News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Regarding YOUR submissions and contributions of ARTICLES  (Read 12178 times)

Offline Purple Raine

• The Ultra N00bie
  • Administrator
  • Let's put a smile on that face.
    • About Me
Regarding YOUR submissions and contributions of ARTICLES
« on: April 20, 2002, 12:23:58 AM »
As always, we've been seeing a steady level of article submissions from our members - WHICH IS AWESOME!

Unfortunately, it seems that many people are just submitting articles just to get their names on the site...

You may be wondering why there has been a bit of a slow down in terms of articles being posted... it's because it's that time of year when all of us writers, editors, and webmasters are quite busy with school, work, and life in general... it will be better in the summer

Hence we cannot spend all of our time correcting SPELLING, GRAMMER, and STYLISTIC errors...

I was supposed to put up 5 articles yesterday, but it turned out that ALL FIVE had extensive spelling and capitalization errors...

When we say YOU we don't use "U"... WE ARE is NOT "WERE" and Wave Serpents are not "WAVESERPENTS"

Please make sure you take care of simple issues as these.  

Lately, I've been training our newest Warlock - AiR to do the editing and layout of these articles, but it's been increasingly difficult as I've not found an article without errors =)...

Please help make our lives easier by doing the spellchecking and grammarchecking PRIOR to submission.

Thanks
Just a fan of this awesome site.

Offline Lonjon

• Google
Re:Regarding YOUR submissions and contributions of ARTICLES
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2002, 04:34:42 AM »
Hence we cannot spend all of our time correcting SPELLING, GRAMMER, and STYLISTIC errors...

Grammar is spelled with an "A".  Just a little heads up there big guy.  :)

http://maps.yahoo.com/py/maps.py?Pyt=Tmap&addr=&city=Grammer&state=IN&slt=39.152527&sln=-85.724808&name=&zip=&country=us&&BFKey=&BFCat=&BFClient=&mag=8&desc=&cs=8&newmag=9&poititle=&poi=&ds=g

« Last Edit: April 20, 2002, 04:42:10 AM by Lonjon »
'Stop misquoting me!'   - Jain Zar

Offline Purple Raine

• The Ultra N00bie
  • Administrator
    • About Me
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2002, 04:55:50 AM »
Hahahahah... gee, was that ironic or what?

Yeah, the above was an example of what NOT to do =)

Offline klardom

• Coffee: That which gives substance to life.
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2002, 09:03:16 PM »
Hey Raine, if you need another hand in proof-reading and such, I can help out.

I tend to have alot of time on my hands, and I'm really good with english, grammar and so on.  I know I'm not a warlock or anything like that, but I'd be more than happy to lend a hand to you and the community.  I could also get my mom to proof-read the articles (she's an english teacher by the way) and then I could fix the errors.

What do ya think?  Could I lend a hand to you guys?

EDIT:::: Oh yeah, and I also have quite a bit of experience in proof-reading, considering that about a quarter of my History class has me proof-read their papers before they are turned in, and those papers almost always get A's  ;D
« Last Edit: April 28, 2002, 09:06:14 PM by klardom »
Ceci n'est pas une signature.

Offline AiR

• Ancient
  • Your life is yours alone. Rise up and live it.
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2002, 09:49:26 PM »
Wow that seems impressive.  We will discuss about you. We are always looking for people to help out on EO.
Primar edict means only one thing, and everything: cut. Once committed to fight, cut. Everything else is secondary. Cut. That is your duty, your purpose, your hunger. There is no rule more important, no commitment that over rides that one. Cut"

Offline klardom

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2002, 01:07:52 AM »
Alrighty then, just a little intro to my mad english skills  ;D ;D

AiR - You need to change your second sentence to the Progressive Future Tense, ie: "We will be discussing you."  Also, your objective pronoun 'you' in that sentence is a little unsupported.  You might want to try "We will be discussing your request" instead.

Just thought I'd let you know  ;)

Offline AiR

• Ancient
  • Your life is yours alone. Rise up and live it.
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2002, 08:24:35 AM »
 :-[ Isn't that embaressing! You got me there buddy....

Primar edict means only one thing, and everything: cut. Once committed to fight, cut. Everything else is secondary. Cut. That is your duty, your purpose, your hunger. There is no rule more important, no commitment that over rides that one. Cut"

Offline klardom

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2002, 08:57:50 PM »
 ;D Don't worry about it, I've had this stuff beaten into my head ever since I was old enough to write essays.

My mom proofreads all my papers, and so I get "no no no, you're using the wrong appositive" or "you have tense changes here, here, and here, this shouldn't be progressive, yadda yadda yadds" and stuff like that all the time.  It starts to sink in after six or seven years  ;D

Offline The Hive Custodian (Retired)

• Primojanitor Paragon
  • Ancient
  • Perfection Within; Perfection Without
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2002, 09:13:25 PM »
I'll be able to help out too, especially during the summer- but I don't think I can match klardom!
Calculus is an art, but algebra is attrition.

Offline ArchonOfRedemption

• "Death is my meat; terror my wine."
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2002, 11:06:14 AM »
im not an english genious but id be happy to help if someone asked me

i really enjoy writing fiction but so far have only turned in one story.

maybe if i become a warlock i can help
"I'm not your worst nightmare; I'm your every nightmare."

Offline bringer of the blue screen of Death

• Keep your distance
  • don’t say you weren’t warned
    • save the Squat pitition
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2002, 10:05:14 AM »
the odd rong spelling never hurt any one

Offline klardom

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2002, 11:52:12 PM »
acually, misspellings can be VERY annoying at times.  Sure, we all screw up once in a while, but when some one slaughters all of their words simply because they don't feel like fixing them or typing them correctly, it can get very annoying

Offline GrammarKing

• Newest
  • I *Love* EldarOnline!
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2002, 06:08:19 AM »
klardom?? I always thought names started with a capital letter?
So shouldn't it be Klardom??

Sentences; well I always thought they started with a captial letter and ended with a full stop.

So shouldn't you take some more English lessons from your parents. Or maybe they should take some more English lessons themselves.
So basically you are being a Hypocrit.[/u]

One more thing you moron, mom?? It's MUM or MOTHER you idiot.

Offline klardom

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2002, 07:43:25 PM »
This is a message board, therefore informal and not within the bounds of standard English.  Because of this several rules of the English Language are allowed to be bent or broken due to the informality of this board.

klardom, as it is my own fabricated name and not a standard English name, is NOT supposed to be capitalized, as I do not view it to be within the bounds of the English Language.  klardom is klardom, period.

But if you really want to go there...

A) You spelled hypocrite wrong, and it should not be capitalized as it is not a proper noun and not at the beginning of a sentence.

B)  Mom is a word within the English Language, at least according to the American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language.  Mum, however, is not technically an allowed substitute for mother.  By definition, mum is an informal abbreviation to ma'am, not mother.

C) My mom is and English Teacher with a Masters Degree, and probably knows one heck of alot more about the English Language than you do.  So leave her out of this.

D) Conjuctions are not supposed to be used as the first word of a sentence.

E) Only one punctuation mark is supposed to be used at the end of each sentence.

F) Your use of a semi-colon in your third sentence is improper.  

G) Your first sentence is a declaration, not a question, and therefore should not be ended with a question mark.

H) Yes, they are your first and third sentence because "klardom??" is merely a fragment, not a sentence.

I) Personal attacks towards others and their moms arn't really very acceptable on this board unless they're well warranted, which yours weren't; and I have learned this from personal experience.

J) In order to maintain smooth sentence flow, you should add a comma after the word "MOTHER" in your last sentence.

There, I do believe I am done; and just so you know, my corrections of AiR's mistakes were not saying that you must be formal here on this board, instead it was merely demonstrating my grasp of the English Language.  My statement about misspellings was also not saying that everything on this board must follow the rules of the English Language in regards to capitalization, it was instead a direct reference to the use of capitalization within formal works of the English Language.

Offline Darkseerz

• Evil is only a technicality
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2002, 05:02:42 AM »
Ok, this is not a grammar competition! People make mistakes; but by correcting them, you will probably humiliate and embarrass them; which is not what Eldaronline is about.

Eldaronline is here for the purpose that gamers can trade information, discuss tactics etc. So why the need to try and make yourselves feel superior by correcting others?
Death comes to those that wait, and to those that don't- Mor'ghan Anthra

Offline Purple Raine

• The Ultra N00bie
  • Administrator
    • About Me
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2002, 02:46:07 PM »
Chill, all of you.

Klardom has been doing some editing work for us, which is great because we do receive some horrible submissions... we can't put up articles if we can't understand them.  

And you're correct that EO is not here to humiliate anyone's lack of grammar / spelling skills, but we are also here to put up quality articles.

Offline Darkseerz

• Evil is only a technicality
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2002, 03:22:38 AM »
That last post; was directed at GrammarKing not klardom.  :)
Death comes to those that wait, and to those that don't- Mor'ghan Anthra

Offline Razedbar

• Forget about the sky, there are no limits. W.W.
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2002, 05:21:29 AM »
Relax a little on the correct grammar.  This is supposed to be entertaining.  Only god is perfect.  If he were real.
I,m not saying he is or isn't.  Also, I don't think raine has an e on the end of it.  Just kidding, lol. :)
If threre is a God, show me.  Otherwise I'll just be waiting.  Still waiting, no sign.  Thought so!

Offline Oblivion

• RIP
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2002, 08:08:46 AM »
Well just thought I might add something about submissions to this topic, seems about time..... ;D
I have been thinking of sending you a couple of drawings for review, but as of yet haven´t got a clue how to send you files that will obviously be to big (I´m pretty certain of that) to be sent by hotmail. Anyone got a good solution to this. (Plus my scanner has gone haywire on me so this might be a few days in the work... :()

Offline Oblivion

• RIP
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2002, 08:10:14 AM »
Managed to miss the entire word articles, sorry, sorry, sorry....  :P