News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 40k Artists?  (Read 864 times)

Offline Kage2020

• Knower of Things
  • Ancient
  • Mar a tha, mar a bha, mar a bhitheas vyth go bragh
40k Artists?
« on: October 1, 2021, 01:55:36 AM »
First, I wasn't entirely sure where to post this and, second, after reading the rules I don't think that it's a problem but... I'm still rough around the edges getting back into things and 40k/GW forums.

The TL;DR version of what I'm after:

• Finding an artist that can draw T-pose (similar to this) representations of Eldar characters.
  • They don't need to be copies of current models. I'm wanting to use these drawings in Blender (etc.) to practice modeling and 3d sculpting for my own purposes (if you're going to do professional development, you might as well make it fun!).
  • I cannot draw, but I can copy--this counts for 3d art, too.
  • These are not for sharing and are purely for private use.
[li]Will still be buying GW minis for my son to do something creative with him (again, might as well make it fun for both of us!).
[/li][/list]

Going into a little bit more depth, while I know that I could just up a gig place like Fiverr.com, I'm wondering if there is a place--or a way of identifying people--that have that in-depth knowledge of the setting and can make these reference images their own (but also to my vision). Again, I don't want copies.

I know that there are places where I can buy 3d models of 40k materials that can be 3d printed. While I might 3d print some the primary focus for me is on the digital sculpting. I was always so impressed by people that could create custom minis back in the day that I thought that I would take this to the digital realm. (Remember, I can copy but I'm not good enough to create.)

Is there somewhere--or someone--that you know of that would be appropriate, or am I just going to drop into fiverr.com and expect to be providing oodles or reference images and the hope that they can do something in the realm of what I'm looking for?

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
Re: 40k Artists?
« Reply #1 on: October 9, 2021, 09:08:00 PM »
I wish I could help, but I have no particular experience in this. Have you considere looking at deviantart or artstation, or perhaps looking up some art tags on instagram?

Offline Kage2020

• Knower of Things
  • Ancient
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2021, 02:08:18 AM »
I'm looking on Fiverr but I hadn't really thought about the other options. Thanks for the ideas, truly.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2021, 05:57:24 PM »
You might find it difficult, GW has been on a rampage against fan made content, including still images and animations. It's not the normal IP protection with simple cease orders, super aggressive and very dirty tactics are being used to shutdown any potential competition for their massively over priced subscription service.

So you have to find an artist that has not signed their NDA, and you'll have to ask for something far more generic like "space elves" rather than "Eldar".

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2021, 06:41:29 PM »
I don't imagine that will be a big issue for a few personal sketches, though I might be wrong.

Offline Kage2020

• Knower of Things
  • Ancient
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2021, 10:24:02 PM »
So you have to find an artist that has not signed their NDA, and you'll have to ask for something far more generic like "space elves" rather than "Eldar".
I've seen this with respect to "publication" or "manufacture" of materials covered by their IP--things like 3d printing (quotation marks for haziness of the application of those terms). Scrolling through the 3d printverse shows terrible name changes for what is all-but direct application.

It seems odd using this as the rubric for line art that could be used for painting designs, e.g. the ones that I've seen for Space Marines.

Heck, if it comes own to it I can always just 3d scan, clean up, and go from there. Then just digitally assemble it for my own virtual modification and personal artwork from there to do things like fix proportions, alter the styling of things like Aspect Warriors etc.

Either way, nay worries. Thanks, all.

Edit: Ignore the comments about scanning. My scanner has issues with anything less than 50mm without having to replace the lens and that's well beyond my level of technical competency. So, finding something close and then doing that 3d modeling seems like the only thing that is going to work and not scare people with legality.

Which is cool.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 11:11:53 PM by Kage2020 »