News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: My VC special character/army fluff.  (Read 6650 times)

Offline Cripple, Whose Corporeal Form is Now a Shade of Blue

• Interesting....
    • My photobucket, full of all my wonderful WIPs and completed minis!
My VC special character/army fluff.
« on: December 5, 2008, 11:13:37 PM »
Okay, I posted this origionally on Carpe Noctem ( www.vampirecounts.net). But I'll put it here too. The character himself is meant for friendly games (I'm trying to convince Fifthwindlegion to let me use him in our on-hold Mighty Empires game) But the fluff is for all games. Anyway, I hope you like him. I'm not sure if I like how many points he costs, and the names of a couple of his magic items are the slightest bit iffy.

Oderic: King of the Godriks

Centuries before the birth of Sigmar, there was a mighty tribe of men known as the Godriks. Although all but their name has faded from history, there stilll exists vague legends of their king, Oderic. 

Oderic was, perhaps among the greatest men to have every lived, possibly even rivaling Sigmar. His people conquered relatively vast tracts of land in the northeasterrn border of modern-day Estalia. He was a harsh king, but fair. He believed strongly that his people's law was the highest power. He had one fatal flaw, however. His pride and hubris were well known throughout the tribes, and had on several occasions led his poeple into needless wars, and his neighbors were always careful not to sllight him.

It was after one such war that he recovered an artefact from the keep of one of his rivals keeps. A strange puzzle-box, fashined from a strange black iron, and adorned with strange patterns which one could not quite focus on.

A change was seen in Oderic after that. He became a cold (or, rather, colder than he already was), brooding figure. He often retreated to his inner chambers alone, to meditate over the strange object. his guards claimed they heard whispers coming from his chambers. Finally, after several weeks of this, Oderic emerged from his room one day clad armor that burned like a torch, wielding a sword that shone like a thousand suns. On his back was a cloak which seemed to show the night sky sky through it; some claimed that they felt a cold wind blow through it, or heard whispers from another age.

THe change was in more than just raiments, Oderic had returned to his people, but was full of newfound vigor. He spoke to them of the great things he would do. They would forge one nation out of the disparate tribes. Through them they would become gods among men, immortal, powerful. Buoyed up by his words, his people believed, unaware of how ironic his promises would become. For Oderic failed to mention the price, for everything had a price which one day must be paid.

His empire spread exponentially through the next few years. He even began to push through the grey mountains into what is now the Empire. At the hieght of his power, however, he fell. How this exactly happened has been lost to history.

Regardless, he failed, he and his people were killed, wiped away by their former "allies", men who coveted his kingdom. But that was not the full price. The Godriks now exist in a terrible unlife, and Oderic still walks the earth, his spirit driven half-mad with visions of what could have been.

Of his weapons and armor, it is said that his armor has burned out, and looks more like a dying ember than a raging fire. His sword too no longer shines with blinding light, but is now dark and dead. Of his cloak, no one knows, for it has been long-lost even to its former owner. Like his possessions, he has taken on the slow movements of a dying fire.

Some legends say that there is a way the old fires might be reignited

And if so, perhaps that is why Oderic still walks the world, refusing his own soul, and the souls of those who believed in his idea their rest.

Whatever the reason, if this legend is true, then the old world will tremble should he ever regain what he lost.

Oderic, Wight King of the Godriks: 320pts

M  Ws  Bs  S  T  W  I  A  Ld
4    5    0   5  5  4   3  4   9

Oderic counts as one Lord Choice.

Equipment: Sword of dead suns, Armor of dying coals, shield.

Sword of Dead suns:
The great heat that once eminated from this mighty sword is long gone. In its place is a cold eternal darkness that it's very presence saps the heat of life from those around it.
hand weapon, killing blow, before combat, any enemy models in base contact must take a toughness test or fight at initiative 1 for that round. For monsters and their riders, roll seperately. As usual a roll of 6 always fails.

Armor of Dying Coals:
This armor is a dead black. Yet, in its crevesses one can see a dull red glow, proof that the fire is not entirely gone. Further proof is given to those who strike at it, as a brief but deadly backlash of flames strike them
Heavy armor. Bestows upon the bearer a 5+ ward save. In addition, every time an enemy model successfully hits the wielder in close combat with a die roll of a 5 or 6, they take an immediate strength 4 hit, distributed as shooting, that counts as a flaming attack. 

Special Rules: Undead

King of bones:
Oderic's pride demands that he have full authority. Oftentimes an ambitious necromancer or vampire has believed to have Oderic under his will, only to find his "army" abandoning him at the most innopurtune moment.
Oderic must be the army's general, even if there is a vampire or a model with a higher leadership present. There need not be any vampire present in the army if Oderic is taken.

Death's knights.
The godriks were reknowned for how well-trained their fighters were. Those skills were not lost in death
One regiment of grave guard OR black knights may be fielded as a core choice per 1,000pts in your army (i.e. at 2,000 points a regiment of black knights and grave guard could be core OR two regiments of grave guard OR two regiments of black knights).

Elite bodyguard:
Oderic always went into battle with a circle of his best men. They continue to fight with him beyond the grave
One regiment of Grave guard OR black knights must be chosen to be Oderic's bodyguard. For +3pts/model, each gains +1WS, and may carry a magic standard up to 75pts instead of the usual 50. Oderic must begin the game inside this regiment. If black knights are chosen, then Oderic must pay for a skeletal steed.

Eternal Jealosy:
One of oderic's greatest faults, and one which grew particularly pronounced after the discovery of the puzzle-box, was an innate
 fear of usurpation. Indeed, he often charged recklessly at the enemy if he felt that he was being shown up by one of his subservients

Whenever another model in the army wins a challenge, Oderic (and only Oderic, not the regiment he is with)  immediately gains the effects of frenzy he loses this frenzy if he wins a challenge, but may still become frenzied again if another challenge is won.

It should have been me!
Oderic fully realizes that it could have been him who forged the first great human empire,(or at least, he believes he could have) rather than Sigmar. He takes his wrath at being so cheated on Sigmar's heirs
Oderic and any regiment he is with Hates anything from the Empire army list

Options:
Skeletal Steed: 15pts
Barded: 5pts
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 02:48:47 AM by Cripple, the Holiday Horror »

Win/loss since 8/26/09
                    W/D/L
40k Demons   4  0  0
Tau                2  2  2
vamp. counts  3  0  1
fant. daemons 7  0  1
skaven            1 1  1

Offline Perihelion

• In the 41st millenium, there is... LOVE AND PEACE!
Re: My VC special character/army fluff.
« Reply #1 on: December 6, 2008, 12:26:55 AM »
He's interesting for crafting a theme which ignores perhaps the best advantages of a Vampire Counts list, but I'm just a vampire guy, maybe you're a bone guy.

That being said, does Oderic take vampires as vassals/allies? No vampires at all means your army will not be able to march. That's pretty suicidal when you have no shooting attacks, and your range would come from magic, which is dominated by vampires in the Vampire Counts list.

Other than that, I find it a bit odd that a human, even an altered one, would have toughness 6. Even humans greatly gifted by the Chaos deities like Archaon, even vampire lords, heck even dwarf lords, don't have a toughness greater than 5. It does keep the idea that Wights are tougher than they are strong, though. I would be less empathetic to the dragons out there who jealously guard their T6 if said toughness was boosted by magic items, but that's just me.

Quirks aside, I really like the theme and humbleness you ahve in making the character. Oderic had great potential, but you brought him down to the level of mortals, powerful mortals, but not beardy cheese. However, his personality pervades his rules. Maybe I'll develop a soft spot for flaming/smouldering skeleton lords as well.
"The strength of your force may be calculated by multiplying its weight by its velocity. Strive always to maximize both and victory shall be yours."
-Commander Puretide, The Forty Second Meditation on the Way of the Warrior

Hell, get some personality and get something other than a Fireknife...

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #2 on: December 6, 2008, 09:05:46 AM »
I love the fluff and the idea. The only thing that might be slightly overwhelming is the T6 (T5 is plenty!) and possibly the Cold Sword thing affecting the *whole* enemy regiment. I would limit it to those who choose to attack him in close combat.

• Interesting....
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 02:55:39 PM »
Right, right... I guess there are a few things I need to edit.

About the whole vampire thing, actually it states in the army book that anything within 12" of the general may march. But you're right, having only him would be a little restrictive. I'll brainstorm how to make it better.

alright, I was a little iffy with T6 already, so methinks It's wise to change that.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 02:39:44 AM by Cripple, the Holiday Horror »

Win/loss since 8/26/09
                    W/D/L
40k Demons   4  0  0
vamp. counts  3  0  1
fant. daemons 7  0  1
skaven            1 1  1

Offline Raktra (So long, I guess)

• Skarboy | Ripper | Princess of Baal
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Armies: Grey Knights
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 06:03:27 PM »
I really liked him. Not stupidly overpowered as I have seen from most, but not puny. Nice rules and well balanced.

I do agree on a reduced toughness though. Kholek Suneater is the god of the mountain and he is T6 for God's sake! :D

• Interesting....
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 02:50:45 AM »
Alright, I've made some changes to his profile. I'm considering making it so that wight kings act like vampires (6" march), but I don't know how much I like that idea.

Win/loss since 8/26/09
                    W/D/L
40k Demons   4  0  0
vamp. counts  3  0  1
fant. daemons 7  0  1
skaven            1 1  1

Offline Vamp101

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 08:09:53 AM »
for oderik you could say that he has been around so long and through so many battles so that he could have soaked up so much dark magic that he can influence it directly or that the box corrupted him with dark magic that way you could give him a form of the vampire rule, also you should give him a modified version of the eternal hatred dark elves rule but for empire instead of just hatred
si vis pacem, para belum
if you seek peace, prepare for war

Offline Lonewolf

• Cthulhu cultist, The Final Solution | Swarmlord | Staff Soap Spotter
  • Ancient
  • Murdering armies since 2003 - retired since 2012
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 08:25:37 AM »

Digging up old, since long dead, topics and posting on them, especially without adding some remarkable new input into the discussion, is really poor netiquette, and the thread has now been locked. We like to keep current topics on page one of the forum, so dragging up older material is not something desirable. Please don't do that in the future. Thank you.
Have a nice day.

*Click!*

No problem, I'll give you a 100% increase in pay effective immediately and retroactive to 1999.