News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Mobile Ulthwe assault army!!!  (Read 2307 times)

Offline stigma78

• And They Shall Know No Armour Save
Mobile Ulthwe assault army!!!
« on: January 28, 2002, 06:24:45 PM »
 I'm thinking about trying out a highly mobile Ulthwe assault army (for some variety against my usual foot-based Ulthwe army, and just for plain fun!!!).
I know this army may seem a bit unfluffy and maybe rather cheesy (especially the council!!!). But hey, I'm mainly trying to do something new with Ulthwe. For a larger army i'd probably add a few more guardian squads in wave serpents plus some vypers w/ star cannons or bright lances, and maybe jetbikes....?

Well here's the army:

HQ
1 Seer Council:
1 Farseer, Fortune, Witchblade, Pistol, Ghosthelm, Runes of witn.
1 Farseer, Mind war, plus same as above.
1 warlock, enhance, witchblade, pistol
1 warlock, embolden, witchblade, pistol
6 warlocks, w/ destructor, witchblade, pistol
+ wave serpent, spirit stones, linked star cannons

Troops:
9 Black storm guardians w/ haywires, 2 flamers
1 warlock, enhance, witchblade, pistol
+ wave serpent, spirit stones, linked star cannons

9 more black stormies as above, warlock as above
+ wave serpent, spirit stones, linked bright lances

Elite:
10 Howling Banshees, incl. Exarch, executioner, acrobatic
+ wave serpent, spirit stones, linked bright lances

Total points cost: 1498

Offline dark_wind

• It's all fun and games until someone loses an arm
Re:Mobile Ulthwe assault army!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2002, 08:51:21 PM »
hmmm...definitely different...i don't think storm guardians are the best thing to spend 110 pts to put in a waveserpent...if you want a mobile force use vypers, jetbikes, etc. keep one waveserpent for the banshees and get large defender squads with heavy weapons..i think the way to get an ulthwe fast army to survive is to have a seer council, two large squads of guardians with h.weapons and warlocks and lots of vypers and or jetbikes
"And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths, and carp and anchovies and orangutans and breakfast cereals and fruit bats and...'skip a bit Brother...'"

-Monty Python and the Holy Grail

PROJECT 86 RULES!!!!!
                      http://project86.com/

Offline PsykerLord

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2002, 11:28:47 PM »
yeah, like dark_wind said get rid of the storm guardians and their wave serpents.  throw in scorpions w/ a wave serpent and even maybe wraithguard in a wave serpent (it fits the "low # aspects theme").  i agree w/ dark_wind again concerning the blocks of defenders.  nice job keeping the council to 10 on purpose btw, but i would make it smaller so you can have points for the other things mentioned.  banshees are good.  yeah, vypers could provide supporting fire too.  hope this helps.
-PsykerLord

Offline Tobab816

• Chaos Warmaster, Promoter of Deathball!
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2002, 06:08:21 PM »
WHY. The Waveserpent is a tank in itself and worth the money(think of it as a Predator who can carry troops).
And you need it to get your stormguardians into battle intact(and to get maximum effect from those flamers.

With enhance the Storm guardians gets WS5 and I5 which makes them Kick ass troops who can beat up anything but spacemarines(perhaps even those, especially with those flamers).

My comment would probally be that you have a bit too many Destructors in that HQ, 3 or 4 is enough.
Drop 2 destructors and drop the witchblades on the embolden and enhance(you don't want them in base to base contact anyway) and buy a Vyper with a starcannon instead.
Deathball, the new game of bloody basketball, 40k style!

+++Excerpt from Last Chaos/Space marine game, commentator: Inquisitor Khalheed "The Purgator" Qhor, Ex-Deathball player+++

Chaos vs Space Marine grudgematch today ended 23-19 when Brother Grazieel decimated the chaos team with a heavy bolter.

Afterwards the Chaos Coach Zhuriel the Damned stated "If we weren't ideologically in favor of cheating we'd complain about this""
+++End of transmission+++

Offline Farseer Lael

• Infinity Circuit
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2002, 08:56:38 PM »
I have to agree. You only really need to deck out half the seer council with a witchblade and a power. The rest are there for fodder mainly.

Plus if you get into HTH all those destructors are going to be wasted.
Lael Treventhius.
Farseer of the Craftworld Treventhius Psychic Warhost.

Offline Wraithboss

• Most Potent of Geezers
  • Back from the dead, and ready to Party!
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2002, 11:13:09 AM »
It's ridiculous to think that your council won't be in HTH at some point, so they need those CC weaps.

I like it like it is.

`Boss!
" Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
                                    T. Roosevelt