News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1850 Farsight/Pedro Kantor allies list  (Read 1876 times)

Offline clintoris

1850 Farsight/Pedro Kantor allies list
« on: December 12, 2013, 08:34:58 PM »
Hey lads, so i made this list mostly as 'just for fun list' but i feel it has potential to drop some serious damage, it may even begin to err on the side of cheesy. Really i am just looking for a way to keep my opponent on the defensive for as long as possible. I haven't play tested this list but i like the look of it. Apologies for the lack of short hand, i rarely post and don't lurk long enough to pick up all the tricks.

Primary Detachment:

Farsight 165
- BG +Plasma Rifle +Missile Pod +Vectored Retro Thrusters +Shield Drone x2 91
- BG +Plasma Rifle +Missile Pod +Advanced Targeting System +Shield Drone x2 89
- BG +T/L Fusion Blaster +Target Lock +Neuroweb System Jammer +Puretide Engram Chip +Shield Drone x2 98

Fire Warrior Team(10) 90
Fire Warrior Team(10) 90

Riptide +Smart Missile System +Ion Accelerator +Early Warning Override 190

Pathfinder Team(6) 66
Pathfinder Team(6) 66

Broadside Team(3) +Velocity tracker x3 255

Hammerhead +Longstrike +Submunition Rounds +Disruption Pod 190

Total: 1390

Secondary Detachment:

Pedro Kantor 185

Scout Squad(5) +Sniper Rifles +Camo Cloaks 70

Sternguard Squad(5) +Combi Melta x5 +Drop Pod 205

Total: 460

List Total: 1850.

I feel the tactics of this list are very simple so i wont bother writing them.

I tried to keep the Secondary Det as cheap as possible without sacrificing too much punch or forcing me to hold back my Primary Det. I have my hesitations about the Farsight bomb, though i have only used that setup once before and didn't really get to test it properly due to rules bungles by my opponent and i so i want to keep trying it for now but am open to ideas. The costing of the broadsides worries me as i would usually use them with a support commander with Multi Spectrum+Stim Injector+Iridium+Shield drone x2, without that support i worry they are a big points suck that lack, dare i say it, "oompf" lol.

But yeah, Critique away!

Offline Slick Samos

• Que!!
  • Armies: Tau, Dark Angels & Salamanders
Re: 1850 Farsight/Pedro Kantor allies list
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 05:22:53 PM »
Hey mate,

Your list is clear to read so don't worry about it :)

Your Space Marines provide a really clear function with Combi-Melta Sternguard and Kantor.  Also the Camo Sniper Scouts are a good choice.  They could do with a few more Sternguard if you want them to actually end up on an objective :)

On the Tau side of things:
Your Hammerhead, whilst deadly, is the only thing with an AV on the board which might prove to be a very bad thing depending on meta...
Velocity Tracker on the Riptide would help you a lot.
A few Shield Drones could probably be switched to Gun Drones

Overall I think that you've made a good choice on Allies but are lacking in scoring units and should either increase or decrease the amount of tanks on the field.  Dropping the Hammerhead would allow you to get the Support Commander plus a few other bits elsewhere. 

Slick Samos
Play more games, paint more models...

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 09:39:51 AM »
I disagree with Samos about the Velocity Tracker on the Riptide. They are poor AA units, and wasting their firepower on an intercept shot with the Accelerator means no giant low-AP pie-plate fun next turn. Not worth it.

Broadsides should do just fine. If Flyers become a huge problem, buy a Skyray.

Offline The Unseenly Invincible

• Without laughter there is no slaughter
  • Armies: Nonimperial guardthings, and some blue communists
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 01:41:10 AM »
Good morning/afternoon/evening Sir.

Farsight 165
- BG +Plasma Rifle +Missile Pod +Vectored Retro Thrusters +Shield Drone x2 91
- BG +Plasma Rifle +Missile Pod +Advanced Targeting System +Shield Drone x2 89
- BG +T/L Fusion Blaster +Target Lock +Neuroweb System Jammer +Puretide Engram Chip +Shield Drone x2 98

While I never really thought I'd ever come to say this, I think that this Farsight bomb is, by the looks of it, too small. 4 Crisis suits, even with various expensive toys, tend to make a relatively small impact. The general point of a farsight bomb is to have a slightly overdone amount of battlesuits deep striking into the middle of the enemy and killing not one, but 2 or more enemy units in one fell stroke (see Mont'ka and, for that matter, Target Locks), and then occupying your enemy's attention for the rest of the game whilst your scoring units snoop onto objectives. Generally, with tau you want boyz>toyz*, as more guns = more corpses, which is exactly what you want.

Fire Warrior Team(10) 90
Fire Warrior Team(10) 90

Pathfinder Team(6) 66
Pathfinder Team(6) 66

I don't see either of these units doing anything beneficial. Pathfinders, you see, have this special rule called "Bullet Magnet" which states that this unit will be targeted by an amalgamation of Heavy Bolters, Flamers and otherwise Weapons That Kill Light Infantry Horribly. Fact is that pathfinders are there as a distraction, allowing your other units to move into position. Given your army, however, there really isn't anything that needs to move into position as they're either static or deepstriking, so, hmm... take your pick on this. I find them a blunderous point sink, however there will be many that disagree.

On foot (excuse me, on hoof) Fire Warriors, are on the other hand, not really that great without support. To be effective, they usually need to either get close to an enemy or have an ethereal/cadre fireblade with them (or both). Otherwise, all that they're really doing is sitting there and shooting ducks. It's not that they're bad, per se, it's just they could be so much better.

Broadside Team(3) +Velocity tracker x3 255

I'm not entirely sold on max-size broadside units. Typically, these guys attract more attention when there's more of them there, and, contrary to popular belief, they're not entirely indestructible. Sure, they're tough enough to take small arms fire like a man, but come a few Plasma Cannons, or, ye gods, a demolisher cannon, or worse, something winds up assaulting them (possible, as they don't have jetpacks) and you've got a big 255 point crater where your broadsides used to be. In a unit of two, I find, not only do they attract much less attention, but it's not too great of a loss should your enemy's gunsights turn on them. And they still do their job relatively efficiently.

Hammerhead +Longstrike +Submunition Rounds +Disruption Pod 190

'Tis fine, even though I'm not a big fan of Longstrike (unless, of course, my enemy is Imperial Guard)

Secondary Detachment:

Pedro Kantor 185

Scout Squad(5) +Sniper Rifles +Camo Cloaks 70

Sternguard Squad(5) +Combi Melta x5 +Drop Pod 205

Looks just right. Take Samos' advice, though.

Also, do take into account that the forum rules don't allow base points costs for units to be written in posts (has something to do with GW's copyright policy), so writing Pedro Kantor's points cost is a no no. Of course, the (remaining) mods on this forum are pretty lax, so don't worry about it too much.

*Please note that the tau forum is divided into the two camps, one of which prefers quantity over quality (boyz>toyz) and the other which prefers quality over quantity (toyz>boyz). This means that my opinion on the matter only goes so far.
Always absent from school... | Tzeentch's Teddybear | Making Guardsmen aerodynamic since 2003! | Yes, it will hurt. No, I don't care | In Soviet Russia Guardsman kills you