News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 'Beardy Cheese' An Essay On 40k For My Eng. Coursework  (Read 1561 times)

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
'Beardy Cheese' An Essay On 40k For My Eng. Coursework
« on: January 31, 2005, 05:35:07 PM »
yup, i need more help with Eng. Lang. A/S coursework, this tiem it is 40k tho, and assay on why i play it

im under my minimum words (just over 500 but minimum is 1k) and would like your opinions/suggestiosn on it

'Beardy Cheese'

‘Beardy Cheese?’ I hear you say, ‘What kind of title is Beardy Cheese?’
The answer to which is its actually slang, slang found in a hobby of mine. Strange isn’t it how just working somewhere or playing something can give new meaning to every day words.

‘Beardy’ to us means someone who, by experience, subtly bends the rules or tries to get around them. ‘Cheese’, ‘Dairy’ or anything along those lines means that the person simply abuses and exploits the rules.

The hobby I play is Warhammer 40,000, it was created by a company called Games Workshop, who have created many other games including Warhammer, Blood Bowl and The Lord Of The Rings Strategy game. I’m sure many of you have heard of or seen it but for those who haven’t or simply can’t remember it’s basically collecting, assembling, painting and playing with little plastic men. We build them with glue (and I’ve stuck my fingers together more times than I care to count) and paint them with special paint designed specifically for Games Workshop products.

Now then I’m sure some of you are sitting there with one (or two if you are easily shocked) eyebrow/s raised thinking ‘He collects little plastic men?’ and then breaking down into degenerating laughter.

In all honesty though I do little playing of the game. The reason I enjoy 40k (the short term for Warhammer 40,000, I’m sure you’ll agree its easier on the tongue) is because of the abundance of ‘fluff’. ‘Fluff’ is another one of those clique slang words and phrases that doesn’t mean what you think it does. A little kid pleading to his/her parent/s if they can keep this fwuffy wittle animal as a pet is, at which point you feel like ripping out all your hair after they use their whiney little voice and puppy dog look to get their way, is an example that springs to my mind (I have a young step-niece and nephew and therefore a lot of experience with the above kind of example) . No, it basically means the background/stories and non-essential information to do with the game, for 40k is a table-top strategy game that will make you hate dice for the rest of your lives or make you pray to the famed ‘Dice Gods’ every single day.

40k have an immense amount of history/background/stories (‘fluff’) of the official and unofficial (read: fan fiction) kind, and that is what I love about it. Well, that and the abundance of super-humans, disgusting aliens and space elves.

There are nine ‘races’ in the universe of 40k, here are the names and a brief (read: poor) explanation of each.

The Tau (rhymes with ‘ow’), blue skinned pony-tailed three toed hippies; The Necrons (Neck-Rons), basically soulless robots with attitude (think ‘Terminator’ without the human skin); The Humans, us in about 38,000 years time; The Space Marines, genetically modified 9ft tall super-humans and probably the most common army; The Craftworld Eldar (Ell-Dar), who are, at the risk of being chased by my fellow gamers and burnt for heresy, space elves; The Dark Eldar, basically evil Eldar (if I told you any more I’d have to give this essay an ‘18’ certificate); The Chaos Space Marines, evil space marines with a wide assortment of demons and evil gods to help them; The Tyranids (Tier-‘N-Ids), think a cross between and anthill and the film ‘Alien’ and you wont go far wrong; And finally the Orks, these guys are basically giant fungus with arms, legs and a war-loving personality.
Quote from: IainC
Because spamming the hotkey for a Deathknight's weapon in WoW is precisely the same as learning to use a sword in real life. That's why when Kendo grandmasters fight, they just stand there shouting keystroke combos at each other.

Offline Kitsune Tsuki

• Lazerous Penguin
Re: 'Beardy Cheese' An Essay On 40k For My Eng. Coursework
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2005, 05:59:10 PM »
I assume this is a personal essay? Next I belive space marines are only seven foot. Lastly, you could suck up some words by going to the armies more indepth. But, then again its on beardy/cheese.

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2005, 06:01:50 PM »
I assume this is a personal essay? Next I belive space marines are only seven foot. Lastly, you could suck up some words by going to the armies more indepth. But, then again its on beardy/cheese.

actually its supposed to be general, i just wanted a weird (and therefore eyecatchign) title

im also unsure of some of the facts i said, like the 9ft tall one

not sure what you mean by a personal essay

thanks for your reply ;D
Because spamming the hotkey for a Deathknight's weapon in WoW is precisely the same as learning to use a sword in real life. That's why when Kendo grandmasters fight, they just stand there shouting keystroke combos at each other.

Offline Kitsune Tsuki

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2005, 06:27:17 PM »
Personal essay means it can use I, you, me etc. But ask your treacher cause some teacher hate when people do that when they weren't suppose to(i.e. my teacher., T. CHris)

Offline Flash_hound

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2005, 09:24:21 PM »
You should say Space Marines; Most common army played, called the NEWBIE, or somthing like that.  The way you say it, people will think there the most common army, instead of humans say imperium, etc.  Be more indepth, it can't kill.

Offline Draza

• Ancient
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2005, 09:31:38 PM »
Very good read, but don't you think some of the slang will hurt your marks.

fwuffy wittle animal
You've got a dictionary crying right their

If you can, talk about sisters of battle, but use only the abbreviations SOB to save some words  ;)

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
« Reply #6 on: February 1, 2005, 08:00:49 AM »
Personal essay means it can use I, you, me etc. But ask your treacher cause some teacher hate when people do that when they weren't suppose to(i.e. my teacher., T. CHris)

its writing to inform and we are free to do it anyway we like, if i wanted i could do it seriosuly but i did that with my short story

so yes it is personal as its not impartial, its my opinion

You should say Space Marines; Most common army played, called the NEWBIE, or somthing like that. The way you say it, people will think there the most common army, instead of humans say imperium, etc. Be more indepth, it can't kill.

ok, i'll mentioned its because they are easy for people new to the game

Very good read, but don't you think some of the slang will hurt your marks.

fwuffy wittle animal
You've got a dictionary crying right their

that is deliberate and i will (eventually) have to evaluate and annotate each draft and write why i did what, so for this it is deliberate, but i suppose i should but it in ''s or in italics

If you can, talk about sisters of battle, but use only the abbreviations SOB to save some words ;)

hmmm, i wasn't sure whether i should mention them or not but i guess i will, i'll just call them nuns with guns etc. ;D

also i need more words so i'll write it out in full

thanks all, keep the comments, suggestiosn and critiques coming ;D
« Last Edit: February 2, 2005, 07:20:49 AM by Makenshi, The White Cloud »

Offline Kaliban La Rousse

• Lurking in the background
« Reply #7 on: February 1, 2005, 04:59:49 PM »
Ummm is this GCSE coursework cos if it is and we contribute to it your breaking the examination codes and stuff i just thought i wud mention it as my dad's a teacher and i know about this stuff
Non-orthopedically sprung life forms are reminded that matresses are the only sentient creatures that need floloping every day

Space Marines - Golden Disciples 4500pts done
Imperial Guard - 1st Elonian Janizars - w.i.p.

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
« Reply #8 on: February 1, 2005, 05:03:44 PM »
Ummm is this GCSE coursework cos if it is and we contribute to it your breaking the examination codes and stuff i just thought i wud mention it as my dad's a teacher and i know about this stuff

yup, i need more help with Eng. Lang. A/S coursework, this tiem it is 40k tho, and assay on why i play it

that answer your q? ;)

Offline Fishy

• Used Skyray Salesman
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • 'Shoot coward, you are only going to kill a man.'
« Reply #9 on: February 1, 2005, 05:07:59 PM »
the answer basically is no, not gcse, but yes, coursework of a kind that technically we shouldnt help with. however, so many sites exist now days with the 'answers' to so many essays that to do one 'fairly' is near impossible/ essays on other subjects have there websites, this one has here. just a note before anyone writes off (pun not intended) the idea of helping makenshi on moral issues.
Fish

The Tau Empire needs you to write articles for its Project now! Want to know more? Just ask!

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
« Reply #10 on: February 2, 2005, 07:19:24 AM »
There are nine ‘races’ in the universe of 40k, here are the names and a brief (read: poor) explanation of each.

The Tau (rhymes with ‘ow’), blue skinned pony-tailed three toed hippies; The Necrons (Neck-Rons), basically soulless robots with attitude (think ‘Terminator’ without the human skin); The Humans, us in about 38,000 years time; The Space Marines, genetically modified 9ft tall super-humans and probably the most common army; The Craftworld Eldar (Ell-Dar), who are, at the risk of being chased by my fellow gamers and burnt for heresy, space elves; The Dark Eldar, basically evil Eldar (if I told you any more I’d have to give this essay an ‘18’ certificate); The Chaos Space Marines, evil space marines with a wide assortment of demons and evil gods to help them; The Tyranids (Tier-‘N-Ids), think a cross between and anthill and the film ‘Alien’ and you wont go far wrong; And finally the Orks, these guys are basically giant fungus with arms, legs and a war-loving personality.

in my next draft i'll be changing this from a plain list to soemthign else, however im not sure how to lay it out, so any help there would be very welcome ;D

i'll be adding SoB to the 'races' and making a few alterations to it that my Englsih Teacher pointed out (handed it in and got feedback today)

im also thinking of adding in the common nicknames for certain armies e.g. SMurfs, 'Nids and SoB, and perhaps goign into soem more (serious) detail about them

cheers all :D
« Last Edit: February 2, 2005, 07:22:16 AM by Makenshi, The White Cloud »

Offline Siege_TF

• Lazerous Penguin
  • *Slurp* I mean... *Sip*
« Reply #11 on: February 7, 2005, 12:54:07 AM »
I suggest a short definition of each race, followed by how they play on the tabletop.

Tyranids - If the galaxy is an ocean the the Tyranids are the sharks, the Tyranids are bug-like aliens who attack worlds without descrimination in a massive wave of malevolent teeth and claws. Nobydo outnumbers Tyranids on the tabletop, and are the most lethal army in hand to hand combat, this is made up for by having low toughness and next to no armor, save for the shell on your back.
Eldar - 'Overspecailization leads to extinction'. The Eldar are a dying race, having crawled back from the brink of extinction they are no less humble for their downfall. The Eldar field a wide variety of highly specialized units and are near unstoppable in the hands of a vetran, though impotent in the hands of a newbie.
Tau - One race, five castes, each dedicated to one aspect of civilization; fire, water, earth, wind, etherial - warrior, diplomat, builder, merchant, leader. The fire caste is seen most frequently on the tabletop, with the exception of the occasional air caste pilot strafing the battlefield, most Tau technology has been theorized and put to limited use today, but is the bread-and-butter of their army.
Orks - When humanity was bashing rocks together to make fire the Eldar had the run of the galaxy, but Orks still perfer to bash rocks together to make fire. Big, dumb, and use guns because they like to make noise, they resemble a world war one era army on the tabletop, with some artillery and machines, but relying on massed infantry to win.
Necrons - The walking dead, except they are machanical. The terminator with a little less Ah-nold and a little more dirt, just as hard to take down, even with the technology availible thrity eight thousand years in the future.
Imperial Guard - When your empire reaches across the galaxy one has to work towards the lowest common denominator for any degree of standardization to exist, so it is with humanity. Styled after a world war two army with a wide range of artiliery, tanks, and men with guns, lots of men with guns.
Space Marines - Genetically enhanced superhumans with the best weapons and armor humanity can provide. They've got exceptional troopers, making them an army favoured by newbies, problem being the other races judge how strong their force is by how easily it will defeat a Space Marine army.
Hunters - Beware the mutant, the alien, the heretic. The Hunters are the secret army of humanity striking at it's foes in ways the Imperial Guard and Space Marines cannot. When a player learns their opponent is going to be a Hunter army their shoulders slump just a little, because their queen bug, alien commander, or costly tank is going to die in any one of many weird and wonderful ways.
Chaos - These would be the mutants and heritics, worshiping the 40K versions of the horsemen of the apokalypse they can have incredible power for the tiny price of their souls, and a buttload of pain. Regarded as a vetran's army, Chaos players have to be careful not to take too many daemonic gifts, unholy wargear, and other cheesy things lest they simply be overwhelmed on the tabletop.

Ouch, thats a big paragraph, maybe you could split it into the good, the bad, and the ugly?
Onager 
/ˈänəjər
/Noun
An animal of a race of the Asian wild ass (Equus hemionus onager) native to northern Iran.

In other words GW are calling Tau players wild asses for wanting a melee suit option.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk.
« Reply #12 on: February 8, 2005, 12:42:33 PM »
If the essay is about why you play 40k, maybe you should focus on that instead of turning it into a basic introduction to the game. Write about your own feelings about the game and why you chose to play it in the first place. Introducing the different armies will maybe turn into a sidetrack.
Try to stay focused on your topic (in the essay, that is).
Adults lie, but not always.

Offline The Purple Sage

• Requiem and terra day, and so forth. Amen
« Reply #13 on: February 9, 2005, 01:54:21 AM »
yeah i agree
stick to the topic, the army definition part is probably too long for such a small essay, try to explain the characteristics of the game more.
"I'm so fast last night i turned the light off and was in bed before the room was dark" - Mohammad Ali