News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: "alien" themed warrior tyranid army, help with paint scheme  (Read 4328 times)

Offline wazdakka

• My awesomeness can not be debated
"alien" themed warrior tyranid army, help with paint scheme
« on: September 17, 2006, 11:12:08 PM »
Heya everybody, shopping for a new race, i thought of the tyranids, postponing my salamander space marines. by coincedince, i thought of alien, looking at the warriors, and thought "hey, xenomorphs from alien are cool and damn scary, and remind me of warriors" what if I created an army themed around warriors, using an alien paint scheme?

so my project begins. i want to do an Alien tyranid army. i'm sure this has been tried before, but i want to do an outstanding job on this. the easy part is arming them. rending, talons, implant attack, and leaping. however, i come to the hard part: the pain scheme

from all the movies i've seen, xenomorphs have silvery/blueish gray skin, wet and glossy. however, I have No clue on how they would look like in regular lighting. it would be great if any of you know a thing or two about alien, and could help me with this epic task. I could use all the help I could get with painting these warriors.
Are you a xenophile sir?!
Sir no sir!
Bulls**t, i bet you send messages to the tau through a garden hose!

Offline Sergant Alexi

• Its a funny world
Re: "alien" themed warrior tyranid army, help with paint scheme
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 05:03:23 PM »
one of my friends used genestealers in squads of 3 to represent aliens with a queen hivetyrant as there leader but warriors could work just as well
Gari Fireguard 12th Company
500 pts
W/D/L
-

Last Game
-

Offline Paladin-Jut

• Neophyte
  • 40K: DA, Nids; Fantasy: Orcs, Brets and WE
    • Instatute for Creation Research
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 02:10:30 PM »
I have been thinking the same exact thing! (and yes I am sure you and I are not the 1st ones to go this route.)

Here is where I am at: I bought the old Hive Tyrant (3rd, not 2nd Edition) because he was 50% off and looked more like the Aliens. I painted nearly all of the "skin" Codex Grey, which is very dark with the armor plates, painted with successive lighter layers of grey. I think I am up to Space Wolves Grey. This makes the armor plates stick out, which I like. This is all been done with a black undercoat.

Now I am at the part where I am not sure where to proceed. I want to wash down the entire model in either black (I am afraid this will make it to dark) or I was thinking a blue or purple ink over the entire model as well.

Then from there the next question of do I seal it with a gloss, high gloss or if the ink gives in a wet enough look, do you just plain mat it?

But I really need to try these last two steps on some smaller models, but right now all I have is the Tyrant.

Let me know what you end up going with.

Jut

"All who draw the sword will die by the sword." - Jesus Christ

"But let us not come with any patronising nonsense about His being a great moral teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to.” -C.S. Lewis

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2006, 03:21:38 PM »
There's a website out there where someone's done exactly this and it looks awesome but I'm buggered if I can find the bloody link to it
The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*

Offline Brother Asreus

• Brother Captain, Resident Spokesman for Idiots.
  • Ancient
  • Closed captioned for the thinking impaired
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2006, 03:50:42 PM »
I think you mean this site Chuckles: http://buglands.moonfruit.com/ If it's the right one (blocked at work) the conversions and paint jobs are just incredible. This should give you plenty of inspiration.  ;)

Cthulhu for Pres in 2012!!! Why vote for the lesser of all evils?

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2006, 04:11:19 PM »
That's not actually the one I was referring to. That link is to the guy who sculpts stuff. I mean the fellow who did a giant Tyranid army based on the appearance of the aliens.
The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*