News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Stealth Suits  (Read 2050 times)

Offline SparqMan

• Pimpmaster General
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Read the Codex.
    • The Daily Jolt
Stealth Suits
« on: July 28, 2002, 09:07:14 PM »
I just wanted to post on how pleased I was with the effectiveness of Stealth Suits in the registered game that I played as Tau at Games Day yesterday.

I had them in some cover (behind rocks, blocking them from LOS of anything). They would pop out 6" in the movement phase, unload 15 Str 5 attacks (god bless Assault 3 weapons) and then pop back into cover 6" during the assault phase.

And once they got caught in some fire (a Necron destroyer caught on), they were safe as the destroyer needed to roll to see the, roll to hit, roll to wound and we got a save...and he simply couldn't do it. Had it been nightfighting...the y would have been unstoppable. Scary!

Now I'm not a Tau player, but I would recommend this unit to any Tau player...and I would recommend them as targets to any non-Tau player =).

Offline Tobab816

• Chaos Warmaster, Promoter of Deathball!
Re:Stealth Suits
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2002, 12:36:38 AM »
The problem with Stealthsuits is that except for their stealthsave they are not special in anyway.

They have jetpacks....so has crisis suits and drones.
They have S5 weapons. So has every other unit in the Tau army.
Their statline is decidedly average.

So except for packing a big gun on a fragile and mobile platform they arn't anything special.

Personally I wouldn't field them in anything but a nightfight as the advantage of a stealthsuit is easily parallelled by the toughness of a crisis suit(and the crisis suit has access to better weapons).
Deathball, the new game of bloody basketball, 40k style!

+++Excerpt from Last Chaos/Space marine game, commentator: Inquisitor Khalheed "The Purgator" Qhor, Ex-Deathball player+++

Chaos vs Space Marine grudgematch today ended 23-19 when Brother Grazieel decimated the chaos team with a heavy bolter.

Afterwards the Chaos Coach Zhuriel the Damned stated "If we weren't ideologically in favor of cheating we'd complain about this""
+++End of transmission+++

Master Archon

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2002, 11:48:31 AM »
Yeah but by the time you average in those weapons and support systems the crisis suit can easily be twice as expensive as a Stealth Suit.  I love stealth suits, not only are they nasty on the battlefield but they look cool.  I got a 4 man squad w/ a Shas'vre with 2 Gun Drones and they perform their task wonderfully.

Offline Mystic511

• I *Love* EldarOnline! No, really, i do!
    • Personal Website
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2002, 02:05:19 PM »
I personally would use crisis suits as fast attack.  There is already enough stationary firepower in the tau army.  For picking off units from cover, the obvious choice is crisis suits, because of the better weapons available to them.

So then, as 'fast attack' the stealth suits would serve a special purpose.  Move them from cover to cover in an attempt to get a forward position (along with infiltrating), and also get closer to the weakest targets.  Fifteen shots and strength five could take out alot of troop choices.

If they can't get into cover in time, then you have the added bonus of perhaps not being spotted.  This at least keeps long distance heavy hitters away from the stealth suits.   Their 3+ save can do the rest

From their forward position, they could claim objectives, take out specialized troops, and even hit rear armor on vehicles.

Offline Farseer Darkon

• MINDWAR
« Reply #4 on: August 2, 2002, 10:04:33 AM »
I have two Crissis teams and Stealth team.
crisis team #1
vre: plasma rifle, missile pod,  hard wired mutli-tracker, and shield generator
mem 1: plasma rifle, twin linked burst cannons
mem 2: plasma rifle, twin linked burst cannons

crisis team #2
vre: fusion blaster, missile pod, hard wired multi-tracker, and shield generator
mem 1: fusion blaster, twin linked Missile pod
mem 2: fusion blaster, twin linked missile pod

Stealth team
vre: marker light, hard wired drone controller, 2x gun drones
team x 5 members

each one of those teams cost 232 points
I didn't do it on purpose, it just came out that way.

I use them in a fight against flesh terrors, and I won with  half strength stealth team and minus two wounds from crisis team two. biggest advantage was adding that marker light to the vre of the stealth team and have the vre of the crisis team shot what he markered.

Offline DeamonMonkey

• Come on touch it. I dare you
  • Still a llama!
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2002, 12:45:22 AM »
Stealth Suites are nasty, Deep Striking Behind my beloved Waveserpents and Falcons, Grrrrrrr...

Offline MrMischief

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2002, 09:17:53 AM »
STEALTH TEAMS ARE AWESOME I DONT CARE WHAT ANYONE SAYS, IF YOUR HAVE PATHFINDERS, GET THEM TO MARK TARGETS FOR THE STEALTH SQUAD, BECAUSE THE MORE HITS U GET WITH PATHFINDERS, MEANS MORE HITS FOR THE BURST CANNONS.
"Knowlage pursues me, But I am faster"

Offline xv15.

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2002, 03:21:11 PM »
Stealth teams kick ass!

No one can ever tell me otherwise. A 6 man stealth team would easily rip apart a crisis team providing they shot first.

Here:

6 man stealth team with team leader who has a hard wired drone controller and 2 gun drones. Bonded.

217 points

3 man crisis team with missile pods, plasma rifles, and multi trackers. Team leader with the same and a hard wired drone controller and 2 gun drones. Bonded.

232 points

Roughly equal right?

Well, lets say the deployment was the same as the initial post. THe stealth team was hiding behind some rocks, and the crisis guys were in cover. So because the stealth suits are less points, they will get the first turn, jet from cover, unload 18 burst cannon rounds and 2 carbine rounds.

9 hit, (allocate 2 per guy and 1 on the team leader)

2 on each drone, 2+ wound, both wounds = 1 failed save

Gun drones gone

now on the suits 4/5 wound and 1-2 failed saves, lets say 2, now the drones

with a re-roll lets say 1 hits, and 1 wounds, now if the crisis failes his save, then the squad could be pinned, but the crisis will make his save anyway.

not bad, 3 kills

now providing the crisis suits can even see the stealth suits, providing they found a way to get around the rocks, then the stealths would get rocked by plasma rifles, but judging by the 18" distance, the crisis suits can get a line of site,

so the stealth teams get out and wipe out the squad, simple as that.  

DONT EVER TELL ME STEALTHSUITS BLOW, THEY ROCK!

The man who makes a beast of himself,
rids himself of the pain of being a man.