News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Why do Kids get SH*T?  (Read 9869 times)

Offline *Box*

• Master of the Cubes of Rolling
Why do Kids get SH*T?
« on: June 17, 2006, 08:57:46 PM »
Allrite.

If I asked if you wanted to play me would you say no? Probably not. But then if I told you I was 13yrs. old would you still want to? Not as likely.

Not every kid is a snot nosed little brat.

I mean there are alot of em, but not everyone of us is.

When I used to play magic the gathering(I was 11) people would groan when they had to play me becuz at first they could easily beat me.

Then I win a tournament... Everyone is amazed and say that I cheat.

No one respects me.

I hate it. I'm just a nerdy gamer like the rest of you so why can't I be treated with respect?
Back in business.

So how does 540+20D6 attacks grab you?

My Space Marines

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
Re: Why do Kids get SH*T?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2006, 09:14:54 PM »
When I used to play magic the gathering(I was 11) people would groan when they had to play me becuz at first they could easily beat me.

Then I win a tournament... Everyone is amazed and say that I cheat. 

Well, if before you were easily defeated and then suddenly you win a tourney, what other conclusion would they bring? Consider this, a track runner has proven to run the 100m in 12 seconds or more. During the next championship they run a sub 11 second rally. What conclusion would you develop?

I hate it. I'm just a nerdy gamer like the rest of you so why can't I be treated with respect?

Respect is earned as you understand. It doesn't come for free and isn't handed out at the store in blister packs. Consider this, you weren't even born when I started the game.  :)  It's an uphill challenge but not one you're alone in facing.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline -bill-

• Haemonculus: 2007 London 40K Online RTT Champion
    • Pine Lodge IFAs
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2006, 10:06:10 PM »
Yeah they do it to me at 54 as well, when I prop my zimmer frame against the gaming table.

One of my few dark eldar defeats was to a ten year old who just had lucky dice (and me helping him with some of the rules).

Just chill out and let the respect roll in. You know you're good....they'll make their own minds up eventually - those that have minds anyway (LOL)

Offline [dixon]

• I pretend to be other users
  • BANNED
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2006, 10:11:41 PM »
I refuse to play any gamer who doesn't have respect for me, my models, or my playing style, regardless of age.  Simply because 80% of them are in the 10-15 range doesn't matter that much to me, except that they will have to show to me that they can handle themselves accordingly instead of me just coming up to them and asking for a game.  I don't think making that distinction is a big deal, as I can usually tell if I'd like to play with someone after watching them play a game out of the corner of my eye.
I pretended to be other members, and finally got BANNED

Offline Iron Claw

• Blood for the Blood God
    • The Lair
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2006, 10:40:39 PM »
I know how you feel !'Toast'! when i was young gamer i felt that the older gamers didn't care for me. But now that I'm 18 i understand where they are comming from.

Most young gamers need a "refresher" or a Tutorial of the rules. Frankly i want most of my focus on the game and not teaching the other player. Also we want a challenge, most young players can not give us that. Another thing is the young player can get emotional, i remember i played vs. a 11 year old, i nearly made him cried, i remember seeing his parents watching the game, which kill it for me.

I'm not saying that your emotional, or refresher or can't put up a fight, and i would probably would play against you. What i would do, is play some games with people your age and get the hang of the group that you play with
Worldeaters           
3000pts and Growing           
Armoured Company               
2750pts and Growing
Ultramarines
2500pts and Growing

Offline Kjata

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2006, 10:43:33 PM »
Yeah, I'm 14 and I get pissed off as well.  However, I always respect someone 5+ years older than me instantly, but If they don't deserve it then it goes away.

I usually don't need a refresher of the rules, and I correct most peple at my store a lot because I started like 4 days after 4th ed came out, so most people are still thinking back to 3rd.

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2006, 10:46:56 PM »
only time i get to choose who i play against is on the weekends, on vet / initiate nights it is randomly determined who we face.  so on the weekends i see a lot of vets play but i also see a lot of kids play.  and (not due to their age) i avoid the tables that the kids are using...simply because they play a bastardized version of the game (ie:  their interpretation of the rules, which are completely wrong at times) and are just crazy...you always hear about "Moral Victories"  like "i got my ass handed to me but at least i got to kill the daemon prince"  well these kids get extremely excited at smaller victories like blowing up a rhino.  i mean jumping up and down and screaming.

but not all kids are like that, one for example used to be one but he has gotten over it and has grown to be a mature player.  and he is 15 tops...in fact i think he is only 14.  point of the matter is, it isn't age that deters a lot of people it is how you play and how mature you are.  if you are very mature for your age (and lets face it, most kids your age are not as they do not have to deal with adults as often) then you will not have a problem, be like the kids i mentioned above and you will have a hard time getting games even after you have grown up.
Yeah, I'm 14 and I get pissed off as well.  However, I always respect someone 5+ years older than me instantly, but If they don't deserve it then it goes away.

here is an idea, if they do not respect you because you are young, dont respect them either.  if you have to earn their respect they have to earn yours...it is a two way highway and both ends are quite brutal, but meeting in the middle with a mutual respect is one of the greatest experiances in the world
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline srintuar

• Infinity Circuit | I'm too rational to have a mod-imposed dumb title, I suppose.
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • 電光石火
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2006, 10:53:18 PM »
if I told you I was 13yrs  ... why can't I be treated with respect?

Usually you get to know the crowd at your gaming store. Once you get past
introductions, they will know whether or not you are a good sportsman or not.
If they know you and are still reluctant to field vs you, maybe you arent mature enough yet.

Regardless, this problem will sort itself out naturally over time :)

Offline Pandamonium

• It's definitely not a trap
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2006, 10:59:14 PM »
I'm the 4th (5th?) youngest gamer at our shop and even the extremely annoying 11 year old gets respect when he games.  Why?  He games fairly and even gives you advice for your army (Even if it may be bad advice, he tries).  I'm pretty sure I get tons of respect, it's just I don't talk enough to anyone for anyone to know what's really going on in my head so I have small chit chat every now and then

I'm also known to give my opponents and my friend's opponent some bad mojo.  With a wave of my hand, my opponent rolls bad and my friend's roll good.  Some dude lost his Hive Tyrant to Firewarriors with my mojo about

Offline The Frugal Gamer

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2006, 07:36:22 AM »
I'm another ancient gamer, and I don't have any problem playing a 13 year old.  I do, however, have a problem playing someone, regardless of age, that is whiney, trash talks, doesn't keep his mind on the game, or is otherwise annoying.  We're all in this hobby for fun, and while I don't mind playing "kids," I do mind babysitting.  So understand that when playing an older player, especially someone like myself who is old enough to be your father, you can't always act like you do around your peers at school.  I'm not saying you can't be yourself, or have fun, but realize that older people are, well, older.  They will (usually) be more reserved and less boisterous than folks your age.  Take that into account, and you'll be fine, and older players will be happy to play you.
"If you see a bomb technician running, follow him."
- USAF Ammo Troop

Offline Andro Ist Keine Schwedischen

• Da Biggest; His Fluffiness; Warboss
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2006, 09:30:00 AM »
Some of the best games I've played were people who were at least 10 years older then me.  Don't know if I can say the same for them, but they seemed to enjoy it as well.  It's just a matter of maturity.

I have no problem with age in general, but it's the maturity I worry about.  I sometimes get matched up to a player I don't know at Games Night, but thankfully I've never had a really bad opponant.  I've had a few irritating ones, but nothing major (I suppose it helps that I beat them).

I did feel very uncomfortable when I played a kid in a tournament and his mother was watching.  Didn't help that I lost, despite the fact he barely knew the rules and his list was pretty bad.  Real kick in the teeth, but I smiled anyway.

There's only one person I wouldn't really like to play in my store.  He's probably 16 or so, and is as mouthy as you like.  I don't think anyone likes him, actually...

~Andromidius
aka. Boris the Bear

Offline MASTER_BRONIUS

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2006, 11:02:50 AM »
if they look like they don't want to play me cos i'm 13 then i will either not play them or i will beat them easily(which doesn't happen much wen i play someone not in my club)
i'm welsh and don't you forget it.

"A good general does not lead an army to destruction just because he knows it will follow." The Tactica Imperium

Offline Archonbjorn

• Archon
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Where's your emperor now?
    • Vengeance of the Fallen [Dutch]
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2006, 11:38:15 AM »
Gaming experience doesn't come with ages.

I think its still because 80% of the people of your age are those little screaming kids that still say bang bang and jump up and down at the table ya know?

We have this little ork player. 12 years old. And the dude just seriously has ADHD. I can't think of another way. Hes always moving, never watching if it goes wrong and can't concentrate. Hes also always screaming: I am gonna loose or orks orks orks or something like that.

I have tried to help him. I have spend 4 whole days with the little dude. Made a good list for him. Went easy on him and explained the rules. I even played WITH him with a army that I barely know. (sure was fun for me to learn somethign bout orks :P) He was calming down when he saw that he actually had a chance of winning. And that someone wasn't irritating himself crazy to him (well I actually was I just didn't let it notice) his dad was smiling at me as he also understood how hard it is for the others to retain their sanity.

I finnaly gave up hope after trying. It is one of the few cases that I just couldn't seem to save.

We then had another 12-13 year old at our shop. Trying to start tyranids. Some where ALREADY without knowing him seeing a tyranid version of the ork kid. And grumbled a bit. But we have learned over time that we shouldn't judge someone on his looks or the matter and so 3 of us walked towards him and talked to the fella.

We were suprised how different he was. He had loads of selfcontrol. Didn't scream WANTED to learn the game and there was surely a IQ difference of at least 30 between the 2 :P. We haven't seen him playing since though. (Think his mom found out he bought 40k we told him to tell her that)

Our youngest member of the group is 14. IG player and is a really funny guy. He has the same amount of respect as a 24 year old in our group. (not that hes bad or naything) the dude is simply calm and plays like it should be.

I don't get it why peepz keep screaming about the little kids. Sure there are some annoying kids amongst them. But thats no reason to auto claim that al of them are brats.

Offline Shade, Bankai King

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2006, 11:47:01 AM »
I think most kids get unrespected because of how they act and most act like stated above.When I first started playing I had no idea my shop had game nights or anything like that.I played for a year with my friends then went to the shop.They had no idea how old I was.I am 14 but am as tall as my dad who is around 6' and act pretty mature for what I am told.I played a few games and got to know some of the people then they asked how old I was and I told them.Most where surprised at how old I was and how well I acted.

Okay there was a point ot that story-Don't act like a 6 year old if you want to play games with older people and respect them and you will be respected.
[CENTER

Offline MASTER_BRONIUS

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2006, 12:10:09 PM »
i'm 13 and about the average size for an adult and i act really mature but they don't respect me as a gamer.

"A good general does not lead an army to destruction just because he knows it will follow." The Tactica Imperium

Offline Permeus

• You won’t see me coming!
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2006, 12:41:49 PM »
I treat kids (crimes that makes me feel old and I’m only 25) how they act

If a kid come to a game saying things like “aren’t Space Marine just the best army ever” or “my Space Marines can kill anything in any army” (both quotations are from two different players aged about 7 or 8) then I treat them like annoying kids other wise I treat then as standard gamers

But most gamers look down on kids because some kids give the rest a bad name

CWR :-\

Offline MASTER_BRONIUS

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2006, 12:46:29 PM »
But most gamers look down on kids because some kids give the rest a bad name

your right but they don't even give me a chance.

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2006, 12:52:47 PM »
Then prove them wrong.Show them that you are mature.
[CENTER

Offline MASTER_BRONIUS

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2006, 12:58:07 PM »
i've tried that befor and they wouldn't hear it but i'll try agen thanks

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2006, 01:02:35 PM »
Just give it awhile and don't act like the kids.
[CENTER