News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: The Black Storm (Ulthwe 2,000 Points)  (Read 202 times)

Offline Indro Tyr

• Quantity has a quality all its own.
The Black Storm (Ulthwe 2,000 Points)
« on: March 23, 2005, 07:56:30 PM »
I was sitting in study hall today with some time to kill, so I wrote up this 2,000 Point Ulthwe army I'm considering playing, and I want to know how effective you think it would be.  My three main opponents will be Necrons, Khorne Marines, and SMurfs.  This is more of a resilient and defensive list, but I have some mobility in it.  So fire away.

Seer Council - 318 Points
       1 Farseer, Witchblade, Shuriken Pistol, Fortune
       1 Farseer, Witchblade, Shuriken Pistol, Mind War
       1 Farseer, Witchblade, Shuriken Pistol, Mind War
       4 Warlocks, Close Combat Weapons, Shuriken Pistols, Augment
       1 Warlock, Close Combat Weapon, Shuriken Pistol, Enhance
       1 Warlock, Close Combat Weapon, Shuriken Pistol, Embolden

10 Striking Scorpions - 237 Points
       Plasma and Haywire Grenades
       Exarch, Scorpion's Claw, Stealth

7 Warp Spiders - 196 Points
       Exarch, Powerblades, Withdraw

5 Wraithguard - 379 Points
       Warlock, Singing Spear, Enhance
       Wave Serpent, Twin-Linked Missile Launchers, Shuriken Cannon, Spirit Stone

16 Black Guardian Defenders - 225
       Star Cannon Platform
       Warlock, Witchblade, Shuriken Pistol, Conceal

16 Black Storm Guardians - 170
       Warlock, Witchblade, Shuriken Pistol, Enhance

1 Falcon - 205 Points
       Star Cannon
       Shuriken Cannon
       Crystal Targeting Matrix

3 Support Weapon Platforms - 150
       Distort Cannons

1 Wraithlord - 120
       Star Cannon

Total - 2,000 Points

Ok, the Seer Council advances with the Guardian Defenders and Wraithlord, popping heads of enemy characters, heavy weapons troops, and powerfists.  Tries to avoid combat unless their support is immediately needed.  The Guardians lay down the fire at close range, as does the Wraithlord, hopefully between targeting the Wraithlord and the Council the Guardians will be ignored for a little while.

The Striking Scorpions deploy in a forward position and tie up the enemy's flank, while the Storm Guardians Fleet of Foot to meet them and provide reinforcements.  The Warp Spiders also will work in support of the Scorpions, keeping unwanted foes off their backs.

The Wraithguard fly up straight for the Monolith, Land Raider, or other 'Large and in Charge' enemy model.  Hopefully their resilience and Fearless status will let them hold long enough for support to arrive.  If they fail the Scorpions with Haywire Grenades can engage, or in the case of Monstrous Creatures the Seer Council can Mind War them.  The Wave Serpent can then engage other tanks, transports, etc.

Lastly, the D-Cannons and Falcon lay down heavy firepower, the Falcon at a distance, the D-Cannons up closer behind terrain.  I've heard mixed feelings about the D-Cannons, but I think their short-ranged barrages can be instrumental in deterring fast units from disrupting my battle plan.  My army already moves a little slow for an Eldar force, so having them unsupported won't really be a problem.  Against both Necrons and Fearless Berserkers they'll be invaluable.

"The time for using the knife to remove this cancer is past.  Bring forth the torch."

Offline Lokust

Re: The Black Storm (Ulthwe 2,000 Points)
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2005, 09:03:15 PM »
1 Falcon - 205 Points
       Star Cannon
       Shuriken Cannon
       Crystal Targeting Matrix

I don't understand what exactly you're going to do with this falcon.  You have the upgrade for a 2 foot range weapon on it but then have CTM on it like you plan on hiding?  It just doesn't seem like it fits to me.  Falcons are hardcore when they have the holofield/spirit stones combo because they can take a ton of punishment.  I'd suggest those over the CTM any day, and use the tank to spearhead your advance, firing as you move 12".  And uh...try to find something to put inside it :)  I'm a big fan of the 3 template guardian storm squad w/ warlock.  Pretty sweet hit and run unit for very low points. 

I would also consider brightlances on your wave serpent or wraithlord.  It seems really wierd to me to have no brightlances at all in an eldar list. 

D-cannons are a little on the static side for my tastes, but I'm willing to call that a style preference because I have seen them do some impressive damage at times. 

I think everything else looks good.  I think it will be a fun list to play with and against. 

Offline Ulthwe77

• AIM- dead7kennedys7
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2005, 09:08:28 PM »
Sounds good dude. I run a very similar Seer Council in my Ulthwe army and seems 2 never die with fortune and rune armor.(Pisses the hell out of people.)

I stand my council back with my warwalkers most of the time, seems 2 B very effective.

I's not a huge fan of wraithguard, considering they R pricey and 1 shot with 12' range isnt enough 4 me.(Plus they R expensive money wise 2, $50.00 4-5)

Offline Derfderf

• bboydave.deviantart.com
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2005, 10:34:52 PM »
I would suggest switching out the serpent's linked EMLs for linked lances, just because there might be that one vehicle you'll have trouble cracking.  I would also switch out some black defenders for more black storm guardians, since the storm guardians don't have conceal and have to advance to be effective; they'll need the numbers more.  Or switch out the storm squad for a second defender squad and give it a weapon platform.

I've never used 3 D-cannons, but I imagine it'd be a lot of fun.  Kudos for that.

Cheers!