News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Yet another list for review & comment (1500 pt Space Wolves)  (Read 339 times)

Offline 40kfomPodmaster

• Succubus
Yet another list for review & comment (1500 pt Space Wolves)
« on: January 29, 2008, 08:20:00 PM »
Was thinking of dusting off my wolves . . . and I've been playing around with Army Builder.

Here's a list, put together mainly because (1) I've just finished making the 3rd Drop Pod, (2) I have 2 Vindicators sat looking at me undercoated and not painted (do I paint them up as Wolves?), and (3) I like the idea of fielding Characters / HQ's with pets(!)

HQ1: Ven Dread, AC / DCCW, Drop Pod
HQ2: Wolf Priest, Bike, PW, Wolf Tooth Necklace, 4 Fenrisian Wolves

T1: 10 Grey Hunters, 1 Melta, 9 Bolters, 1 PF, 1PW, Drop Pod, Wolf Totem
T2: As above but no totem
T3 10 Blood Claws, 2 PF, Rhino (EA, Smoke, Dozer Blade)

FA: Blood Claw Bike Squad (4 strong; 1 Melta, 1 PF)

HS1: Vindicator
HS2: Vindicator

So here's (how I see) the deal: Vindies deploy, cover BC advance in Rhino (and blow big holes in stuff), Bikers and Wolf Priest (& his pets!!) harrass / support / outflank, enemy suddenly has bolter-toting / AC death drop pod in close to / behind them.

My one concern is Anti-Armour...fitting in a few heavy weapons in a Long Fang sqd maybe...

What do you guys think?

(NB: Not played with wolves much since my beloved 3rd Ed Rhino Rush army...sadly missed  :'()
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 08:21:07 PM by Relentless »

Offline Mr.Peanut (Turtleproof)

• Ride Like Lightning, Crash Like Thunder | Infinity Circuit | Pork Sword of Mod-Justice | Took the basket, nuts and lol | Good grief, ye hennie pennies
  • Ancient
  • Turtleposting At The Speed Of SHift
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Sigmarines, Chaos, Demons
Re: Yet another list for review & comment (1500 pt Space Wolves)
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 01:22:30 AM »
I wouldn't use Longfangs, unless you want to use a 2 Lascannon + 2 Heavy Bolter configuration (the Heavy Bolters being there as the redshirts).  You could cram more Meltaguns into the Bloodclaw Biker squad if possible, but they don't shoot so well anyway.  Really, it's up to the Vindicators to rush in close and try to squash things (you could give them Hunter Killer missiles as a 1st turn forlorn hope, though).
You are
What you do
When it counts
     -The Masao
"Getting what you want can be dangerous.

Offline Wuestenfux

• Veteran Force Commander
  • Ancient
  • Calculator of Off-Chances
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 10:36:02 AM »
The army contains several assault elements: Rhino, Bikers, Drop Pods supported by Vindicators.
These elements are hard to coordinate. Therefore, I'd replace the drop pods by Rhinos. This gives you a wall of 3 Rhinos and 2 Vindicators. This forces the opponent to make a decision what to shoot first.
Rhinos will become better in the 5th ed.
The alternative would be to field a fully drop podded army.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 10:37:11 AM by Wuestenfux »

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 03:50:18 PM »
Although its a good idea to leave the Dreadnought in a pod...
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014