News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Tech Support Thread  (Read 61936 times)

Offline Brother Asreus

• Brother Captain, Resident Spokesman for Idiots.
  • Ancient
  • Closed captioned for the thinking impaired
Re: Tech Support Thread
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2005, 11:48:40 AM »
In WinXP: Control Panel (I'll let you decide how to get there) -Regional and Language Options-Languages Tab-Click on the Details button. In this window you'll see your keyboard settings (regional and language.)

Should fix the problem quite nicely Fal.  ;)

Cthulhu for Pres in 2012!!! Why vote for the lesser of all evils?

Offline Dux Aurelius Elysius

• Lord Inquisitor Tempestus; Captain Buzzkill.
  • Ancient
  • A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time.
    • The Duke's Painting Table (my painting blog)
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2005, 03:51:39 PM »
Excellent, working perfectly.  Thankyou very much :)
I carry with me an Inquisitorial Seal. It is a small, unassuming object contained in a neat box of Pluvian obsidian. It is a modest thing. Relatively plain, adorned with a single motif and a simple motto. Yet with this little object I can sign the death warrant of an entire world and consign a billion souls to Oblivion.

Offline Brother Asreus

• Ancient
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2005, 03:52:29 PM »
Don't forget to recommend us to all your friends. Glad things are back to normal for you.

Offline -The Reaper-

• Ordo Punkus - Emo Hunters
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2005, 07:25:09 AM »
Hey guys,

got a bit of a prob at the mo...
New PC. it had suse linux 9.3, i put XP pro on it.

the pc now has a 2GB partition and a 36.28GB unallocated partition.

how do i merge the two??

Offline Brother Asreus

• Ancient
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2005, 07:33:41 AM »
Well you could always rerun the setup and recreate the parition, but that would involve reinstalling windows. Another thing you might want to look into is a product called Partition Magic. I'll look for a link if you like and post it. I don't remember if it's free, free trial or purchase, but I'll look into it for you and let you know. I've used it and so has a friend of mine. It's been awhile so I'll have to go over what it can do, but it's powerful and easy to use.

Offline -The Reaper-

• Ordo Punkus - Emo Hunters
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2005, 07:35:43 AM »
Had a quick look

partition magic is purchase only. does exactly what i need tho...

Offline Brother Asreus

• Ancient
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2005, 07:45:13 AM »
I'll see if there's anything else that I can find that will do the trick and is free trial or free. Check your Personal Messages, I'll let you there and add the links for ya. ;)

Offline Col. Or'es'o (retired)

• Colonel
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • not quite dead last...
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2005, 05:26:02 AM »
dont suppose anyone knows an app that will allow me to seriously underclock my graphics card?

I was kinda curious why Guild Wars and DoW was crashing so often despite my best efforts with drivers and smartgart settings and so i opened her up and i realised yesterday that my Ati Radeon 9600 xt has been running without a fan for the past 6 months or so.  :D

Unfortunately a replacement fan wont be here for a week or so, so im going to have to underclock it as its running damn hot even when Im not doing much.

help appreciated soon,
Cheers!

PS. It still managed to complete HL2 15mins at a time with no slow down so Im impressed with the toughness of the hardware. ;D
Go little tau man! BANG BANG BANG!
Quote from: TheJester
How come everyone quotes Lomendil, and nobody ever quotes me?

Offline Razyus

• I wish things got done
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Takes a long time to build a cathedral of hate
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2005, 09:50:42 AM »
Ouch, I unfortunately can't help you there. I have managed to fix my faulty monitor by reseting it to factory defaults. I understand why the HUB won't work, it is because there is no local are network connection in my connections section.
What sort of evil good for nothing bastard stares out a window, or ducks, or materialises during a bloody good game of cricket

Offline Brother Asreus

• Ancient
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2005, 11:50:57 AM »
You can do what I did when my fan vroke Captain. Everytime I wanted to play a game, I opened the case and stuck a regular oscillating fan right next to it. I fixed it in place so it would blow right onto the card. No problems then. As for underclocking your vid card, I'll see what I can find. I know of som CPU underclockers, but none for vid cards. I'll let you know.

Offline Col. Or'es'o (retired)

• Colonel
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • not quite dead last...
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2005, 05:41:04 AM »
aye, i've got a regular fan next to it, but its somewhat lacking in power and its amazing how shops just dont stock fans in autumn. :D
any help would be appreciated, the only prog ive managed to get (and get working) is an overclocker, and as such it doesnt let you underclock as much as i would like.

Cheers!
Go little tau man! BANG BANG BANG!
Quote from: TheJester
How come everyone quotes Lomendil, and nobody ever quotes me?

Offline Lonewolf

• Cthulhu cultist, The Final Solution | Swarmlord | Staff Soap Spotter
  • Ancient
  • Murdering armies since 2003 - retired since 2012
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2005, 06:08:05 AM »
Hi folks, I have got a technical problem, and I hope it belongs here.
Anyway, here it comes:

I have an AMD Athlon with 1,4 G, a 300 watt powersupply, an Geforce 2 grafic card, elite group board, an 40* cd rom and one 40 G hard disc.

My problem started a while back. My old 300 watt power supply (whats the english term for it anyway?) started to make strange noises and to smell a bit. So i changed it for another one (an old one from my brother). Since this was build in, i had sometimes the problem, that my PC would switch off, when starting (probably a warning sign for an overused plug, but at this one, only my PC is connected to, and has been for years). But this problem ceased and i didnt waste a thought at it anymore. Then yesterday, when i started my PC it made "puff", a burning stench came from my powersupply and the PC switched off (a second before i unplugged it). Now i was under the impression, that the powersupply had caused the havoc, and bought a new one today. 30 € poorer i build the (350 Watt) powersupply into my PC. Then the same as above happened again.
So now i am 30 € poorer, and one information richer, that the powersupply was definitly not the cause for my problem.
So what could it be else?

I will probably buy a new pc (a cheap one for perhaps 500 €), and i want to save at least the hard disc (if it is still usable). So can anyone assure me, that the problem lies at least not in my hard disc? And whart parts could be reused?

Thanks in advance.

No problem, I'll give you a 100% increase in pay effective immediately and retroactive to 1999.

Offline Razyus

• I wish things got done
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Takes a long time to build a cathedral of hate
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2005, 06:13:02 AM »
From the sounds of it you may have overclocked your P.C. too much. Um, I suppose your hard drive should be salvagable, but then again if you have done this twice. I had a freind who overclocked his P.C. and started an electrical fir inside his P.C., same thing happened as with you, melted most of his components (remember Silicon has a melting point of 1200-ish degrees centigrade). On that note I doubt your Graphics card or processor will be redeemable. On a side note to help determine your problem, what do you use it for in general?
What sort of evil good for nothing bastard stares out a window, or ducks, or materialises during a bloody good game of cricket

Offline Lonewolf

• Ancient
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2005, 07:37:35 AM »
Well, for the looks, it seems, that it busted only my powersupply. Of course i may be wrong. Do you mean with "overclocked" overtacted (sorry not familiar with the english technical terms)?
If so, i have never done such a thing, but the PC is already 3 years old and has been shaken a bit from driving it around in my car. It is used mostly for internet, textwork and gaming (no high end game, a geforce 2 can only do so much).
Oh and i forgot to mention that it has 512 MB RAM.

No problem, I'll give you a 100% increase in pay effective immediately and retroactive to 1999.

Offline Fire Chicken

• This is my well thought out and informative text
    • Help me win the war
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2005, 10:24:52 AM »
I hope you remember to take that busted POS power supply back to the store for a refund.  They have a 1 year warranty (usually).  There are very few things your computer can do to kill a power supply.  I would take it to a shop (a different shop that the one that you are taking the PS back too) and have a look at it.  But it might be cheaper to get a new one.
If you can read this thank a teacher.
This is a very witty and amusing signature
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=185621.msg2275250#msg2275250

Offline Brother Asreus

• Ancient
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2005, 12:34:32 PM »
Do you have a surge protector? It sounds to me like it's a power surge. Good thing getting the 350 watt power supply, that's the minimum you need for your system. I would suggest trying another power supply but move it to another room on another circuit to see what happens. As for the rest of your system, it should be fine since power supplies are built to withstand internal damage. Omegazone's PS blew up and was on fire, but nothing but it was damaged. Also, when you get the new PS mention the issue to the technician at the store. They may have heard of it before and if you don't have a surge protector power bar, invest the money into one. It will save your computer.

Offline Lonewolf

• Ancient
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2005, 01:18:40 PM »
I did get a new power supply at the shop were i bought it  :)

@Brother Asreus

Do you think it was a powesurge, coming from my plug (steckdose)? That could be, but i wonder why in years nothing happens, and then it busts two PS within short time. But the idea for a surge protector (the ting you mean is put between the plug and the POS, right?) is good.

And also thank for your help guys.

Offline Brother Asreus

• Ancient
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2005, 04:03:28 PM »
Stranger things have happened. I had an outlet in an old flat that was fine with everything, but when I plugged my pc monitor into it, the monitor would flicker and be fuzzy. I had to completely change the refresh rate. I put in a surge protector/filter/UPS and it was fine. Computers just seem to be sensitive to changes in currents I think. Like I said though, try plugging it into a different wall outlet and see if the problem happenes again. If it doesn't, you may want to have that outlet looked at by an electrician to be safe. Hope it helps and it works.

Offline Lonewolf

• Ancient
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2005, 05:40:00 AM »
Ok you have convinced me about the surge protector.
As for my PC, i will follow rule one for highly effective pirates:"Pillage, then burn!"  :D
Or does anyone seek a cheap second hand computer??? ;D
Sure it might burn down your house, but no risk no fun   :)

Nah, i will give it to the shop, where i buy my new PC (minus the hard drive).

I still am not sure, what caused the problem in the first place, but then the PC was already pretty old and fulfilled its service.

Thanks for the help 

Offline Pyrrhic Victory

« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2005, 06:24:29 PM »
I need help bad! The graphics for my PC halo game are very bad and not near as good as they should be. I know it's a pc version and doesn't have graphics as good as X-box but this is ridiculous, chief isn't even shiny (or anything else actually) and his visor is black and the graphics are really plain. I went to the video options to try and fix this only to discover I can't use the options for shadows and specular(sp?). Can anyone help me on my problem because I don't got a clue how to fix my video problem.