News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: What made you get in to warhammer and what did you get first  (Read 26417 times)

Offline AcousticBanditx

• Ork Yoof
Re: What made you get in to warhammer and what did you get first
« Reply #40 on: November 3, 2010, 11:44:40 AM »
I started about 4 years ago when my friends needed a 4th to play a 2v2 game so I bought some chaos marines. Then I was reading my friend's copy of the hand book and said "Woah why didn't you tell me about dark eldar" and he said they were really tough to play. I didn't care I liked their fluff too much and decided to go for it. Played a few games (Won the 2v2 Necrons and DE vs CW Eldar and IG), then had to sell my army for college things. Now that I have money again I will be getting new DEs next week... I'm excited.

Offline The Fire Antz

• Archon in the making
« Reply #41 on: November 8, 2010, 06:21:34 AM »
Hi,
Just got hooked the other day actually. Was at a friends house and he had it all set up in his basement. I asked "Whats the story with this game...?"

After about 6 hours of play, I'm now here on the forums and am looking forward to building an army over the coming weeks.

I've chosen the new Dark Eldars. My friend had like 2K collections of Eldars, Imperial Guard, Space Marines and Blood Angels. Think I'll stick to 1 at this point  :)

Offline Dakkadahaka

• Newest
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #42 on: November 9, 2010, 08:59:39 PM »
Hmm, when was it? Sometime during the 90s (woo accurate, only had 3 decades of my existence to pick from) my elder brother came home from his mates place with exciting stories about a game of gorkamorka they'd played. He eventually purchased the guys old school orks, buggies, etc, and passed these on to me when he learnt about 40k and the most stabby looking race in the universe, Dark Eldar.

I tried convincing a few friends to start up the hobby too, saying "its like chess with guns", but with little effect.

I kept the vehicles when I built up a 2000pt army, but mulched the boyz into bitz when time came to buy the shiny new orks in a pretty hefty box set. Some bikes and truks and great orkzes to build and paint. I loved orks cuz they look so ragtag and bad@ss, and you can throw in non-GW bits with your conversions without it looking out of place. Suffice to say my killer kan used to house baked beans.

Unfortunately I left home and the boyz went into storage with his DE and some marines that were a recent purchase. Said storage building has since collapsed in a fire to coincide murfectly with the rekindling of my interest in the hobby. Can they be salvaged and save me hundreds of aussie redback in start-up costs?

We'll see ^_^

Offline Storm95

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #43 on: November 9, 2010, 09:28:26 PM »

Unfortunately I left home and the boyz went into storage with his DE and some marines that were a recent purchase. Said storage building has since collapsed in a fire to coincide murfectly with the rekindling of my interest in the hobby. Can they be salvaged and save me hundreds of aussie redback in start-up costs?

Ouch, that's gotta suck. I think I'd cry if any of my army was damaged.

I started when I was in about 5th grade, my friends were starting it and I fought against it, I didn't really care for it, and wasn't interested in it at all, despite their attempts to get me into it. However, I went over to my friend's house one day and they had models set up, suddenly interested my friend put me through a tutorial, to give me a taste, and I loved it! I've played for the past 4-5 years on and off (I'm 14 going on 15), really getting into it now that I'm old enough to really understand it all, and I've made some new friends who play it. I've also tried to get many friends into it, but not many are interested, some were but then quit (but hey that wasn't a total loss, I can't say no to a free land raider).

Offline Brex123

• The Grey Seer of the Greater Good
« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2010, 02:54:11 PM »
What first got me into Warhammer 40k was the RTS for it. My friend has Dark Crusade, and was passing it around for everyone to install it so that we could play LAN. I played that for a long time, and got really into the Tau. Soon after, I discovered that it was a tabletop game, and started by almost emptying the 'used model' cabinet of my local gaming store of all things Tau (luckily for my wallet, it was only about 3 Crisis Suits and 24 Fire Warriors). Two years, a battleforce, some random models and a forgeworld purchase later, I am where I am now, with a terrible win-loss record, but a ton of great stories.

Offline Duke Sliscus

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #45 on: December 5, 2010, 01:18:28 AM »
Oh, ive been into 40k for about 5 years now. I started with dawn of war, not knowing there was an entire story behind it, as well as a whole miniature range. I started with the necrons, then chaos, then space wolves, then guard, then came fantasy with skaven and dark elves. Finally, ive settled on Dark Eldar as my one and only 40k army. For those 5 years I could never find anyone to play the game with me. I tried to get my friends into it but they never seemed to care. Thankfully a hobby store a few miles away and I try to visit as often as possible, which usually means the weekends.

Offline Trevor Drake

• Ork Yoof
  • The Carnival has Arrived! Let Loose the WAGONS!
« Reply #46 on: December 6, 2010, 04:03:10 PM »
I started my love affair in early 2001, when my band class took a school trip to the Grapevine Mills mall, and I visted the Games Workshop, not knowing what the hell it was, just that the tables they had set up looked AWESOME! I harbored my wanting of plastic space men for years, until in 2006 our game store Realms of War (RIP) had opened and a friend invited me over for a game of yu-gi-oh (I know, how sad I was a dweeb). I saw people playing 40K in the corner, and was reminded of the models I had seen. That next week, I spent my ENTIRE paycheck on some Necrons, then bought some Imperial Guard, the Dark Eldar, then Eldar, then back to Imperial Guard, then to Space Marines, then to Tyranids, so on and so forth. The orks I recently started have been a constant love affair, but i have been scared to start them. Now I am going full in, and working on some Fantasy Warriors of Chaos.

If anyone has any pointers for WoC, please let me know, I would love to hear 'em.

Offline Juroda

• You don't play ping-pong; Ping-pong plays YOU!!!
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2010, 10:54:48 AM »
25th December 2007, Battle for Macragge, Painting Starter Set, White Dwarf... :)

Offline Starstrider3

• You shall not escape the Starstriders!
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2010, 12:11:22 PM »
I started the hobby in 2009, early August. A friend mentioned it to me so I thought I'd take a look. Originally, as a casual Tolkien fan I collected LOTR for the strategy game but quickly realised how popular 40k was and how unpopular LOTR was. :( I was looking at the various 40k armies and the Eldar just seemed to jump out at me. Christmas came and went and in the new year I found myself looking at the humble beginnings of an Alaitoc force...
"There is no corner of the galaxy that has not felt the eagle-keen gaze of Alaitoc."
Elarique Swiftblade, Autarch of Alaitoc

The Dark City A Dark Eldar Dedicated Forum

Offline Whose-Law-Anyway

• Over the Under
« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2010, 01:02:09 PM »
1994, I remember I was in Chelmsford visiting my Aunt and we came across a Gamesworkshop. Went in and were given two armys (brother also played) from the display cabnet to play with the store manager.

Ultramarines vs Eldar as far as I remember. Anyway didnt have a clue but it was fun and next birthday that came a 2nd edition of 40k was baught.

The first army I collected.... Blood Angels, still remember going to "The Model" shop on Capel Street (Dublin) and buying lightning & Thunder claw terminators for £2.00 (old Punts) as GW hadnt a shop in Ireland yet.
Energy is an eternal delight, and he who desires, but acts not, breeds pestilence.

Do what you will, this world's a fiction and is made up of contradiction.

Offline Juroda

• You don't play ping-pong; Ping-pong plays YOU!!!
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2010, 01:54:45 PM »
Dublin
Woohoo! Btw, there are only 3 or 4 GWs in Ireland now, and two of em are in Dublin...

Offline Marauderk

« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2010, 01:55:27 PM »
    Well i had been out of gaming for a while because of moving out to the middle of nowhere, Move closer to a town that had a gaming store and went in to play some BattleTech only to find that nobody played anymore and everyone played the evil Warhammer 40k.   

After watching for a while and being in a much better financial position to buy the stuff ( when i was younger who the hell would pay that much for little plastic men. ) i picked up the Space Marine battle force and it all grew from there.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done"." - George Carlin

Offline Astartes Inquisitor

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2010, 01:50:19 PM »
I got into Warhammer 40k about 2 or 3 years ago. A friend of mine who played Necrons and read the novels let me borrow his Space Wolf Omnibus to read since I was out of books to read. It was my first Warhammer novel. So the Space Marines and the Wolves will always be favorite. I am just now recently getting into the table top game and am trying to purchase some Space Wolves.

Offline DAKKA DAKKA

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2010, 05:01:49 PM »
july 17th 2008

when i was 12 i was in leamington with my mum and i passed games workshop . i went inside and had an intro game and had a free painting session then about 3 weeks later it was my BIRTHDAY ! and for my birthday i got a (what ever edition we're on now , i think 5th) warhammer 40k rule book , an eldar battle force , a wraithlord , avatar and a squad of striking scorpions . i chose eldar because i liked the look and when i was in games workshop someone was playing with eldar and i just liked them  :P      and i've never looked back . and eldar rule in low points limit tournaments ( 500 - 800 RULE!!! )

Offline Chie Satonaka

• Fsteak
« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2010, 06:13:20 PM »
Not a newbie, but I never did post anything in here, so it's about time I did. :-\ Well, I was introduced to 40k by the video game Dawn of War. I saw some of the models, looked on Wikipedia for some background, went to the GW website, and over the course of about a year or two I was actually buying the models. My very first model I bought was the Land Raider, because I loved the model and the way it worked in the game.
Play League of Legends? Send me a friend request: IGN: "IRiseAgainstYou" NA server.

Offline Iridescente

• Sognando sotto l'arcobaleno
« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2010, 07:20:57 PM »
I believe I started around '88 or '89.  I used to play D&D with my brother and cousins, and that led us to local hobby stores.  One time in the mall game store, I saw the White Dwarf mags sitting on the rack.  Flipping through them, I fell in love with their range of minis, and quickly bought issues 98, 99, and 100 (not on the same day, but close to it.)  Although originally we got the magazines for the fantasy models, we ended up all getting into space marines and pretty much each got the original box of 30 plastic space marines and my older cousin got the rogue trader rule book.  We stuck with the hobby until some time into 2nd edition.  I went through several armies but ended up loving the Eldar above the others and sold or traded off most of my other stuff.  Somewhere along the lines we all trailed off of the game for some reason or another.  (High school, probably...)

Fast forward to several months ago - my brother and I were talking and WH40K came up.  Before we realized it, we fell in love with the idea of playing again and ordered the AoBR box set, an Eldar battle force, an Ork battle force, and a few other bits here and there.  The past couple of months we've been finding parts of our old armies that were lost in storage, and it's like finding long lost treasures.  And now here we are again (and now we can actually properly afford to play.)
Just playing along,
Bourhgen

Offline Maverick1

• WHERE IS HE??
« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2010, 09:37:07 PM »
About halfway through last year I started. I'd collected the lord of the rings strategy battle game magazines for 2 years before that in 05 I think? After that I went onto the games workshop website, looked at all the 40k stuff and thinking 'Wow, that's cool.' Only last year I bought my first box of Cadian troopers, and the rest, as they say, is history.

Offline Brynjolf Irontooth

• I hate personal texts.
« Reply #57 on: January 2, 2011, 07:46:17 PM »
A friend at school was reading in a WHF 5th rulebook, a couple of weeks later I started collecting Dwarfs;D

I started playing WH Fantasy (Dwarfs) in 1999-2000 I think?

I started playing 40k as well since 2004, going with Space Wolves.

And even before my Dwarfs, I already played Heroquest (somewhere since 1996 I think, first footsteps into GW).

Greets
BI
I hate signatures.

Offline Sixthflame

« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2011, 12:26:32 AM »
I went over to one of my friend's houses to check out his new guitar set-up (Including a Gibson SG, I've moved onto Hagstrom Guitars, but that's another story...) and I noticed he had some little painted figurines. He is an amazing artist(those Eldar helped him get into the art school he wanted to go to) and despite the fact that I can't read my own writing , let alone paint, I was interested.

We happened to be heading into the city the next day and I picked up a Necron Battle force at GW. I wanted something that was competitive and was easy to paint so since he didn't know how badly Necrons got hit in 5th, I took his advice. We played a couple of games and then he left for school.

That was Dec 2008. 

I've just recently gotten into actual 40k though(Nov,2010), and have dropped the Necrons for the models I fell for for. I'm probably going to have a lot of poorly painted Eldar, but I'll hopefully get better in time.

Offline Erickson153

• Newest
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2011, 11:12:23 PM »
My school had a Warhammer 40k club, so I thought it would be cool if I joined. Luckily, the 20 dollar fee paid off. I don't have a lot of money, so I have to stall my army's progress for a while.