News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Oh ma gawd Greenskins!  (Read 1643 times)

Offline travisb7

• Ork Boy
Oh ma gawd Greenskins!
« on: January 8, 2013, 08:38:00 PM »
Hello all!

I just received in a GREAT deal a huge lot of Orcs and Goblins. I received the following:

~115 Night Goblins with Spears and Shields or Bows, several Fanatics, and a few netters, along with various command minis
21 Forest Goblin Spider Riders, Shields and Spears (BfSP)
15 Savage Orc Boar Riders, assorted weaponry
Night Goblin Boss (BfSP)
Night Goblin Shaman (BfSP)

Judging by the unit rundown on the server, it has yet to be updated to the newest book (8th?). I'm not much of a fantasy gamer, but I've got a nice amount of Dwarfs that I've painted up. I play Orks in 40k, so I have a healthy obsession with greenskins.

My questions is: is this a good starting point, and where should I go from here? I'm looking for an army that will help teach the basics of WFB with friends. I like the idea of war machines AND a Giant...

Thanks!

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
Re: Oh ma gawd Greenskins!
« Reply #1 on: January 9, 2013, 04:43:18 AM »
It does look like a sizable force of goblins and no mistake. That's always a good start. Might lack some punch (like the bigger orcs can provide) with a doomdiver or two, pumpwaggon, trolls and giant you should do better than fine. You have the basics for heroes too, including a magician.
Get an armybook, write up a proto-list of what you have, and see what is lacking. That should give you an idea as to what to get next.

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline Benis

• 77 Shades Of Decay | Lazerous Penguin | Death to the Emperor with a Pulse!
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Getkilling
Re: Oh ma gawd Greenskins!
« Reply #2 on: January 9, 2013, 04:55:19 AM »
A Goblin force will be a bit weak on leadership so be sure to get them a battle standard bearer. Night Goblins are great in hordes so try fielding one unit of 50 - 60 models, preferably with spears, and then make the other units with bows and what not as smaller support units, each should have at least one fanatic but two to three for some. The Spider riders and Savage Orcs are great options for a bit of speed and can hit quite hard, you might want to get a big boss in some of the units though since that extra power can come in quite handy. Other stuff that is good beyond what Rasmus mentioned would be goblin chariots, spearchukkahs and wolf riders.