News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 2k All Infantry Trait SMurfs  (Read 1536 times)

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
2k All Infantry Trait SMurfs
« on: June 2, 2005, 07:11:49 PM »
Well these guys were originally thought up for the community Chapter thread but that went no where fast so I've had thoughts I've collecting them myself. However that'll have to wait until 1. I get more cash and 2. I get my High Elves.

Anyway, here's the list I'd intend to try to get for these guys along with their fluff.

The Clandestine Guard

Traits
Advantages
- ‘See, But Don’t Be Seen’ (The Clandestine Guard utilise surgical strikes to tear apart their enemies)
- ‘Honour Your Wargear’ (They use heavy firepower to take out their enemy before they can react)
Disadvantage
- ‘Have Faith In Suspicion’ (Due to their proximity to Chaos they do not trust Psykers)
Major Disadvantage
- ‘Aspire To Glory’ (They cannot afford to take their relics and sacred Dreadnoughts except under the direst of circumstances as their missions are high risk)

About The Clandestine Guard[/b]

Origins

The Clandestine Guard’s gene-seed originates from the Ravenguard. They employ a similar tactic to their founding chapter however they use their immense firepower rather than close combat hit and run attacks to overwhelm the enemy.

Home World

The Clandestine Guard are extremely secretive, even to the Inquisition. Because of this they have no home world, they travel upon their ‘fortress’ battle barge aptly named ‘The Emperors Illicit Vengeance’ which patrols the Segmentum Pacificus, never staying in the same place for long and moving immediately if they think they have been discovered.

Tactics/Organisation

As said before the Clandestine Guard use surgical strikes to deal punishing firepower to cripple their foes before they can strike back. This is not done in close range as they use their large amount of infiltrators to set up in powerful defensive positions rather than as close to the enemy as possible.

This tactic came about as they are used to facing Chaos cults of the human and Space Marine kind, meaning the quicker they are destroyed they less potent their taint is, for, despite their extremely secretive ways the Clandestine Guard detest wasting the lives of citizens of the Imperium and will act quickly to defend all of them from the taint of Chaos.

They also Heavily invest in versatile (Missile Launcher) Devastator squads and sniper scouts. They are usually an all infantry army, this is to make it easier to transport, maintain and also makes it harder for them to be spotted, however they do on occasion use Assault Squads and Land Speeders, however never bikes, terrain is too much of a hindrance to them and the Clandestine Guard pride themselves on being able to fight in any condition.

Enemies/Friends And Other Information

As has been sad before the Clandestine Guard are very secretive, this is because they were created to fight the Red Corsairs and Chaos taint in the Segmentum Pacificus and hence do not trust anyone, especially Psykers. They are weary of all Inquisitors and will demand said Inquisitor prove their loyalty and purity before they trust them fully, if the Inquisitor is a notable Psyker then they simply will not collaborate with them at all.

The Clandestine Guard do not use Tactical Squads for as soon as a Scout is considered ready they are initiated into Devastator squads.

2k List
HQ
Master
Storm Shield
Lightning Claw
Furious Charge
Infiltrate
=116pts

7 Space Marines
2 Meltaguns
Furious Charge
Infiltrate
=167pts

HQ=283pts

E
(x2) 8 Devastators
4 Missile Launchers
Infiltrate
Tank Hunters
=496pts (298/squad)

E=496pts

T
(x6) 8 Scouts
Missile Launcher
7 Sniper Rifles
=894pts (149/squad)

T=894pts

HS
(x2) 8 Devastators
4 Heavy Bolters
Infiltrate
=328pts (164/squad)

HS=328pts

Total=2001pts

Model Count=88

Opinions?

~MTWC
« Last Edit: June 25, 2005, 09:12:46 AM by Makenshi (Is On Sporadically) »
Quote from: IainC
Because spamming the hotkey for a Deathknight's weapon in WoW is precisely the same as learning to use a sword in real life. That's why when Kendo grandmasters fight, they just stand there shouting keystroke combos at each other.

Offline TheOnlySpiral

• Keeper of the Book of Salvation; Last of the Timelords
  • Ancient
  • Returned from the Immaterium
  • Armies: Deathwing
Re: 2k All Infantry Trait SMurfs
« Reply #1 on: June 2, 2005, 10:44:40 PM »
1. I like the infiltraiting list.  It reminds me of my BR list...lots of heavy firepower nice and close.  You're opponents won't know what hit them.  The Master is a good choice here.
2.  Command Squad: I don't really understand the master's equipment.  He really needs an Iron Halo, especially in a list this big.  Once his squad is gone, some nice AP3 weapons will make short work of an expensive charecter.  There is nothing wrong with the BP/Power Weapon formation for commanders, infact it works well.  I would playtest this equipment choice heavily before commiting to it.
Why are there Melta Guns in this squad? If you want to be assaulting I would give them flamers.  Flamers and a squad with BP/CCW with the furious charge would add a huge amount of CC power to this army.
3. Scout sniper squads are nice in an army like this. An excellant choice. 
Quote from: David Holland
The Point of the Game is to be Playing it.

Quote from: Devern, The Unsung Hero
Actually, it pains me to say this, but Spiral is right.

Offline Iron-Hand Ace

• I'm pretty sure that part's important . . .
« Reply #2 on: June 2, 2005, 11:05:01 PM »
An interesting list.  There's just one change I would make, and that's to make at least one of the Devestator squads carrying Plasma Cannons.  They cost an arm and a leg, and as many toes as you can spare, but when fighting CSM there is absouletely no better weapon.

The Infiltrators is a nice idea, particularly because you set up last.  This means you can very precicely apply your firepower where it's needed.  However, I would keep in mind that 1/3 of the time Infiltraitors will not be used, and make some contingency plans.

But I can tell you one thing for certian.  Any 'cheesy' eldar player with 3 Wraithlords is going to start crying after you deploy.
"Give me a hundred men such as this and I will win the battle.  Give me a thousand and I will win an empire."

Offline Genghis

« Reply #3 on: June 2, 2005, 11:14:13 PM »
An interesting list.  I'm planning something similar but with "trust your battle brothers" rather than "honour your wargear" so I can still cut it when my short-range firefight army is brought to CC.  How about a couple of teleport homers allowing the precision placement of Terminator squad - more firepower that can be placed at a key point in the battle, plus a little bit of CC power should you need to hold the enemy up.  Also, more importantly, as I understand it you can't give the Cmd squad infiltrate AND furious charge - it's choose one skill from the list (and "see but don't be see" is Tac and Dev squads only).
At sunrise we'll all dance the hempen jig
So raise up your pint of rum and take another swig
The curse of Captain Morgan has lead us to this fate
So have no fear and don't look back, the afterlife awaits

Offline Wuestenfux

• Veteran Force Commander
  • Ancient
  • Calculator of Off-Chances
« Reply #4 on: June 3, 2005, 02:38:57 AM »
Well, an interesting list.
Firstly, in terms of VP's the Command squad and the HQ count as two different squads. For this, I recommend to beef up the Command squad to 8 members. This squad should have a power fist just in case it encounters a tougher opponent.
Secondly, the number of Dev and Sniper squads in your list is really impressive. Enemy units will have a hard time to reach your front ranks. For this, auspexes would be useful.

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
« Reply #5 on: June 3, 2005, 05:47:26 AM »
2.  Command Squad: I don't really understand the master's equipment.  He really needs an Iron Halo, especially in a list this big.  Once his squad is gone, some nice AP3 weapons will make short work of an expensive charecter.  There is nothing wrong with the BP/Power Weapon formation for commanders, infact it works well.  I would playtest this equipment choice heavily before commiting to it.

Major Disadvantage
- ‘Aspire To Glory’ (They cannot afford to take their relics and sacred Dreadnoughts except under the direst of circumstances as their missions are high risk)

I can't take an Iron Halo, that's the only reason he has the equipment he has, Storm shield for some kind of Invul and the Lightning Claw as I may as well have two weapons that can't be used to get +1 A ;)..

Why are there Melta Guns in this squad? If you want to be assaulting I would give them flamers.  Flamers and a squad with BP/CCW with the furious charge would add a huge amount of CC power to this army.

I forgot to put down the BPs/CCWs, Meltaguns have a bit more range, hence why I chose them.

An interesting list.  There's just one change I would make, and that's to make at least one of the Devestator squads carrying Plasma Cannons.  They cost an arm and a leg, and as many toes as you can spare, but when fighting CSM there is absouletely no better weapon.

I don't think I could find the points, nor would I do it if I could, I do not like Plasma Cannons, a smart player will only allow you to pick off one person with each blast due to coherency rules and as you said they are expencive.

The Infiltrators is a nice idea, particularly because you set up last.  This means you can very precicely apply your firepower where it's needed.  However, I would keep in mind that 1/3 of the time Infiltraitors will not be used, and make some contingency plans.

I know, but not Infiltrating isn't a big blow for these guys, they can still set up defencively, Infiltrators is the icing on the cake, allowing me to pick exactly where I want me squads to be etc., without it I'll still be able to blow my opponents to hell.

An interesting list.  I'm planning something similar but with "trust your battle brothers" rather than "honour your wargear" so I can still cut it when my short-range firefight army is brought to CC.

Mmmm, I had considered that but with Honour your wargear I have infiltrating Missile Launchers with the stats of Lascannons against vehicles (except the AP of course) and a huge amount of fire power thanks to the 4 8 man Dev squads, 6 8 man scout squads and leader/commander , hence it'll be hard for them to get to my lines in the first place ;).

How about a couple of teleport homers allowing the precision placement of Terminator squad - more firepower that can be placed at a key point in the battle, plus a little bit of CC power should you need to hold the enemy up.

Termies=A lot of points, don't know when they're going to come, and I already have a SMurf army themed around them (The Steel Dragons).

Also, more importantly, as I understand it you can't give the Cmd squad infiltrate AND furious charge - it's choose one skill from the list (and "see but don't be see" is Tac and Dev squads only).

Good point, I'll revamp the whole Command Squad now, expect my new list soon.

Well, an interesting list.

Yup, I always try to make themed lists.

Firstly, in terms of VP's the Command squad and the HQ count as two different squads. For this, I recommend to beef up the Command squad to 8 members. This squad should have a power fist just in case it encounters a tougher opponent.

I'll amend that in the new list.

Secondly, the number of Dev and Sniper squads in your list is really impressive. Enemy units will have a hard time to reach your front ranks. For this, auspexes would be useful.

If I have the points I'll add it in but I doubt I will as to pay for the vet status to get them as well as the cost of them I don't think it's worth it, I'll put it on the Master though.

EDIT- Ok, here it is:

2k List[/b]
HQ[/b]
Master
Storm Bolter
Power Weapon
Auspex
Infiltrate
=100pts

8 Space Marines
2 Missile Launchers
Infiltrate
=184pts

HQ=284pts

E[/b]
(x2) 8 Devastators
4 Missile Launchers
Infiltrate
Tank Hunters
=496pts (298/squad)

E=496pts

T[/b]
(x6) 8 Scouts
Missile Launcher
7 Sniper Rifles
=894pts (149/squad)

T=894pts

HS[/b]
(x2) 8 Devastators
4 Heavy Bolters
Infiltrate
=328pts (164/squad)

E=328pts

Total=2002pts

Model Count=89

Heavy Bolter Shots=24

Missile Launcher Shots=16

Sniper Rifles=42

Bolter/Storm Bolter/Heavy Bolter Shots at 12"=70

Bolter/Storm Bolter/Heavy Bolter Shots at 24"=48

Opinions?

~MTWC
« Last Edit: June 3, 2005, 07:07:51 AM by Makenshi, The White Cloud »
Because spamming the hotkey for a Deathknight's weapon in WoW is precisely the same as learning to use a sword in real life. That's why when Kendo grandmasters fight, they just stand there shouting keystroke combos at each other.

Offline TheOnlySpiral

• Keeper of the Book of Salvation; Last of the Timelords
  • Ancient
  • Returned from the Immaterium
  • Armies: Deathwing
« Reply #6 on: June 3, 2005, 12:52:10 PM »
If I were you I might consider making the scout squads a little bigger and giving them a Heavy Bolter.  Sniper Rifles and Missile Launchers don't work well in my experience.  The Missile launcher is only ok at infantry, whereas the Sniper Rifles can't touch tanks.
Quote from: David Holland
The Point of the Game is to be Playing it.

Quote from: Devern, The Unsung Hero
Actually, it pains me to say this, but Spiral is right.

Offline Iron-Hand Ace

• I'm pretty sure that part's important . . .
« Reply #7 on: June 3, 2005, 12:55:52 PM »
How many of these models do you have?  I think the list is fine, though it will be expensive.  I think it'll be about 216$ for the scouts alone.  Or is this just for the fun of writing and examining a new army list?
"Give me a hundred men such as this and I will win the battle.  Give me a thousand and I will win an empire."

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
« Reply #8 on: June 3, 2005, 02:55:33 PM »
How many of these models do you have?  I think the list is fine, though it will be expensive.  I think it'll be about 216$ for the scouts alone.  Or is this just for the fun of writing and examining a new army list?

None yet, I plan to start them eventually though.

If I were you I might consider making the scout squads a little bigger and giving them a Heavy Bolter.  Sniper Rifles and Missile Launchers don't work well in my experience.  The Missile launcher is only ok at infantry, whereas the Sniper Rifles can't touch tanks.

I'll stick to the MLs, versatility and fluff reasons. Also 8-man scouts work well in my experience.

I'm going to revise this list some time tonight hopefully, give the Command Squad Heavy Bolters instead of MLs.

EDIT- 2k List
HQ
Master
Storm Bolter
Power Weapon
Auspex
Infiltrate
Combat Shield (Point Filler)
=110pts

8 Space Marines
2 Heavy Bolters
Infiltrate
=174pts

HQ=284pts

E
(x2) 8 Devastators
4 Missile Launchers
Infiltrate
Tank Hunters
=496pts (298/squad)

E=496pts

T
(x6) 8 Scouts
Missile Launcher
7 Sniper Rifles
=894pts (149/squad)

T=894pts

HS
(x2) 8 Devastators
4 Heavy Bolters
Infiltrate
=328pts (164/squad)

E=328pts

Total=2002pts

Model Count=89

Heavy Bolter Shots=30

Missile Launcher Shots=14

Sniper Rifles=42

Bolter/Storm Bolter/Heavy Bolter Shots at 12"=76

Bolter/Storm Bolter/Heavy Bolter Shots at 24"=54

Opinions?

~MTWC
« Last Edit: February 11, 2006, 07:45:48 AM by Allaidro Istarria »

Offline Dux Aurelius Elysius

• Lord Inquisitor Tempestus; Captain Buzzkill.
  • Ancient
  • A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time.
    • The Duke's Painting Table (my painting blog)
« Reply #9 on: June 4, 2005, 04:07:16 PM »
You've got a good amount of models in the list, and although the core of your troops are (comparitively) lightly armoured, most enemies main weapons still aren't going to pierce that.  You've got a good number of shots in there, and I'd laugh at the person who took the greater Daemon, because it really wouldn't last long, however your big problems will be that you can't move much if at all because it would be so crippling of your firepower, especially with your core units, because move them and none of them can shoot.  Additionally you could be introuble against horde armies.  The thing with bolters and other rapide fire weapons is when the close combat hordes get dangerously close, your kill potential is doubled.  The other bonus is that, because sniper rifles are pinning and you have so many, the enemy isn't likely going anywhere fast so it should keep their movement quite slow meaning you can pick off the nasties as the problem arises as most horde armies will have a relatively low leadership.  If you're against nids, make sure you use those sniper rifles to take down synaps creatures before anything else.
I carry with me an Inquisitorial Seal. It is a small, unassuming object contained in a neat box of Pluvian obsidian. It is a modest thing. Relatively plain, adorned with a single motif and a simple motto. Yet with this little object I can sign the death warrant of an entire world and consign a billion souls to Oblivion.

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
« Reply #10 on: June 4, 2005, 04:52:32 PM »
Yup, the things I need to wathc out for are bassies and other indirect fire-ordanance things and fast moving assault units.

Ok, after conversing with Fal on MSN I've thought of an alternative to this list, one with a bit more variety and one of my favourite units (well model) of all time in it.

At the expense of 2 Scout Squads I've added in an DH ][ Lord and retinue, plus a Vindicaire Assassin.

2k List
HQ
Master
Storm Bolter
Power Weapon
Auspex
Infiltrate
Combat Shield (Point Filler)
=110pts

8 Space Marines
2 Heavy Bolters
Infiltrate
=174pts

Ordo Malleus Inquisitor Lord
Null Rod
Storm bolter
Psychic Hood
Auspex
2 Sages
2 Gun Servitors w/ Heavy Bolters
2 Acolytles w/ Bolters
=185pts

As I said in the fluff, The Clandestine Guard don't trust Psykers full stop, therefore the only ][s they trust are non psychics, hence the Null Rod and Psychic Hood.

HQ=469pts

E
(x2) 8 Devastators
4 Missile Launchers
Infiltrate
Tank Hunters
=496pts (298/squad)

Vindicaire Assassin
=110pts

E=606pts

T
(x4) 8 Scouts
Missile Launcher
7 Sniper Rifles
=596pts (149/squad)

T=596pts

HS
(x2) 8 Devastators
4 Heavy Bolters
Infiltrate
=328pts (164/squad)

E=328pts

Total=1999pts

Model Count=83

Heavy Bolter Shots=36

Missile Launcher Shots=12

Sniper Rifles=28

Bolter/Storm Bolter/Heavy Bolter Shots at 12"=88

Bolter/Storm Bolter/Heavy Bolter Shots at 24"=64

Opinions?

~MTWC
« Last Edit: February 11, 2006, 07:46:23 AM by Allaidro Istarria »