News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Does anyone have nice doctrine combinations for my new guard army?  (Read 2943 times)

Offline 'Mark'

• Major
  • Run them to the ground!
Once again I find myself in the process of building a new guard army (do you have that too, wanting to buy a few models for a veteran squad and ending up with a 1750pts army? *sigh* :-\), and just like my hive planet army I'd like to base this army on fluff rather than on effectiveness. So basically, I'm searching for a cool background and a nice set of doctrines.

I haven't got ANY fluff yet, but I'll base my fluff around the doctrines. The army is an all infantry mordian/praetorian army (but I'm not using the mordian or praetorian fluff) with a large amount of heavy weapons and rather limited in regular infantry squads (buying lots of heavy weapon squads is a lot cheaper than buying infantry platoons...)

So, what's your doctrine ideas for this army? The only fixed doctrine is heavy weapons platoons (and I might have to use grenadiers, but I'll try to finish a second platoon) I welcome your suggestions :D
« Last Edit: November 1, 2005, 05:37:22 PM by Lt. Terra's Guard »

Offline Federal Hero

Re: Does anyone have nice doctrine combinations for my new guard army?
« Reply #1 on: November 1, 2005, 04:30:00 PM »
Close Order Drill(for fighting in close quarters on the hive planet)

Heavy Weapons Platoons(To represent lots of heavy weapons)

Iron Discipline(Pratoreans and Modrians look so regimented, might as well show it in their doctrines)

Conscrpits(To represent hive militia or citizens)

Sharpshooters(An excelent doctrine for all of your heavy weapons. Can represnet their elite marksmanship.)

Just a few ideas,
Federal Hero
"Make Love, Not Babies"

Offline 'Mark'

• Major
« Reply #2 on: November 1, 2005, 05:50:19 PM »
Close Order Drill(for fighting in close quarters on the hive planet)

Heavy Weapons Platoons(To represent lots of heavy weapons)

Iron Discipline(Pratoreans and Modrians look so regimented, might as well show it in their doctrines)

Conscrpits(To represent hive militia or citizens)

Sharpshooters(An excelent doctrine for all of your heavy weapons. Can represnet their elite marksmanship.)

Just a few ideas,
Federal Hero

Thanks :)  I made this thread to get some random ideas on doctrines and fluff, so this is a good start. I'm looking for something a little more.. special, though. Both COD, ID and SS is still pretty.. standard, if you don't mind me saying so :)

Oh, and the Hive world army is my other fluff based army, sorry for the confusion. I haven't decided yet if this regiment comes from a  Hive world, civilised world or some other world.. But since I'm using expensive metal models, I doubt I'll be using conscripts... :P

Other ideas are of course still very much welcome. :)

Offline Lt. Colonel Nightblade

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: November 1, 2005, 08:56:59 PM »
You might have several squads of Grenadiers and a few of Light Infantry, a la the British army in the 18th century.

Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away the hoofèd liar.
Roof and door and block and beam, drive the Trickster from our dreams.

Member of the Board 18 Chain of Command.

Offline 'Mark'

• Major
« Reply #4 on: November 2, 2005, 08:41:21 AM »
You might have several squads of Grenadiers and a few of Light Infantry, a la the British army in the 18th century.

Mordians as light infantry?  Not sure if that'll work, if that's what you mean... I love the light infantry docrine, but I fear people will laugh me in the face if I tell them those troopers in parade uniform are experts at infiltrating.. :-\   

A little more on army composition: the platoon and command squads are(/have the ability to be) very mobile; lots of grenade launchers, flamers and meltaguns. Almost all of the heavy weapons are in about five heavy weapon squads (of which one or two mortar squads)  I might also add a veteran squad or something similar with either 3 flamers or meltas.

Offline Captain Leonidas

• Our Little Red Friend - Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Sword of Santiago
« Reply #5 on: November 2, 2005, 10:04:00 AM »
Mordians as light infantry?  Not sure if that'll work, if that's what you mean... I love the light infantry docrine, but I fear people will laugh me in the face if I tell them those troopers in parade uniform are experts at infiltrating.. :-\   

People used to laugh at the parade-dress wearing Jagers. That is until the jagers suddenly pop out of nowhere and line shoot you with volleys of breech loading rifles.

There's nothing to laugh about. Jagers used to wear elaborate dress like Mordian ones. And they inflitrate and kill stuff.
Signature Pending Update :P

Offline 'Mark'

• Major
« Reply #6 on: November 2, 2005, 12:18:03 PM »

People used to laugh at the parade-dress wearing Jagers. That is until the jagers suddenly pop out of nowhere and line shoot you with volleys of breech loading rifles.

There's nothing to laugh about. Jagers used to wear elaborate dress like Mordian ones. And they inflitrate and kill stuff.

Hm, you do have a point there. I'll paint a model to see if a Jagers colour scheme suits them. It would be awesome, a 120 men Jagers corps... but I'm not convinced yet it'll look good with mordian minis.

But I'm still very much open to other ideas. :)

Offline Lt. Colonel Nightblade

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: November 2, 2005, 10:41:56 PM »
Yes, ridiculous as it may seem, there were British LI units that were used to outmaneuvre/outflank/surprise the enemy, dressed in the traditional red coats.

Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away the hoofèd liar.
Roof and door and block and beam, drive the Trickster from our dreams.

Member of the Board 18 Chain of Command.

Offline wper34

• Echo! Echo! Echo! Colonel
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • What? ~nyo
« Reply #8 on: November 3, 2005, 02:33:59 AM »
Yes, ridiculous as it may seem, there were British LI units that were used to outmaneuvre/outflank/surprise the enemy, dressed in the traditional red coats.

Well... They *did* use that tactic despite dressing in something not blending to the surroundings. (I think it was back in American War for Independence from the British) The colours of the uniforms are merely for indicating which sides are they on.

But please let us not go further into the blood shed between American & British in this topic... ;)

Back to the topic... I want to add that having Hvy Wep Platoons in an all infantry army is a good idea as you can gain benefits from the extra long-range hvy fire power. This would allow you to be able to design some fully mobile infantry units (No hvy wep) into the army. Having a certain proportion of fully mobile units & static range units is one of the approach that you can take with "Hvy Wep Platoons". In addition, taking "Iron Discipline" & "Light Infantry" along with "Hvy Wep Platoon" can be very useful as you can make use out of the extra command squad & the Hvy Wep Teams can be very nasty through infiltration.

- One of my suggestion is to take "Rough Rider"... As you are having an all infantry army, you may want to add something that is fast to help the other slow units OR use them as reacting forces.

- The second thing is "Grenadiers + Veterans", and it is good for bringing out the flexibility of Hardend Veterans & Grenadiers.

- OR you can go all hvy infantry style by taking "Grenadiers + Ogryns". They can be very nasty as well since you are basing the army on the tough & fully mobile units. The pts cost for them maybe high, but within that army pts range you suggested (1750 pts), the problem of pts sinking units is slightly smaller...

- If not any of these... Then maybe you could try the new version of Tech-Priest Enginseers with 4 servitors. (Judge for yourself whether they are approved to be updated rule OR not)

But that is up to you... :)

Sentinel Commander of 34th Neros Regiment
My Army Principle: 1. Quantity 2. Quality 3. Variety
Anime Mecha Vocaloid (And Neko) Lover ~nyo

Hymirl... I think you'd better start eating reading the rulebook. :P

Offline Dr_Ruminahui

• General | Missing: a title, and smilies
  • Ancient
  • Inquisitor Psychologis Ruminahui
    • Some of my painted minis
« Reply #9 on: November 3, 2005, 03:05:38 AM »
Or you can take conscripts and either independent commissars or team them up with one of your command squads.  Conscripts (well, them and an armoured fist) are what I use as my mobile elements.

Inquisitor Psychologis Ruminahui
The rules forum rules - no spamming, no flaming, no playing devil's advocate
------
2007: Tied for Most Valuable Non-Staff Member (with Full Metal Geneticist)
2008: Nicest Member, Strategic Excellence, Best Imperial Guard Poster, Rules Expert
2009: Best Local
2010: Nicest Member, Rules Expert

40KO IG Best painted - Storm troopers & Chimera

Offline 'Mark'

• Major
« Reply #10 on: November 3, 2005, 10:26:28 AM »

The problem is getting people to allow me to use bright red troops as light infantry :P

Back to the topic... I want to add that having Hvy Wep Platoons in an all infantry army is a good idea as you can gain benefits from the extra long-range hvy fire power. This would allow you to be able to design some fully mobile infantry units (No hvy wep) into the army. Having a certain proportion of fully mobile units & static range units is one of the approach that you can take with "Hvy Wep Platoons". In addition, taking "Iron Discipline" & "Light Infantry" along with "Hvy Wep Platoon" can be very useful as you can make use out of the extra command squad & the Hvy Wep Teams can be very nasty through infiltration.

Yeah, I was getting similar ideas. (Also because Praetorian officers seem to scream "iron discipline")  I'm still not sure on the Mordian light infantry thing, though, but it's growing on me.

Edit: If I decide to go for the light infantry theme, I might base it loosely on this battallion, and give them a greenish uniform instead of a red one (there's a small picture about half way down the page), though that would mean I'd have to miss having 120 bright red figures deployed in close order drill...

- One of my suggestion is to take "Rough Rider"... As you are having an all infantry army, you may want to add something that is fast to help the other slow units OR use them as reacting forces.

Hm, though I love my rough riders, they're damn hard to convert. But I'll take it into consideration.

- The second thing is "Grenadiers + Veterans", and it is good for bringing out the flexibility of Hardend Veterans & Grenadiers.

- OR you can go all hvy infantry style by taking "Grenadiers + Ogryns". They can be very nasty as well since you are basing the army on the tough & fully mobile units. The pts cost for them maybe high, but within that army pts range you suggested (1750 pts), the problem of pts sinking units is slightly smaller...

Interesting. Never thought of Ogryns.

- If not any of these... Then maybe you could try the new version of Tech-Priest Enginseers with 4 servitors. (Judge for yourself whether they are approved to be updated rule OR not)

I was already going to try that one out with my other army ;D

Or you can take conscripts and either independent commissars or team them up with one of your command squads.  Conscripts (well, them and an armoured fist) are what I use as my mobile elements.

I love conscripts, it's just that even the thought of having to buy another 30-50 mordians/praetorians makes me go broke...

Offline Corm

• Yarg!
    • The Guild of Mute Assassins
« Reply #11 on: November 4, 2005, 07:55:27 AM »
I'd just like you to know that converting my Rough Riders to Praetorian Rough Riders is the most costly and annoying bunch of conversions I have ever started and so far not finished...thankful ly I have a game group that arent too fussy about the wysiwyg rule, within reason.

Offline Dr_Ruminahui

• General | Missing: a title, and smilies
  • Ancient
  • Inquisitor Psychologis Ruminahui
    • Some of my painted minis
« Reply #12 on: November 4, 2005, 09:14:37 AM »

I love conscripts, it's just that even the thought of having to buy another 30-50 mordians/praetorians makes me go broke...

Well,if you want to make them rablle, you could use fantasy Empire Militia.  Otherwise, yes, that many metal figures would hurt the pocket book... 8)

The rules forum rules - no spamming, no flaming, no playing devil's advocate
------
2007: Tied for Most Valuable Non-Staff Member (with Full Metal Geneticist)
2008: Nicest Member, Strategic Excellence, Best Imperial Guard Poster, Rules Expert
2009: Best Local
2010: Nicest Member, Rules Expert

40KO IG Best painted - Storm troopers & Chimera