News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: [HM] 1000pts list, doctrines used for fluff.  (Read 1269 times)

Offline 'Mark'

• Major
  • Run them to the ground!
[HM] 1000pts list, doctrines used for fluff.
« on: July 16, 2004, 11:33:58 AM »
I know that there must be atleast a hundred other lists on the forum at this moment, so I hope some people get some time free to comment on my list.

OK, this list is based on my larger army found here:

http://www.40k.ca/community/index.php?topic=68727.0

Here you can also find the fluff on the army should you wish to read it.

Basicly, First platoon are my standard troops and Second platoon are from a veteran regiment.
I play al kind of opponents (mostly SMurfs or course...) and we play mostly missions. So I have to be able to capture and defend objectives.
Oh, we don’t use the rules up-date, so screening is still possible.

Here's the list:

Doctrines:
Iron Discipline – Highly trained by the scola Progenium (sp?)
Light Infantry – To represent the veteran skills
Close Order Drill – Units are drilled to stand shoulder to shoulder for max. effectiveness against Tyranid assaults. It was also the cheapest way to represent the legendary assault of the Home Guard against the Tyranids on the Agouria Plains.
I didn’t use any resticted troops, so only three doctrines.

HQ Platoon:

-Command squad – 2x plasmagun, standard bearer
     Jr. officer – powerweapon, boltpistol, ID

-AT squad – 3x lascannon

-Fire support squad – 3x heavy bolter

TROOPS
First Platoon, Home Guard:

-Command squad – Autocannon, 2x grenade launcher
     Jr. officer – Bolter, ID

-Infantry squad – Missile launcher, plasmagun, COD

Second Platoon, Veteran Regiment:

-Command squad – 3x Grenade launcher, LI
     Jr. officer – Bolter, ID

-Infantry squad – Sniper rifle, grenade launcher, COD, LI
     Sergeant – shotgun
     Sergeant – shotgun

FAST ATTACK

-Sentinel – Multilaser
-Sentinel – Multilaser

HEAVY SUPPORT   

-Leman Russ Battle Tank – Hull heavy bolter

Models:
67 guardsmen, 2 sentinels, 1 battle tank

Weapons:
Plasmagun – 4x
Grenade launcher – 7x
Missile Launcher – 2x
Autocannon – 1x
Heavy bolter – 3x
Lascannon – 3x
Multilaser – 2x

Point use :
HQ – 27%, 1 choice
Elite – 0%
Troops – 49%, 2 choices
Fast Attack – 9%, 2 choices
Heavy Support – 15%, 1 choice

Offline Narvlen

Re: [HM] 1000pts list, doctrines used for fluff.
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2004, 04:04:05 PM »
HQ Platoon:

Maybe Find Points to give your Jo a Carapace ,
Also Maybe Trade your Plasmagun for Meltagun.
So that you maybe can take a stab at the Objective
at the end with a Resilient squad.
Arguing Online like competing in the special Olympics

Member of League of 18 Tactician- Mechanized

" We Will let the Dice Decide "

Member of the prestigious 40k.ca commissariate

4K Cadian 33rd Ranger Division
4k Ork Army "wu-tang Clan"
2k Witchhunter

http://commissar.proboards22.com/index.cgi

Offline Colonel Twisting Shadow

• Colonel
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • I was told to get a life; so I bought more figs...
  • Armies: What don't I play?
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2004, 04:45:06 PM »
HQ Platoon:

-AT squad – 3x lascannon

Looks good here, except you've only got one bullet catcher in there...then again, since you can still screen, you might as well upgrade him to carry another plasma gun, and swap your standard out for a medic.

From a fluff perspective, why doesn't this squad have LI?  I mean the most skilled warriors are put into command platoons, yet yours are in regular squads(?).

Jr. officer – Bolter, ID

Again, the one bullet catcher in the comm section, but w\e.  Do remember, that (should ordnance weapons appear) COD is optional, so you can still space out your squads (just checking).  Also, it seems that there is only one autocannon in your army...I'd drop it for another missile launcher, as much for continuity as for effectivness (3MLs complement eachother better than 2MLs and a AC, IMO).

Jr. officer – Bolter, ID

Sergeant – shotgun
     Sergeant – shotgun
I'm not sure how the SR/GL combo works...is it any good?  If not, i'd get Autocannons for your squads instead.  (good weapon, and means the above autocannon in platoon 1 won't be missed).

-Sentinel – Multilaser
-Sentinel – Multilaser
They look fine.

I'm not used to seeing a russ in a Light infantry army, but if it fits your fluff (I haven't read it just yet, but I will in a few minutes), then keep it.  You might want to look at getting sponson heavy bolters, as TVR (if you use them) state you can move and fire all of them, which is nice if you lose your battlecannon.

My only real problem with this list (bar the sniper rifles, i don't know how good they are in squads) is your lack of AV14 busting weaponry.  Yeah, you've got lascannons, but they're all in one (small) squad.  You mentioned playing nids alot, so a well placed lictor could mean trouble for you...  Maybe you could fit lascannons as a replacement for the missiles in platoon one?

- Xander
Hey! I know!  Let's focus on building army lists, instead of silly custom titles and command structures, yeah?

From the days of the doctorines.
RIP-Goyder, Koonitz, and Jenkins.  Honour them.

Armies:
ORDER: Elysians 2k5, Armored battlegroup 2k5, Infantry Guard 2k, Dark Angles 4k5, Grey Knights 2k
DISORDER: Chaos 3k, Daemons 2k Dark Eldar 2k5, Nids 2k, Orks 2k5
I'm both proud and ashamed of those numbers...

Offline 'Mark'

• Major
  • Run them to the ground!
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2004, 05:36:21 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

HQ Platoon:

-AT squad – 3x lascannon

Looks good here, except you've only got one bullet catcher in there...then again, since you can still screen, you might as well upgrade him to carry another plasma gun, and swap your standard out for a medic.

From a fluff perspective, why doesn't this squad have LI?  I mean the most skilled warriors are put into command platoons, yet yours are in regular squads(?).

Second platoon is an addition to the standard army, my Home Guard has access to things like battle tanks and stuff, while the veterans only get hellhounds as their armoured support. This squad is part of the Home Guard and has therefor not the green camo armour the squads from the Veteran Regiment have.

Jr. officer – Bolter, ID

Again, the one bullet catcher in the comm section, but w\e.  Do remember, that (should ordnance weapons appear) COD is optional, so you can still space out your squads (just checking).  Also, it seems that there is only one autocannon in your army...I'd drop it for another missile launcher, as much for continuity as for effectivness (3MLs complement eachother better than 2MLs and a AC, IMO).

This isn't my first IG army, I know how to use COD  ;D
I'll switch the autocannon for a ML though

Jr. officer – Bolter, ID

Sergeant – shotgun
     Sergeant – shotgun
I'm not sure how the SR/GL combo works...is it any good?  If not, i'd get Autocannons for your squads instead.  (good weapon, and means the above autocannon in platoon 1 won't be missed).
These are light infantry units, they can't bother to carry something as bulky as an autocannon with them. (Otherwise they would have had them of course)

-Sentinel – Multilaser
-Sentinel – Multilaser
They look fine.

Hard to miss, huh?  ;)

I'm not used to seeing a russ in a Light infantry army, but if it fits your fluff (I haven't read it just yet, but I will in a few minutes), then keep it.  You might want to look at getting sponson heavy bolters, as TVR (if you use them) state you can move and fire all of them, which is nice if you lose your battlecannon.
Yeah, we use TVR. It had sponsors originally, but I needed some extra points so I scrapted them.

My only real problem with this list (bar the sniper rifles, i don't know how good they are in squads) is your lack of AV14 busting weaponry.  Yeah, you've got lascannons, but they're all in one (small) squad.  You mentioned playing nids alot, so a well placed lictor could mean trouble for you...  Maybe you could fit lascannons as a replacement for the missiles in platoon one?
Well, they fight nids mainly in their fluff.  ;)
I need to come up with some very good conversion if they are going to carry a lascannon (I took ML as they can be easily carried), but if this idea has a wide support I'll look into it.

- Xander

- Mark

Any other suggestions?

EDIT: I'll see what I can do about the other suggestions (meltaguns, one bullet catcher, etc) later, if more people comment about it.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2004, 05:48:51 PM by Terra's Guard »

Offline Conscript Jenkins

• General
  • We are many, They are few
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2004, 07:39:37 AM »
Okay, here's a critique the old fashioned way:

1. HQ Command Squad. Why the Plasma? This squad is vulnerible enough as it is without worying about misfiring. I'd rather see this squad with a nice little Missile Launcher. The JO doesn't need the Bolt Pistol, and to be honest he doesn't really need the Power Weapon. If you drop the Plasmas and the Power Weapon you can buy a nice Lascannon.

2. AT Team. See below.

3. FS Team. Problem. 2nd Platoon is built for Infiltration. That means, if they infiltrate them, they'll be only about two Infantry Squads acting as bullet catchers before enemy firepower starts tearing into you're more vulnerible squads, like this one. I'd recommend dropping one of these two Support squads and buying up another Infantry Squad for 1st Platoon.

4. 1st Platoon Command Squad. Get rid of those Grenade Launchers. Settle for the Autocannon and consider junking the Bolter.

5. 1st Platoon Infantry Squads. Simple, effective, perfectly good.

6. 2nd Platoon Command Squad. I'm concerned about the lack of AT firepower in you infiltrating forces. Meltaguns are too limited but 2 Plasma Guns would not be unwelcome in this force. Something to give these boys a bit more punch.

7. 2nd Platoon Infantry Squads. Drop the Sniper Rifle, the odds of it actually inflicting casualties with are horrible. Consider Heavy Bolters, you can model them to be carried by one man (Ox from Last Chancers), they have enough strength to threaten the side/rear armor of most tanks (although they won't be too effective), and they have a nice enough range if you decide to sit back and shoot. The Grenade Launchers are fine for more ranged firefighting but to inflict some real damage you're gonna need Flamers. Oh, and the Sarge desrves the CCW/LP combo, 'cause these boys WILL get into CC.

8. Sentinels. Should be fine. I assume they'll be helping the Infiltrators. In that  case, consider switching one to an Autocannon, given the possibility of side armors in the 11-12 category.

9. Leman Russ. Should do fine. Make sure to deploy it hull down, however, as it'll be under a lot of fire.

Essential Statistics:
67 Bodies, 1 AC 14 vehicle, 11 Heavy Weapons

Overall, I'm worried that the core of you army is weak. Out of 67 bodies, 25 will be Infiltrating, leaving you with 42 men, only 20 of them in Infantry Squads. It looks like a shooty force with a strong flanking element (Infiltrators, Sentinels) and it puts out an impressive amount of Dakka but I think the core of this army will collapse in any assualt situation or even if faced with above average firepower. Either make the core more resiliant or abandon the shooty element and go primarily Light Infantry, maybe with Tank support.
You can never have enough Dakka
Crush The Cheese!!!
If brute force isn't working, you're not using enough.

Member of the Board 18 League of Tacticians, SAFH Strategist.
The Super Shooty Tactica:
http://www.40k.ca/community/index.php?topic=62570.0

Playing Guard means never having to say you're sorry for obliterating your opponents entire army before he can get into HtH.