News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Necrons  (Read 3873 times)

Offline Necron81

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Necrons
« on: February 7, 2019, 01:46:06 PM »
Hello everyone,

I have been searching for a place to chat about everything Necron related. Much like the tyranid hive site for tyranids.
   If there is already a place to go like this let me know if not let’s chat!
    I’ve been playing Necrons ever since they became an army to play in 40k and have been adding some of the newer units to my collection. I have always been a fan of the C’tan lore so I usually go C’tan heavy. I’m aware it’s not very practical in the tournament scene but I like the challenge.
   I believe a properly built list with good tactical play and of course some good dice rolling can be victorious even if it’s not a top tier tournament list that we usually see.
  If anyone would like to chat I’ll post a few lists and see what you think. Thanks

Offline volatilegaz

• Aspect Warrior
  • I'm dead inside.
  • Armies: Eldar, Just starting Necrons
Re: Necrons
« Reply #1 on: February 8, 2019, 03:39:35 AM »
A fellow Tomb-Lord! Welcome!

I've been out of the game for best part of a year now, but I'm looking to get back into it over the next couple of months, and I shall be playing Necrons when I do.

Necrons are my 2nd army after Eldar, and I've only managed a handful of games with them so I could really use another player to bounce some ideas off.
The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit.

Offline Necron81

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: February 8, 2019, 01:35:50 PM »
Awesome! I actually had to step away from the game for a while due to know where to play once I moved back to my home town. I always kept up with the game but didn’t get a lot of play time. But since then stores have opened and I’m back at it full blast.
  I strictly stick with Necrons as my #1 and play Tyranids/Genestealer cult as my #2. What Necron units do you have available? What theme would you like to play? Are you playing tournament style or just amungst friends? I’ll help you the best I can.

Offline volatilegaz

• Aspect Warrior
  • I'm dead inside.
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 06:58:01 AM »
I play with friends, but it's pretty competitive. We're doing a narrative campaign at the moment, and I'm playing against IM, who totally destroyed me in my last battle (though that was before we got the points drops from Chapter Approved).

I've got all units available, other than foregeworld and monolith. The campaign doesn't allow any 0-1 units though, so no named characters or C'Tan for me

I found myself totally outranged and out-gunned by the IM in the last game, so I've tried to address that in the below list. I've got 1,698pts to play with (odd number, don't ask...):

Mephrit Battalion:

HQ
DL w/ Nanoscarab Casket, SoL (WL)
Cryptek w/ Chronometron

Troops
10 x Immortals w/ tesla
20 x warriors
20 x warriors

FA
5 x Destroyers
5 x Tomblades w/ Nebuloscope, Shieldvanes & Tesla

Heavy
Doomsday Ark
3 x Heavy Destroyers

Flyer
Doomscythe

1,690pts, 120 wounds

Any advice gratefully received!

Offline Necron81

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 01:54:09 PM »
Hello there,

Sounds like a fun time. Range can be a problem for Necrons there strength lies in mid range firepower. Playing troop blobs like that means that the warlord trait immortal pride is a must. Keeping the troops fearless will help you get them to the middle of the board to do some real damage.
   I would drop the destroyer lord for an overlord with the warlord trait IP. Bring the veil of darkness on him in case things get rough and you need to leave.
   As for range in my experience bringing more than one doomsday ark is a must. It has too much randomness so the more the merrier. Try dropping the heavy destroyers and sticking one in that 5 man destroyer unit. Heavy destroyers are too easy to kill only being able to bring three hurts them. Bring another doomsday ark or two you won’t regret it I promise :) there the best long range we got!
  I’m not sure if your up for playing multiple dynasties but if you do bringing a spearhead detachment for the doomsday arks in Nihilakh rerolling 1’s to hit is really nice. You can use there fly keyword to stick them on top a high building if any and stop certain units from assaulting them.
   Your going to use extermination protocols every time for the destroyers so the Dlords buff is kinda useless.
    Doom scythes are ok but unless there in sautekh that -1 to hit when they shoot the big gun really hurts them because there always moving.
   Scarabs are almost a must too you really need them for screening (stopping deepstrike, taking enemy smites)
    Wraiths are always nice they take a lot of enemy firepower keeping your other things alive.
   I hope this helps you let me know what you come up with I’m excited to see!

Offline volatilegaz

• Aspect Warrior
  • I'm dead inside.
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 07:16:46 AM »
Thank for the tips!
Unfortunately I only have the 1 doomsday ark, so can’t take that, but I’ve gone with most of your other suggestions. Bit worried that I’m light on heavy firepower for dealing with tanks, though -think it’s worth swapping out some tesla for gauss?

Mephrit Batallion

HQ
OL w/ VoD, SoL (Warlord -Immortal Pride)
Cryptek w/ Chrono and SoL

Troops
10 x Immortals w/ tesla
20 x Warriors
20 x Warriors

FA
4 x Scarab
3 x Wraith
5 x Destroyers +1 x Heavy Destroyer

Heavy
Annihilation Barge w/Tesla
Doomsday Ark

Flyer
Doom Scythe

1,698pts, 129 wounds

Offline Necron81

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2019, 01:31:58 PM »
Good afternoon,

Tanks will be tough for you due to your doomsday ark limitation and your only mortal wound output is taken away with no C’tan allowed with the exception of death marks which are just ok.
  This means your destroyer unit is going to be putting the work in on vehicles so it will be very important you keep them alive as long as possible they will unfortunately be a huge target.
   Can you drop the three fast out of the battalion and put them in a outrider detachment with a cryptek with cloak? The 4+ reanimating will help your destroyers live longer and you’ll gain an extra CP out of it. Use the wraiths to tie up dangerous things that threaten your destroyers and screen them with the scarabs so your opponents don’t smite through your invulnerable save.
 How many doomscyths do you have or flyers in general? If you have three maybe a sautekh flyer detachment will help with the antitank, the being able to move and shoot the heavy gun will help.
  Keep the Tesla in mephrit they are a sweet deal plus in my experience the more dice you roll and make your opponent roll the better.
    If you would like you could list all your units you have battle ready and the amount of them you got I may be able to help you a little more. Have a nice day I’m off to work. Ttyl

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2019, 04:47:36 PM »
Since the codex drop, I highly recommend Nightscythes, I've been able to get troops where I want them and then the scythe just annoys everything with tesla shots. Big Fan of Guass weapons for immortals too.

Offline Necron81

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2019, 11:16:39 PM »
Hello magenb and welcome to the chat. I agree that nightscythes are good at that but you must make sure you bring enough of them. Experienced players will know that if your transports are blown up you’ll lose everything you put into reserve unless you burn the command points to let them live.
   Once your opponent sees you move them they will be a high target if they know you got units in reserve and at toughness 6 and 12 wounds they won’t last long against most firepower armies.
  There 135pts a pop so once you go with that plan you got to be fully committed to it. As for immortals gauss has its advantages but with the mephrit dynasty Tesla weapons at half range are really nice with the amount of shots you can pump out especially if they are my will be done from the overlord. And if you got a lord around the rerolling 1’s to wound is icing on the cake.
  I’m not at all saying it’s a bad plan just that if you go the nightscythe strategy just make sure you got enough of them and that your army is equipped to play that style.

Offline volatilegaz

• Aspect Warrior
  • I'm dead inside.
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 10:35:06 AM »
Thanks for the tips, guys. I've dropped the annihilation barge in favour of a 2nd Cryptek and a bigger scarab unit, and will go with the outrider detatchment as suggested.

I only have the 1 flyer (can be used as either doom or night), and I think it's more usefully deployed as a gunship -I have the option of voD if I really need to get a unit of troops somewhere fast

Offline Kaiju Senso

• Necrontyr Warrior
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Necrons, Guard, Tau, Marines
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2019, 11:22:26 AM »
Welcome Necron81. I’m glad to see some good discussions again.

Being an old time Necron player, how have you coped with the major army and rules changes since the first codex? I’ve been struggling to find my niche ever since the late 5th edition codex reboot.

Offline Necron81

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2019, 02:09:34 PM »
Good luck volatilegaz let us know how it goes. Thanks kaiju senso I’ve been looking for a good Necron chat area.
  I started Necrons back in 4th when they came out as a codex. I like 40k for a few reasons I like a good strategy game and 40k will always be changing creating new challenges for me. I also like the fluff even though Matt Ward made my C’tan Necron slaves which I didn’t like very much but hay it is what it is.
   The codex changes After the first one gave Necrons a lot more options which were nice. Flyers became very powerful in 6th and 7th for Necrons.
  The 8th edition changed the most in my opinion due to the big changes in the game as a whole. As far as coping with them it’s been fun, I watch battle reports when I can and play as often as possible so I learn what play styles that are most common and how I can build lists to compete and have fun. Before the point reductions in CA Necrons were struggling to compete with other competitive lists. Now they got a better chance even though most other armies got reduced in points too lol. But it allows you to fill a nation more easily and get that much needed CP.
  If your primararly a Necron player I would recommend IDCBEER on YouTube. Nick is a huge Necron fan and has been playing about as long as I have, he usually thinks the same way I do in terms of Necrons. I enjoy his videos.
  It seems our doomsday arks in pairs or more are really good right now there too random in shots to just bring one. I’m trying to build a C’tan heavy list that’s competitive and fun. At there cost I’ll have three (Deciever, Nightbringer and a transcendent). Then I’ll add some doomsday arks and then some units to get my C’tan where they need to be safely. Then I’m not sure yet where I want to go from there. Destroyers are awesome so I’ll bring some of them too.
     Still working on the rest. 2000pts and forge world is allowed. Knowledge and input is power. Got any suggestions?

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2019, 05:06:50 PM »
You really want to bring a lot of things for 2k.

I definitely suggest a core of an Overlord, a Cryptek with a chronometron, and 3 full squads of Tesla immortals. A full unit of Destroyers and 2-3 Doomsday Archs. Not a whole lot of room left after that.

Offline Necron81

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2019, 07:25:26 PM »
I agree I built two lists so far I’ll post them later due to me being at work. I’ll show you all what I’ve come up with. Ttyl

Post Merge: February 15, 2019, 06:24:31 AM
In the future, please use the modify button. Double posting is against the forum rules, and for that reason, the system merged your posts.

Hello there fellow Necron players. I’ll post both lists with a small summary let me know what you all think. Keep in mind these will not be usual competitive lists your use to seeing which will mean they are a little unorthodox and may be tough to win with but that’s what I love about them I’m always up for a good strategic game after all these years of playing.

List #1

[Nihilakh Spearhead Det. 1CP]    605pts
HQ: Cryptek: cloak, staff of light
Heavy: Doomsday Ark 
Heavy: Transcendent C’tan: powers picked depending on opponent

[Mephrit Vanguard Det. 1 CP]    575pts
HQ: Cryptek: cloak, staff of light
Elite: 5 Deathmarks
Elite: Deciever: powers picked depending on opponent
Elite: Nightbringer: powers picked depending on opponent

[Mephrit Outrider Det. 1 CP]    819pts
HQ: CCB: Warlord, Warscythe, Res. Orb, Gauss Cannon, Relic chosen before game
Fast: 3 Scarabs
Fast: 3 Scarabs
Fast: 6 Destroyers
Fast: 4 Tomb Blades: Tesla X 2, shadowloom
Fast: 4 Tomb Blades: Tesla X 2, shadowloom

1,999pts.
6CP

I,m aware against high firepower armies I may have issues but I think with the appropriate play and strategy I’ll give them a good fight at least. Low on CP but extermination protocols will be my main use with them. It’s a fast in your face list and if I get second turn I’ll have to use Deciever grand illusion to help maneuver and protect until my turn. The list can grab objectives quickly in a pinch as well.

List#2

[Sautekh Battalion Det. 5CP]. 704pts
HQ: overlord: voidscythe, Res. Orb, Relic chosen before game
HQ: Orikan The Divine
Troops: 10 Immortals: Tesla X 3

[Sautekh Vanguard Det. 1CP]. 604pts
HQ: Lord: warscythe
Elite: Deciever: Powers chosen depending on opponent
Elite: Nightbringer: Powers chosen depending on opponent
Elite: Triarch Stalker: Twin Heavy Gauss

[Sautekh Spearhead Det. 1CP]. 695Pts
HQ: Illuminor Szeras: Warlord immortal pride
Heavy: Transcendent C’tan: Powers chosen depending on opponent

2,003Pts
10 CP

This list combines some standard competitive lists with my own C’tan twist. A lot more CP to work with but much less mobility as List 1. After the stalker hits re-rolling ones on a big target will be nice. the Sautekh strat will allow my Arks to to hit well and my immortals getting Tesla explosions on 4+ if they are my will be doned. No room for Destroyers but oh well Can’t have everything at only 2000pts lol
  Orikans 5+ inv. Is nice instead of the just against shooting from chrono. And with some lucky rolling I might get some good buffs from Szeras while he keeps my troops fearless.

Let me know what you all think have a great day! Happy gaming!

Oops forgot the 5 Scarabs in the 2nd list.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 05:04:53 PM by Necron81 »