News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Vespid crisis suit -update (painting begins)  (Read 21167 times)

Offline web ghost

• Lookit me! I did something useful!
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • "Beware of this and that" -Edward Gorey
Re: Vespid Stealth/Crisis suit idea?
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2007, 10:45:37 AM »
thanks dudes.  and thanks Sojung for that link.  I've never seen or heard of that guy before.  Cool stuff.  I'll have to look through his work more thoroughly later on.  I found the Sub Hunter under the robots section.  It is quite similar with the large back, weedy arms and legs and a central eye.  What may not be noticeable in the pics of my miniature is that there are actually two sets of eyes on the 'face'.  There is the large one on the bottom and then there is a smaller one on top as befits Vespid with their many sets of eyes.  The second one is up under the ridge that extends down.  The piece is the back half of the target lock.  the front half went to my heavy fusion crisis suit.

Yes, the stealth armor part near his head needs to be integrated into the carapace.  As of now, it sort of looks like a pilot sticking out the front.  I haven't quite figured out how to do it yet.  I like the semi circle that the capapace and the stealth head create as the sort of end of the carapace.  I'm thinking of adding the wires that Vespid have on their torsos to that area.  there are actually two sorts of carapaces.  the ridge like carapace of the shoulder pads, the back and the ridges that come up underneath the head and then the body itself.  I haven't decided yet whether to make this body part Tau tech or organicish.  I think what will probably happen is I will go with the flow when i start sculpting in that area. 

on the weapon.  if you can picture it, the whole thing can simply be turned upside down and mounted that way.  the back end, the part that slopes down sort of on the curve of the shoulder pad is not really attached or integrated yet.  I could take that off and add something else and mount it upside down (that was the orientation i had in mind as i was building it.)  That way, the thicker part that encloses the crystal would be on top.  In order to do that though, the wire at the back/top would need to come off and the whole thing would need to be mounted further forward to allow room for those two cylindrical things to not get in the way of the shoulder pads.  thoughts?  As is or upside down?

later WG

Offline web ghost

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2007, 06:56:05 PM »
sort of blended the stealth suit area into the under carapace a bit.  added little stabilizer circle thingy doo dad.  the green stuff around that area looks sketchier than it is.  But I will be cleaning everything up later on.    the space between the little circle and the stealth head is where the antennae will come from.  added large wires to the sides which you can't really see.  they needed to be large as I moved up the shoulder pads a bit and needed to pin them in.  Belatedly, I realized i should have filed off the tyranidy ribs that were there.  Can't really reach without screwing other things up.  The wires went over the ribs.  started in on the legs a bit.  just the basic shapes so far.  I have only done this stuff to this one side.  Hmm? 

should there be Tau symbols on the front of those shin guardy things?  the GS is still wet. 

later WG

Offline sojung

• For the Motherland!
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2007, 07:45:53 PM »
How about Tau symbol between the 'head' and the 'hump'.

Or like a badge of office on the front face/chest guards.

I think the limbs should be sufficiently stay 'vespid'.

sj

Offline web ghost

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2007, 08:11:56 PM »
Gotcha on the staying Vespid thing. 

Late in game idea!  Crystal stud/spike things coming out from the undercarapace a bit?  Help power the suit.  One could imagine them glowing when the suit flies or lands or fires its weapons.  A couple on each side?  say around a third the size of the crystal in the neutron cannon. 

later WG

Offline sojung

• For the Motherland!
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2007, 08:44:50 PM »
I guess you can have some next to the jump jet at his back.

And anywhere else should be good, as long as he's not 'encrusted' with it lol.

sj

Offline maxxev

• I am a Xenos collector
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2007, 04:49:53 PM »
Hi, this is great stuff an as a big fan of the vespid models I would like to know the parts lits of nid bits you've got here please (i'm not great with nid minis).

Might just have to steal this idea.... if you don't mind!

Cool stuff here.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 05:31:53 PM by maxxev »

Offline web ghost

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2007, 06:35:14 PM »
thanks for the interrest.  I've been avoiding working on the thing.  though i do have some updates which perhaps I'll post later. 

Nids list is simple:  One Tyrant Guard.  Head carefully drilled and hacked out so I can use it for a nice chaos trophy; love those Tyrant guard models.  Tail cut off and pinned into the postion it is in now.  arms hacked out from the shoulder pads.  thats it. 

still trying to figure out how the weapon will work.  the way it is built in the pictures won't work as the tail end of the thing will get in the way of the wings.  I have several different configurations going.  upside down, different back piece etc., etc.  I've been thinking of a way to mount some hard point things on its shoulders so that I could swap out secondary weaponry.  plasma guns would look cool.  and then have the main weapon hand held or integrated into her claw.  Not sure.  Probably not though.  All I know is that the Vespid neutron cannon will 'count as' a fusion blaster.  I was thinking it could double as plasma cannons depending on the pitch of the wings.  these might be too much fire power for that one cannon though.  I don't and won't have enough parts to make the same cannon twice for a while.  the original idea was to have two of them but I think one is enough.  Still in development and all ideas are welcome.

later WG

Offline maxxev

• I am a Xenos collector
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2007, 03:27:06 AM »
Hi, from a rules perspective, couldent you just make it a crisis suit armed with both weapons (plasma and Fusion) but just use the one weapon to represent it... I suppose the only issue there is if you put ... the thing that lets you fire both weapons in a hard point (it's been a while since i actually played a game...)

The only other thing I can comment on Is i'm a little worried that if the Vespid is actually in teh suit that it's legs (with the joints they have) might not be able to fit inside the suite. However I admit that I havent had time to read all the above (mainly just look at the pictures (I was looking for a parts list thouggh, I did see mention of hte tyrant guard just didnt twig that that was all of it!)) . So if i've missed mention of it being a martriach or something please forgive me.

Offline maxxev

• I am a Xenos collector
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2007, 04:48:06 PM »
err don't mean to bump but you mentioned haveing an update....  ;)

Offline Random Guardsman

• For The Angelus!
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2007, 05:28:25 AM »
Yes I too would like to see an update. No pressure just.... well.... Do it!
I have CDO, it's OCD but in alphabetical order the way it should be!

Offline Ares

• Non can withstand my wrath!
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2007, 12:28:30 AM »
Just the way it is right now, it kind of reminds me of the Aliens from the movie "Independence Day".  That may just be me, but I'm just saying that.

Anyway, getting back to the main discussion.  It looks great so far.  The only thing I can see wrong with it so far is the shoulder area where the plates are.  Keep up the good work, because it looks great so far.

Quick question too, what are you using as the tail/stinger?

Armies- W/L/D
Tau (2000 pt under construction: assembling & painting) 1/2/1
Space Marines 1800 Points: Dark Angels (under constructions: finish painting) 6/2/2

Madefactaque sanguine radix purpureo tingit pendentia mora colore.
The root soaked with blood tinges the hanging fruit with a purple color.
-Cicero

Offline Triszin the Wrath God

« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2007, 12:39:04 AM »
actually ares is kinda right, atm its looking like one of them high telepathic aliens form independence day. hey thats an idea, make him choke a imperial guards man!

Offline maxxev

• I am a Xenos collector
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2007, 03:17:02 AM »
The tail is a Tyrant guard lower half sawn off an turned around... there are only 2 models involed in is entire constuction so far, a Tyrant guard and a Stealth suite (weapoon not included in that, there is certainly some XV8 bits in there)....

Offline web ghost

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2007, 06:47:31 PM »
Yes I too would like to see an update. No pressure just.... well.... Do it!

ask and ye shall receive.
Nothing great.  started working on the left claw and the leg a bit.  the GS obviously needs to be cleaned up a lot.  the claw will have a second carapace over this one.  though it won't be too large.  the claws themselves, which aren't too easy to see in the pics are SM knives.  The weapon, still much a WIP, is just stuck on there w/ a bit of GS.

later WG

Offline sojung

• For the Motherland!
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2007, 07:51:14 PM »
I'm just wondering... since he is already quite a tall figure, if the gun ought to be something that the holds on to with his hands... something like the old stealthsuit XV15's (I think that's what they are called); with a armature to hold up the gun.

sj

Offline web ghost

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2007, 08:57:30 PM »
I have been considering that.  Sort of the claw integrated into the gun -held off to the side a little bit and two hard points for smaller weaponry on the shoulders?  I'll do a concept drawing and see if it looks cool.

later WG

Offline diluted

« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2007, 10:53:29 PM »
he is looking wicked at the moment! i dont have any suggestions on how to change it because he looks sooo mad!
**98% of the teen population has smoked weed, if you are the 2% that hasn't, put this in your signature.**92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.
Metal is what we love.

Offline maxxev

• I am a Xenos collector
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2007, 02:59:12 AM »
I hope you don't mid... after all cpying it the greatest flattery, but I started on mine last night....

Can I ask you please what kind of wire are you using for the legs and arms (i mean is it something specific) the wire I have for conversions at the moment is MUCH thinner than that and bends easily..

Cheers

Offline web ghost

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2007, 03:33:14 PM »
Um.  I don't really know what it is.  Thick gauge is all.  I bought it a long time ago for those trees that are in the background but it was too thick.  there was one extra thick tree which now sits at my work table and loses limbs to conversions everyonce in a while.  a trip to the hardware store will do.  I recommend getting thick stuff though as on thinner stuff, it will move around more when you are trying to sculpt.

later WG

Offline web ghost

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2007, 01:51:06 PM »
OK.  some updates. 

Vespid Neutron Canon is almost done.  I flipped it upside down (the way I originally wanted it to be) cut off the wire that was preventing it form being able to be mounted that way and stuck it on the back.  the butt of the gun is now the end of a burst cannon with the circular part cut off.  because the plasma rifle bit with the two little cylindrical things juts into the shoulder pad, the whole thing had to be mounted a bit high.  perhaps too high but oh well.

I also added a hard point. so weapons can be swapped.

(had a pick of a swapped weapon but forgot to load it or something) 
question is do I add one to the other shoulder as well.  stuff like twin linked plasma cannons or burst cannons would look really cool though I probably wouldn't use them very much.  targeting arrays and such could also go there.  It would look cool but it creates a little more of a boxy look.  I like the curviness of that one unmarred by tech side.  thoughts?  if I chose not to do hard points, I could integrate the neutron cannon directly into the shoulder so that it wasn't removable/swappable.  I could probably make it better this way.
did some other stuff too.  the fist is coming along.  too large?
heres a pic for size of the suit comparison.  its not as big as it looks.

later WG