News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: FAQ on Eldar Psychic Powers  (Read 1980 times)

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
  • May Hoeth guide our ways...
  • Armies: Eldar (Saim-Hann), Space Wolves
FAQ on Eldar Psychic Powers
« on: August 30, 2018, 01:08:24 PM »
Hey guys, a serious question here...

Up to this moment I was 100% sure that there is some kind of an FAQ that states pretty clearly that for each psychic power from the Runes of Battle discipline we are allowed to use both profiles of a power in a single psychic phase as two separate powers. Now I decided to refresh my memory on that, and all of a sudden I can't find that item anywhere. It's not in the current version of the Craftworlds FAQ on Warhammer Community site, nor do I see it in BRB FAQ or anywhere else.

Can someone please help me? Or am I delusional, and there has never been such answer in any of the FAQs?!
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
Re: FAQ on Eldar Psychic Powers
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 01:33:31 PM »
As far as I know you are allowed to any of the two effect but casting either one of the effects count as using a single power and the effects count as being the same power, so using either effect void your ability to Cast the other side of the power.

As far as I know this as always been the case. Maybe, if you look at the big faq in the spot dedicated to other army you mind find a mention of eldar power in the same breath but that's the best I can think of.
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 03:15:26 PM »
Well, I might be delusional after all...

However, I just remembered one more thing, and this is something I'm 100% sure of. There definitely was some document stating that Hemlock Wraithfighter can only use the debuff part of each of the -Runes of Battle spells, e.g. it can use Jinx but can't use Protect. However, this bit is also not present in the Craftworlds FAQ. Ergo there should be some document that I'm missing...

EDIT
Forget it, I am being dumb. And delusional too, it seems  :D

EDIT 2:
My goodness, it's been quite a while since last time I felt so silly LOL

The bit that I was so desperately trying to find in some FAQ is in fact in the codex itself. The initial paragraph just before the list of Runes of Battle powers in the codex, page 124, clearly states that each of the two effects of each power counts as a separate power, so e.g. a Conclave that knows Conceal/Reveal can manifest both Conseal and Reveal in the same turn.

Now I understand that my initial misconception of this being stated in some FAQ arised from the fact that this statement only appeared as a result of transitioning from the Index to the Codex, which really felt like an army update (which we had too many of in the last year) rather than a full re-release.

Case closed :)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 03:39:19 PM by SeekingOne »
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 04:52:19 PM »
Wait what O-o so you mean to tell me that a conclave can actually manifest both? In the same turn? Conceal and Reveal as 2 separate power... Is it just me or does this rule actually mean it's actually interesting than first though to take a conclave?
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2018, 06:23:26 PM »
If a Conclave is big enough to be able to cast two spells in one turn, then it can cast both sides of the same spell.

However, you could just take several Warlocks instead, and have 2 of them both know Conceal/Reveal, and have one cast Conceal and the other cast Reveal. This is better, because this way you get the Character keyword protection.
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2018, 07:29:37 AM »
Blazinghand is right. It's enough to have just two separate warlocks knowing the same power, say, Protect/Jinx, and one of them would be able to use Protect while the other may attempt Jinx. To do the same thing with a Conclave you'll need the minimum of 4 warlocks in a unit. Conclave would be far more expensive (+70 points compared to 2 individual warlocks) and far more vulnerable.

However, in this case Conclave is not without advantages, which come from stratagems. Firstly, a 4-strong conclave can cast up to 2 powers, and if you put a Farseer beside them and use the "Seer Council" stratagem, the Conclave would get +1 to cast both of its powers, while with two individual warlocks you can only ever get +1 for one of them. Secondly, with another stratagem a Conclave can boost range of its powers to 36". Lastly, Runes of Battle powers do not require LoS - which means that with some strategic positioning a Conclave can safely sit behind a LoS-blocker and debuff enemy units which are 36" away, all the while enjoying +1 to cast and likely staying out of the enemy's denial range.

It's probably not a tournament-winning tactic, but in a friendly game I believe it's quite viable. And it's super-fluffy for Ulthwe! :)