News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Arena Style Game Idea  (Read 3047 times)

Offline Gunner1116

Arena Style Game Idea
« on: April 8, 2012, 10:53:14 PM »
I have had this idea for a while now. I wanted to see if anyone was interested in it, I will give you guys the layout of what I want to do and see your opinions on it. I don't really have a name for this yet, suggestions are welcome.

In this game, two players will compete against each other in combat. The battle will continue to the death unless a character surrenders, the victor will have the choice to kill them or let them live. Characters that die cannot be used again, but if a character's life is spared they can be used a second time. Players can play as many times as they want though. This game is meant to be short, easy, fun, and flexible. If this works and people like it, I will run it again. This game will involve dice rolling, which right now is the biggest issue I have.

Dice Rolling: There are two ways that the dice rolling can be done.
1. I can roll dice for both characters behind the scenes and calculate the outcome of the action/reaction phases (which I will get to in a moment).
2. Or the players can roll their own dice and PM me their roll and I will do the calculations based on those. I think that this is the better way to do it, but it requires that both players trust each other to not cheat.
The dice rolling will be done using the d100 system. For those of you who don't know what that is you simply take two d10s and pick one to be your 10s place die and one to be your 1s place die. For example I roll 2 d10s, the first one rolls a 3 and the second rolls an 8. You simply take the two and stick them together, the roll would equal 38. If you don't have two d10s, you can use this dice roller: Dungeons & Dragons Dice Roller. (Admins: If I am not supposed to post links I am sorry, feel free to remove it.) Players will PM their dice roll after they post their Action or Reaction. (Again, if you guys think this is the better choice.)

Phases
Action Phase
The players will PM me a die roll when they sign up or I will role for them (depending on which way you guys think is better), the highest roll will determine who goes first. The person who goes first will enter their Action phase. Anything (in reason) can be done during this phase. A player can attempt to move, attack, interact with the world around them, etc. The more you describe your actions the better, but remember you are just attempting to do them. I will calculate and tell you the results of your actions. These actions take up the span of a few seconds. There is no set limit on how much a character can do, but please be realistic.

Reaction Phase
After the first player acts, the second player will get to react. If there is nothing to react to, the 2nd player simply goes into their action phase. In this phase a player can only react to their opponents move. You can't attack back in this phase, only block, dodge, etc. Again you are attempting to react. After the players post their Action and Reaction moves, I will determine the outcome. Then the player that reacted will get their Action Phase. This process will repeat until the game is over.

Field/Combat type
I will post several options that the 2 competing players can vote on. They will number them in order of their favorite to least favorite, 1 being their absolute favorite and so on. These choices can range from a simple gladiatorial melee fight, to two warships fighting against each other in space. Suggestions are welcome. I will choose the field/combat type depending on the choices of both players, it would be best if they agreed on one, but if they cannot I will choose based on their numbering. When the field/combat type is chosen, I will give the players a variety of weapons, armor or other items/gear to choose from. After this is done, both players will enter the arena and combat will ensue.

What you gotta do to play
This will only involve two players per game and will be on a first come first serve basis. To sign up simply post a description of your character, PM your initiative roll to me and vote on the field/combat type. Characters must be somewhat humanoid. You can be of an alien race, but you cannot be some kind of animal. The more you describe your character the better. There are no stats, so don't worry about anything like that.

Rules
1. My word is final, don't get upset if things don't go your way or you die. This is just a game.
2. No cheating! If players are chosen to roll, this game will be based on the honor system.
3. No arguing.
4. If a player stops posting, the one that is still around will be proclaimed as the victor.

Victory
If a player wins their name will go down as a Champion of the Arena. These characters can be used again, but if they are slain they cannot. But even if they die, their name will remain on the Champions list.

Please tell me what you guys think and if you are interested. Again, I am torn on the dice rolling issue but I think that it would be best for the players to roll their own dice and simply PM their roll. Constructive criticism and suggestions are welcome!

"Don't take life too seriously, you'll never make it out alive."

Offline Saracenar

• Skarboy Nob
  • "Ugh..."
  • Armies: Malifaux :P
Re: Arena Style Game Idea
« Reply #1 on: April 9, 2012, 10:34:38 PM »
Sounds pretty cool to me. I have D10s at home so rolling myself isn't a problem, and I am willing to trust that others will not cheat. Everything seems fair.

Offline Killskin

• Wise men wonder while strong men die.
  • Armies: Da Orks
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 04:19:12 PM »
Sounds good to me. I`m ok with the trust system, and the different styles of combat sound interesting.

Could I get first game? I have 2 d10s lying around, and I don`t mind being a guinea pig.
"Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death."
    +++ Count Vlad von Carstein +++

Offline Gunner1116

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 06:24:44 PM »
Sure Killskin, I will go ahead and set up a game a bit later tonight. Right now I only have a few minutes to type this, my teachers have been pounding me with homework.  :'(

Offline Saracenar

• Skarboy Nob
  • "Ugh..."
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 10:03:49 PM »
Just had a question about the dice rolling. Are we rolling just for initiative or is it for every action we want to perform?

And, do we vote on the arena/combat style before we create characters and send you our rolls?

Offline Gunner1116

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 11:11:39 PM »
Right now you are rolling for initiative. Then, in the combat you will send me a roll after you write your action or reaction.

You create your character and choose the arena/combat style at the same time.

Offline Saracenar

• Skarboy Nob
  • "Ugh..."
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 11:30:11 PM »
Will our writing skills have influence over whether we succeed/how well we succeed in our actions, or is it just what we roll?

And wouldn't that require me to make four different characters though?

Offline Gunner1116

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 06:40:34 PM »
No, your writing skills won't have an effect on how well you succeed in your actions. This is because not everyone is as talented as everyone else.

And no, the idea is that your character will fight in a situation that he/she wouldn't normally. For example, you may create a roman gladiator because you want to fight in the coloseum. Let's say you win, then you use him again and suddenly he is thrust into the cockpit of a fighter jet. Now, that same character must fight in a completely new environment. Of course you can tailor a character to your favorite map choice and only use him when you get the option of that arena/combat type.

Offline Saracenar

• Skarboy Nob
  • "Ugh..."
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 10:02:28 PM »
Ah okay, understood. I'll get to making a character and sending you my initiative roll soon.

Offline Killskin

• Wise men wonder while strong men die.
  • Armies: Da Orks
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 07:50:04 PM »
Here`s my character.

Designation: SS7
Appearance: 6`5", black hair, military buzz-cut, blue eyes, blue jeans, black combat boots, black T-shirt, black trench coat
Description: SS7 is a result of a secret military experiment to create the perfect soldier. He is stronger, faster, smarter, and tougher than a normal human. He also learns at an incredible rate and retains what he learns. He was trained in the use of every weapon imaginable and has mastered several different kinds of martial arts. One day, he escaped, because he figured out that there`s more to life than war, and he is determined to keep his freedom, no matter the cost.`

I know background and stuff doesn`t affect performance, but it makes him sound cooler.

I coming for you, Saracenar :)
"Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death."
    +++ Count Vlad von Carstein +++

Offline Gunner1116

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 08:44:30 PM »
Alright, so now all that we need to start is your map votes killskin and Saracenar's character.  :)

Offline Saracenar

• Skarboy Nob
  • "Ugh..."
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 08:47:29 PM »
And here it is:

Name: Vela'Squath

Appearance: Stands 6'2" tall, has a greenish skin tone and a mane of short tentacled hair. Humanoid in form. Two large black eyes and a maw of fanged teeth. No nose or ears. Three fingers and a thumb. Hardened leather-like skin. No clothes. Hoofed feet. Covered in scars of a darker green colour.

Description: Vela'Squath is a warrior of the Denge, an alien race from another galaxy. It prefers melee over ranged combat, having won many bouts of combat on its home planet, Vela. It left Vela to find new opponents. Denge warriors fight without honour; anything goes in their fight to the death. The true honour glory lies only in victory, at all costs.

An interesting ability of the Denge is their capability of learning other languages with little exposure to that language or its speakers.

If you beat me, I'll have to punish you in The Sixth Plane ;)

Offline skoops6

• Armies: those pointy eared dudes with the ninja star guns
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2012, 07:30:47 AM »
This sounds really cool. After the current game, I would like to play If possible. here is my character:

Name: Rona Lorenthian

Appearance: Standing at 5'4, Rona's small frame lends itself well to her profession as an assassin. due to a birth defect, she has grey shaded skin and bright red eyes. she wears tight leather clothes, over which armor can easily be worn, as well a belt with a number of pouches and slots that hold a number of blades, ranged weapons and explosives.

Description: Rona is a professional assassin. it is her job to kill people, and she is good at her job. she excels at stalking her prey and striking where least expected. she is a dirty and merciless fighter. she will always try to catch her targets of guard or at a disadvantaged. even when forced to fight in the open she will fight like a cornered tiger. she prefers to fight with a pair of blades, and can strike down a foe 3 times before they have a chance to react. she also has experience with explosive weapons and ranged weapons such as snipers, as she is commonly required to to use such weapons in her line of work
You mean a gaming and miniatures company has devised a way to encourage you to buy more of their product? The FIENDS!

Offline The Nightwalker

• Ork Boy
  • Just Passing Through
  • Armies: Deffskullz
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2012, 10:24:56 AM »
I will play to. I will write up a character later today or tomorrow.

Offline Gunner1116

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2012, 03:47:27 PM »
Cool! Skoops and Nightwalker, you will fight after Saracenar and Killskin finish.

Offline skoops6

• Armies: those pointy eared dudes with the ninja star guns
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2012, 05:12:42 PM »
are you still in Nightwalker?
You mean a gaming and miniatures company has devised a way to encourage you to buy more of their product? The FIENDS!

Offline The Nightwalker

• Ork Boy
  • Just Passing Through
  • Armies: Deffskullz
« Reply #16 on: May 9, 2012, 10:45:51 AM »
Sorry. My post must not of stuck.

Name: Vera

Race: Nightwalker (A race Ive actually been developing for a story)

Appearance: Vera is some what short for his race, at only 6'6". But his must striking feature is his skin tone. Nightwalkers are darker than the world around them, due to there roughened skin trapping photons of light. In other words, they are blacker than black.

Another feature are there large, deep blue eyes. They are a near solid color and a little larger than a human golf ball, looking in them is like staring into the sea.

Background: Vera is one of many assassins from his people. With an instinctive distaste for being seen, and abhorrence to sound. He is perfectly suited for the task. Making a fair in come hunting those of louder demeanors.