News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Valkyrie Spam  (Read 4622 times)

Offline Gal'rgae Neverborne

• Armies: Eldar, Deathwing, Daemons
Valkyrie Spam
« on: May 19, 2019, 04:41:32 PM »
Hi,

So tinkering with list builders and got my beady eyes on IG.

I've written myself a list.

HQ
2x Tempestor Primes

Troops
3x(10) Tempetus Sions w/ 3 Plasma guns
2x(10) Tempetus Sions w/ 2 Melta Guns

Flyer
3 x Valkyrie Heavy Bolters, Rocket Pods, Lascannon
2x Valkyrie Heavy Bolters, Rocket Pods, Lascannon

So I don't play at elite tournament level but I do play competitively.

What I want to know from IG veterans is how competitive or not this is. I'm kind of a go-big or go-home player, but I do want to be able to trade punches with strong builds.

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: Valkyrie Spam
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 06:59:57 PM »
I wouldn't even bother with the lascannons on the valks. I find it a waste not to max out the number of special weapons in each squad. Being so elite you need to hit as hard as possible when you drop out.

I also prefer to run min sized squads and put in command squads to complement them. It maximizes the number of special weapons. Specially when you're taking meltas (or using the plasma) to pop transports. Don't want to waste the hotshot las on a vehicle. For example, I'll run a command squad with 4x meltas and a 5-man troop squad with 2x volley/plasma guns and a plasma pistol.

Also suggest command rods on the primes.

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2019, 09:42:49 PM »
I am posting to say "Yes, what Partninja said."

I will also add that, much like your 4 Rhino + LR list, 5 Valkyrie's are not as tough as they appear. The good news is, thanks to Grav Chute Drop (or whatever that rule is called), they are exceptional transports and will reliably deliver cargo.

How many points is this? Just eyeballing, it doesn't look like quite 2000. 1850? 1750?

You aren't putting a lot of bodies on the board at this point level, methinks. Scions are not great objective holders and lack staying power (being similar in use to a lot of Eldar units). This will be a tough list to play. 

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2019, 11:16:03 PM »
I think the biggest issue is that there is no innate ability to get an additional -1 to hit on those flyers. 

The reason why flyer spam works for Eldar is because they can be Alaitoc; and it works for Dark Angels because they can include Darkshrouds.

Getting the negative modifier because they are flyers is nice, but it won't do enough to negate the firepower that will be aimed at them.

That being said, this list could work.  I just think you're going to have to work really freaking hard to pull it off.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Gal'rgae Neverborne

• Armies: Eldar, Deathwing, Daemons
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 12:20:13 PM »
It was a 1500 point list, I was surprised how much I could get in too.

Valkyrie's have a lot of room for creative paint jobs and I'm generally a player who goes to extremes. But I don't want another Deathwing army on my hands i.e. really unique, fluffy and distinct that's just bunk.

I'll look elsewhere,

thanks for your comments. 

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 12:26:44 PM »
At 1500 points, this becomes a LOT more viable, FYI. 50 guys with moderately good saves can work, assuming you can hit the things that want to crush you hard.

But yeah, still hard. But doable, for sure, and probably a lot of fun. You'll have to max out those specials, though.