News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Farseers in 4th Edition  (Read 4036 times)

Offline -=Abyss=-

• ~Holding Heaven in your Arms..~
Farseers in 4th Edition
« on: December 18, 2004, 12:19:14 AM »
What do you guys think? to me they are going to be REALLY scarry, since the Libarian already has such evil powers now imagine Chaos Sorcerers AND Farseers  :o
Index Astartes Litanies Verse 1:13: TO ME MY BROTHERS!

Offline Samurai

• Most Honorable Warrior
  • Ancient
Re: Farseers in 4th Edition
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2004, 01:11:21 AM »
What do you guys think? to me they are going to be REALLY scarry, since the Libarian already has such evil powers now imagine Chaos Sorcerers AND Farseers  :o

well, until the new codex comes out, they really don't have any change

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2004, 06:07:34 AM »
They are great the way they are, and I would rather keep them that way than power them back to the pshycic monsters of 2nd ed.

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline Moonsinger

• The Cause of Priapism | Meanie!
  • Ancient
    • KFD-Comics
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2004, 07:46:52 AM »
I am more intrested about those Bonesingers... *wonders what the heck they are... gamewise*
Dwarf Females <3
Priapism is considered a medical emergency, which should receive proper treatment by qualified medical people

Offline Lazarus

• Infinity Circuit - The Voice of Reason
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Space Wolves & Imperial Guard
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2004, 08:52:58 AM »
i agree with rasmus on the farseers. they were monsters in 2nd and also much better in close combat. it would be nice to see more selection of powers though...not super powers just usefull ones.

69Lazarus.
"If someone used the ridiculous cover saves rule on me I'd probably punch him in the face. If he's still standing he would be entitled to punch me in the face, take my army, and my woman if he can. This is known as the Conan rule of play, and is not forbidden in the core rules and encourages serious amounts of sportsmanship." - Carniflex

Offline Seer Fox

• The Cause of Cancer, Chernobyl and Multiple Orgasms
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • No. I'm not keeping the girl.
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2004, 12:45:08 PM »
Personally I want Farseers to be all Farseer-like, but I wouldn't mind Warlocks, or Warlock-leaders have more super kick ass powers. That'd be nice and wouldn't spoil too many things.

But I too wonder what the Bonesingers will actually do...something about wraithbone, no doubt.

Ciat,
Seer Fox
Well I'm not going to quote anything, so...I'll have to hunt down my old sig again.

How bothersome.

Offline Blackavatar

• I *LOVE* EO and 40K.ca
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2004, 01:34:45 PM »

I think the farseer itself is just fine as it is. But more psychik poaers is needed. I also think the Eldritch storm needs improvement.

Offline Eldrad Fashan

• The Arith Dris Craftworld
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2004, 01:36:25 PM »
Id imagine a Bonesinger would be a nother HQ with stats just shy of a Farseer with no/few powers but a better selection of wargear. (dire swords for ex)

I couldnt agree more about Eldritch Storm
Eldar:
Vs SM 10-0-1                Vs Tyranids 2-1           Vs Chaos 5-0
Vs IG  5-1                     Vs Tau 1-1                  Vs GK 3-0
Vs Blood Angles 2-0       Vs Necrons 1-0

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2004, 01:42:33 PM »
Actually if anything the Bonesingers would be less of a fighter than a Farseer.

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline Koonitz

• Ignorance is your greatest enemy
  • Ancient
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2004, 01:43:13 PM »
Actually if anything the Bonesingers would be less of a fighter than a Farseer.

I would assume they'd be the Eldar equivalent to Enginseers.
"I like to think of this lovely place as my home. Now you wouldn't even think about upsetting me in my home, would you? Of course you wouldn't. So do what I say, when I say, and I won't get upset. I do bad things when I'm upset."
-Drill Instructor, MechWarrior 2

"It is not my responsibility to prove you are wrong. It is your responsibility to prove you are right."
-Koonitz

"The next time you decide to stab me in the back, have the guts to do it to my face."
- Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Offline syth773

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2004, 01:49:40 PM »
well the fact that eldar are supposed to be sorta the ultimate psychics but right now the space marine librarian has a really powerful set of stuff at his disposal.  the current powers are ok as they are but a few new ones would really be nice, and maybe one spell that makes the farseer alone really stong like that power of the librarian's which lets him reroll everything.

Offline Lazarus

• Ancient
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2004, 09:21:27 PM »
the farseer powers are already VERY usefull. nothing like throwing guide on your tricked out falcon, blazing away with it and then getting out and mind warring the other guys commander.   :)

69Lazarus.
"If someone used the ridiculous cover saves rule on me I'd probably punch him in the face. If he's still standing he would be entitled to punch me in the face, take my army, and my woman if he can. This is known as the Conan rule of play, and is not forbidden in the core rules and encourages serious amounts of sportsmanship." - Carniflex

Offline Dark Flame

• I messed with the wrong farseers AGAIN, yet somehow became an unactive Mod
  • Ancient
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2004, 10:33:08 PM »
  I would like to see a few more powers, though really, Farseers are fine the way they are.  Maybe see about a five points price drop, but that's about it.

Offline RedTwo

• Conversion Exarch
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2004, 11:25:20 PM »
Personally I want Farseers to be all Farseer-like, but I wouldn't mind Warlocks, or Warlock-leaders have more super kick ass powers. That'd be nice and wouldn't spoil too many things.

But I too wonder what the Bonesingers will actually do...something about wraithbone, no doubt.

Ciat,
Seer Fox

I'm inclined to agree with Seer Fox and others making similar comments.  I like the Farseer in a support role.  Other armies have the uber-combat HQ's, be they SM Force Commanders, Dark Eldar Archons, or Necron Lords, and the Eldar HQ taking a support role to improve the other units around them makes our army different, and in my opinion more interesting.  I would even go so far as to say that Mind War and Eldritch Storm should be Warlock powers while Conceal and Embolden get transfered to the Farseer (of course the powers would have to be re-written slightly and points adjusted).  We still have the Avatar of the Bloody Handed God if you want something scary at the top of your FOC.

I don't want a return to 2nd edition, but I would like to see more of a distinction between Warlocks and Farseers.  They really are very different paths of the Witch Path just as Howling Banshees and Dark Reapers are very different paths of the Warrior Path.  However, all of that fluff got dumped for the 3rd edition book and quite frankly I think it SUX!  I really like the Warlocks and it would be nice to see them get some of their character and individuality back.  I'd like to be able to take a Warlock HQ with a nice set of wargear.  Perhaps some Runes of Battle for combat bonuses and a meaner version of the Witchblade (with an appropriate points increase of course).  It's just a thought.

I'm still not convinced about putting Bone Singers on the battlefield  :-\  Something about that just doesn't seem right to me.  I know there is a long standing tradition in human warfare for Batlefield Engineers of one capacity or another... but for some reason it just doesn't seem very "Eldar" to me.  Perhaps if they served a function like Iyanden Spirit Seers rather than "battlefield engineers" it wouldn't bother me.  Whatever... for some inexplicable reason the GW Games Development team has failed to consult with me on the matter, and they seem intent to do this with out my council.  So be it.  Just because they decide to put them in the codex doesn't mean I have to put them in my army... Unless of course they are a required unit like the Seer council in the Ulthwe list  :P  I guess I'll take a look at the rules for them before I decide I don't want them  ;)
Over specialization builds in weakness.

Offline Grey Mage

• Champion of Shinning Spears. Remember them well.
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2004, 03:30:11 AM »
*shrug* Id like to option to have a kickarse warlock master with some damaging combat oriented powers, and keep the farseer in a support role with MORE OPTIONs. Thats always been my worst complaint... 4 powers... now with the space marines having 6 it seems pathetic... Id also like to see some power weaponage for my 15 points on the blade eh? Thats not much to ask for...
And if its done right youd need the Farseer to get the Warlock master, so its not like hed be usurped or anything.
-Is he insane or a genuis?

-Who cares? it worked.

If you do it right, no one will notice you doing anything at all.

The secret to destruction is simple- everything that is made can be unmade.

Want it simpler?-everything burns.

EO History: 6/0/5

Offline Lazarus

• Ancient
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2004, 07:53:45 AM »
i like redtwo's idea about switching some of the powers between the warlock and seer. i view the warlock to be much more of a warrior mage then they are now. (more offensive)
bonesingers will probably get to try and repair vehicles and such...perhaps restore a wound to a wraithlord?   i dont see them in any kind of combat role. if the fig looks coll we will all buy it anyhow even if to convert and use as something else.

69Lazarus.

Offline Ranger Astheria

• Formerly 'Ranger of Alaitoc'
  • Ancient
  • Holding onto a thread of hope...
    • Realm of Runes
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2004, 03:33:01 PM »
I think the powers for both Warlocks and Farseers are just right as they are, upping the Strength on Eldritch Storm by another point, and adding a few more powers (say... two for the Farseer and one for the Warlock) that are on the same power level as the current ones would be plenty.  As for the Bonesingers, I too agree that they shouldn't really be on the battlefield... but I'm sure they will interact with your Vehicles, Wraithlords, and Wraithguard, they'll likely have an ability that improves their efficiency or defense or something.

Click my banner to visit Realm of Runes for all your WFB needs!

Offline Lorizael

• GW Shill: Infinity Circuit: Synergistic Spotter of Numpties
  • Ancient
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2004, 03:50:13 PM »
Having missed 3rd edition I was quite miffed when I realised Farseers weren't anywhere near as hard in 4th as they were in 2nd. I didn't notice til I charged a Necron Lord with my Farseer either...
But I'm happy for them to e supporting seers. As long as Warlocks get an upgrade.
Warlocks are trained Aspect warriors who have chosen the seer path. They should be hard as nails in combat. I'd like some extra attacks please! Would be good if they could lead other squads as well as Guardians. Fluff-wise they keep their armour in their old aspect shrines so it would make sense that they should lead aspect squads too.

Offline TheMightyPikachu

• Pi-Ka-Chu!
  • Ancient
  • The Mightiest
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2004, 05:31:32 PM »

Warlocks are trained Aspect warriors who have chosen the seer path. They should be hard as nails in combat. I'd like some extra attacks please!

I agree. I'd like the Farseer and Warlock to actually turn into two seperate paths actually (fluff wise). Instead of being trainee Farseers, warlocks ought to just be battle psykers (similiar to the Librarian, but more versatile) while the Farseer stays the role of general/wizard/wise man/support-leader psyker)

The farseer is an old man/woman, not a combat brute. That ought to be left to the younger, more vigorous Warlocks.

like... i5 ld 9 a2 for the basic warlock
ws5 bs5 i6 w2 a2 for an HQ type.

This is taking a new look at the Eldar psykers though, so it requires re-writing of fluff (again)

www.andylc.deviantart.com
did you know I can draw?

Offline The Canadian Dude

• A swift kick in the nuts $2.00. My face, priceless
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2004, 05:49:20 PM »
I personally think that the warlocks could use some offensive spell and the farseer could just use some more spells to. Eldar are supposed to be the but kicking physcers of the 41st mellenia. But the stupid mon-keih (space marines) have more of a selection for there lybrarian than we do. *sniff*

I'd also like to see a completly new physcic unit. Not an HQ but like an elite or something. Some squad of like 3-5 phsycers running around the field, kicking but and taking numbers. These way we get a completly new unit with no fluff rewright. ;D (allthough we would need to come up with a reason for the sudden apperience of these crazy phsycers)
And I went up there, I said, "Shrink, I want to kill.  I mean, I wanna, I wanna kill.  Kill.  I wanna, I wanna see, I wanna see blood and gore and guts and veins in my teeth.  Eat dead burnt bodies. I mean kill, Kill, KILL, KILL."  And I started jumpin up and down yelling, "KILL, KILL," and he started jumpin up and down with me and we was both jumping up and down yelling, "KILL, KILL."  And the sargent came over, pinned a medal on me, sent me down the hall, said, "You're our boy."