News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Magic - discuss....  (Read 1662 times)

Offline Arquarian

• Infinity Circuit
  • all is dust...
Magic - discuss....
« on: November 29, 2012, 11:23:31 AM »
Ok so I know I'm still a bit new to the fantasy world after a decade and more long haitus but i'm still trying to work out where I want to sit Magic wise.

So I thought I'd start a thread on Magic, How pople want to use and what units, characters, items and what not people take to affect that role.

From my side I've got a Khorne leaning Warriors of Chaos army. I've experimented running a level 2 sorc and separately a lvl2 plus a lvl4. I've found the results a bit of a mixed bag.  I've noticed that the level 4 does not automatically  mean you're going to dominate the Magic phase. (I was facing a lvl 2 goblin shamen!) 

Being that I'm leaning towards Khorne I'm tempted to spend a whole lot less points on magic, go defensive and spend points else where.

So, from this post I'm looking for an open discussion on what people want from their magic phase and how they go about doing that....

Offline Benis

• 77 Shades Of Decay | Lazerous Penguin | Death to the Emperor with a Pulse!
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Getkilling
Re: Magic - discuss....
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 02:58:24 PM »
I don't know how much you will get out of a general discussion about magic, there are so many variables each army has to consider for it to be of much use and not just general nonsense.

That said, I would say that unless the army (Dwarfs basically) or theme (Khorne basically) demands it the best thing to go for is a lvl 4 and then if you feel you want a higher presence you add in a lvl 2 or two.

For my Beastmen I usually go with one lvl 4 and, depending on what else I want to field, one or two lvl 2. Bray Shaman are quite tough so they can withstand stuff normal wizards generally wouldn't like and Beastmen demand a certain level of magic to be involved given their lack of both shooting and protection and, fluffwise, their nature. I usually go for Lore of Shadows but on occasion I like to field a lvl 2 in a chariot with the Hunting Spear and then I just give the other lvl 2 Shadows while the charioteer and lvl 4 goes for Beasts since it means I can often get double bolt-thrower action from my chariot and it does after all carry a bonus when used on all Beastmen units. What I want from my magic phase is buffs to my own units so that they can remain on the table and strike hard when they do strike, some hexes are nice but generally I prefer to increase the survivability of my own units since they are quite fragile but gain a lot from most blessings.

Offline Arquarian

• Infinity Circuit
  • all is dust...
Re: Magic - discuss....
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 05:58:57 AM »
Thanks Benis,

Yes I agree that just discussing "magic" is a bit too wide but I think youv've done well  ;)

So basically you take magic
1) buff you own units
2) provide some shooting

How you do this;
Lvl4 for the buffs and a chariot mounted lvl 2 for the shooting.