News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Not The Nought! an Ork Special Mission  (Read 2309 times)

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
Not The Nought! an Ork Special Mission
« on: August 7, 2014, 01:06:22 PM »
Waaaaagh!  Since I built a kustom Morkanought but can't justify using it in a regular game, I thought a quick down and dirty scenario mission would be fun.  And since I wrote just that I figured why not share it with the community?  This scenario is designed for two Ork armies of 750-1000pts to be played between two friendly gamers.

Fluffy Bitz
[spoiler]The notorious Bad Mek Outcast Fidbuk drove his Buggy into the Ork shantytown of Drzz for a pint.  Drzz was an odd town, and for Orks that’s saying something.  For years the various Ork leaders had forged an uneasy alliance with one another, both biding their time before inevitably betraying one another in a gruesome death match.  None yet had the upper hand, although this was soon to change.

“Oi, you knowz what I’ze been doing?!” Screamed a drunken Fidbuk.  “I’ze been building a Nought, the biggest baddest stompiest thing this little world haz ever seen!  So you’ze gonna give me one more drink, or I’ze gonna come back ‘ere and flatten this bar to da ground!”

In an instant Fidbuk was hit with a slugga round, his head exploding before he had time to even drunkenly slurr a murmur of pain. The race to steal the Nought and rule the town for good was on!
[/spoiler]

Set Up
6x4 table with a Modified Hammer and Anvil deployment (at maximum each side can deploy 12” from the table edge).  Place several patches of Terrain about, and a G/M-orkanought in the center of the table as the Primary Objective.

Primary Objectives
Man the Machine!
Get an UNENGAGED Mekboy or Big Mek in base contact with the G/M-orkanought for a single game turn.  At the beginning of your next turn, if the Mekboy/Big Mek has survived and has remained UNENGAGED, he is removed from the table and you gain control of the G/M-orkanought.  Gaining Control of the G/M-orkanought grants 3 Victory Points.

Nought for Sale
If your opponent has taken control of the G/M-orkanought, you must attempt to destroy your prize.  Should the G/M-orkanought become Wrecked, it becomes a static 3 point Objective.  Should the G/M-orkanought be instead Destroyed, you gain 2 Victory Points.

Secondary Objectives
First Blood
Linebreaker
Blood and Gutz (Tactical Objective #52)
Assassinate (Tactical Objective #64)

Game Length
The Game lasts 6 Game Turns or less, first turn decided by roll off.

Mission Special Rule: Mek Madness
For the purposes of this Mission you may take up to 3 Mekboys as a single HQ choice.  All other rules/regulations for the Mekboyz apply.

So what you guys think?  Does this sound like a fun scenario you'd like to play?  If so have at!  Or if you have any ideas on how to improve it send it my way, I'm going to be playing this scenario next week with my roomie before he leaves for University and I'm already working on building up some extra Meks for this mission.  I'm also debating if the side that doesn't take the Nought should receive something like outflanking Koptas or Buggies for some balance, input would be nice.

Peace
~OD
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard

Offline Ork E Nuff

• Ork Boy
  • 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go!!!!!
  • Armies: Orks, SM (occassionally)
Re: Not The Nought! an Ork Special Mission
« Reply #1 on: August 7, 2014, 05:59:44 PM »
OD:  Even with your disdain for the G/M-anaught, I think this is a brilliant, playable scenario.  I would play it.  I even like the added koptas or buggies as an added "reserve" bonus for the player who fails to get the gargantuan construct.  I think giving the non-controlling player reserve forces that equal the points cost of the objective balances out the slug fest.  I like the 3 mek special HQ...shouldn't cost too much and you can have some interesting combinations for fire power.  A big mek would be great as well, but the one I run usually costs about 150 pts; I guess I could drop the SAG...  I would opt for the 1000 pts game; it would appeal to me to be able to beef up a unit or 2 so I survive the initial fight in the center of the table. 

Now...if I had one and a willing opponent...where did I put those tankbustas....
Blood n Guts is nuffin more dan bio-d-gradible axle grease.....Remember, that which does not kill you, will only try harder the next time...I've named me attack squig "Skippy"....is that wrong?

Offline OD from TV

• Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 8, 2014, 01:31:17 PM »
Its not so much disdain on my part, its more like anguish.  I want to like the G/M-orkanought, I do, but in the White Dwarf everyone kept saying twinlinked rokkits which it doesn't have, the official model's legs do not convey a possibility of the machine actually being able to walk, transcap is a waste and only increases the points on a model already overcosted for my purposes, since it isn't a Lord of War/Superheavy it can't fire its weaponry at different units, and even with the new self mutilating nature of boyz a unit of 30 shootas with a PkBosspole Nob comes in around the same points (if not less) and is much more survivable.

But I don't mean to complain about it, I'm sure that given time I'll accept it, and a mission like this one is perfect grounds to give it a go.

I even like the added koptas or buggies as an added "reserve" bonus for the player who fails to get the gargantuan construct. 
Yeah the more I think about it, the more I like the idea too.  I want to try and re-balance a bit but not too extensively, after all it won't be super easy to get a Mek in base contact for a whole turn unengaged and I do want to reward that while at the same time not handing them the game.  I think I've put together a more thought out idea for an Optional Rule that adds some balance back, especially since in such a small game where the first turn(s) are really based on speed.

Optional Special Rule: Junk it Now!
When one player successfully obtains the G/M-orkanought, the opposing player rolls D3+3.  This is the number of Buggies or Koptas with twin Rokkits that are immediately placed in his Reserve (note not ongoing reserve, just reserve).

I would opt for the 1000 pts game; it would appeal to me to be able to beef up a unit or 2 so I survive the initial fight in the center of the table. 

Now...if I had one and a willing opponent...where did I put those tankbustas....
1000 points used to be my wheelhouse, now days it seems like a very limiting pointcost, hazard of getting long in the toof I suppose.  One of the benefits of a small point game like this one though is that it becomes more of a challenge, and at the same time if you are in a situation like me its relatively easy to loan out 750-1000 pts to a buddy for the match and still be able to have two small and effective armies.

Best of luck on finding someone to play with Ork E Nuff, I think this is gonna be my most fun mission with the 7th Edition yet

As for playing this match, I'm not going to lie, I think it's a real touch choice between Tankbustas and Lootas.  Sure the Tankbustas give you some great firepower if your opponent manages to nab the nought, but Lootas can glance the nought to death turning it into a static objective, which if you're lucky will be closer to your frontlines since it would be rare for an opponent to backtrack a giant walking death machine with a superklaw.

Peace
~OD
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 08:24:35 PM »
Looks like a fun scenario. I think you can find a similar one in the old battle missions book, only it was a baneblade. (maybe a different book but one similar, when I get the rest of the way unpacked I will see if I can find it.)

I seem to remember that the limiting factor was that it only had enough fuel to make one move, and turning on the spot counted. So you might want to have the 'anought facing a short board edge, and the capturing player only gets one move with it, and only one shooting phase as it is low on ammo, or something like that. This way you don't have to make the reserve rule with buggies/coptas. Then the game becomes a king of the hill game in the middle of the board for the objective, and those are always fun.

If it was me, I would let you capture the naught so I could get the buggies for free, then kill it with my wrecking ball trucks, but that is just me and my slight disdain for the kan wall style of play.

Hey, its your scenario, so try it both ways, one with the full use of the 'anaught, and one with limited use of the 'anaught.

Let us know how it goes, always fun to see how others play, maybe I will plagiarize erm, uh, I mean "borrow" your idea.
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 05:19:36 PM »
If it was me, I would let you capture the naught so I could get the buggies for free, then kill it with my wrecking ball trucks, but that is just me and my slight disdain for the kan wall style of play.

I think the word you mean is not disdain...  more like fear or phobia of kan wall after seeing what they did to your fire trukk brigade.   lol

It sounds like a fun scenario.   Not sure the Nought is really that terrifying though.   A stompa would need to be limited.   

Would be interesting to play reguardless and now that I got my gork/morkanaut maybe i could try it, although i am going to try to give him some LED's during the build process so doubt I will attempt to build him anytime soon.

Offline OD from TV

• Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 07:04:49 PM »
Looks like a fun scenario. I think you can find a similar one in the old battle missions book, only it was a baneblade. (maybe a different book but one similar, when I get the rest of the way unpacked I will see if I can find it.)

Huh, maybe I'm getting better at coming up with special missions if its similar to a published one.  I like the idea of limited fuel or limited ammo, although I don't think I'll play this mission with either.  I dig the concept though, and I will be using those ideas for future homebrew missions.

It sounds like a fun scenario.   Not sure the Nought is really that terrifying though.   A stompa would need to be limited.   

Would be interesting to play reguardless and now that I got my gork/morkanaut maybe i could try it, although i am going to try to give him some LED's during the build process so doubt I will attempt to build him anytime soon.
Best of with the LED nought AoD!  And if you or anyone else would rather replace the nought with a Stompa in this mission, feel free to (although I would definitely add the proposed "Junk it Now" rule and limit its weapons and/or movement).

At the moment I don't know if I'll be playing this or any other game for some time, a few days ago I suffered a pretty horrible loss.  Not a game loss, my display cabinet imploded destroying or breaking over 1/3rd of my entire model collection.  I'm kinda still in shock, it was kinda dramatic sitting down and hearing the three shelves full of models behind me collapse into themselves.  I have to remind myself I'm lucky that there are 'survivors' models that didn't break or only require minor work.

Right now I can't look at any models, in a few days I might just have to write up a Fixin it project in the build board.  If anybody does end up playing this mission I'd love to hear how it goes, its something that would really raise my Orky spirits.

Peace
~OD

Offline Baron Wastelands

• Loota
  • Orks/Necrons in 6th
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 05:46:02 AM »
OD - massive sympathies, I live in fear of this happening; I have 3 display cabinets and am in the process of building a 4th, but the glass terrifies me since I dropped a shelf on my foot and cut a tendon ... making the latest out of perspex, but am worried about a similar collapse.

Anyway, I hope the damage is not too extensive, and that your favourite/most heavily converted survived unscathed. I did once drop a container full of careful packed mostly comverted metal figures, and nearly wept as all the joins burst apart, but with careful repair it didn't take too long to get them back, and I even ended up making some improvements on the way.

If you lost anything oop and can't restore it, post what it was, and I'll rummage around to see if I can help.

P.S. like the mission, by the way; I don't own a naught yet, otherwise I'd gladly play and report ... perhaps I'll try and proxy.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 05:49:44 AM by Baron Wastelands »

Yellow is the new Green . . .

Offline CheesyRobMan

• Burna Mek
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 03:34:37 AM »
:(   that's awful, hope you manage to get into the fixin' soon. I have a glass display cabinet too and now I'm going to be paranoid...
"Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" - Marvin the Martian

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 08:39:42 AM »
I feel your pain, I too once lost a buntch of models, more to my own ignorance rather than a freak act of nature, so I know what is is like to have to piece through your collection and try to repair it all again.

On the other hand, it is what got me started kit bashing, an addiction inside an addiction, so I guess it turned out for the better. Look at the positive side, now you get to re-re-kit bash a whole third of your army  :o

I still have handfulls of metal bits, so if you have lost any and really need it, let me know, and if I have it then I can send you a relief package...
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak