News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: New Codex  (Read 14592 times)

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
New Codex
« on: September 25, 2017, 12:41:21 PM »
With the new Guard codex shortly arriving we're getting inside looks at what's coming. Beginning with the Catachans.

Regimental Focus: Catachan – Warhammer Community
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Re: New Codex
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 01:03:27 PM »
With the new Guard codex shortly arriving we're getting inside looks at what's coming. Beginning with the Catachans.

Regimental Focus: Catachan – Warhammer Community

Whoever it is that said the "preferred unit" of the Catachan Jungle Fighters should be the Deathstrike Missile needs to be slapped upside the head. I would guess something like Hellhounds would be a better pick, but whatever.

They look pretty nasty, gotta say. The strength boost is particularly interesting. Charging with Guardsmen might actually work.

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 01:06:13 PM »
WOW! This sounds so awesome... the improved strength and leadership are insane! I never thought they'd do it, but its so suiting. I absolutley love this stuff. Fantastic updates... the improvement to blast attacks is crazy as well. Such a nice buff
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 01:08:50 PM »
... the improvement to blast attacks is crazy as well. Such a nice buff

I find the blast re-roll thing...weird. Like, what is the reasoning, there? A bunch of jungle fighters, what--over-pack their mortars? Their big muscles let them load bigger guns?

I don't get it. I don't get how the Catachans would have more powerful vehicles than anybody else. You'd think the lack of open terrain on their homeworld would limit them to things like Taurox, Chimera, and Sentinels and stuff. 

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 01:15:23 PM »
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 03:04:01 PM »
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 05:46:55 PM »
I don't get it. I don't get how the Catachans would have more powerful vehicles than anybody else. You'd think the lack of open terrain on their homeworld would limit them to things like Taurox, Chimera, and Sentinels and stuff.

because GW has gone back to pushing models.

Offline faitherun (Fay-ith-er-run)

• Armies: Pointy Ears and bugs
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2017, 06:14:43 PM »
Looks like conscript spam may be addressed too!

Conscripts, for example, have been changed to better reflect their inferior discipline compared to professional soldiers.

Daemon Engines, a battlefield in a box and a new codex – Warhammer
So, what your saying is it's not your fault you look stupid by using words you don't get?
Flawless logic.

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2017, 07:40:13 PM »

because GW has gone back to pushing models.

Well, that is their job. To sell models.

Catachans are pretty well trained and experienced soldiers. Could represent well trained tank crew. They do operate armoured vehicles, large explosions helps clear enemy entrenched in the woods.

I'm curious to see which regiment gets the ubiquitous '-1 to shoot at +12"' trait every book gets, probably the Tallarn.

Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 08:20:52 PM »
Catachans are pretty well trained and experienced soldiers. Could represent well trained tank crew. They do operate armoured vehicles, large explosions helps clear enemy entrenched in the woods.

True for many of the Guard regiments. What you're missing is why *them* in particular. The jungle is not even close to a good environment for armoured vehicles for the obvious reasons. Catachans don't need big booms in an environment full of naturally available locally sourced shrapnel. It feels off that these are bonuses for the jungle guys.

I'm not even going to try and explain their fondness for theatre grade ballistic missile launchers.
Drink
Knights Tippler

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2017, 08:31:43 PM »
I would have guessed that the *Catachans* would have been the -1 to hit guys. Or some kind of cover bonus or something.

• Ancient
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2017, 08:44:31 PM »
I would have guessed that the *Catachans* would have been the -1 to hit guys. Or some kind of cover bonus or something.

I'd say that's definitely more the Tallerans wheel house. The Desert raiders were all about infiltration and sneaky stuff like that.

The +1 strength for the Jungle Fighters fits really nicely. I could see them as the 'fall back and charge' sort of dudes too.

Traps and such would be done as stratagems.

Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2017, 08:59:26 PM »
We already can see the trap stratagem. Not bad at all. Yay for more mortal wounds being thrown around.
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2017, 02:40:16 AM »
The trap stratagem, the strength boost (why didn't I ever think of that!?!)  and their unique order all look characterful and useful.  With a priest and iron hand leading them, assault IG might be tje tiniest bit viable  The leadership boost and the tank thing was unexpected though.  Not what I would have imagined the catachans getting.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2017, 11:40:03 AM »
Behold the Mordians
Regiment Focus: Mordian – Warhammer Community

Cheaper Leman Russes for everyone as well and Grinding Advance which sounds a little dodgy really. You may need to zoom in a tad but take a close look at Firing Squad. Rapid fire weapons able to snipe characters.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 11:44:15 AM by The GrimSqueaker »
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2017, 12:20:45 PM »
There is one regiment that has always had me interested in playing Guard, and that is the Mordian Iron Guard.  What has kept me away, however, is the fact that they are all pewter models.

That being said, holy crap!  Those Mordians are looking bad ass from the rules.  Especially since that stratagem will effectively allow a tank to Overwatch on 4's!
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2017, 06:31:47 PM »
HOLY CRAP GRINDING ADVANCE!

That is *such* a game-changer for the Russ. Pretty much every brand of Russ is useable thanks to that rule (well, except the Eradicator--sorry, little guy).

I get to fire a punisher gatling cannon *twice* now? That's Yhwh-condemneded ridiculous. Oh, how the orks shall howl (before being reduced to fleshy green ribbons).

Also, my favorite quote about the Mordians so far (seen on another site):

Well, time to break out the square bases again. Time is a flat circle.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 08:07:22 PM by Wyddr »

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2017, 12:02:42 PM »
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2017, 12:36:31 PM »
Regiment Focus: Vostroya – Warhammer Community

Vostoya! Gesundheit.

Well that's...disappointing. A range bump? Big freaking deal--as though the Guard has ever had a problem outranging its enemies. Nice for lasguns, I guess.

I would also say "nice for plasma," but the whole point of taking plasma guns is to drop your dirt-cheap squad of plasma dudes in something's face and rapid fire like a madman. An extra 3" of rapid fire range isn't all that wonderful and nobody wants to sit back and plink away with mediocre BS plasma at long range. 

Will this transfer to the Leman Russ? Having a slightly longer ranged Punisher Cannon does sound nice.

Overall, the last two have been better. It would be just my luck to wind up playing all the least optimal factions, just by dumb freaking luck. I bet the T'au Bork'an sept will get rules that allow them to throw two photon grenades instead of one.

I will say that "repel the enemy" sounds cool on paper. Much like the pistol rule, though, I kinda doubt it will come up. There's hardly ever an instance where falling back and getting a Get Back in the Fight wouldn't be a better idea. 

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2017, 12:41:09 PM »
Yeah, this one is a little wah wah wah compared to the last two. We do get a look at the new conscripts tomorrow which may help the general feeling.
Drink
Knights Tippler