News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1850 - Vanilla Marines - Mixed Bag, Competititve-ish  (Read 1429 times)

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
1850 - Vanilla Marines - Mixed Bag, Competititve-ish
« on: July 31, 2015, 11:50:37 PM »
Hi Folks,

I've been mucking about with the Vanilla Dex, trying to get something to work that's Blood Angels inspired, but without any Elite Jump Pack Troops. So... yeah.

Anyhow, I've come up with the following, using models I have at my disposal. I'd love to hear your thoughts, some things are kind of borderline. I'm pretty sure I'd go with White Scars, as I kind of want to be in Close Combat, but I also want to shoot stuff.

Slow Moving Core: The Razors and Dreads are a slow moving fire support group. Their purpose is to get to the midfield, claim an objective, and generally anchor the advance.

Tactical Squad [5]: Plasma Gun, Melta Bombs
Razorback: Lascannon + Twin-Linked Plasma Gun, Dozer Blade

Tactical Squad [5]: Plasma Gun, Melta Bombs
Razorback: Twin-Linked Assault Cannon, Dozer Blade

Dreadnought [2]: 2x Assault Cannon, 2x Storm Bolter

Fast moving harassment units: These can hurt a variety of units, and move quickly enough to engage them in cc. Once engaged, they can break off, allowing the slower support units time to move into firing range.

Chapter Master: Artificer Armour, Power Fist, Auspex, SM Bike, The Shield Eternal
Bike Squad [5]: 2x Grav Guns, Melta Bombs

Assault Squad [5]: 2x Flamers, Veteran Sergeant w/ Eviscerator

Librarian: Force Axe, Terminator Armour, Storm Shield, Melta Bombs
Assault Terminators [5]: 5x Thunder Hammer + Storm Shield
Storm Raven: Twin-Linked Multi Melta, Twin-Linked Lascannon, 4x Storm Strike Missiles

Oddball unit that I want to try: I've got some Death Company models that I want to try using, and Honour Guard seem like the best fit for them.

Honour Guard [7]: 3x Power Sword, 3x Power Axe, Thunder Hammer, Chapter Banner [PA]
Drop Pod: Storm Bolter

So what do you think? :)

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Re: 1850 - Vanilla Marines - Mixed Bag, Competititve-ish
« Reply #1 on: August 4, 2015, 09:25:55 AM »
This looks okay to me, but I do wonder how well you fare with the minimum 5-man tac squads. Do you find they actually anchor an objective? I would think they'd be pretty easily shot off of one. One of the main reasons I take full 10-man squads with Vet Sergeants is because, when I take an objective, I want them to stick on it. The temptation to take multiple cheap squads instead and, with the savings, buy myself a Terminator squad is fairly strong. I just feel squads that small can't last, and hence that defeats their tactical purpose.

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
Re: 1850 - Vanilla Marines - Mixed Bag, Competititve-ish
« Reply #2 on: August 4, 2015, 04:11:47 PM »
I find they last well enough, given that I expect them to stay in their bawks until it is wrecked... comfortably within a ruin.

I plow the Razor into cover, and fire away till the gooey insides fall out. That tends to be mid-game, by which time my Assaulty units are punching things that would be shooting / assaulting the small squads.

I'd prefer larger, but sometimes I need to move and fire, and Rhinos with dudes don't do that well enough in my Meta. Even without Maelstrom, my games are moving more often than not.

Also, when Knights get a stompin', the larger squads are not that much more survivable. 10 guys get ganked pretty much as easily as 5, when the Knights are double-tappin, HOW, Melee... stomps. MSU help to limit my turn by turn losses in those cases. :(