News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Price of plastic ..  (Read 2315 times)

Offline The Reborn

• I'm being out-gunned by a darn Carnifex....
  • Armies: Eldar, Harlequins.
Price of plastic ..
« on: February 29, 2020, 05:55:23 AM »
I popped into GW earlier and saw that the "new" plastic Banshees and Jain Zarr are up for pre-order.
£32.50 for the Banshees, Jain is £25.  To me this is very disappointing....£57.50p for 6 figures...not even large figures.  Looking at them, it's not like any real time was given over to updating or redesigning them...they still look like chubby men in suits.  It's just so sad.
After waiting so many years for GW to release plastic new Aspect Warriors, we get over-priced, poorly designed tat.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 05:58:17 AM by The Reborn »

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
Re: Price of plastic ..
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2020, 07:00:18 AM »
Hmm, I think the redesigned hair actually looks quite distinct. 57 for 6 figures is also a pretty deceptive way of putting it when one of them is a phoenix lord. Certainly it's not unusual to pay 30 for a character here - a Primaris Captain is 30 or so IIRC. Sounds like you're more looking for reasons to complain than trying to make something on-base here.
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2020, 08:03:46 AM »
If you don't like them, don't buy them. It's pretty easy.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: March 2, 2020, 09:07:21 AM »
The whole 'don't buy' argument is a bit specious I feel as it ignores the many reasons that people buy the models. That said, I also believe in some circumstances it is the right thing to advise.

After waiting so many years for GW to release plastic new Aspect Warriors, we get over-priced, poorly designed tat.

It is hard to tell, but I get the impression that it is the look of the models rather than the price that has got your back up. Would you be objecting to the price if you thought they had been designed better?

£32.50 for the Banshees, Jain is £25.  To me this is very disappointing....£57.50p for 6 figures...not even large figures.  Looking at them, it's not like any real time was given over to updating or redesigning them..

The value that a person ascribes to an object is very subjective and the price that companies sell their products at either match that subjective criteria, or they don't. In this instance your 'value' criteria has been reached and that is fair enough.

'Ones mans meat' as they say. I actually like the design of the Howling Banshees and Jain Zar. In particular I like the way Jain's hair has been incorporated to make it look like the figure is leaping and I also like the overall stance of the model.

Would I pay £25 for one model of this size? No, in this instance I agree with you.

At £6.50 a model I find that the Banshees are bordering on being 'expensive', but if I needed them I would happily buy them at this cost.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: March 2, 2020, 03:15:12 PM »
It is hard to tell, but I get the impression that it is the look of the models rather than the price that has got your back up. Would you be objecting to the price if you thought they had been designed better?

They are $90 down here, so thats $180 (about 92 GBP) before they become usable as min squad size is just woe full. Old price was $126 for a full unit.

For a comparision, DA's are $110 for a full squad, primaris are $98 for a full squad, a wraithknight is $125 a start collecting box of Primaris is a $165.

0 chance of me paying that much for them, even if they were really useful in game. I happened to get mine via someone splitting out the massively over prices boxset lol.

I love my Eldar, but I have to source them outside from my local store, and I'm not in the minority on that account. The prices are just pushing people to wait for the boxsets splits or hitting the 2nd hand sales. Without a local store, the gaming side just fizzles out.

In all honesty, I'm looking at sending my $$ to Star Wars Legion, units prices are much, much  more reasonable (I can support my local store), the rule are not being thrown into chaos every few months with new releases dont have rules that are blatantly obvious game breaking just to push a sales drive. Plus I still get a lore I've grown up with.
« Last Edit: March 3, 2020, 02:52:41 PM by magenb »

Offline Nutty

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
  • Armies: Craftworld Eldar, Imperial Guard, Tau
« Reply #5 on: March 3, 2020, 02:46:03 AM »
I'm a firm believer in voting with your wallet, the only downside in this case is that a run on banshees might just have led to the other aspects getting released sooner. I might just pick op Jain Zar because I quite like that model. For now I have enough metal banshees to last me for the foreseeable future, so I might never get the plastic ones unless I can get a good deal on a second hand set. They look quite good IMHO... but they are not that much better looking than the old ones to justify me replacing them.

Offline The Reborn

• I'm being out-gunned by a darn Carnifex....
  • Armies: Eldar, Harlequins.
« Reply #6 on: March 3, 2020, 06:42:48 PM »
@ blazinghand.. ..really?  I thought I made several good points.  Ok, the design appeal is subjective but the models ARE really expensive, and that's not a personal opinion it's a fact.

Just as a statement, it would not matter to me how good the sculpts were at these prices. Jain is a nice enough figure, but £25 is too much.  But the Banshees show no visual improvement over the much older sculpts, which is simply unforgivable in my opinion.

@Killersquid...I'm inviting opinion.  If you haven't got one why reply? You know, the real problem with these boards was always the mods.  That's why this site is a bloody ghost town now.  Don't bother threatening me, your threats carry absolutely zero weight and I don't give a toss mate.
« Last Edit: March 3, 2020, 06:46:37 PM by The Reborn »

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
« Reply #7 on: March 4, 2020, 04:42:12 AM »
Do you think he threatened you? lol
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #8 on: March 4, 2020, 08:07:28 AM »
Guys, take a step back and take a breather.  No one is threatening anyone.
 No reason to get your hackles up.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #9 on: March 4, 2020, 10:29:46 AM »
Hey Reborn I hope you are okay and still reading.

but the models ARE really expensive, and that's not a personal opinion it's a fact.

The thing is, just like value, the expense of something is also relative to each person. An easy example would be, do you think a millionaire would think spending £58 in one go to be expensive? I have a niece that collects swarovski crystal figures and I think spending just £20 on one of those is expensive because I can't see the point in them.

Just as a statement, it would not matter to me how good the sculpts were at these prices. Jain is a nice enough figure, but £25 is too much.

Again whilst this is a subjective assessment our sensibilities are in tune and I totally agree with you.

In all honesty I think Nutty and magenb have summed this issue up perfectly.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #10 on: March 4, 2020, 11:27:56 AM »
I was threatening you?

Really,  no one is forcing you to buy any miniature kits. It's an expensive hobby, but a lot of hobbies are. You just have to curate which kits or books you want, and save your money for whichever ones you'll enjoy working on.

The company does release discount boxes, and if you split those with folks, you can get a pretty good deal. I really like warcry, so I saved up to buy the starter box, as it's a better deal than getting it all separately.

The value of each kit is entirely subjective. One person's yuk, is another's yum.

If you don't like a kit, or don't find value in it,  just don't buy it. It's easy, and doesn't cost you anything.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #11 on: March 4, 2020, 03:24:02 PM »
Really,  no one is forcing you to buy any miniature kits.

Sure, but you have to look at what is does to the hobby as a whole, the unnecessary high prices push people away from the game and hobby. It has become so expensive, that there are people who sit outside the hobby, which buy the "cheap" boxsets from discount online stores just to split them up and sell out. It has also spawned a nock off industry lol.

This pulls $$ away from local stores, which can not exist on tourney fees alone, which has impacts for the hobby.

The high prices is a also a barrier for new players, and for existing players to maintain the hobby. This all contributes to a shrinking player base.

40k fans are passionate about the hobby, they are the ones who've helped the company exist up until this point. GW's response to that, is, to basically kick them in the nut and push them out the door.

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #12 on: March 4, 2020, 03:41:48 PM »
I agree the price for the 5 models is at least a bit high (even for USD) and I am also saddened that the sculpts aren't much different. I have a single set of 10 previous metal ones which I don't use anyway so I don't need the models. I have three full squads of metal Scorpions and Reapers as well. Assuming the sculpts are still similar I probably won't need replacements either.

Plastic kits are great. I'm not going to put updated down. It is somewhat saddening that cost and no real difference doesn't spark interest for me.

I'm hoping the kits that REALLY need it will be done justice. Shining Spears, Swooping Hawks, and Warp Spiders are kits in the most dire need. And they'll totally sucker me into buying several boxes of each (even though i have a full squad of the neat Russian Spiders from ebay).

Offline Nutty

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
  • Armies: Craftworld Eldar, Imperial Guard, Tau
« Reply #13 on: March 5, 2020, 02:40:22 AM »
The recast industry is booming at the moment: not only because of the prices, but also because the 'worth' a unit has on the tabletop can change very quickly.

Also there's been a lot of progress in 3d design and printing, so it's becoming a lot easier for companies to design and sell their own bits and models. Well, maybe 'easy' isn't the right word.. but the entry barrier is a lot lower.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #14 on: March 5, 2020, 05:37:35 PM »
Also there's been a lot of progress in 3d design and printing, so it's becoming a lot easier for companies to design and sell their own bits and models. Well, maybe 'easy' isn't the right word.. but the entry barrier is a lot lower.

well the less cynical part of me thinks GW is doing a cash grab until they can think of a way to exist in a world with easy 3d printing. Right now 3d printing is doable, just not headache free, once those kinks are worked out....

I could see them  selling the stl's, but there's a number of apps now that are like clay sculpting, but they will work out the effects of moving a body part, would be sweat to just position the model how you want it.

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2020, 07:40:25 PM »
I'm excited about plastics for most things. I now have a sisters army, bit pricey and I admit I kit bashed my own exorcists because I know I can't afford $80 each. I just scraped together $35 to get the loonboss on giant squig, such a cool model and will lead my night goblins. I do have the original metal one too.As for banshees, I have all 3 incarnations of them and will add at least one box to them. I love my metal Jain and won't buy her but could actually get her for my birthday or something. Agreed prices have spiraled out of control but enjoyment of the collecting and gaming with them somehow makes it worth it. Enjoy!
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2020, 10:33:09 PM »
Prices have increased, but you do get what you pay for.  GW has some of the best model designs and production values on the market (from what I can see).  The models are absolutely beautiful.  Hell, even something as simple as an Intercessor is incredibly designed.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Hendarion

• Brushrage
« Reply #17 on: April 1, 2020, 12:54:01 AM »
They look quite good IMHO... but they are not that much better looking than the old ones to justify me replacing them.
But the Banshees show no visual improvement over the much older sculpts, which is simply unforgivable in my opinion.
They were never meant to look "better" or "different" and I don't know why they should. They were meant to look like Jes Goodwin's designs ever since. They did in the first incarnation and they did in the 3rd and now in plastic too. The move to plastic was just to replace resin (or metal if you had those). I think the sculptors did a proper job reflecting the designs, even though I am not too happy about the hair first going "forward" from the center of the helmet before flowing backwards.
The models also weren't meant for you to replace your existing ones, but to extend your range with plastic (no matter if you already have them or not) as we were asking for plastic for ages.
« Last Edit: April 1, 2020, 12:59:37 AM by Hendarion »