News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Follow-up batrep (kind of) on 1000pts vs undefeated wych cult!  (Read 413 times)

Offline Lord Alliben

• Ripper
  • jo. Ph34r my l33t skillz. B4x4^2!
    • Alliben's Homepage
Follow-up batrep (kind of) on 1000pts vs undefeated wych cult!
« on: February 22, 2008, 10:07:07 AM »
Well, thanks for everyone's advice. I did, in fact, lose the match. He did a number of things that were kind of iffy and we had to "clarify" a number of rules but it was still a fun game. I was going to do a battle report but I forgot to bring my camera so I'll just do something of a summary.

I fielded the 1000 pt list I had up on the other thread which basically consisted of 16 hormogaunts, 16 termagants, 8 genestealers, tyrant w/lash whip/bonesword and VC, Dakkafex, Sniperfex, 3 warriors w/twin-linked devourers, 3 ripper swarms.

He had 3 squads of wyches (2 squads of 10 and 1 squad of nine so the archite could join,) mounted in raiders w/ dark lances, an archite with one of those squads, and 10 warriors w/ dark lance and portal. The Archite and Succubi had combat drugs, tormentor helms, punishers, and the archite had a shadowfield.

DE turn 1:
He dropped the portal with his warriors.

Tyranid turn 1:
I shot at his warriors and dropped a couple with the venom cannon on the tyrant.

DE turn 2:
Warriors fire dark lance and wound dakkafex.
A wych squad that got +attacks from drugs came in from reserves and hit my front line of hormagaunts killing most of them and consolidating into my genestealers.

Tyranid turn 2:
Hive tyrant shot down the raider while sniperfex killed a handful of warriors in cover. They hold.

Dark Eldar Turn 3:
  The other two wych squads enter play. They had rolled 12" assault for their drugs. Raiders fire on carnifex and hive tyrant to no effect.
  (Note: I just wanted to mention here that at this point I had to clarify that he did not in fact have strength 6 power weapons on all his succubi and that his wyches did not have a weapon skill 6 making me hit back on 5's. Also, his rolls for combat drugs were behind terrain when I wasn't paying attention ie he told me later when the squads came onto the board what their combat drug rolls were.)

The squad with the archite assaults the hive tyrant (courtesy of 12" assault) and rolls a 10 and passes ld check so isn't affected by The Horror.

(I was really hoping he'd fail so I could shoot him with 16 termagants and the HT... ::sigh::)

Tyrants dies. I didn't get to see all those dice rolls but when I ended up looking he had four 5's and/or 6's on the table. I thought that was his roll to hit but he said he already did that and these were his to wound rolls.

He also used his combat drugs like mad rolling for like 4 or 5 abilities. He said he didn't roll any double or triple ones so his guy didn't take any wounds from his combat drugs. I challenged him on this because I thought the drugs worked different. He assured me that GW put out an errata on this online. I asked if I could access this online but he said they took it off the internet and only his friend who wasn't there had a printed copy.

With the tyrant dead he consolidates into termagants in cover. The other wyches helped in the assault on my hormagaunts, rippers, genestealers, and warriors.

(I didn't know he could engage new squads without killing off the squad he was still fighting. His wyches not in base contact with genestealers moved 6 inches through terrain to "consolidate" into my warriors.)
  More things die. I lose a number of bugs mostly to the power weapons and drop a few of his wyches in return. The rippers did great at this point.

Tyranid turn 3:
  I shoot one of the two remaining raiders with the sniperfex. It drops. Dakkafex was just out of range to shoot the other one.
  He finishes off the hormagaunts, rippers, and stealers in hth and focuses on the warriors. The termagants lose assault, and fail leadership because the tyrant died and they were thus out of synapse. (I was out of warrior synapse by 2 inches because of one of the models he killed.) They are run down and he consolidates 3" out of difficult terrain.

DE turn 4:
 He shoots more dark lances at the sniperfex with no effect. His wychee with archite charge the dakkafex. I watch his rolls. My dakkafex survives. I strike back with two attacks and a mace tail. His archite is hit once, wounded once, and fails his shadowfield save! Yay! highlight of my game. Finally vengeance arrives. We assumed the archite lunged to attack and was summarily swallowed by the hungry fex.
  The warriors are finally finished off in hth. (When he consolidated into the a while back he said I didn't get the benefits of being in cover with my warriors and thus didn't get to strike first because he consolidated into them. Is that true?)

Tyranid turn 5:
 Sniperfex destroys the last raider with barbed strangler. (He didn't know blast templates got an extra hit on open topped vehicles.)
 Dakkafex dies to lots of 5's and 6's from succubus with punisher. They consolidate into sniperfex.

DE turn 6:
Sniperfex invincible! One kill in return. Wyches pass morale.

Tyranid turn 6:
Sniperfex dies to lots of 5's and 6's. (Again I thought it was the first roll but he assured me that that was his roll to wound and not hit. All his attacks hit, I must have missed that roll.)

Final tally, I have no bugs left. He has two wych squads slightly over 50%, one wych squad below 50%, the warriors below 50% and no raiders left. I think this game could have gone a LOT better. Still, I had a lot of fun and will play him again soon. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 01:18:28 PM by Lord Alliben »

Offline tzeentchling

• Infinity Circuit
  • Cthulhu for Pres! Why vote for the lesser evil?
Re: Follow-up batrep (kind of) on 1000pts vs undefeated wych cult!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 10:41:27 AM »
I didn't know he could engage new squads without killing off the squad he was still fighting.

He can't, actually - that was a bit of chicanery on his part.  You can only move to engage the unit you're locked in combat with.  Also, it's not double or triple ones for the drugs, it's any double or any triple and he takes a wound/dies outright IIRC.  You can only take up to 3 abilities for CD in one turn, no more.  Sounds like this guy isn't exactly playing by the rules here.  One thing he did have right, though, is that consolidating into a unit that's in cover negates the benefits of cover for striking first.

Glad you had fun, but that's an opponent I wouldn't want to play again.  Not because of his army, that's manageable, but because of the way that he plays.
"Every intelligent person, as you know, dreams of being a gangster and of ruling over society by force alone" - Albert Camus

My eldar record in 5th Edition: 3W-1D-1L (12/6/08)

Tactical Guide to CSM: http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=148628.0

Offline Lord Alliben

• Ripper
    • Alliben's Homepage
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 11:02:04 AM »
Lol. I also just noticed his Archite should have failed his ld check to assault the Tyrant. He rolled a 10. He can't pass that! That would have made a tremendous difference. ::sigh:: Well, I know these things now. Future games will not go quite so well for him, methinks.

Offline coredump

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 11:44:58 AM »
He assured me that GW put out an errata on this online. I asked if I could access this online but he said they took it off the internet and only his friend who wasn't there had a printed copy.
I just wanted to mention here that at this point I had to clarify that he did not in fact have strength 6 power weapons on all his succubi and that his wyches did not have a weapon skill 6 making me hit back on 5's. Also, his rolls for combat drugs were behind terrain when I wasn't paying attention ie he told me later when the squads came onto the board what their combat drug rolls were.
I didn't get to see all those dice rolls but when I ended up looking he had four 5's and/or 6's on the table. I thought that was his roll to hit but he said he already did that and these were his to wound rolls.
(Again I thought it was the first roll but he assured me that that was his roll to wound and not hit. All his attacks hit, I must have missed that roll.)

Um.... this guy sounds like a real putz. Is there no one else you can play? It sounds like he cheats, and isn't even good at it.

In the past the sun moved around the Earth.
This is fifth edition! You are wrong, your opponent is right.
-Finoro
Glancing hits suck my face off now
-YuenglingDragon
RAI is used by people who want rules to mean what they want it to instead of what it says in the book.
RAW is used by people who want rules to mean what they want it to instead of what it says in the book.
-Hymirl

Offline Khira'lyth

• Archon
  • I *LOVE* EO and 40K.ca
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 12:27:55 PM »
Yeah... I hate to say it, but he was pulling some... "unscrupulous" things on you...

I can't say that he fudged his drug rolls for the Wyches... but if you ever do play him again, I'd ask kindly for him to please roll them in the middle, and let me know beforehand so that I can see.  There's every possibility that he rolled what he did... but also there is the possibility that he didn't.

And DE don't have anything Ld10 (at least not base).  That was just wrong.

Also no consolidating into new units like that.  You move 6" to engage the current enemy.  You can start by *assaulting* multiple units, if you don't break coherency, but that's where it stops.

On a lot of the rolls... were you just not paying attention or was he purposely rolling when you weren't looking?  I'd be a bit irked if he continually rolled when I was distracted without ever saying anything... at least call it out maybe so that I could glance over.

And taking down the Tyrant like that... if he boosted the S on both Punisher-wielding crazies.... it happens.  Again, tho, the sound of it makes me raise an eyebrow.

On Genestealers, some people just aren't familiar enough with the progression of WS.  Vs his Wyches, your Stealers are only WS3, and they're WS4 - a lot of people think that means that you'd need 5's... so easily a simple mistake. 

Drugs, tho, and this is the kicker - that's just straight up cheating.  Any doubles cause a wound.  Any triples cause instant death, no saves for either.  If he misunderstood and thought that for some reason it was only on 1's (although the codex is clear) that's one thing, but to say it's a "non-available PDF somewhere". 

I would love to play this guy and shoot him out of the sky.  He gives a bad name to DE everywhere, and deserves to be taken down a notch or twelve.

That said, I'm not surprised that he won given the lists.  DE are masters of focusing fire on isolated targets (making big, expensive models like Tyrants and Fexes easy pickin's).  It's just how we roll.  And wych cults are just nasty (without cheating, that is).

Khira'lyth

Offline Lord Alliben

• Ripper
    • Alliben's Homepage
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 01:08:48 PM »
And DE don't have anything Ld10 (at least not base).  That was just wrong.
Yeah, I wish I knew that during the game. That could have made all the difference right there. My tyrant could have lived and his HQ would have been devoured by worms and those little fleshborer beetle guys...

Also no consolidating into new units like that.  You move 6" to engage the current enemy.  You can start by *assaulting* multiple units, if you don't break coherency, but that's where it stops.
Wha??? Seriously? That would have changed a few things.

were you just not paying attention or was he purposely rolling when you weren't looking?
Other people were talking to me and we had a couple other conversations. He just kept on rolling and would tell me when he killed something. I'm no noob but I didn't let it bother me much. The guy is actually a pretty cool guy but I did catch him on a few things here and there. (and apparently not catch him at a few others...)

On Genestealers, some people just aren't familiar enough with the progression of WS.  Vs his Wyches, your Stealers are only WS3, and they're WS4 - a lot of people think that means that you'd need 5's... so easily a simple mistake.
He thought his wyches had WS6 and that's why he thought my gaunts needed 5's to hit. He had just played a game against my friend's Death Guard and totally pasted him with all his "Str6" power weapons and "WS6" wyches that only got hit back on 5's in hth. Lol. My poor friend knows even fewer of the rules than I do, I'm afraid.

Drugs, tho, and this is the kicker - that's just straight up cheating.  Any doubles cause a wound.  Any triples cause instant death, no saves for either.  If he misunderstood and thought that for some reason it was only on 1's (although the codex is clear) that's one thing, but to say it's a "non-available PDF somewhere".
I think he was just talking about the PDF on the GW website which still doesn't mean what he said it did. I will print it out and bring my copy of his codex next time I play him. I didn't want to be a tool and ask for his army list and rulebook every five seconds when something questionable came up because I was just in it for a fun game. Had this been a tourney I would have cared slightly more. My friends and I would rather have fun than win. We just happen to be undefeated as a team due to some insanely good dice rolls every team game we play. Lol. Alone we can be beaten, especially when rules get fudged but as long as we're having fun it's no big deal. We just clarify and play right next time.

Thanks for the responses. I just want to say that my opponent was probably rusty on a lot of rules and even though a few things are pretty shady he was still a fun opponent. I wonder if he'd be as fun when he's losing. I'd hope he'd give me the benefit of the doubt in the same way I gave it to him, though.