News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1000points space wolves  (Read 2890 times)

Offline Fuegan

• Death to those who oppose us!
1000points space wolves
« on: August 13, 2002, 06:33:49 PM »
here is my 1000points army:

HQ Wolf Lord + bike, frost blade, wolf tooth necklace, Belt of Russ

Elites
4 wolf guard + bikes, tooth necklace's, 3 power weapons, power fist, Bionics

TROOPS
10 blood claws + Rhino+storm bolter , power weapon, power fist
10 Grey Hunters + Rhino+storm bolter, 2 plasma pistols, 2 power weapons.

lord and guard race up the middle to get into combat fast bionics incase any get killed on the way up. Blood claws and grey hunters move up the sides in the Rhinos.

what do u think?
over the white cliffs of Dover there is a lovely beach 300 meters below which can be reached in 3.2 seconds.

Ulthwe Strike force   wins:7    draws:0    loss:1

Wood Elves             wins:7    draws:1     loss:4

Chaos                     win:1     draws:0     loss:3

Please visit my site at www.craftworld.s5.c om

Offline spacepiper

• Soul Rebel
  • One Love; Bob Marley
    • EldarOnline
Re:1000points space wolves
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2002, 10:18:07 PM »
Err.....Umm....Whoa .

First off, your army isn't Legal. You must have 2 HQ choices, one for each 750 points. That means that you have one for the first 750, and another for the other 250. I would suggest that instead of using that decked out Wolf Lord, who must cost atleast 150 points, get a Wolf Priest and a Venerable Dread. The Ven Dread is too good not to use, and plus he counts as a super wicked HQ choice. Second, the Wolf Priest is a total bargain, because you get a Power Weapon and the 4+ Inv. Save.

Second, the Wolf Gaurd have got to go. Together with the Lord, thats almost 500 points. For that many points, you cna get your 2 HQ that you need, plus you can have some other stuff, which should probably include a Predator with Lascannon Sponson for some solid anti-tank support, and then maybe... a small squad of scouts, or whatever else suits your fancy.

Trust me on this one, the Bikers won't last anywhere near long enough to make up for their points cost, because they will get so far out ahead of the rest of your army that they will get cut off and eventually either shot up or hacked apart. And the bionics and stuff are a complete points drain.

Plus, you only have 3 units in a 1000 point game. That means only 3 units MAX to hold things like objectives and table corners. You really should have at the very least 6 units in an army this size.

If I were you, I would think about an Army more like this:

HQ Options:
Wolf Priest
Venerable Dreadnaught
Wolf Guard Battle Leader

Elite:
Small unit of Scouts

Troop:
Grey Hunters with Rhino
Blood Claws with Rhino

Heavy:
Pred. Destructor w/ Lascannons

Oh yeah, it would be a good idea to have your Wolf Priest join the Blood Claws, so only have 9 of them, and then the WP can ride in the Rhino with them.
“The ends you serve that are selfish will take you no further than yourself: but the ends you serve that are for all, in common, will take you into eternity.” –Marcus Garvey

Offline Bezerker

• Blood for the Blood God!
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2002, 12:53:46 PM »
Dude you haven't read the codex have you yet? You round up for that second HQ choice he woul donly have 350 pts and would need atleast like around1150 pts or something before he needed another one. I dont' knokw, but I know your wrong.
The Throne was a mile high. Constructed of ancient brass and bare, bone white skulls. A river of blood twisted around it and followed down a long brass road to meet the throne. The place was lite only from the white hot fire which erupted from time to time, a evil forge. As I approached the top I lo

Offline Wolf Raider

• Wolfraider's Den
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2002, 04:57:46 PM »
berserker: ..."You round up for that second HQ choice he would only have 350 pts and would need atleast like around1150 pts or something before he needed another one"...

That is a common mistake.  Space Wolves must have 1 HQ for each 750 points or portion there of.  So at 751 you must have two HQ choices.  The codex states you must have one HQ for each 750 points round fractions up.  So take 751, (or whatever you point total is) divide by 750 (in this case it is 1.0013 and round UP to the nearest whole number, which is 2.  You do not round (off) but UP.

I also agree with the Ven Dread and Priest mounted with the BCs.  If you don't want a tank, but need some mobile heavy weapons, attack bike squads with multi-meltas are fun.  Wolf scouts are definitely a good choice.

Wolf Raider's Den
http://pages.prodigy.net/basilisk
« Last Edit: August 14, 2002, 04:58:31 PM by Wolf Raider »

Offline spacepiper

• Soul Rebel
  • One Love; Bob Marley
    • EldarOnline
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2002, 09:56:36 PM »

Dude you haven't read the codex have you yet? You round up for that second HQ choice he woul donly have 350 pts and would need atleast like around1150 pts or something before he needed another one. I dont' knokw, but I know your wrong.

Berserker, next time you tell someone that they're an idiot, make sure that you really are right, because when you jump all over me when I am right, you make yourself look even stupider. And yes, I have read the Codex.
“The ends you serve that are selfish will take you no further than yourself: but the ends you serve that are for all, in common, will take you into eternity.” –Marcus Garvey

Offline wellard

• Master Gunner
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2002, 10:01:21 PM »
right i'm going to disagree with everyone about the bikes

reasons are:

a] the new assault rules

b] they look right(?)

however use bloodclaws not wolfguard

something like this

WGL bike and frostblade
5 BC on bikes + as many weapons as you can (cann't cheek the codex as its in another country!!!!)

wellard
They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old. Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn. At the going down of the sun and in the morning.

We will remember them

Offline spacepiper

• Soul Rebel
  • One Love; Bob Marley
    • EldarOnline
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2002, 09:13:03 PM »
Even though the new assault rules make the bikes better, they still aren't as good as a normal Blood Claws squad with a Rhino. They cost about the same number of points, and it makes no sense to buy a 30 point bike for a 14 point model. If you absolutely insist on using bikes, just get 3 and use them as Wolf Gaurd, since they get all the crazy good weapons for cheaper.

Offline Fuegan

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2002, 01:30:46 PM »
where can i find these rules for the assault and bikes?
over the white cliffs of Dover there is a lovely beach 300 meters below which can be reached in 3.2 seconds.

Offline Fuegan

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2002, 01:31:33 PM »
where can i find the new rules for the bikes and assault

Offline spacepiper

• Soul Rebel
  • One Love; Bob Marley
    • EldarOnline
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2002, 10:07:18 PM »
It's on the GW website under Chapter approved, it will be in White Dwarf this coming month.