads.  This allowed my army to deploy in two areas of the board and therefore use Reserves more effectively and it also gave me a backup WG just in case I needed it.

My biggest problem was deploying the WG in the best location.  I struggled with getting close enough to the enemy with the WGs so that my Reserves could come out and assault or shoot well with needing to stay back far enough so that I didn’t get assaulted prior to my Reserves coming in.  With lots of jump pack Assault troops around, this was a little tough.

I also found myself really wanting some medium range guns coming out of the WG since some of my squads were out of range.

Questions:

1) How do you get your WGs close enough to the enemy for good Reserve deployment, but stay out of assault?  My biggest concern here is not getting assaulted (especially since the Seer Council is so hardy), but getting the WG surrounded by the enemy and therefore not being able to deploy my Reserves because they can’t exit the WG without getting within 1” of an enemy model.

2) Do you find yourself using very many mid-range guns coming out of the WG or do the Shuriken Catapults and Assault squads have good enough range for you?

3) Do you ever have Vypers coming out of the WG to add some real range and shooting to the Reserves, or do you think that is a waste since the WG effectively adds movement to your units anyhow?

Thanks a lot!

Gorthrax the Beast

Offline Mr.Peanut (Turtleproof)

• Ride Like Lightning, Crash Like Thunder | Infinity Circuit | Pork Sword of Mod-Justice | Took the basket, nuts and lol | Good grief, ye hennie pennies
  • Ancient
  • Turtleposting At The Speed Of SHift
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Sigmarines, Chaos, Demons
Re: USF Farseers: Thoughts and questions for you on my first USF battle.
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2005, 10:28:06 AM »
I wouldn't worry about the squad carrying the Wraithgate being assaulted as long as it has put the Gate down.  If you're worried about the Gate, try placing it beind the squad that's carrying it.  As the squad gets chewed up, a space will open up behind them, allowing reserves to deploy next turn. 

If you still want them out of combat, try placing the Gate at the edge of area terrain, so that an opposint squad will have to travel through it to get to the gate, but you can use the 6" deployment move out of the Gate to bring, say, Warwalkers into LoS of the enemy.  I don't recall trying this or not, but it's theortically sound.

Both shooting units and assault units coming out of the Gate are effective, but I prefer shooting units.  With Assault units, coming out of the Gate piece-meal can be very hazardous to a Storm Guardian's health.  While a big squad can still make a dent in the enemy, they will be destroyed if support does not arrive soon.  I find that the awesome mid-ranged firepower of large Guardian squads- with or without a platform- as well as Warwalkers with twin Starcannnons or Scatterlasers is much easier to use. 

Whereas close combat requires numerical superiority, there's instant gratification to be found in leaving smoking holes in a half dozen enemies moments after a squad emerges from the Gate.

I've considered having Vypers come out of the Wraithgate, but it never makes sense to me.  The more fragile Warwalkers are what you want coming out of the Gate.  The Gate hides them from harm, allowing them to burst onto the table on a later turn and unleash their full firepower on the squad of their choice.  The mobility of the Vypers, and their ability to hide if they have CTM, means that they should be on the table at the beginning of the game, as they can add shots with some impunity every turn.

Well played, by the way.  It sounds like you went up against the absolute optimal Blood Angels army of 4th Edition.  Multiple Assault Squasd and those Baal Predators are scary.
You are
What you do
When it counts
     -The Masao
"Getting what you want can be dangerous.

Offline GorthraxtheBeast

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2005, 02:23:09 PM »
I wouldn't worry about the squad carrying the Wraithgate being assaulted as long as it has put the Gate down.  If you're worried about the Gate, try placing it beind the squad that's carrying it.  As the squad gets chewed up, a space will open up behind them, allowing reserves to deploy next turn. 

If you still want them out of combat, try placing the Gate at the edge of area terrain, so that an opposint squad will have to travel through it to get to the gate, but you can use the 6" deployment move out of the Gate to bring, say, Warwalkers into LoS of the enemy.  I don't recall trying this or not, but it's theortically sound.

***These are both good ideas.  I did use the last Seer Council member to carry the WG, hoping that if I did get assaulted before I opened it, the enemy wouldn't be able to surround it effectively.  I didn't think of the Area Terrain bit, but it sounds good to me.***

Both shooting units and assault units coming out of the Gate are effective, but I prefer shooting units.  With Assault units, coming out of the Gate piece-meal can be very hazardous to a Storm Guardian's health.  While a big squad can still make a dent in the enemy, they will be destroyed if support does not arrive soon.  I find that the awesome mid-ranged firepower of large Guardian squads- with or without a platform- as well as Warwalkers with twin Starcannnons or Scatterlasers is much easier to use. 

***I must say, shooting units sound better to me as well.  They should be easier to use, although I'm sure I'll field some close combat units as well.  I'll probably skew my arme to about 55-70% shooty for the next battle.***

I've considered having Vypers come out of the Wraithgate, but it never makes sense to me.  The more fragile Warwalkers are what you want coming out of the Gate.  The Gate hides them from harm, allowing them to burst onto the table on a later turn and unleash their full firepower on the squad of their choice.  The mobility of the Vypers, and their ability to hide if they have CTM, means that they should be on the table at the beginning of the game, as they can add shots with some impunity every turn.

***That was my thinking as well, but in my first game I think I could have put Reserve Vypers to use.  I really like the model, so maybe that is a good excuse to have a couple of spares!! ;D***

***Thanks for the good input!***

Gorthrax the Beast

Offline Bubbatron

« Reply #3 on: April 6, 2005, 07:47:07 PM »
i've had a lot of success wit hVypers coming out of the gate, as your opponent doesn't usually expect you to keep thing s like this in reserve, especially when they have brightlances for some good tank killing ability or even if you do get swamped around the WG a Vyper wit hcrystal targeting matrix and either starcannon or scatter laser can clear some space before more troops come out
Great Googly Moogly !