News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Chronicles of the Brush: For the Greater Good  (Read 119371 times)

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Re: Myen'Tal's Conclave: The Painting Chronicles
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2018, 09:26:58 PM »
I'll be interested to see how those shark fair.

I am also really curious about the performance of the Allopexes :D. I've been on the fence about these guys for a little while, but I'm thinking I underestimated their value in my initial impression of them. I have high hopes for them now, plus the models look so cool! Not sure when I'll get around to playing a game though. I think I want to finish my force first, unless one of my friends come up and visit for a game, in which case them being unpainted doesn't really matter.

I'll definitely share my experience with them either way ;D!
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2018, 08:20:59 PM »
Update time! Gloom Haven Assembles! ;D I'm actually kind of annoyed by own clumsiness. While trying to take a picture I managed to drop a Lochian Prince and break him off of his base... now neither plastic glue or super glue with reseat him back on it. Guess I'm switching him out for the Ishlean Prince for now! Also, I do not know whose grand design was it to create how some of the Namarti Reaver models go together, but some of them are super frustrating. I managed to complete another squad last night, but I've managed to completely destroy one of the Reavers... leaving me with 9 >:(. So I'll have to find someway to replace that too.

Other than that, the only units still missing from the list is one more unit of Namarti Thralls, and a Leviadon Turtle. That's it!

Also I finished six Reavers so far!

« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 10:48:56 PM by MyenTal »

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2018, 06:30:20 PM »
Also, I do not know whose grand design was it to create how some of the Namarti Reaver models go together, but some of them are super frustrating. I managed to complete another squad last night, but I've managed to completely destroy one of the Reavers... leaving me with 9 >:(. So I'll have to find someway to replace that too.

Reavers are looking good there mate.

They are not the easiest thing to the put together, especially the ones you have 3 pieces for the bottom half. Maybe there is a way to salvage the model with a bit of creative basing, like they are riding a wave in :)

I managed to drop a Lochian Prince and break him off of his base... now neither plastic glue or super glue with reseat him back on it. Guess I'm switching him out for the Ishlean Prince for now!

It is sounding like he is not sticking to the seat? I'm assuming you have already removed any bits of dried glue and scratched some of the under coat away at contact points so the plastic glue can do its thing. So "pinning" might be an option.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2018, 10:00:05 PM »
Thanks for the compliments and the advice, Mage, it is appreciated ;D. Yeah, it was one of the Reavers with like the three piece lower body. Too many of the details kind of got melted by the glue, so I'm just going to see if I find something in the bitz stores. As for the Akhelian, he didn't break off of his seat, but the piece where the mount is joined to the clear plastic rod attached to the base. Tried scraping away the glue and melted plastic, but unfortunately, it's much more difficult on the actual plastic rod itself. Will probably just order a new base I think.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #44 on: August 1, 2018, 05:45:27 PM »
As for the Akhelian, he didn't break off of his seat, but the piece where the mount is joined to the clear plastic rod attached to the base.

OK that's not too bad, you can still make something on the base itself to work around it. You could do a rock sticking out of the water (google the twelve apostles Australia), or it could be riding a giant wave, that would look awesome :)

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #45 on: August 1, 2018, 08:48:17 PM »
Good ideas, Mage, though I might be too lazy to capitalize on them ;). I'll think upon what I want to do with that Prince. The worst case scenario, I just end up buying another plastic rod and base. :)

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #46 on: August 4, 2018, 11:50:51 AM »
Damn Myen-Tal... you've been holding out on us! These paint jobs are freaking great! The color pallet and paint jobs are fantastic! That warlock purple is the killer touch! How bout those bases though? Fantastic! Truly love your stuff man, keep rocking!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #47 on: August 4, 2018, 10:07:46 PM »
Damn Myen-Tal... you've been holding out on us! These paint jobs are freaking great! The color pallet and paint jobs are fantastic! That warlock purple is the killer touch! How bout those bases though? Fantastic! Truly love your stuff man, keep rocking!

Thank you, Cavalier, I'm glad that you like them! Wouldn't say I've been holding out, just never really put this kind of effort into my painting before. All of the years spent acquiring knowledge from youtube seems to have paid off somewhat! ;D

Battle Report:

So I have finally gotten in my first game of Age of Sigmar... and it was quite a learning experience! It was a 2 vs 2 game of 1700 Points, it was kind of half Open Play, half matched play and I'll explain why. First off, everyone agreed that each faction had free access to all of the endless spells, just to experiment with them. One side consisted of Legions of Nagash and Idoneth Deepkin (me!), while the other consisted of Khorne Bloodbound and Grand Alliance Chaos Skaven.

We didn't really go over the list used, but here is how I remember them.

Bloodbound:

1x Bloodsecrator
2x Slaughter Priests
1x Khorne Lord on Juggernaught (General)
20x Bloodreavers
20x Bloodreavers
15x Blood Warriors
1x Khorgorath
5x Wrathmongers
5x Skull Reapers

Skaven:

Lots of Clanrats
15x Stormvermin
x20 Plague Monks
1x Skaven Warlord
1x Warp Engineer
1x Warlock
1x Warp lightning cannon

Legions of Nagash:
1x Nagash
1x Necromancer
1x Banshee
-Lots of Zombies (like 60!)
-5 Hexwraiths
-8x Glaivewraith Stalkers
-20 Skeletons

Deepkin:

1x Soulrender
1x Tidecaster
1x Allied Lord Arcanum of Gryph Charger
10x Namarti Thralls
10x Namarti Thralls
10x Namarti Reavers
10x Namarti Reavers
1x Allopex
1x Allopex
6x Morssar Guard

Deployment:

So we rolled off for the mission and decided on the Total Commitment Battle plan. Four objectives placed on the right and left-most quadrants of the table. No objectives in the center of the table. My Deepkin faced off against the Khorne Bloodbound, while the Death forces lined up against the skaven. On my side of the map was a fortress of sorts, with an Ocularum between me and the Khornates. Lots of terrain on the board, I was able to borrow a Gloomtide Shipwreck that placed in two spots along the board's center.

Here, I made my first mistake. I deployed my Reavers as the frontline so I harry the foe as they charged forward... not that grandest idea ;D. Behind them were two lines of Namarti, because the board was somewhat crowded and I wanted to deploy within the ruined fortress. The allopex were placed on the right flank to reinforce Nagash's flank, while the Morssar Guard were placed on the left flank.

Turn 1:

The Deepkin-Death alliance won the first turn and decided to go first... another mistake, as we could really cast no magic except mystic shield. Mystic Shield failed to go off on the Eel Riders, but did manage to get it off on the Lord Arcanum. On the left flank, Bloodreavers anchored the Khorne Bloodbound, backed up with a Slaughter Priest and a Bloodsecrator behind them. So I considered an alpha strike to crumble that flank and hopefully push into the Bloodsecrator.

The first squad of Reavers unleashed the first salvo of their aimed fire, but the other squad was out of range. The Reavers picked off three Bloodreavers, not bad for 10 shots. I made another mistake here and got too aggressive with my Akhelians. The Morrsar Guard raced up the flank and made their charge on a 9. I was able to surround many of the Blood Reavers and get a pair of Akhelians on the Slaughter Priest. 6 Blood Reavers were hacked down by the Volt-Spears, the Fanged Maws whiffed unfortunately however, but the lashing tails inflicted 3 damage on the Slaughter Priest.

As for Death, the Zombies moved forward. The Hexwraiths also alpha striked and cut down the Plague Monks to like 6-8 models.

At the end of our turn, we scored 2 Victory points.

On the Bloodbound turn, the Bloodsecrator popped his banner and the Wrathmongers and Blood Reavers countered charged my Akhelians. The Reavers inflicted negligible damage, and some of the Khornate Prayers managed to outright kill of their elite number. The slaughter Priest also swung and inflicted 2 wounds. What the Reavers and Priest could not achieve, the buffed up Wrathmongers obliterated in one attempt. Akhelians are no. Lesson learned :P.

Turn 2-and-onward summary:

The Namarti Reavers managed to pick off several models throughout turns 2-3, a 2-and-a-half blood warriors, and like 3 more reavers. Some my archers were cut off by a nasty command ability that allowed the Blood Reavers to charge in my own hero phase and fight. That 10 man unit was wiped out. So I backed off my other reaver squad to sit under the Gloomtide Shipwreck and harrow the enemy from there.

As if that Bloodbound trick was not enough, another command ability lured one of my Namarti Thralls out into the open toward the Bloodsecrator, allowing them to be charged by the Skullreapers. That 10 man unit was also wiped out without getting a chance to fight back. My other Thrall Unit cut down the Blood Reavers without breaking a sweat or loosing anyone and also dragged two-and-half wrathmongers down with them.

My Magic phase was pretty much non-existent thanks to the Bloodbound's ability to resist any magic. The lord arcanum got off an arcane bolt and blasted the Khorgorath for 2 wounds.

The Allopexes were committed too early, their net launchers did zero damage and one of them was outright killed before he could even strike. The surviving allopex managed to chomp down two Blood Warriors though. My initial plan was to rescue the Akhelians with them, but the Akhelians were already slain, so the Allopexes were caught out of position.

The Tidecaster literally did nothing the entire game, but the Lord Arcanum, surrounded by a unit of 20 Blood Reavers, popped each of his three soul flasks, then made his attacks, killing 14 Blood Reavers by himself in one turn 8).

Eventually the Deepkin were overwhelmed and routed on turn 3, but the Nagash proved too strong for the remaining skaven and Bloodbound. Whatever died on the death side simply came back again from the Graveyards or Nagash's command abilities until the Skaven, who had killed probably twice their number, where just whittled away into nothing. The Lightning Cannon claimed the lives of the Necromancer, and then the Banshee sitting on the Death objective later in the game. Most of the stormvermin were dead before the battle on that side of the board became really embroiled.

The Bloodbound did what they could to stem the tide of zombies, but in the end, our team could not be forced off enough objectives, so we won 19-to-17 Victory points.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #48 on: August 5, 2018, 04:51:13 PM »
Sounds like an interesting game. That command ability to allow a unit to charge and fight in the Hero phase seems a bit over the top. The death version at least needs a high roll to fight twice.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #49 on: August 5, 2018, 06:08:38 PM »
Sounds like an interesting game. That command ability to allow a unit to charge and fight in the Hero phase seems a bit over the top. The death version at least needs a high roll to fight twice.

Ah, I said it was a command ability, I think it was because he spent a certain amount of Blood Tithe points, special currency the Bloodbound get for units being killed.

By the way, Mage, I think what you said about the Namarti Thralls needing more than the minimal unit is completely correct. Whatever specialized Bloodbound units managed to charge my 10 man Namarti units, all of the Namarti died within the turn the charge was made. I could never use my soulrender's command ability because all of the Namarti squads hit were already hewn down to the last man...

In other words, I think I'm going to have to rethink my list a bit... Probably less Akhelians and more Namarti, Isharann Heroes that can buff them, and probably an Eidolon, Aspect of the Storm. I'm trying to decide between what Akhelian unit I bring in, or if I should bring any. I might save them for an all akhelian Fuethan list one day.

Here is the list that I am thinking about:

Allegiance: Idoneth Deepkin - Mortal Realm: Hysh
 - Enclave: Mor'Phann

LEADERS

Isharann Soulrender
- General
- Command Trait : Born From Agony
- Artefact : Aetherquartz Brooch

Eidolon of Mathlann, Aspect of the Storm
- Artefact : Mirrored Cuirass

Isharann Tidecaster
- Lore of the Deeps : Freezing Mists (Mor'Phann Tidecasters)

Lotann, Warden of the Soul Ledgers

UNITS
30 x Namarti Thralls
20 x Namarti Thralls
10 x Namarti Reavers
10 x Namarti Reavers
2 x Akhelian Allopexes

BATTALIONS
Namarti Corps
« Last Edit: August 5, 2018, 06:10:03 PM by MyenTal »

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #50 on: August 8, 2018, 01:14:21 AM »
5 Namarti Thralls on the paint table for the last day or so. They are beginning to come together, but still have some stages left before they're ready for that varnish coat.

Work-In-Progress

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #51 on: August 8, 2018, 01:33:04 AM »
looking good. These are going to look great on the table as an army, very gloomy :)

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #52 on: August 8, 2018, 08:58:39 PM »
Very nice! Can't wait to see what your bases are gonna look like. Your color choices are spot on, really has a good underwater feel. Keep them coming.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #53 on: August 8, 2018, 10:01:39 PM »
looking good. These are going to look great on the table as an army, very gloomy :)

Thanks, Mage, it looks and feels quite a bit different than I initially imagined they would, since I originally wanted to do Fuethan' or Nautilar. But I'm actually really digging the Mor'Phann scheme now that I'm seeing it realized as I paint them. Glad that you think I'm capturing that gloom appearance, as that is what I'm going for 100% ;D! I think I'll eventually end up doing the Fuethan scheme anyway for a Themed Akhelian Corp I'm thinking about. But that's for after I complete this force and make some headway into the Nighthaunt and Sancrosanct Chamber.

Out of curiosity, what did you think of the list I made in the battle report post? Do you think the Allopexes should be in that list? Or should I go all Thralls and Leaders?

Very nice! Can't wait to see what your bases are gonna look like. Your color choices are spot on, really has a good underwater feel. Keep them coming.

Thanks, Dread, glad that you are liking them ;D! As for the bases, I think I am going to go for same method as I did for the Reavers, though it might be a bit tougher because the robes are longer on the Thralls than they are on the Reavers. The real hurtle I think is painting the Tidal-Wave cloak on the Eidolon :D, I'm going to try and get that model sometime next week I think. That or more Thralls!

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #54 on: August 8, 2018, 11:50:30 PM »
Ah yes. Went back and looked. I think that's perfect, really gonna look great. If you were gonna do a display board, how would you set it up. This army would look so great on one, like the armies on parade that GW does.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #55 on: August 9, 2018, 12:06:11 AM »
Ah yes. Went back and looked. I think that's perfect, really gonna look great. If you were gonna do a display board, how would you set it up. This army would look so great on one, like the armies on parade that GW does.

Hmm, that's a good question! I've never done something like creating an actual table before, let alone a display one. I think I would try to make a sandy beach that matches my basing, and have all of the Namarti kind of wading through the tide along the shoreline to kind of meld their bases in. Not certain how successful that would be, but it would be an idea.

Honestly, if I was going to do a display board, then I think I would not even make the sand part of the bases for all the Akhelians Riders and the Eidolon. I would just make an ocean base, like they're riding the waves \ exploding from the sea. I think I might try to do that for my akhelians ;D!

What do you think?

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #56 on: August 9, 2018, 01:03:16 AM »
I think it'd be great. I'm about to do a grave yard for my nighthaunt,I hope. Sketch it out and see if you like your idea, it always helps.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #57 on: August 9, 2018, 06:07:27 PM »
Out of curiosity, what did you think of the list I made in the battle report post? Do you think the Allopexes should be in that list? Or should I go all Thralls and Leaders?

Grain of salt as I haven't had many games and have not used them at all, but I'm not sold on how useful Allopexes are, on paper, they don't seem to be very good at either shooting or close combat. In other systems a unit like this would be tanky, but Akhelian Ishlaen guard are tankier and generate almost twice the number of wounds on average. I have a lot oghosts in my area so rend, isn't as big a factor.

I need to go over the rules again, but I think it might be possible to take the High Elf Frostbird thing and the turtle. Thats a good chunk of your army that becomes hard to kill.

Another thing I'm consider is the corps battalion. Without it, the soulrender is still returning an average of 5 models a turn. Freeing up 100 points to play with, you could run a second soulrender and give yourself more room to manuver on the board, or run 30 thralls instead of 20, etc. I'll try and get a couple of games in this weekend, but they will be low point games so, will see what I can come up with.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #58 on: August 9, 2018, 06:10:37 PM »
I can't recommend enough adding in morsar guard. Those eels are probably one of the strongest heavy Calvary unit in the game. Also,they look amazing.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #59 on: August 9, 2018, 11:12:51 PM »
I think it'd be great. I'm about to do a grave yard for my nighthaunt,I hope. Sketch it out and see if you like your idea, it always helps.

Well, I'll try it out sometime, but with my current living situation, I don't have much room to make a table ;). But it wouldn't hurt to just sketch some stuff out, I suppose :).

Grain of salt as I haven't had many games and have not used them at all, but I'm not sold on how useful Allopexes are, on paper, they don't seem to be very good at either shooting or close combat. In other systems a unit like this would be tanky, but Akhelian Ishlaen guard are tankier and generate almost twice the number of wounds on average. I have a lot oghosts in my area so rend, isn't as big a factor.

I need to go over the rules again, but I think it might be possible to take the High Elf Frostbird thing and the turtle. Thats a good chunk of your army that becomes hard to kill.

Another thing I'm consider is the corps battalion. Without it, the soulrender is still returning an average of 5 models a turn. Freeing up 100 points to play with, you could run a second soulrender and give yourself more room to manuver on the board, or run 30 thralls instead of 20, etc. I'll try and get a couple of games in this weekend, but they will be low point games so, will see what I can come up with.

I agree with you on the Allopex, but I think I'll try them out a couple more times before I make a decision on them. I think I didn't use them well at all in that game I played. I committed them too early, and also I think that they work better in larger units if you're taking multiples of them. I took 2 Allopexes in two different squads. So instead of having them attack together in one unit, I was forced to choose one and let the other one get hacked apart before it could attack :P.

But like I said, I agree, Ishlean Guard are the same price as an Allopex, and they can do much more than the Allopex can. I think I will try and either get the Eidolon next or some more Akhelians so that I can swap out Ishlean / Morrsar Guard at will.

I also like your idea of dropping the Namarti Corps battalion. Could definitely use those points elsewhere like you said. So I'll keep experimenting with that.

I can't recommend enough adding in morsar guard. Those eels are probably one of the strongest heavy Calvary unit in the game. Also,they look amazing.

I like the Morrsar Guard for the same reasons, problem is that they only have that insane damage output on the charge. So you have to charge in, and then spend another turn to cycle out for another charge, but then again the Tides of Battle rule kind of helps mitigate that somewhat. I think I will give these guys another try ;D.