News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1700 Points - Something different for me.  (Read 2253 times)

Offline Halollet

• My halo grew a mullet...
  • Armies: Grey Knights, Guard, Sisters, Tau, & Tyranids
1700 Points - Something different for me.
« on: December 19, 2013, 10:53:23 AM »
I'm 2-3 in an ongoing trouney right now and I'm learning a lot about my army and how I play.  From everything that I've learned about me I've made a new list based on my style of play.  There are just a few things I'm not too sure about.

Commander - 194 (Calm down Wyddr!  ;) )
Missile Pod x2 Vectored Retro Thrusters Target Lock Shield Drone x2 Puretide Engram Neurochip Iridium Armour Onager Guantlet
Commander either goes with Crisises or Riptide.  Crisis to help mutalated trasports like Wave Serpents or to go with the Riptide to make it a bigger pain in the neck while hunting either tanks or other MCs.  I play my commander very aggressively, so having him a tank works for me.  I use him to soak up wounds that would otherwise murder my Crisis suits. Onager Guantlet has no tactical value what so ever, but I'm in love with it so it stays. Its like that really comfortable t-shirt with all the holes that your wife wants you to throw out.
Riptide - 275
Early Warning Override Stimulat Injector TL Fusion Blaster Ion Accelerator Shielded Missile Drone x2
Big annoying beat stick.  Hunts MCs with Commander or just sits there with 4 shield drones blasting stuff.  This is another benefit to the iridium armour because of the majority toughness rule.  The unit will have 3 6s, 2 4s, and 1 5.  So the only way to drop the toughness below 6 would be to somehow take out 2 of the 6's without killing either of the 4s. :D
Crisis Team x3 - 219
Missile Pod x4 Shield Drone x4 Shas'vre with Spectrum+Node
Primarly targets tanks that jink, but any other tank will do.  Can get tank hunter from Commander should I have to face off against 4 wave serpents again.... *shudder*
Stealth Suits x4 - 159
Shas'vre with Markerlight & Target Lock Gun Drone x2
Infiltrates forward and dakka dakka.
FireWarriors - 249
Puls Carbines Shas'ui Gun Drone EMP Grenades
DevilFish Disruption Pod Flechette Discharger
Moves forward along with Riptide and dakka dakka.  EMPs I'm not to sure of at all but the abilities to take out any tank/walker I come across sounds good to me but will the first thing I cut if it doesn't work.  The one gun drone is to get its initive so if I need to run away its just that much easier.
FireWarrior x8 - 97
Shas'ui Markerlight & Target Lock
FireWarrior x8 - 97
Sits back in cover, shoots stuff and markerlights things for seeker missiles and cover denial.
Kroot x10 - 90
Sniper Rounds Kroot Hound Shaper
Infiltrates forward and hunts MCs.
Skyray - 130
Disruption Pod TL Smart Missle System
Marklight and seeker missile fun!
Hammerhead - 191
Railgun Submunition Rounds TL Smart Missle System Seeker Missilex2 Long Strike
This is my first time with Longstrike, really not sure if he's worth the points but that tank hunter ability and the fact that his seeker missiles have it too.... He might just be worth it.

In my back field I have the 2 smaller FW squads, Crisis suits, and the 2 big tanks.  Running forward I have the Devilfish, Riptide, and the Kroot and Stealths are already there. Commander is where ever he is needed most.

At 1700 points, am I missing anything?  Did I over look something?

Let me know what you think!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 10:57:32 AM by Halollet »
One sure mark of a fool is to dismiss anything that falls outside of his experience as being impossible.

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Re: 1700 Points - Something different for me.
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 09:20:47 AM »
Assuming my standard 'you pay too much for your stuff' objection is noted, I think the list looks okay. I'll be interested to hear how the Carbine FWs might function. My instinct tells me the extra cost probably isn't worth it, but then again there are few easier ways to knock out a vehicle than in assault.

Also, the Shaper isn't worth it at all. I'm also skeptical of the hound (outflank is reasonably reliable as-is and, if their job is to snipe stuff, you probably aren't outflanking them anyway), but that brings me back into 'you pay too many points for stuff.'

Off the top of my head, I could save you 210 points for a very marginal loss of effectiveness. That's a *lot*.

Offline Halollet

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 09:43:57 AM »
Assuming my standard 'you pay too much for your stuff' objection is noted, I think the list looks okay. I'll be interested to hear how the Carbine FWs might function. My instinct tells me the extra cost probably isn't worth it, but then again there are few easier ways to knock out a vehicle than in assault.

Also, the Shaper isn't worth it at all. I'm also skeptical of the hound (outflank is reasonably reliable as-is and, if their job is to snipe stuff, you probably aren't outflanking them anyway), but that brings me back into 'you pay too many points for stuff.'

Off the top of my head, I could save you 210 points for a very marginal loss of effectiveness. That's a *lot*.

.............210 points..... that is a lot.  Sir, you have peaked my curiosity.  Please continue! :D
One sure mark of a fool is to dismiss anything that falls outside of his experience as being impossible.

Offline The Unseenly Invincible

• Without laughter there is no slaughter
  • Armies: Nonimperial guardthings, and some blue communists
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 08:14:40 PM »
I'm not entierly certain that this is what Wyddr had in mind, but what I'd cut is:

Shnaz on the Commander - namely Vectored Rectro Thrusters (usually a point sink, and if you play it right, he really shouldn't be either running or in combat), Onager Gauntlet (refer to the previous point that he really shouldn't be in combat), Iridium Armor (kinda meh, given how expensive it is and it slows you down)

Shnaz on the Riptide - namely stimulant injector (it might save you a wound over the course of the game... not worth it) and the sheilded missile drones (they could be fine... if they were 10-15 points cheaper. Otherwise, an awful point sink).

Various markerlite shnaz - on the FW squads and the stealthsuit ones. All of them have a rather partly BS to be entrusted to reliably hit markerlights. And the FW should be moving around anyway.

Various fatty upgrade shnaz - EMP grenades, spectrum and node, Shaper etc. are all situationally useful, but you could cut all of this for moar points, which, in tau, should equal to moar gunz.

Also, a few personal preferences: I'm not a particularily big fan of shield drones, given that gun drones are so much more effective as both additional gun-platforms and meatshields.

I would take either sniper ammo on the kroot or a kroot hound depending on what role what you want to them to play. If you want them as an outflanking/artillery ninja'ing unit take a kroot hound (for the acute sense), or as you mentioned, if you want them as a MC suppression unit, then take sniper ammo. One or the other, but not both.

Finally, I'd cut both Long Strike and Seeker Missiles. The former tends to be only useful if you're up against guardsmen or, otherwise, simply not worth it, whilst Seeker Missiles... hmm... once again, situationally useful, but you could spend the point better elsewhere.

I'm not really saying any of your choices are bad, I'm just saying that you could cut a lot of situationally useful items and replace them with various, non-situationally useful gunz.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 08:16:51 PM by The Unseenly Invincible »
Always absent from school... | Tzeentch's Teddybear | Making Guardsmen aerodynamic since 2003! | Yes, it will hurt. No, I don't care | In Soviet Russia Guardsman kills you

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 09:07:13 PM »
Okay, here's what I'd drop from your list and why.

Commander - 194 (Calm down Wyddr!  ;) )
Missile Pod x2 Vectored Retro Thrusters Target Lock Shield Drone x2 Puretide Engram Neurochip Iridium Armour Onager Guantlet

Okay, you aren't going to like this, and we've discussed it before, but just to reiterate:

Vectored Retro Thrusters: As Unseenly Invincible says, these only come in handy when you've screwed up and you frequently don't live long enough for it to matter, anyway. Ditch them.

Shield Drones: I do like Shield Drones, but no unit really needs more than two. Since this guy is going to live with the crisis suits (and only the crisis suits--he does not belong on his own and you should never have him do it except as an act of pure desperation), you don't need the drones here. You could keep them here, I guess, but in any event I'm cutting 4 shield drones from your list.

Iridium Armor: You really and truly don't need this half as much as you think you do, especially since your commander should never ever be going it alone.

Onager Gauntlet: Waste of points. Your commander does not exist to punch things. If he winds up punching things, I am forced to ask why a jetpack wielding dude with long-range missile pods is getting close to anything at all.

Commander Savings: 59 points

Riptide - 275
Early Warning Override Stimulat Injector TL Fusion Blaster Ion Accelerator Shielded Missile Drone x2

Okay, first off your Riptide is hard enough to kill all by his lonesome--he needs no defensive upgrades. Secondly, you *want* people to shoot at your Riptide, because he can take it and he loses nothing by losing wounds. All of these defensive upgrades simply mean nobody will bother shooting at him (unless they're dummies), which is the exact opposite of what you want. On a side note (not a points thing), Smart Missiles I feel are better than Fusion. This guy has no business being within melta range of anything.

So:

Stimulant Injectors: Only worth the points if you do something weird, like take the Heavy Burst Cannon and are Nova Charging its gun every turn (that's an average of two FNP saves a turn and two nova malfunctions). As it stands, it is WAY too expensive for its benefit.

Shielded Missile Drones: See above about 'wanting people to shoot at it'. When you're rocking the Ion Accelerator, you're firing the big pie plate every turn (or you should be). The Drones, with their crap BS, do not add much to the huge template, seeing as you're only averaging 1 hit per turn of firing and this means you just aren't doing damage to tanks or terminators, which is the Accelerator's targets of choice. I could *maybe* see taking a target lock on the Riptide to keep them shooting at other stuff, but they still suck at any job but soaking hits and the Riptide doesn't need the help.

Riptide Savings: 85 points

Crisis Team x3 - 219
Missile Pod x4 Shield Drone x4 Shas'vre with Spectrum+Node

Ditch two shield drones, since two is plenty.

Spectrum + Node gives you two abilities you can get without having to pay the premium of a Shas'vre. Here's what to do:

Crisis Suits x3 w/Twin Linked Missile Pods, 2 Shield Drones

Yes, you have two fewer shots. Yes, you don't get to ignore cover for free. You do, however, have access to markerlights for the cover and you get the twinlinking even if a certain guy dies. Also, since the Commander is going to stay with them all the time (all the time.), they get four more shots plus get the Tank Hunting from the Puretide. That's plenty, especially since I just saved you 69 points.

Crisis Suit Savings: 69 points
 (savings to date: 213 points!)

FireWarriors - 249
DevilFish Disruption Pod Flechette Discharger

A while ago I tried to think of units that would assault my tank and kill it but would be stopped from killing it by a Flechette Discharger. I came up with one unit: 5 Wyches with Haywire Grenades. After that, I ditched them. Keep the EMPs if you want--I'm curious to see how they work and I think they might have potential. If somebody has flechette dischargers, don't sweat it--you'll probably only lose 2 guys and still blow up the tank. Also ditch that Gun Drone, because the Devilfish comes with two for free and they are much, much better.

Firewarrior Savings:
24 points

Kroot x10 - 90
Sniper Rounds Kroot Hound Shaper

Shapers are among the worst unit upgrades in the entire game and always have been. For a couple more points you could have three whole additional Kroot which would add a lot more to the unit. Ditch him.

The Kroot Hound is there in those (rare) instances where you absolutely need your disposable crew of bird men to pop out on a flank and rapid fire people with their crappy weapons, miss, and then stand there with a stupid look on their face before dying in a shower of alien goo. Seriously, if you have to outflank, the Kroot are good enough at it by themselves--the reroll is rarely necessary and the hound serves virtually no other purpose that matters. Kroot upgrades are like putting racing stripes on a bulldozer.

Kroot Savings: 20 points
Savings to date: 257 points!

Hammerhead - 191

I'm not 100% sold on Longstrike, but if you want to try him out, be my guest. The seeker missiles, though, aren't going to come in handy too often. If you have points lying around, that's one thing, but they are the kind of purchase you make to fill out those last few points because nothing else is needed.

Hammerhead Savings: 16 points.

Total List Savings: 273 Points

This is a crapload of points, as you can no doubt see. This is a whole additional carbine in fish unit plus change. This is 5 Fusion Piranha + change. This is a whole additional Riptide (if you had the slots--shame that). This is a Sunshark + a unit of Pathfinders. This is a second Hammerhead + another unit.

All of these cuts make a few of your units less resilient, but not so much that you'll notice too much. You won't notice because you'll be flooding the board with more threats and making the threats you have less threatening. It will be harder for the enemy to select targets and you'll be hitting him with more stuff that works all the time as opposed to 'on a rainy day'. About the only shooting you lose is a handful of Strength 7 shots, and if you feel that strongly about it, you can easily buy yourself another 10 Kroot + 3 Krootox and still have enough left over for another Skyray.

Offline Halollet

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 09:16:13 PM »
I'm not entierly certain that this is what Wyddr had in mind, but what I'd cut is:

Shnaz on the Commander - namely Vectored Rectro Thrusters (usually a point sink, and if you play it right, he really shouldn't be either running or in combat), Onager Gauntlet (refer to the previous point that he really shouldn't be in combat), Iridium Armor (kinda meh, given how expensive it is and it slows you down)
VRTs are there because for the most part the commander is probably going to go with the Riptide as the spear head to my army.  Being able to get the big guy out of combat, which is where he keeps ending up, is golden to me.  Again, comes down to how I play.  The durability of a riptide is insane and the ability to not have him tarpitted is amazing.  And the Iridium Armor does not slow you down anymore, you're thinking of the last codex. 
Shnaz on the Riptide - namely stimulant injector (it might save you a wound over the course of the game... not worth it) and the sheilded missile drones (they could be fine... if they were 10-15 points cheaper. Otherwise, an awful point sink).
Speaking about he riptide; The Stims are there because I do find they save me 2-3 wounds a game which has kept him alive in many games.  Its the same reason why I take the drones with him, to make him as tough and as dangerous as possible.  I used to keep him in the back taking pot shots at the enemy, but I found out that I'm much better with him running forward and stomping things.  Is it expensive? Yes. Is it worth it for what I can do with it?  Hypothetically yes, all the evidence points that way.
Various markerlite shnaz - on the FW squads and the stealthsuit ones. All of them have a rather partly BS to be entrusted to reliably hit markerlights. And the FW should be moving around anyway.
Well, here's the thing.  When I had a marker light team, they just got annihilated first or second turn.  I figure hiding them all over will allow me to still have them later in the game.  But... that's annoying and really inefficient but at least they might live to turn 3.  I'm open to suggestions on this front!
Various fatty upgrade shnaz - EMP grenades, spectrum and node, Shaper etc. are all situationally useful, but you could cut all of this for moar points, which, in tau, should equal to moar gunz.
I was never big on the EMP to begin with so yea, those can go. 
Specturm and node; They are really nice to take down skimmers or is the skyray good enough?
Shaper is there for the Ld.  But now I'm thinking that all these points for Ld upgrades could just go towards an ethereal....

Also, a few personal preferences: I'm not a particularily big fan of shield drones, given that gun drones are so much more effective as both additional gun-platforms and meatshields.
I'm on the fence about them, but I keep getting reminded why I like them when they start ignoring wounds from a necron death ray for example. 
I would take either sniper ammo on the kroot or a kroot hound depending on what role what you want to them to play. If you want them as an outflanking/artillery ninja'ing unit take a kroot hound (for the acute sense), or as you mentioned, if you want them as a MC suppression unit, then take sniper ammo. One or the other, but not both.
Hound showed up because I had 5 points left over with nothing to spend on it.  He will be dropped if I can find something better to spend the points on.
Finally, I'd cut both Long Strike and Seeker Missiles. The former tends to be only useful if you're up against guardsmen or, otherwise, simply not worth it, whilst Seeker Missiles... hmm... once again, situationally useful, but you could spend the point better elsewhere.
Rerolling the armour penatration on a single shot weapon is really good.  I'm not sure if its worth longstrike's point cost, but it just might be. 
I'm not sure how I follow your logic.  How is a cover ignoring krak missile with tankhunter situational?
I'm not really saying any of your choices are bad, I'm just saying that you could cut a lot of situationally useful items and replace them with various, non-situationally useful gunz.
I agree about the fact that I may not have enough guns.  My old list through was rendered partially useless when going up against a mechanized army.  I might be over compensating.

--------Edit----------

@Wyddr

Commander:
Good point about the shield drones, so I'll drop those. 

I still find myself cursing every game that I don't take the Iridium so that has to stay.  Maybe I'm not the best player and that's my crutch for now but at least its not a land raider!

VRTs are for the riptide.... but if I leave him with the crisis then yes I would drop that.  Or drop that if I needed the points for something else.

Onager is for the LoLs and nothing else.  I have fun using it and that's the whole point of any game is to have fun!

Riptide:
I find he's best suited in the middle of the battle field from turn 3 on.  Hence the defencive upgrades.  He becomes this physical barrier that the opponent has to deal with because I send him after big things and I can get line breaker with him too.

I thought that the SMS would be the better choice for him too, but in practice he's always shooting at big tough things that the SMS really dont' do anything to.  Fusion has a much better chance of killing something.  And yes he's usually in range of something because he's really good at kicking tanks if they refuse to die from shooting.

If I were to keep the drones with him but drop the Stims, what other upgrade would I give him?

Crisis Team:
That works, but the trouble I'm having is keeping marker lights on the table, see above!
Any thoughts on that?

Fire Warriors:
Yeah. The drone is there to double the int of the FW because they'll be getting in close and probably be loosing combat.  The extra point it costs I feel is worth it.

Yeah, I'll drop the Flechette

Kroot:
Yup.

Hammerhead:
See above!

Total List Savings:
I agree that there's enough for another unit.  I'm just not sure what that unit should be though.  Or maybe I should just shave it down to a 1500 point list.... But more marker lights would be good.  But mine keep getting shot to bits.... hrmm...

-----------Edit number 2!---------------

Okay so here's my version 2.  Still not happy about the marker light situation but you've given me more ideas.

Commander - 173
Missile Pod x2 Vectored Retro Thrusters Drone Crontroller Puretide Engram Neurochip Iridium Armour Onager Guantlet
Goes with Riptide.  Now I'm debating the Iridium because he will only need it if the riptide goes down.  Hrm.... playtesting required!
Riptide - 245
Early Warning Override Target Lock TL Fusion Blaster Ion Accelerator Shielded Missile Drone x2
When commander joins those over priced drones become useful.  They fire off 8 bs5 missile shots while the riptide soaks up fire and blasts something else!
Crisis Team x3 - 195
Missile Pod x3 TL Missile Podx3 Shield Drone x2
Missile saturation.  Doesn't matter what save they have I'll eventually kill it!
Stealth Suits x3 - 129
Shas'vre with Markerlight & Target Lock Gun Drone x2
FireWarriors - 238
DevilFish Disruption Pod
Moves forward along with Riptide and dakka dakka.  I'm keeping the EMPs for now to see how they work.  I'll let you all know!  The one gun drone is to get its initive so if I need to run away its just that much easier.
FireWarrior x8 - 97
FireWarrior x8 - 97
Sits back in cover, shoots stuff and markerlights things for seeker missiles and cover denial.
Kroot x10 - 140
Krootox x3 Kroot hound x1
This unit like this has never failed me so why fix something that isn't broke! :)
Skyray - 130
Hammerhead - 191
This is my first time with Longstrike, really not sure if he's worth the points but that tank hunter ability and the fact that his seeker missiles have it too.... He might just be worth it.

1635 points so I have 65 points left over for something, no idea what!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 11:29:35 PM by Halollet »

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2013, 08:23:14 PM »
Well, the problem with Markerlights is that they die. The only platforms that are at all survivable are the Sunshark and the Skyray. Beyond that, a team of Marker Drones (if big enough) is pretty good. You want about 6-8 of them, though, to make them worth it. That means scaring up at least another 20 points or so, which means you should dump the seekers on Longstrike and the Kroot hound. The trick with the drones then means jumping into LOS, marking, and then jumping back out of LOS.

Otherwise, 65 will buy you an Ethereal (boosts the Carbine Squad by a bit), a Cadre Fireblade (boosts one of the foot squads and gives you a really accurate markerlight to boot), another 10 Kroot + Hound (or ditch the hound on the other squad and get yourself another 10 Kroot with sniper ammo), two more Stealth Suits (possibly worth it), a single Fusion Piranha (excellent diversion unit) and add flamers to the Crisis Squad (keep them near stuff that might get charged and the Supporting fire of triple flamers is very, very nice), or fill out your Foot Firewarriors with more numbers.

Lots of stuff you can do with 65, really.

Offline Halollet

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2013, 10:49:03 AM »
Fireblade! Totally forgot about him.  That would fit in nicely with my list.  Okay, here's number 3.  I took out the Iridium because he doesn't need it as he will always have the Riptide for a body guard.  I still stand by it if he's anywhere else!

Commander - 148
Missile Pod x2 Vectored Retro Thrusters Drone Crontroller Puretide Engram Neurochip Onager Guantlet
Goes with Riptide.  Commands the Missile drones and fires off 8 bs5 shots every turn!
Cadre Fireblade
Doubles the firepower of the big FW squad and pops off some markerlight
Riptide - 245
Early Warning Override Target Lock TL Fusion Blaster Ion Accelerator Shielded Missile Drone x2
Body guard for commander and bullet sponge and beat stick.
Crisis Team x3 - 165
Flamer x3 TL Missile Podx3 Shield Drone x2
Missile saturation.  Also, flamer overwatching!
Stealth Suits x4 - 164
Shas'vre with Markerlight & Target Lock and Fusion Blaster Gun Drone x2
FireWarriors x10 - 227
Pulse Carbines Shas'ui Gun Drone EMP Grenades
DevilFish Disruption Pod
Moves forward along with Riptide and dakka dakka.  I'm keeping the EMPs for now to see how they work.  I'll let you all know!  The one gun drone is to get its initive so if I need to run away its just that much easier.
FireWarrior x12 - 133
FireWarrior x8 - 97
Kroot x10 - 140
Krootox x3 Kroot hound x1
This unit like this has never failed me so why fix something that isn't broke! :)
Skyray - 130
Hammerhead - 191

Thank you for the feedback, this list looks really interesting!

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2013, 10:54:44 AM »
Yeah, I like that one. I much prefer the cheaper commander (and I think you will, too!). I think your biggest problem here is going to be timing/using your markerlights. Since they're all tied to heavy infantry firepower and they can't give their tokens to their own unit, you're going to have to time the markerlight usage well if you plan on engaging infantry with your pulse weapons. Also it might cause an issue if you want to pop a transport and shoot the guys inside--the Markerlights will be needed to help the AT guns blow the transport, but by the time you get the Markers you need, your infantry guns will have all 'fired'. It's a delicate dance.

Offline Shas'La robo

• For the Greater GOOD!!... and the Emperor
  • Armies: Imperial Guard, Tau
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2013, 06:52:49 PM »
Drone Controller doesn't effect Shielded/Missile Drones.

Personally I can't use Firewarriors without a devilfish, they always die in a turn or two, without doing much. :(
Probably something I'm doing wrong. :P

I would try to get a Disruption pod on Longstrike, as you don't want him to die early, as he can quite easily kill a battle tank every 1-2 turns with some markerlight support.

robo
hug cover, shoot the big ones, and cripple the fast ones. if those cant be achieved, kill em all.  8)

Offline Halollet

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2013, 10:12:54 AM »
Drone Controller doesn't effect Shielded/Missile Drones.

Personally I can't use Firewarriors without a devilfish, they always die in a turn or two, without doing much. :(
Probably something I'm doing wrong. :P

I would try to get a Disruption pod on Longstrike, as you don't want him to die early, as he can quite easily kill a battle tank every 1-2 turns with some markerlight support.

robo

Well, that throws a wrench in my plan.  Might still work though, I just won't count on those hitting.... hmmm...  Don't need the fusion on the stealths either so I have 13 points now to play with.  Thoughts?

I'm not sure how long my FW will last either, but we'll see.  Its something different.

I would like to get a Disruption Pod for him as he probably will be fire upon quite a bit.  I just need a couple more points to fit it....